Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

bewbies posted:

It is very complicated and isn't exactly my area of expertise but I'll try and answer this from a US army perspective. If we're talking about a high intensity conflict and light maneuver units (infantry or Stryker), the following is available:

Where does MLRS fit into this? At what level of command are those things assigned?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

SeanBeansShako posted:

Pretty sure they grabbed and annexed Korea before the thirties guys.

SpaceViking posted:

It's not worded great, but I think they were talking about China.

Yes, I know Japan grabbed Korea before the 1930s, and I was talking about China

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

SpaceViking posted:

It's not worded great, but I think they were talking about China.

IIRC in the 1930s the government didn't want to grab all of China but junior officers decided to manufacture poo poo like the Mukden Incident in order to take it all over. Then everything gradually snowballed because nobody wanted to lose face.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Phanatic posted:

Where does MLRS fit into this? At what level of command are those things assigned?

According to this http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/army/unit/toe/ MLRS is a Division(Armored or Mechanized) and Corps level piece.

I don't know if they get attached to lower level units in common practice.

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004

Nenonen posted:

I see you misspelled www.topicsinkoreanhistory.com there. But this is some top notch stuff so I will forgive you for the 404! :tipshat:

Gack! Thanks for that.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Why did Japan abandon Korea after conquering it the first time?

Even if the Ming hadn't intervened, once Hideyoshi died it was a scramble for the powerful Lords to get back to the mainland to secure their position there. They didn't want to be stuck out on the frontiers while people made plays for power at home.

Rabhadh posted:

The idea was that most naval engagements are won by boarding, so making it harder to board your ships and easier to board the enemies ship is what you want.

Basically this. The reason the Korean Panokseon (the board roofed ship) and the Kobukseon (the Turtle ship) were so effective was because they turned over the game board of naval strategy.

The Turtle ship could get close and was unboardable.

The Panokseon could stay 500m away and blast with it's 12+ heavy cannons. Put a few 9 foot long explosive fire bolts through the weak cedar hull of an enemy boat operating in rocky and strange waters and then let nature do the hard work. That's why Yi Sunshin's Summer/Fall 1592 campaigns were so one sided. The Japanese could only fight one way and Yi prevented them from doing that so essentially the Japanese couldn't fight at all.

folgore posted:

How seaworthy was a ship like this? It seems like it would be incredibly top-heavy.

It was seaworthy enough to make the crossing to Korea. But it was supposed to be an entertainment ship that demonstrated Hideyoshi's power and culture.

The inner one is the Ataka Bune class which was the largest standard class while the outer one is a one-off run of ships made by Hideyoshi's predecessor Oda Nobunaga in the 1570s. The Nihon Maru (which basically translates to the SS Japan, it was the flagsip) from the picture was built in 1591 and likely was even wider than Oda Nobunaga's special ships. The castle was really showy and probably wasn't that sturdy or well built. Lots of paper walls and light wood.

Even if it was a real fortification, I don't think Korean naval strategy and fighting ability (and by fighting ability I mean a bunch of unarmoured poorly trained peasants with spears) would have allowed a siege. Why bother attacking it when you can just hang back and sink the ship?

Anyways, it wasn't intentionally sent into battle. It was in the port of Angolpo and ended up getting caught in the battle after Yi pursued the survivors of the Battle of Hansan Island back there. But it ended up being so darn big that it was unsinkable. Admiral Yi sent the Turtle ships (called the Flying Squadron, probably the best unit name of the war) to try and take it out but the people on board had carefully prepared anti-incendiary defences and were able to extinguish the fires and patch holes in the hull. The Japanese account of this battle is actually their only mention of Turtle ships and it's here that they say they were "covered in iron". No Korean source supports the "turtleship as an Ironclad" theory but that hasn't prevented modern day nationalists running wild with the quote. Pretty much every serious milhist these days agrees that it didn't have an iron shell. It had a thick pine shell covered in iron spikes that were concealed with straw which was kept wet with seawater.

The Nihon Maru itself actually survived until 1856! Then it was broken into pieces and parts were moved into storage but it was destroyed by bombing in WWII. And because this is inevitably going to turn back into WWII chat, there's an interesting comparison between Yi Sunshin's leadership and that of the Soviet Commissars. Both had their men keep "ledgers of atrocities" and then encouraged them to repay those atrocities. Admiral Yi's war diary is pretty dark.

THE LUMMOX fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Dec 8, 2012

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
You know your stuff so mind if I ask this, I'm curious at what the average Ming Chinese and Korean foot soldier would have worn and used in the 15th century during all of this?

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004

SeanBeansShako posted:

You know your stuff so mind if I ask this, I'm curious at what the average Ming Chinese and Korean foot soldier would have worn and used in the 15th century during all of this?

Basically for 200 years all the Koreans ever had to do was chase away pirates and fight Jurchen raiders in the north. Fighting in the north basically meant hanging around in a fort until the raiders came. Then shooting at them with the ridiculously awesome composite bows that had a range of like 400+m and then following up with heavily armoured cavalry. The Korean cavalry were heavily armoured and well trained and great. They fought with huge flails.

But the infantry were almost entirely neglected. The infantry had almost no armour whatsoever beyond a padded jacket and felt cap. When they had shields (which was not often) they were bamboo.

Seriously look at these poor guys.

Compared to the Japanese who had scale armour of iron and treated leather. It's not an exaggeration to compare it to the British vs. Zulu or Conquistadors vs. Indigenous Americans. Because training took so long, as soon as the experienced troops died the superior bows were useless. The remaining peasant levies usually fought with crappy swords and long trident like spears.

There was a common joke that if Korea was ironed flat, it would be as big as China. Look at this topographical map:

Korea is terrible country for cavalry. Cavalry is great when you're on the Yalu river attacking a short distance north or travelling up and down its banks putting out hotspots. But as soon as you're south of Pyongyang (which means flat land city) it's basically rocky mountains 600-1200m high the entire way to the southern tip. Not impossible to traverse by any means but it's a significant obstacle that really slows an army down. On the main road from Busan to Seoul there was one pass that was basically as defensible (possible moreso given the skill of Korean archers) as Thermopylae. The problem was that the Korean generals came from a 200 year tradition of "send out the cavalry" so instead of fortifying the pass, they let the Japanese travel through it and met them in the valley below it. In the Battle of Chungju the general sent wave after wave of Korea's best soldiers to die in the rice paddies in the valley below in futile cavalry charges against Japanese musketeers who were stacked rank upon rank and protected by long spearmen.

Because it was a multiracial empire, the Ming forces were a lot more varied. The Koreans hated when the Ming sent northerners from Liaoning because culturally they were very similar to the Jurchen "barbarians". They were also not much better than the Japanese in terms of how they treated the local Korean peasants. They were also cavalry and thus pretty useless. They did have awesome interlocking steel armour called "Mountain" pattern. It resembled chain mail but it formed more of a plate and it's called Mountain because it vaguely resembled the Chinese character for the word mountain.

What the Koreans always wanted more of was hard southern Ming infantry who were disciplined, "civilized" (they were Han Chinese) , had long spears, were well armoured, and were experts at land based cannon warfare. But a major problem was that the Korean winter was brutal for these southern troops.

THE LUMMOX fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Dec 8, 2012

awesomecopter
Aug 16, 2012

THE LUMMOX posted:

Korea is terrible country for cavalry. Cavalry is great when you're on the Yalu river attacking a short distance north or travelling up and down it's banks putting out hotspots. But as soon as you're south of Pyongyang (which means flat land city) it's basically rocky mountains 600-1200m high mountains the entire way to the southern tip.

This fact was relearned by the US during the Korean War. the mountains of Korea that made life difficult for cavalry also made life difficult for Armored Vehicles. The jagged terrain slowed progress and made aiming difficult (tanks have limited vertical gun traverse). As such the US had a limited armored presence in Korea, and when the Chinese attacked with their infantry the tanks could not act in the decisive role as expected.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

awesomecopter posted:

This fact was relearned by the US during the Korean War. the mountains of Korea that made life difficult for cavalry also made life difficult for Armored Vehicles. The jagged terrain slowed progress and made aiming difficult (tanks have limited vertical gun traverse). As such the US had a limited armored presence in Korea, and when the Chinese attacked with their infantry the tanks could not act in the decisive role as expected.

Most the tanks sent to Korea ended up parked on ramps to act as additional artillery pieces once the mobile phase of the conflict ended.

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006

GyverMac posted:

I'm wondering about just how involved the Soviet union was in the Angolan civil war. I understaind they had boots on the ground, but was it just in advisory roles, or did they actively participate in major battles with a large number of forces?

Cubans did the flying and fighting. As far as I know.

e: with freely handed out soviet equipment, of course.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Most the tanks sent to Korea ended up parked on ramps to act as additional artillery pieces once the mobile phase of the conflict ended.

Yeah, pretty much turned into an infantry slugfest in the hills. Kind of weird seeing the massive advances back and forth during WW2 go straight back to WW1-level movements for 2 years straight.

uinfuirudo
Aug 11, 2007

wdarkk posted:

IIRC in the 1930s the government didn't want to grab all of China but junior officers decided to manufacture poo poo like the Mukden Incident in order to take it all over. Then everything gradually snowballed because nobody wanted to lose face.

Actually Japan started taking Chinese lands even earlier, in 1895, after the end of the first Sino-Japanese war. They only got around to annexing Korea in 1910, despite all but owning it after the results of this war.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Sino-Japanese_War

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
Doing my duty for king and coutry since 86
was there any major fighting on the maginot line in 1940 or was it simply outflanked via Belgium/Holland

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Trench_Rat posted:

was there any major fighting on the maginot line in 1940 or was it simply outflanked via Belgium/Holland

Yes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maginot_line#German_invasion_in_World_War_II

After the German army swept through the Ardennes and penetrated the Maginot line fortifications along the Belgian border, the German decoy army attacked through the French-German section of the Maginot line.

Woohoo
Apr 1, 2008
There's something I've always, always wondered about.

Why is poison so little used (or mentioned) throughout history of warfare?
I mean, humankind seems to have known quite strong toxins from very early ages (as evident from numerous poison-based assassinations), given enormous advantage covering one's simple weapon with poison, why wasn't poison ever popular? All I've heard of are some hunter-gatherer tribes or rare battles in time of ancient Greece using this or that at this one battle...

I imagine you could supply a barrel of poison to some ragtag peasant militia armed with pitchforks and crappy bows and send them against well-equipped and armed army triple that size and still make considerable dent in enemy lines.

It's rather weird how basic biological warfare (dropping poo poo, rats, lepers and corpses at enemy to cause illnesses and plague) was commonplace, but not simplest and most effective form of chemical warfare -- boil some bad plants or something and dip your swords in to make "scratches" count tenfold.

So were those moral issues? Ethics? Cultivation & production cost? Or something else? I don't think Bible restricts poison so why weren't we seeing this in 99999 battles of middle ages? I don't think it was too high-tech for history neither, knowledge of plants were probably even higher back then due wider usage of herbal medicine and hit&miss nature of it.

Woohoo fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Dec 10, 2012

DasReich
Mar 5, 2010

Woohoo posted:

I mean, humankind seems to have known quite strong toxins from very early ages (as evident from numerous poison-based assassinations), given enormous advantage covering one's simple weapon with poison, why wasn't poison ever popular? All I've heard of are some hunter-gatherer tribes or rare battles in time of ancient Greece using this or that at this one battle...

I imagine you could supply a barrel of poison to some ragtag peasant militia armed with pitchforks and crappy bows and send them against well-equipped and armed army triple that size and still make considerable dent in enemy lines.

It's rather weird how basic biological warfare (dropping poo poo, rats, lepers and corpses at enemy to cause illnesses and plague) was commonplace, but not simplest and most effective form of chemical warfare -- boil some bad plants or something and dip your swords in to make "scratches" count tenfold.

So were those moral issues? Ethics? Cultivation & production cost? Or something else? I don't think Bible restricts poison so why weren't we seeing this in 99999 battles of middle ages? I don't think it was too high-tech for history neither, knowledge of plants were probably even higher back then due wider usage of herbal medicine and hit&miss nature of it.

Lack of effectiveness. Poisoning wells could be a fun little project, but coating weapons was not really necessary. Being poisoned was the least of your worries after being struck with something as damaging as a morningstar or battle axe. Infection and poor medical treatment were more likely to kill you.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Woohoo posted:

So were those moral issues? Ethics? Cultivation & production cost? Or something else? I don't think Bible restricts poison so why weren't we seeing this in 99999 battles of middle ages? I don't think it was too high-tech for history neither, knowledge of plants were probably even higher back then due wider herbal medicine.

Poisons of the past were very slow-acting. You can't stab someone with belladonna or wolf's bane and make a significant difference in battle.

Feces was a very common poison. Soldiers of many eras would rub their spear points and swords with manure (pig or human) before a battle, in order to cause infections that would fester and turn gangrenous sooner. This isn't mentioned for the same reason history books don't mention that heavy infantry went to the bathroom inside their armour - it's unpleasant, dishonourable, and not particularly relevant to history.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Is it really worth the effort if the other guy can just chop your head off in five seconds or shoot a cannonball through your intestines anyway? In the end it's still about who pokes the other side with steel better.

Also remember that until pretty deep in firearms era most warfare was not concerned with straight killing the other dudes as much as breaking their formation and doing what you please with them while they retreat.

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
Untill the american civil war (and maybe the first world war) poor medical conditions killed more soldiers than weapons

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Woohoo posted:

Eh, dead animals and refuse were more readily available AND more effective than whathever they would be able to make. And when you want a rag tag militia to kill someone - what's the more expedient choice, have them use manure that's lying everywhere as Chamale suggested, or send them a pouch of something with which they are more likely to kill themselves than the enemy?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Trench_Rat posted:

Untill the american civil war (and maybe the first world war) poor medical conditions killed more soldiers than weapons

Yes, and it was exacerbated by opposing armies whenever possible. Covering weapons with poo poo to cause nasty infections is an old tradition, but there are other examples. The Black Plague got its start in Europe when the Mongols attacking Caffa used catapults to fling diseased corpses into the city. Bayonets in the 18th century had three edges in order to make a wound that couldn't be sewn up. An epidemic of influenza after World War I killed more people than the war itself. Insurgent groups like the Viet Cong and Mujahideen set traps designed to cause crippling injuries, which is more costly to the invading army than killing someone outright.

Woohoo
Apr 1, 2008
Thanks.

Poisoning a well (or whatever water supply) from dark ages up to early gunpowder age would be actually awesome idea, since war camps were huge, slow and a simple saboteur dressed as beggar or pilgrim would gone unnoticed: as much as I've read, many of the big armies were followed by myriad of gypsies, merchants, barbers, entertainers and so on, because group of thousands of soldiers still needed services, goods and place to spend their loot. Especially since they had loot and likely no permission to leave the warband to spend it elsewhere.

Guerrilla warfare with the aid of poison would quite effective, given lack in medicine and hygiene.
E: And "slow-acting" would help to cover the effect until it's too late to raise alarm and close down the water supply.

Woohoo fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Dec 10, 2012

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Woohoo posted:

Thanks.

Poisoning a well (or whatever water supply) from dark ages up to early gunpowder age would be actually awesome idea, since war camps were huge, slow and a simple saboteur dressed as beggar or pilgrim would gone unnoticed: as much as I've read, many of the big armies were followed by myriad of gypsies, merchants, barbers, entertainers and so on, because group of thousands of soldiers still needed services, goods and place to spend their loot. Especially since they had loot and likely no permission to leave the warband to spend it elsewhere.

Guerrilla warfare with the aid of poison would quite effective, given lack in medicine and hygiene.

Well, chances are that the water was poisonous already... There was a reason why people used to drink so much beer, wine and cider: Untreated water from communal sources would gently caress them up.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Woohoo posted:

Thanks.

Poisoning a well is one tactic, but blocking it could be even better. Before the Battle of Hattin, Saladin's forces figured out that Crusaders were marching towards a water supply so they simply plugged the wells. Despite being lightly armoured and outnumbered, Saladin's forces easily won the battle against a group of desperate Europeans dying of thirst in the desert.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
I have a question about submarines in the Second World War (although I think it also applies to the models used in the first). Specifically, what was the use of the sail/conning tower during submerged operations? Was it used for anything? Was it flooded? Was is its own small pressure hull? For that matter, is it used in modern submarines? It seems like extending the primary pressure hull to cover such a portrusion would weaken the overall structure.

DasReich
Mar 5, 2010

Athas posted:

I have a question about submarines in the Second World War (although I think it also applies to the models used in the first). Specifically, what was the use of the sail/conning tower during submerged operations? Was it used for anything? Was it flooded? Was is its own small pressure hull? For that matter, is it used in modern submarines? It seems like extending the primary pressure hull to cover such a portrusion would weaken the overall structure.

It serves 2 main purposes. It's a lookout. In ww2 radar was still in its infancy, and in the early war period, many subs didn't have it. That and even today a blip doesn't tell you if you're looking at a nice juicy merchant convoy of the enemy or your own carrier battle group. The best way to tell was dudes with sharp eyes and binoculars. Second, it gets your periscope and other instruments closer to the surface without exposing the majority of the hull .

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006

quote:

The conning tower of a submarine was a small watertight compartment within its sail (or fin in British usage) equipped with instruments and controls and from which the periscopes were used to direct the boat and launch torpedo attacks. It should not be confused with the submarine's control room, which was directly below it in the main pressure hull; or the bridge, a small exposed platform in the top of the sail.

As improvements in technology allowed the periscopes to be made longer it became unnecessary to raise the conning station above the main pressure hull. The USS Triton (SSRN-586) was the last American submarine to have a conning tower. The additional conning tower pressure hull was eliminated and its functions were added to the command and control center. Thus it is incorrect to refer to the sail of a modern submarine as a conning tower.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conning_tower

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Athas posted:

The conning tower doesn't have much use while you're submerged, but keep in mind that as of World War 1-2, submarines spent a LOT of time on the surface because battery power was limited to a few hours and so was oxygen/breathable air.

When you're attacking ships with your deck gun, when you're attacking ships at night, when you're making long transits and when you're patrolling, you're usually surfaced, which means that the conning tower is useful as an observation platform.

In all submarines, it's still part of the same pressure hull - they just secure it with a watertight hatch as the sub goes under. (EDIT: Apparently it's a sail for modern subs and no longer a conning tower. I stand corrected there) In modern submarines, it's still used as a housing for the periscope, but also as a mounting for the dive planes and the various electronic antennae.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Dec 10, 2012

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Trench_Rat posted:

It wasn't really until Vietnam (or maybe a bit in Korea) where a soldier could sustain a serious wound in combat and have a reasonable expectation to survive. Helicopter medivacs were a godsend for wounded troops.

Even in WWII, certain types of wounds basically got you some last rites read and that's about it. There was a ton of problems with infections if you were in heavy combat and were under supplied with the right medical equipment, which happened a lot.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of battle wounds, I'm almost finished with Antony Beevor's Stalingrad and the last couple of chapters have been nothing but pure :smith: at the conditions inside the 6th Armee kessel. The conditions described were just so goddamn bad I had to put it down at times to cleanse my mental palate. Just the vision of hordes of lice living off soldiers for months at a time is enough to make one shiver.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Do yourself a favour and don't pick up Anne Applebaums Gulag (not military history but a fantastic book none the less) if you don't like reading about lice.

DasReich
Mar 5, 2010

VikingSkull posted:

It wasn't really until Vietnam (or maybe a bit in Korea) where a soldier could sustain a serious wound in combat and have a reasonable expectation to survive. Helicopter medivacs were a godsend for wounded troops.

Even in WWII, certain types of wounds basically got you some last rites read and that's about it. There was a ton of problems with infections if you were in heavy combat and were under supplied with the right medical equipment, which happened a lot.

I disagree for one reason. Penicillin. WW1 really broke the mold for truly horrible ways to die. Medical care in the field and behind the lines improved drastically between the wars.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

The conning tower doesn't have much use while you're submerged, but keep in mind that as of World War 1-2, submarines spent a LOT of time on the surface because battery power was limited to a few hours and so was oxygen/breathable air.

When you're attacking ships with your deck gun, when you're attacking ships at night, when you're making long transits and when you're patrolling, you're usually surfaced, which means that the conning tower is useful as an observation platform.

In all submarines, it's still part of the same pressure hull - they just secure it with a watertight hatch as the sub goes under. (EDIT: Apparently it's a sail for modern subs and no longer a conning tower. I stand corrected there) In modern submarines, it's still used as a housing for the periscope, but also as a mounting for the dive planes and the various electronic antennae.

WWI subs actually did more damage by attacking with their deck guns than with torpedoes, and in WW2 a favored tactic for sinking merchantmen used by both the Axis and Allies was to surface alongside and start popping away with the flak gun. Torpedoes weren't very reliable for quite some time.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

VikingSkull posted:

But in WWII infection wasn't the primary killer, it was bleeding out; if you made it back to the aid station or field hospital where people could work on you, you stood a a much better chance. That's why helicopter medevac was such a big deal, it let you save a whole lot of people who were only being lost because you couldn't stop them from bleeding to death.

tallkidwithglasses posted:

Torpedoes weren't very reliable for quite some time.

Early-war American torpedoes were so fantastically unreliable that I'm amazed that nobody went to jail over them.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Dec 10, 2012

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

gradenko_2000 posted:

Speaking of battle wounds, I'm almost finished with Antony Beevor's Stalingrad and the last couple of chapters have been nothing but pure :smith: at the conditions inside the 6th Armee kessel. The conditions described were just so goddamn bad I had to put it down at times to cleanse my mental palate. Just the vision of hordes of lice living off soldiers for months at a time is enough to make one shiver.

Ive been so close to buying that book on several occasions, but everytime I put it back down because I know that reading about the eastern front just makes me go :smith: and loose all faith in humanity all over again.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Phanatic posted:

But in WWII infection wasn't the primary killer, it was bleeding out; if you made it back to the aid station or field hospital where people could work on you, you stood a a much better chance. That's why helicopter medevac was such a big deal, it let you save a whole lot of people who were only being lost because you couldn't stop them from bleeding to death.

Early-war American torpedoes were so fantastically unreliable that I'm amazed that nobody went to jail over them.

Someone needs to go find those quotes from this thread and the old GBS History thread for Torpchat because it never ceases to amaze me just how bad they were.

Edit: So much so that I found them myself. (Helps that I quoted both earlier in the thread)

gradenko_2000 posted:

I could write a book on faulty WW2 torpedoes.

The gyroscope thing is actually a two-stage series of mishaps:

The first is a circular-running torpedo. As you described, torpedoes would have gyroscopes fitted to them so that subs could make off-angle torpedo shots. You'd program a certain heading for the torpedo to take, and the torp would turn to the new angle a few seconds after being shot out the tube.

The problem was that sometimes the gyroscope would not work correctly and so would never tell the torpedo to stop turning, hence being called a circular running torpedo since it would go around in circles. Since submarines tend to move rather slowly (at least relative to the torpedo) when submerged and making attacks, this can be deadly.

Here's where my content begins: In order to solve the problem of circular running, designers attached a SECOND gyroscope to torpedoes. If the second gyro measured a heading that exceeded the programmed turn by 15 degrees or more, the torpedo would self-destruct.

That would solve the problem completely, right? It would, except for the fact that sometimes, torpedoes would fail to shoot from their tubes correctly. Whenever this happened, the sub captain would just order the torpedomen to not touch the tube at all until the end of the patrol.

However, another US submarine was lost after the introduction of the second self-destruct gyro because one of their torpedoes failed to eject from the tube properly during a spread shot, and the submarine then began a turn for evasive action. Since the torpedo was still in the sub, and the sub turned 15 degrees beyond its original heading, the second gyro thought it was in a circular run and triggered the self-destruct, while it was still inside the torpedo tube.

And then of course the problems with magnetic detonators would have to take up a few chapters themselves:

In the beginning, most torpedoes used contact detonators. They'd have a 'pin' at the very front tip of the torpedo that would depress when the torpedo hits a solid object (preferably at a right angle), and the torpedo would explode. In fact, this is how most movies depict torpedo hits.

The problem with this approach is that it's wasteful. So much of your energy is being wasted as it channels 'up' out of the water, as in the big splash of water during when you see those movie-torpedoes.

The solution was to exploit the unique property of water. It's incompressible. If you exert force on a sponge, it shrinks. If you exert force on water, it just moves out of the way. If it can't move out of the way, something else has to.

Therefore, if you detonate a torpedo BELOW a ship, then the water, being incompressible, will instead 'push' the ship. Since your explosion is small relative to the ship, only a small part of the ship will be pushed up. As it gets pushed up, the weight of the opposite ends of the ship will bear down on the small portion affected by the torpedoes explosion. In effect, the ship breaks its own back.

Only, how do get a torpedo to detonate BELOW a ship? Answer: Magnets! Rig a magnet to the head of a torpedo, and when it passes under the great metal mass of a ship, the magnet should detect a great change in the magnetic field. Attune the detonator to the magnet, and you'll theoretically have something that blows up when it passes under a ship.

The problem was that both the German and American Navies did their testing without taking into account the effect of the magnetic field exerted by the EARTH. The Americans tested theirs in Narangasett Bay in Rhode Island, which meant that when they were fighting in the equatorial areas of the Pacific Theater, the magnetic influence was only half as powerful as it was relative to the tests. As a result, most of the torpedoes either detonated early, or never detected a sufficient change and just sailed right under the ships.

The Germans had a slightly different problem - when they deployed their U-Boats to interdict British ships during their invasion of Norway, they found that their torpedoes kept detonating early, even though it seemed to work just fine everywhere else. The issue? Iron deposits. In the shallow waters of the Norwegian Sea, clumps of iron below the sea floor exerted a powerful enough change in the magnetic field that it caused the torpedoes to detonate as it sailed above them. It got so bad that even the best U-Boat aces just up and refused to take shots during the 1940 campaign until the kinks in the system were worked out.

quote:

I cannot believe there's no youtube video of the Konovalov being struck by her own torpedo. "You arrogant rear end in a top hat! You've killed us!"

A similar situation actually happened with the German's first-generation acoustic-homing torpedoes. They were supposed to travel straight for about 400 meters, then turn towards the noisiest target it could hear.

The problem was that if you're shooting at bunch of transports plodding along at 7 to 10 knots nearly a klick away, and your own sub is making waves taking evasive action, the torpedo is going to recognize YOU as the noisier target. The results are rather obvious.

The Germans then determined that it was only prudent to use these particular torpedoes against the faster running convoy escorts such as Destroyers or Corvettes, and even then only when they're moving faster than 15 knots.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Gotland_(Gtd)#cite_note-9

As a final note, there's also the story of the HMS Gotland, a Swedish diesel-electric submarine that managed to get close enough to the USS Ronald Reagan to snap some pictures of it through its periscope, effectively signifying that the carrier could have been sunk if it was a live-fire exercise.

Maybe next time I'll post about the problems the US Navy had with its contact detonators.

Phanatic posted:

It's amazing to me that nobody went to jail over how awful American torpedoes were in WWII. The air-dropped Mark 13 mentioned above was consistently miserable until late in the war; one exercise in 1941 dropped 10 torpedoes, only one of which worked properly (four out of the ten just sank). A survey done in 1943 found that of 105 dropped at speeds > 150 knots, only 31% worked properly; 36% of them didn't even run. And the Mark 13 wasn't the worst torpedo.

The really really lovely one was the Mark 14/Mark 15 (basically the same design, the 14 was sub-launched, the 15 was launched from destroyers. This was a new! and improved! design replacing the old WWI-era Mark 10. It had a fancy-schmancy magnetic detonator, so that it could explode under the keel of the target ship, doing much more damage than one that runs straight into the side and explodes in contact. And it was totally loving useless. Seriously, not an exagerration, the thing didn't work at all.

See, the same government base, the Newport Torpedo Station, was by act of Congress the only developer, manufacturer, and tester of torpedoes in the entire country, with no third-party evaluation of testing processes or results whatsoever. No full live-fire test of the mark 14 was ever performed; there were trial firings, but none involved actual warheads.

Then we went to war, and then all the sub commanders started to realize that the torpedoes were poo poo almost immediately. In December of '41, USS Sargo fires 8 at two Japanese merchantmen, none hit. The captain finds another two merchantmen, spends an hour making sure the targeting computer's results match perfectly with the pencil-and-paper trigonometry results, and fires four more torpedoes, none hit. A few days later he fires another one at a big-rear end slow-as-hell tanker, another miss. USS Seadragon has an almost identical experience: 8 torpedoes fired, only one hit. In 1943, the USS Tunny sets up an attack on three Japanese carriers, firing 10 torpedoes. 7 of them actually explode, but none of the carriers are damaged.

Probably the single most egregious example was when USS Tinosa tried to sink a Japanese factory whaling ship. They hit the thing with two fish (out of 4), stopping it dead in the water. Then the captain maneuvered to only 800 yards off her beam, and methodically fired 9 more torpedoes, tracking each one through the periscope. Every single one was a dud. He saved his last torpedo so it could be analyzed, and sailed back to base pissed as gently caress. In another almost-identical experience, USS Haddock stops a big tanker with 2 hits, and then puts another 11 torpedoes into her, all of which fail to explode.

The unanimous opinion of sub commanders that the things didn't loving work led eventually to an Bureau of Ordnance investigation. Sort of.

The design actually had several different problems, but each problem made it harder to find the other. First problem is that the thing ran too deep; remember, there were no true live-fire tests done, and during testing the torpedo had a dummy warhead made of concrete, which was lighter than the actual warhead. And then later on, the warhead was replaced with a heavier one. Bottom line was that the thing would just run too far under the target ship for the magnetic detonator to sense the hull and detonate the warhead. Sub skippers just started setting the things to run at zero depth so that at *least* they'd run shallow enough to hit the target, and the Bureau of Ordnance concluded that the testing and design of the depth mechanism was inadequate. So subs started getting more hits.

But not getting more *kills*. Fixing the depth problem just revealed more problems. The magnetic detonator on the Mark VI fuse was also screwy, typically being too sensitive, so the warhead would explode too early and do minimal or no damage to the target. The Navy flat-out refused to believe that anything could possibly be wrong with this high-tech $10,000 device. During that investigation, the government investigator sabotaged one of the loving torpedoes that was used during the trial! He reversed its gyroscope, which meant it wouldn't run straight, and then blamed that fault on the maintenance crew on the sub it came from. Sub skippers started ordering the magnetic feature deactivated on all their torpedoes, so now at *least* they'd run straight into the sides of the target and detonate using the conventional contact fuse. But then they started getting more duds.

Because the contact fuse also sucked. In one test, they dropped 10 torpedoes from a 90' crane, and 7 of them failed to go off. The firing mechanism of the Mark VI was so massive and had so much inertia that a straight-on hit (which everyone was trained to try to achieve) resulted in it bending, jamming, and otherwise failing to fire. Once this was discovered, they started aiming for lower-angle hits, and the fuses began to be remanufactured with lighter, aluminum components.

By the end of the war, it was a fairly-reliable design. So was the Mark 13. The planned replacement for the Mark 14, the Mark 18, was an all-electric design that *also* sucked. It was a copy of a German design, and had the promised advantage of not leaving a bubble trail, so it would be harder to spot and not point the way back to the launch point. But the batteries were weak and had to be recharged frequently, it was slow, it tended to damage itself just being launched, and had no mechanism to protect against a circular run; the USS Tang, the most successful US sub ever, was sunk by one of its own Mark 18s.

Here's a lot more depth on how hosed-up the Mark 14 really was and why:

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USN/Admin-Hist/BuOrd/BuOrd-6.html

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Dec 10, 2012

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

VikingSkull posted:

The rate of survival for a seriously wounded man given medical attention within an hour was 4% in WW1, 50% in 1942 and 80% in 1945.

If you could be seen by a medic within an hour and evacuated to a field hospital within four hours - and the entire US Army Medical Corps was geared up to do exactly that - you stood a pretty drat good chance of survival. This was in Europe, though, where medics, doctors and field hospitals could easily follow the front line as the army advances; helicopter medevacs became useful in the fluid combat conditions of Vietnam (as well as Iraq and Afghanistan) where terrain and infrastructure meant that traditional forms of transport couldn't be used.

Penicillin and other antibiotics (and the various powders medics put on wounds to protect against infection) had a pretty big effect on casualty survival rates, and evacuation by helicopter had a decent effect as well; but it was triage which was responsible for most of the leap from a 4% chance to a 50% chance.

Triage seperates patients into three categories:

• Those who are likely to live, regardless of what care they receive;
  • Those who are likely to die, regardless of what care they receive;
  • Those for whom immediate care might make a positive difference in outcome

If it wasn't for triage, many soldiers evacuated from the battlefield - whether by vehicle, air or being slung over someones shoulder - would never have been picked up at all and would simply have died where they had fallen.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Phanatic posted:

German torpedos were almost as bad when the war started, but got fixed faster. Mostly because Dönitz threw a screaming fit after Norway and sacked, demoted and/or reassigned to the shittiest dead-end jobs avaiable a load of people working for the german counterpart of BuOrd.

Magni fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Dec 10, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
A loving enemy sabotage program straight out of a James Bond story probably couldn't have done more damage to the U.S. war effort in the Pacific than the incompetence of everyone involved with the torpedo factory actually did.

The true reason nobody ended up in jail was probably that everyone except the janitor was guilty and thanks to their monopoly of production facilities there'd be nobody left to build torpedoes once the guilty had been punished. Not to mention the top brass and the responsible Congressional bodies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut
Did the IJN have really lovely anti-sub doctrine or what? Because even despite the shoddy American torpedoes, the unrestricted campaign waged in the Pacific seemed pretty effective. I also realize that US subs weren't the only Allied boats operating in the region, but I'm assuming they were the majority.

• Locked thread