Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Mill Village posted:

Found something good at my local Disc Replay for once.

They also had some Super Nintendos in this time, but they very yellow. :negative:
People go crazy over Persona, but I thought DDS was superior in nearly every way. Nocturne too.

A good find :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Vegastar posted:

4. Lost Dimension

That's Jim Power in the Lost Dimension in 3D :science:

I'm glad you enjoyed the gifts, when I heard about your meager SNES collection I figured it was best to concentrate on that. I tried throwing in a couple different things just so it wasn't all the same genre.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Harlock posted:

People go crazy over Persona, but I thought DDS was superior in nearly every way. Nocturne too.

A good find :)

You are a good person.

also sticker on box *hiss!*

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Vegastar posted:

Finally back from my quest for a top loading NES. Success! Set me back 60 bucks, but it's a Christmas present to me :3. All is right in the world.

I'm not sure if santa's clues were too obtuse or you guys are bad at guessing games, but 1 of you was correct about one game! They were:

1. Aladdin
2. Super Putty
3. Donkey Kong Country
4. Lost Dimension
5. Populous

Thanks again! I've never played the majority of these.

Aaaaaaah I had #5 right as well but I changed it to Actraiser. Retro rage!

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

iastudent posted:

That's Jim Power in the Lost Dimension in 3D :science:

I'm glad you enjoyed the gifts, when I heard about your meager SNES collection I figured it was best to concentrate on that. I tried throwing in a couple different things just so it wasn't all the same genre.
I'm excited to try them out. DKC is the only one I've played of the lot, and that was nearly 20 years ago when I had a SNES as a kid. Holy gently caress I'm old...

Just for the record, since I bought a SNES again and started posting in this thread, my fiancé's office has gone from a desk and storage space to this:

This is entirely your fault, retro thread.

Vegastar fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Dec 11, 2012

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Ineffiable posted:

You are a good person.

also sticker on box *hiss!*

I took the sticker off after reading this. They must have just got the game in recently because it came off easily. At least they don't stick them directly on the cover like Gamestop does. :argh:

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
My tiny modest Rakuten order just got in. I probably would have bought twice as much stuff, easily, if I knew I was gonna wait so long for an order confirmation, oh well! Also that flashed out thing is a 4MB RAM cart.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Mill Village posted:

They also had some Super Nintendos in this time, but they very yellow. :negative:

So? Peroxide and OxyClean. Retrobright gel if you feel like painting it instead of bathing it.

YELLOWING IS NOT UN-FIXABLE ON ANY PIECE OF PLASTIC OK GUYS

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Vegastar posted:

I'm excited to try them out. DKC is the only one I've played of the lot, and that was nearly 20 years ago when I had a SNES as a kid. Holy gently caress I'm old...

Just for the record, since I bought a SNES again and started posting in this thread, my fiancé's office has gone from a desk and storage space to this:

This is entirely your fault, retro thread.

Well you should at least share those games with her then. :v:

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

StellarX posted:

I used to do a bit of soldering back in the day, I was excellent at installing chips in playstations and xboxes so I shouldn't be this bad, but I've been messing up lately. I think my soldering iron is causing issues. It seems to take way too much pressure and time to get the solder to melt. It's a really cheap iron I got off amazon so I may try to get one from radio shack as well as the resistor. Is there anything in particular I should look for in a soldering iron for game/system repair?

I do already have a copy of Mario Kart that works great so if anyone else would like the broken one to tinker with, I'd be glad to give to you if you cover the shipping. Otherwise I may try to repair it.

I also already have a copy of Link to the Past apparently, if anyone would like that, just make me an offer.

A working iron should melt solder nearly instantaneously with no pressure.

I'd recommend something with a smaller tip, preferably a chisel type head.

http://www.mpja.com/Mini-Solder-Station-ZD-99/productinfo/15860+TL/

This is what I started with and it worked fine for creating a super gun, s-video modding an atari 7800 and various smaller projects.

scrub lover
Apr 22, 2005

Mill Village posted:

Found something good at my local Disc Replay for once.
I don't know about your DR, but the one in Flint MI is by far the best retro game store I've ever been to. Huge selection and prices that are often below retail.

Baldrash
Oct 26, 2005

Waku Waku 7? You have impeccable taste, sir.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Mill Village posted:

I took the sticker off after reading this. They must have just got the game in recently because it came off easily. At least they don't stick them directly on the cover like Gamestop does. :argh:

Yea, I recently bought some used gc games from someone online, and figured it be quick and easy, only to find out that the stickers were on the spine of the cover art, and not on the clear plastic.

I just left it there.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Baldrash posted:

Waku Waku 7? You have impeccable taste, sir.

The Neo Geo version is better. :colbert:

Baldrash
Oct 26, 2005

OSI bean dip posted:

No arguments here. It's still a fun game regardless of what you play it on.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

OSI bean dip posted:

But you can't play as Fernandez/Fernandeath on the Neo Geo version. :colbert:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The person I commissioned to do some crafty things for my Christmas gifts has completely hosed me so now I'm kind of scrambling for my secret santa. I have what I feel is enough to make a pretty good gift but I wanted something hand made for that extra special feel. Now I'm wondering if I should ship it tomorrow as is or try to make something myself despite my complete lack of artistic talent. Maybe my Santee for this thread will be my test case and you'll get some hideous thing from me either way...

And I think I just came up with either the cleverest or stupidest idea ever for a way to craft something for people as I was typing this. Either way it's going to be memorable.

But my Secret Santa's package arrived today!

What's in the box!?

A lot of cool stuff!

A modded Genesis and a healthy start to a collection!

The pirate cart came apart in shipping just like 80% of them do

The top famicom game is Chuugoku Senseijutsu which is essentially what Japan got instead of Taboo: The Sixth Sense. I'm going to use its powerful 8-bit future gaze to identify the best places to find cheap retrogames.

The bottom game is Taiyo no Shinden, aka Tombs and Treasures.

That's one hell of a box, Santa!

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Please tell me that doing the A/V mod on this NES101 will get rid of the jail bars. I just really fired it up to play, and good god they're obnoxious. I assume its an artifact of the RF switch, since my genesis does it, too.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Vegastar posted:

Please tell me that doing the A/V mod on this NES101 will get rid of the jail bars. I just really fired it up to play, and good god they're obnoxious. I assume its an artifact of the RF switch, since my genesis does it, too.

Nope :( Unfortunately the jailbars actually get worse with the composite mod (it makes them stick out more).

I could bother Drakon; he might know how because the RGB mod has no jailbars (pretty much).

Also you dudes are generous as hell with your secret Santa gifts! I can't wait for my recipient to get mine :3:

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Nope :( Unfortunately the jailbars actually get worse with the composite mod (it makes them stick out more).

I could bother Drakon; he might know how because the RGB mod has no jailbars (pretty much).

Also you dudes are generous as hell with your secret Santa gifts! I can't wait for my recipient to get mine :3:
Really? I've never seen them on my composite connected toaster. Maybe I can learn to ignore it. Or :retrogames: up a pc10 ppu. Probably better to learn to ignore it.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Vegastar posted:

Really? I've never seen them on my composite connected toaster. Maybe I can learn to ignore it. Or :retrogames: up a pc10 ppu. Probably better to learn to ignore it.

Yeah I never saw them on my toaster either (which is weird, because the jailbars are there on a toaster once RGB modded :psyduck: )

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

While doing Christmas shopping, I decided to stop into the local used game shop for the first time in a while. At first I was a little disappointed since it seemed like they were running low on systems and accessories, most of the shelves and carts loaded with their less than stellar selection of games rather than hardware. But then I noticed a few oddities around the store which ordinarily is primarily games..

Old televisions. Including a rather sizable Sony Triniton. It seems like some shops that deal in vintage games may have figured out a thing or two about other things their clientele may be after. :aaa:

I may see if they still have it after I finish up my holiday shopping, if I have enough left to indulge myself a bit.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

The music in Jewel Master is almost as badass as the box art.

My SS stuff shipped this morning Priority and only has about 250 miles to get to its destination. Come Tuesday or Wed some goon should be receiving a package bulging from its contents. (Seriously I was wondering if the USPS would gripe at me for making the box bulge like it did hah)

-- OSI Bean Dip: I shipped out your 64 and goodies today as well, sending you tracking # via pm right now

Tyson Tomko fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Dec 11, 2012

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Random Stranger posted:

The pirate cart came apart in shipping just like 80% of them do

drat, what happened to that cart? Did it just come open and bits fall out or is that part of the board actually broken off?

Asbrandt
Feb 16, 2011

I've long since lost the source for this, but I remember reading that if you completely disconnect the RF circuit from the PPU instead of preserving it, the Composite comes out much cleaner.

EDIT: I honestly hope the NES Super 8 motherboard is completed and has a composite-only version that can be bought without the gaudy case it was made for.
The AV on it seems to be very clean and a hand-made wood body case would give it a nice retro feel, in my opinion.

Asbrandt fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Dec 11, 2012

Hogscraper
Nov 6, 2004

Audio master

Fluffdaddy posted:

You might wanna cross reference the going price on Odyssey 2 stuff on Ebay before throwing it up for 100 bucks...
Aww, man. You're totally right. I haven't checked on it for awhile. It looks like the bottom dropped out. These were going for $10 to $20 dollars a piece a few years back. I figured $100.00 was a deal for these. They're seriously crescent fresh. I'll entertain whatever low ball offers you guys want to throw at me if you're interested.

Antillese posted:

My aunt gave us an Odyssey 2 circa '86. It sucked, and 6-year-old me knew it sucked too.
Agreed. I would imagine this is exactly why the price has tanked.

Hogscraper fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Dec 11, 2012

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

No? Its not gone but the consensus was that it was an overall improvement.

(don't take hamburglars advice on vertical lines or where / if to wire the csync or composite video lines on console mods, thanks)

H1KE
May 7, 2007

Somehow, I don't think they'd approve the franchise...

Just took a trip to my mate who runs the ex-GAME store. We discussed recent sells on Ebay, and how SNES is through the roof etc. Told him I was mainly concentrating on NES but also loved my Atari stuff. He brings out two 40L storage boxes. Around 3/4's is boxed and in excellent to mint condition. Mint / almost mint boxed copies of Riddle Of The Sphinx, Crossbow, Berserk, Spider Fighter, Hero, Bridge, Webspinner to name a few. Some serious :retrogames: which is why he refused to sell them in one lot, since we both know I'd never have that kind of cash handy.

So we have a deal now. I get him a sit down cocktail, with working coin mechs and at least Galaga on it, he will trade me both boxes and dig around to throw me some NES stuff on top. Yep. :stare: There is a LOT of money's worth there, so I'm going to give him some extra stuff I can't move on top to help sweeten the deal.

He also recommends putting my Aidyn Chronicles up, since last week he sold a cart only for $120 and a boxed mint for $160. :stonk:

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Hey I'm somewhat finished with this project:

Dreamcast arcade stick modded to universal arcade stick.

Stick uses a Toodles Cthulhu Multi-Console PCB, wired to an ethernet jack. I'm in the process of creating a ton of console to ethernet cords to plug into it. I also have a DB15 port wired up for supergun/neo-geo.

I originally wanted to keep the original DC board in there and wire it up along with the Cthulhu, but with having to dual wire everything to the DB15 port already and the tightness of the case meant I eventually had to ditch the idea. The Cthulhu supports Dreamcast, just not the VMU.

I need to get better tools and stop doing work like that while drinking.

Eventually I'm replacing the top frame with some custom art work. I plan on modeling it after an Astro City control panel.

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

HKR posted:

Hey I'm somewhat finished with this project:

Dreamcast arcade stick modded to universal arcade stick.

Stick uses a Toodles Cthulhu Multi-Console PCB, wired to an ethernet jack. I'm in the process of creating a ton of console to ethernet cords to plug into it. I also have a DB15 port wired up for supergun/neo-geo.

I originally wanted to keep the original DC board in there and wire it up along with the Cthulhu, but with having to dual wire everything to the DB15 port already and the tightness of the case meant I eventually had to ditch the idea. The Cthulhu supports Dreamcast, just not the VMU.

I need to get better tools and stop doing work like that while drinking.

Eventually I'm replacing the top frame with some custom art work. I plan on modeling it after an Astro City control panel.

Nice work. I'm thinking of doing that myself. Looks like I'd want to add the Imp board too since I primarily play on 360 and I'd be modding MadCatz SE PCBs.

I don't think I "get" the RJ45 thing. What's the deal with that? Is it just a universal harness termination jack that translates it back to the board that you can easily reterminate other console proprietary connectors to?

Hey, what's your plan for Astro City? I'd love to get a cabinet of that form and I don't know what to do to start. My objective is to basically "consolize" it and use it with consoles instead of arcade boards, while retaining the stick panels and a Cthulhu board to talk to the 360/PS2/3 etc. Where does one buy a specialty cabinet like that?

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Antillese posted:

Nice work. I'm thinking of doing that myself. Looks like I'd want to add the Imp board too since I primarily play on 360 and I'd be modding MadCatz SE PCBs.

I don't think I "get" the RJ45 thing. What's the deal with that? Is it just a universal harness termination jack that translates it back to the board that you can easily reterminate other console proprietary connectors to?

Hey, what's your plan for Astro City? I'd love to get a cabinet of that form and I don't know what to do to start. My objective is to basically "consolize" it and use it with consoles instead of arcade boards, while retaining the stick panels and a Cthulhu board to talk to the 360/PS2/3 etc. Where does one buy a specialty cabinet like that?

The RJ45 port is pretty much that, a universal harness jack that has 8 wires which is plenty enough to wire to the majority of consoles.

As for an astro city, I'd love to get one but I probably never will. I'm going to replace the top panel in the stick with some artwork that's just made to look like one. As for buying an astro city, live in California I guess because that's the only state I ever see any for sale in.

Zaii
Nov 6, 2005

Check it out, I downloaded a little dance!
gently caress yes. Streets of Rage 2. THE best retro game. Ever.

H1KE
May 7, 2007

Somehow, I don't think they'd approve the franchise...

Opened up the machine today to see how bad it is inside, man that smell. That smell cannot be beat. You could bottle it and sell it. Judging from what I can see of the board, my fears of a suicide battery were misplaced and can finally rest easy.

Wether this is the job of the original guy, or someone else, I don't know. Noticed the buttons are sticking / not registering, so looks like I'll do some work on this soon. Going to have to de-solder everything first though, because there are no slip ons! Only solder! :argh:

Lots of dust webs and a thin layer of dust scum, judging by the burn marks I've seen in the t-moulding, from years of tobacco smoke.

Can you smell it yet? Mmmm breathe it in. Chassis's PSU box could use a scuff, but I'm afraid to touch it, due to past experiences with electricity.

The board looks to be in great condition. The two wires he mentioned seem to be two on the connector itself, which I'll need to pull out and check at some point. Hey...what's that white thing down there...?

It's...it's... :aaa:

This just keeps getting better. :v:

Also forgot to include in the pre-sale stuff, my Donkey Kong flip out Game & Watch. I'm seeing these pop up everywhere lately. This one has a few scratches, and no box, but has the battery cover. Going to put some batteries in it soon and make sure she still works.

H1KE fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Dec 11, 2012

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

So are we supposed to give away who we are to our santees? It's probably not hard for them to figure out, but did you guys sign your letters?

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

I'm not sure what other people are doing but I did sign mine. But, since my name is on the shipping label, they could just look it up on the Elfster page and see who I was anyway

tvb
Dec 22, 2004

We don't understand Chinese, dude!
I wasn't planning on giving myself away, but if my Santee has a paranoid breakdown over who sent him the box of live turtles painted like Mario Kart shells, I'll come clean. Oops! Guess the game is up!

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Safari Disco Lion posted:

I'm not sure what other people are doing but I did sign mine. But, since my name is on the shipping label, they could just look it up on the Elfster page and see who I was anyway

Yea that was my reasoning, behind it, too.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
Ha!

Someone has an over inflated sense of value. http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/vgm/3470627259.html That or they are getting their price from that pawn show where the guys said original nintendo's are worth thousands or some poo poo.

Be nice if you could post comments on clist adds to warn off anyone that might fall for this crap.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Kilazar posted:

Ha!

Someone has an over inflated sense of value. http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/vgm/3470627259.html That or they are getting their price from that pawn show where the guys said original nintendo's are worth thousands or some poo poo.

Be nice if you could post comments on clist adds to warn off anyone that might fall for this crap.

Thats an oddly specific price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Kilazar posted:

Ha!

A fool and his money are soon parted. Anybody who's a "Nintendo collector" should know far better than that.

• Locked thread