Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Cardboard Box posted:

I wouldn't count on it.

You're such a pessimist. Gibbed is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

RandallODim posted:

He's the most friendly and affable German undercover operative.

Hey man, he's American! Born on an American military base in Germany, he is 100% pure American hero.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Cardboard Box posted:

Gator skins are generic leather, just vendor trash.

Oh wow, I knew I picked leather up from something, I thought nothing of it.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Adraeus posted:

You're such a pessimist. Gibbed is awesome.

I'm not pessimistic, I'm being realistic. A full Jurassic Park mod with dinosaurs and stuff is an unrealistic expectation.

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Cardboard Box posted:

I'm not pessimistic, I'm being realistic. A full Jurassic Park mod with dinosaurs and stuff is an unrealistic expectation.

Dare to dream. :)

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Zaphod42 posted:

For sure, but does that mean I have to carry a flamethrower for the rest of the game in case a heavy ever shows up? It'd be nice to start the mission, go "oh, heavies on this one" and grab a flamer. Or go "hm, stealth, better swap for bow and silenced pistol". Or "wow, lots and lots of guys on this one, I think I better get out the machine gun"

Instead I just take my 4 favorite guns everywhere.

You don't need a special loadout to deal with heavies, regular melee attacks work well even if you can't get a take down, and if you don't want to get in close just use frag grenades.

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

Has anyone else experienced weird jerkiness on PC?
My friend's PC runs the game really smoothly on high settings but it stutters/skips a few frames every now and then. Like the picture freezes for a split second sometimes. He has an i5 3750k, an HD 7870 and 8 gigs of RAM with the settings high but not maxed.

I got the 12.11 drivers for him and that didn't fix it.

We went into the map editor, I don't think it did it in the editing window but when we ran it it said he was getting over 90 FPS but still stuttered sometimes.

I went into the game, tried running it in DX9 mode which didn't help. I tried setting the res to 800*600 and that seemed to make it worse. I went through all the video settings and turned one thing off/changed one thing at a time and none of those fixed it.

It's not like he's getting low FPS, it runs smoothly other than the stuttering. I'm stumped.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Davoren posted:

You don't need a special loadout to deal with heavies, regular melee attacks work well even if you can't get a take down, and if you don't want to get in close just use frag grenades.

It's easier to take down heavies too, considering they're much slower. I've never had a problem taking them down since I have the "move faster while crouched" perk. Just toss a few rocks to get them to face the other way and bam.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I don't understand how Jason was so calm his first time meeting Buck. What stopped him from using his mystic jungle powers to rip Buck's head off and piss down his neck?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

I don't understand how Jason was so calm his first time meeting Buck. What stopped him from using his mystic jungle powers to rip Buck's head off and piss down his neck?

Buck throws down the line that if he dies, Jason will never find Keith. Personally, at that point, if I were in Jason's shoes (and suffering from Jason's current level of newfound capacity for ultraviolence) I would have just started whacking off Buck's fingers with a knife and saying that "I'm not going to kill you, but there may be less and less of you left the more time it takes for Keith to be back safe with me." But that's just my own skills as a writer kicking in.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Speedball posted:

Buck throws down the line that if he dies, Jason will never find Keith. Personally, at that point, if I were in Jason's shoes (and suffering from Jason's current level of newfound capacity for ultraviolence) I would have just started whacking off Buck's fingers with a knife and saying that "I'm not going to kill you, but there may be less and less of you left the more time it takes for Keith to be back safe with me." But that's just my own skills as a writer kicking in.
Jason can see through walls. He doesn't need Buck's help to find Keith.

edit: killing four leopards in a row with a bow without being killed myself in the process is turning out to be rather difficult. It's not possible to one-shot leopards with arrows no matter what you do, right?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Dec 11, 2012

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Jason can see through walls. He doesn't need Buck's help to find Keith.

edit: killing four leopards in a row with a bow without being killed myself in the process is turning out to be rather difficult. It's not possible to one-shot leopards with arrows no matter what you do, right?

If you want to make it easy just douse yourself in animal repellant. They won't bite someone wearing that stuff no matter what.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The Lone Badger posted:

If you want to make it easy just douse yourself in animal repellant. They won't bite someone wearing that stuff no matter what.

Yeah that stuff is actually quite useful. Angry predators will approach you, then turn away at the last minute.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Speedball posted:

Start with toes. That way you can escalate to fingers if he holds out, instead of having to drop down to toes once you run out of fingers.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Bold Robot posted:

What's the deal with the camera reticle turning gold sometimes and Jason making a dumb tiger noise when I take a picture?
It appears that there was once some sort of photo-taking minigame at one point, including a photo editor with the ability to attach stickers like word bubbles onto the photo.

String Table posted:

<string enum="COMM_TUTO_PhotoTitle" id="58774" value="Photo Journal" />
<string enum="COMM_TUTO_PhotoMessage" id="58775" value="Take pictures of atrocities, landmarks and points of interest to document and discover the history of the island. Look out for &lt;img src="MC_TX_Photograph"/&gt; on the map, they indicate a Photography Point of Interest." />
<string enum="TUTO03_OBJ_PhotoAlbum" id="58822" value="Open the photo journal." />
<string enum="TUTO03_TUTO_Photography" id="54780" value="Frame the target and PRESS [TakePicture] to capture the scene." />
<string enum="TUTO03_TUTO_BadPhoto" id="58279" value="Frame the corpses in the picture." />
<string enum="WIKI_TUTO_GADGETS_CAMERAVIEWPHOTO" id="111670" value="Taking Photos" />
<string enum="WIKI_TUTO_GADGETS_CAMERAVIEWPHOTO_DESC" id="111672" value="View recent photos in the map (photos section)." />
<string enum="WIKI_TUTO_GADGETS_CAMERATAKEPHOTO" id="111671" value="Photos for Missions" />
<string enum="WIKI_TUTO_GADGETS_CAMERATAKEPHOTO_DESC" id="111673" value="Use [Aim] to center target. [IronSight] and [Fire] to zoom. [TakePhoto] to take photo (when frame turns yellow). [EquipCamera] to equip/holster camera." />
<string enum="NAVIGATIONBAR_ACCESSPHOTOS" id="93275" value="Access Photos" />
<string enum="NAVIGATIONBAR_HIDEPHOTOS" id="93278" value="Hide Photos" />
<string enum="NAVIGATIONBAR_EDITPHOTOS" id="93294" value="Edit Photos" />
<string enum="NAVIGATIONBAR_CHANGEPHOTO" id="121702" value="Change Photo" />
<string enum="NAVIGATIONBAR_ADDSTICKER" id="121703" value="Add Sticker" />
<string enum="NAVIGATIONBAR_MODIFYSTICKER" id="121704" value="Modify Sticker" />
<string enum="NAVIGATIONBAR_APPLY_STICKER" id="121722" value="Apply Sticker" />

I wonder if this could be re-enabled...

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
How do you get the full tattoo? I've completed the story and unlocked all skills, but I'm still missing these two strings of dots that snake down the length of the tattoo, as well as a pair of fiery wings at the top.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Baron Bifford posted:

How do you get the full tattoo? I've completed the story and unlocked all skills, but I'm still missing these two strings of dots that snake down the length of the tattoo, as well as a pair of fiery wings at the top.
Collecting relics, Japanese letters, etc.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

im a girl btw posted:

My friend's PC runs the game really smoothly on high settings but it stutters/skips a few frames every now and then. Like the picture freezes for a split second sometimes. He has an i5 3750k, an HD 7870 and 8 gigs of RAM with the settings high but not maxed.

We went into the map editor, I don't think it did it in the editing window but when we ran it it said he was getting over 90 FPS but still stuttered sometimes.

I went into the game, tried running it in DX9 mode which didn't help. I tried setting the res to 800*600 and that seemed to make it worse. I went through all the video settings and turned one thing off/changed one thing at a time and none of those fixed it.

It's not like he's getting low FPS, it runs smoothly other than the stuttering. I'm stumped.

My PC is similar, but slightly worse than this and p much buttery smooth on Ultra. Maybe graphics card is hosed?

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice

im a girl btw posted:

If he has MSAA on, tell him to turn it off and force it in Catalyst Control Center instead. For me (and I've read other people have similar experiences) the main cause for the stuttering is the post FX setting, try lowering it and see if it does anything. My sweet spot on a HD6950 is medium, if I turn it off the stutter goes away completely but the game looks ugly, any higher and it starts to become annoying again.

At least for me the game runs much smoother in DX11.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Every time I see Vaas it's just another reminder that I'm not playing as him. :sigh:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Underwhelmed posted:

A system wherein outposts would occasionally get reclaimed ala Stalker would have been so much better.

The problem is (as much as I would enjoy a system like that), that this thread went over it before and suggested that system. A few goons responded saying that system was "universally loathed" and it would be stupid to put it in this game.

I personally think a "free roam" game mode would be great: It would just plop you on the island with everything that you unlocked in the story, but otherwise reset the whole island over. If you want to take over outposts and get support, you can, but otherwise gives you the whole world to shoot and burn at your leisure, and if you take it over? Just hit the "reset outpost" button.

That way it doesn't affect the story, and people still feel their :airquote:sense of accomplishment:airquote: while destroying mooks and outposts in either mode.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Agh, I hate to double post but I had an epiphany while reading about Sam.

I just realized who he reminded me of...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX6_Rt22TU8&t=100s

:psyduck:

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Morter posted:

Agh, I hate to double post but I had an epiphany while reading about Sam.

I just realized who he reminded me of...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX6_Rt22TU8&t=100s

:psyduck:

A word to the wise, don't watch this video unless you want Sam ruined for life. What has been heard cannot be unheard.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Is the difficulty changing back to normal all the drat time a feature or a bug? It's really starting to chap my rear end.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Samurai Sanders posted:

It's a pig-like thing with a long snout. You've never seen them in zoos?

Anyway like I was saying before, for some reason they are rare as hell in this game compared to other animals which are infinitely more rare in real life than tapirs are.

They are not rare, you're just unlucky or something. From Amanaki Village, walk due south. Now you're in Tapir territory. Kill tapirs, get money, etc.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Holy crap, I have no idea why I didn't bother doing any Lost Expeditions until like 20 hours into the game, these are cool as hell. I mean, not so much Jason's bad one-liners and references he makes throughout them, but the fact that they're all unique dungeons with their own gimmicks really helps break up the monotony that can set in with the open world. Really glad they added these.

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Is the difficulty changing back to normal all the drat time a feature or a bug? It's really starting to chap my rear end.

Is this on consoles? I've been playing on PC and it's stayed on Hard.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Cardboard Box posted:

Holy crap, I have no idea why I didn't bother doing any Lost Expeditions

Huh? Lost Expeditions? What are these and where can I find them? I'm already up to the second island and I explored a lot the first one, but found no such thing.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Pochoclo posted:

Huh? Lost Expeditions? What are these and where can I find them? I'm already up to the second island and I explored a lot the first one, but found no such thing.

Deluxe Edition only DLC.

Oddly enough the Deluxe DLC sniper rifle is worse than the in-game one. Sure it is silenced and does more damage but it's hampered by not having the long range scope on it.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Finished it, hell of a game, but certainly not of a story. Goddamn was I tired of Citra's and Dennis' "POWERFUL WARRIOR TATAU" bullshit by the end, and I really think that the story would've been a lot better without the tribal mysticism on top of it.

You already got Vaas and Hoyt, two perfectly crazy and violent psychos to use for the "descent into madness/becoming the monster" theme; why muddle the message by having a tribal warrior cult be part of the whole mess? Is it the primal nature of the island that's to blame, or is it the fact that you kill a lot of people just like your nemeses did to take them down?

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Dec 11, 2012

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Party Plane Jones posted:

Deluxe Edition only DLC.

Oddly enough the Deluxe DLC sniper rifle is worse than the in-game one. Sure it is silenced and does more damage but it's hampered by not having the long range scope on it.

Lost Expeditions are missions you get for (pre?)ordering the game, deluxe or standard edition.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Playing this is making me realize an open world Turok game in the same style would be the beaver's nuts. Can you imagine all those ridiculous weapons like the razorwind and cerebral bore while attacking an outpost of confederate flag waving cyborg poachers?

It's the game you never knew you wanted.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yeah, the whole magic aspect annoyed me. I'd rather it be a bit more grey and ambiguous about Jason's descent into brutality than just saying WELP IT'S THE TATAU I GUESS

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Wow, I really don't like Oliver.

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD
There is nothing more annoying for me than painstakingly taking down an outpost single handed without being spotted and then having those jerkhole 'good guys' ride in on my coattails and start spouting 'this is ALL ME'.

Yeah, where you were you when stuff needed setting on fire and blowing up?

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
I don't like anyone. The only really nice characters I found so far are a constantly tripping doctor and a deep cover german accent spy posing as a privateer.

Everyone else is an rear end in a top hat.

Also, Far Cry 3: Getting Knocked Out Simulator.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Pochoclo posted:

Also, Far Cry 3: Getting Knocked Out Simulator.
Jason Brody has worse spatial awareness (Is that the right term there?) than Wei Shen from Sleeping Dogs. Brody even bloody has wall-hax drugs and others still get the drop on him.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
My only character gripe involves (mid-game spoilers) Vaas. I payed attention to his mo-cap stuff because it was really good, and whenever he mad mention to killing someone, he makes a "pop them in the head" gesture with his hand. But of course, when he asks you, for the third time, the definition of insanity, what does he do?

Shoot you in the chest.
:bang:

Maybe it's a stupid gripe, but that bugged me a lot.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Croccers posted:

Jason Brody has worse spatial awareness (Is that the right term there?) than Wei Shen from Sleeping Dogs. Brody even bloody has wall-hax drugs and others still get the drop on him.

It's okay that it happened once. Maybe it was a lapse in judgement, and Jason was still not up to his full potential back then.

But really, then it happens like three more loving times. You'd think Jason "WARRIOR" "Snow White" Brody, nightmare of camps, shadow in the night, who can sneak-kill 20 people without breaking a sweat, and can also take on three guys with heavy machineguns and armor with a loving knife, would be a little harder to ambush than that.

Well, unless he's really loving insane (or super high on drugs) and all the game is some sort of hallucination. Then getting knocked out is some kind of metaphor for, uh...
Oh, I give up.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Why are people talking about realism in this game when from the very beginning you have a magical camera that lets you see animals and people through walls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordBerenger
Aug 26, 2012

The be all and end all

BORK! BORK! posted:

There is nothing more annoying for me than painstakingly taking down an outpost single handed without being spotted and then having those jerkhole 'good guys' ride in on my coattails and start spouting 'this is ALL ME'.

Yeah i completely agree with that. That's why i just whip out my AK and gives them some new holes to breathe through.

• Locked thread