Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
Edited a lot because of confusion:

Rather Watch Them posted:

Usami is completely pink in her opening video, but in this screen she's half-white.

Take this as you will. I don't know.
But yeah this is what I meant.

IceBorg fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Dec 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.
For what it's worth, I was suspecting the computer effects are related to however the memoryfuck is being implemented this time around - like, maybe their memories were digitized, edited, and then reuploaded into their brains. "Computer simulation" is as reasonable an idea as any, though.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Suspicious Dish posted:

You're right. Just transcribed a small part of it.

If it's not spoilerish, would someone mind translating that? I'll try doing a full thing tonight.

Well I threw it through Google translate, and it didn't seem to be spoilery at all, It came out as

I'm removing this just in case it actually means something later.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Dec 12, 2012

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

It might not be a safe idea to try and translate the rest of that code. DR1's opening had some pretty big freeze-frame spoilers (Leon's, Celes's, and Naegi's executions), and this text is both freeze-frame and in a whole other language.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

IceBorg posted:

People in the DR1 thread were talking about a Dangan Ronpa avatar for Fedule since he will be taking part in this and...well:

I think the monorabbit thing here would be a perfect fit.

I like this idea. LPs brought to you by Monobear and Monohare!

Aerial Tollhouse
Feb 17, 2011
Tiny detail I noticed. In the picture of the dead Junko, she has a black rabbit hair accessory. Mukuro as Junko had a white rabbit,as did Junko in the pictures of the past, and Junko after she revealed herself had monobear accessories. I have no idea what any of this means. Anyway, hope this LP is as good as the first.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Dr. Fetus posted:

Well I threw it through Google translate, and it didn't seem to be spoilery at all, It came out as

Looks like they're just throwing the first part of the game script in there, to make it look like it's "loading the game".

CandyCrazy posted:

It might not be a safe idea to try and translate the rest of that code. DR1's opening had some pretty big freeze-frame spoilers (Leon's, Celes's, and Naegi's executions), and this text is both freeze-frame and in a whole other language.

They also threw a wrench in the plans with , by "corrupting" the byte images. It's not a YouTube processing thing (though that doesn't help) because the corrupted bytes are the same when they scroll.

Yggdrasil325
Jul 24, 2011

Haha, they tossed the DR1 cast into a blender, added in more ANIME, and poured it out as DR2's characters. It's amazing.

NyaoMyao
Mar 29, 2010

Super High School Level BFFs
I went to check out the tumblr tags to see what people were saying about the translation itself. Don't do this. There was a body pillow top of the page.

Other than that I'm looking forward to the LP and yall's translation notes.

Dementrious
Oct 16, 2012

Curiously enough, the only thing that went through the mind of the bowl of petunias as it fell was Oh no, not again.
The art is so crisp compared to last time. It looks like they spent a lot of time crafting this sequel. I only hope the story is even more amazing. I'm having a hard time picking people to root for. I guess I need to see more of what they're known for.

I wonder how many plot points will be rehashed. For example: Will there be a character unseen for most of the game again? The first game covered quite a few methods of killing, but I just can't wait to see it. I think I'm most looking forward to the executions.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!
Oh hell yes. I only got into the first thread when the LP was over, so I'm really excited that I'll actually be able to experience this one as it happens, which is clearly a better use of my time than studying for finals next week. :downs:

I'm guessing the deliberate similarities with DR1 mean that the game is going to mindfuck us in a whole other way later.

SevenDice
Oct 20, 2012
Well, it appears the DR2 thread has officially gone gold, and only after about half a day and a single update. Congratulations are in order.

Edit: I apologize, I honestly was debating on whether this was worth mentioning or not. I acted on the thin chance that it might be an interesting sub-topic but I can see how it can be low effort. I'll keep this in mind for future posts.

SevenDice fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Dec 12, 2012

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

This is going to be ~amazing~ :dance:

I love the new character designs. Super buff guy has my vote.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I played through some of this with a friend and while I don't know a whole lot about it all I can say is that every update will be :tviv:.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013

SevenDice posted:

Well, it appears the DR2 thread has officially gone gold, and only after about half a day and a single update. Congratulations are in order.

Wow, that's a ridiculous amount of hype. I don't suppose anything similar has happened before?

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
On topic of the character designs, I think the designs are pretty funny too, but past the initial "Hah that's great" the whole thing has kind of got me worried about how the characterization will be handled. Yes, I know, we haven't even gotten characters to introduce themselves and all that. But what I mean is that, this kind of thing has happened to a lot of other series and I'm afraid it's gonna happen here too. For example, Valkyria Chronicles had some pretty good, believable characters that had to deal with this insane setting they had build up. And then the sequel came and all characters felt like this cartoonish mess of personality traits that barely felt like human beings. Then there's stuff like 999 and its sequel, which had the same problem(but to a much lesser degree unless stuff gets more insane by the end of the game - didn't finish it yet). There's the Devil Summoner series too, which is more debatable I guess. And FF-X to X-2.

I'm probably just being paranoid here and worrying about nothing, but the character designs sort of set off a warning flag in me because so far every time the character designs feel wackier in the sequel the characterization is also a bit worse.

Then again Valkyria Chronicles 2 also had a soldier inexplicably themed after Elvis which completely invalidates my point about bad characters.

Louispul5
Oct 10, 2012
This has got to be VR. Between the opening sequence, and the fact that half the cast looks so unrealistic, something's not real. We have Gym Coach Heihachi, Vampire/robot/ninja, punk rock girl, sideways cartoon mouth chibi, Pillsbury dough cook, and Feederism Togami. This just screams "online avatars" to me.

I'm guessing this is the tutorial level for both the player and the characters. Monobear got tired of slowly explaining things over the whole game, so he made a tutorial level with fake character models. Hence the intro sequence. Or perhaps even better, we go through half the drat game this way, then everything we've learned so far is thrown away when they all come out of VR.

Here's hoping for a fake out, and there's an entire second introduction later when we find out what everyone really looks like. Because unless the writing is absolutely stellar, there's no way I'm taking the Chef seriously as a threat, or caring for him as a victim, he's too cartoony. All the other out there characters are fine by me if they're real, but not him.

Unless Monobear rips his way out of the Chef's chest, revealing him as a bad human suit. I could also go for that previous theory.

EDIT: I forgot, Francine York Morgan. YAY!

Louispul5 fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Dec 12, 2012

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

I'm going to guess she's carrying a guitar and you were all just over-thinking.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
And lo, it begins again. I'm looking forward to the new set of despair-inducing antics!

Also, calling it right now, Zeus McEyebrows is a SHSL Frankenstein's Monster, what with the chains, lightning, and ridiculously huge body.

King Christmas
Oct 17, 2012

I fell out of a plane crash because you need to stop.
Seems like the artist (can't recall his name at the moment) went out of his way to outdo himself in terms of a colorful cast. Looks like this'll be a whole lotta fun. :unsmigghh:

And is it just me or does the redhead look like Super High School Level Scout Finch?

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

Once we are introduced to the all the characters I am going to guess survivors. I am guessing there are going to be six like last game (No idea if I am right or not could be less could be more)

I already have bets to place down, based largely on how wacky their appearances are and how they might spin the formula from the first game.

That Naegi lookalike is either going to heroically sacrifice himself at the end to get the protagonist some vital clue, or he'll get killed in round 1 to make a point. The chef is an early killer, he's got the makings of a good crazy-murder-face. Thor probably won't live to see the finale, but I bet he makes it to the second half, at least. (Which is too bad, because he's definitely my favorite.) The short girl with the rabbit hairthings has too many obvious parallels to Junko to be involved, so she either gets killed somewhere in the middle or makes it all the way to the end. Bandage girl is a killer; it'd be too ironic for her not to be. The dude with the scarf looks like he's supposed to be a ninja of some stripe; executed for breaking the rules.

No suicides, but one fatal accident that someone tries to take credit for. One case of two people trying to murder the same victim independent of each other. One case where someone plans to break the rules but is killed by another student before they get they get the chance, with a 'why let a life go to waste' rationale.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Appearances aside, the new cast doesn't seem too much like the old one.

Blandy McBlanderson- standard protagonist, might be insane.
Fat Togami- He is the one that sticks out, because weight aside he acts pretty much exactly like Togami.
Punk Oni- seems slightly ditzy, but in the contrived way which is common among japanese girls. At least she doesn't refer to herself in the third person.
Chef- dim, but cheerful.
Bandages- seems sort of weak-willed.
Sailor Moon- cutesy, likely to either be a psychopath or just horribly annoying.
LIGHTNING GOD- surprisingly intelligent but foul-mouthed and quick to anger. Perhaps a natural leader?
Glasses- totally a samurai, confident.
Bedhead Albino Naegi- probably the deep thinker here.
Tits McGee- delinquent, probably not an airhead.
Blondie- seems to be refined. Rich?

I don't really have enough to go on for Jumpsuit, Francis York Morgan, Ninja, Redhead and Backpack yet.

Lord Gorchnik
Jul 20, 2012
Man I wanted to post back when I only saw 5 pages and less than an hour and we are up to 11.

Oren I truly thanks you for taking this opportunity to bless us with more despair. And to you as well Fedule for allowing us to understand words better. God speed to you both.

Also, silent-ninja man in the back is the best new design and we haven't even heard him speak yet.

SevenDice
Oct 20, 2012

Redmark posted:

Wow, that's a ridiculous amount of hype. I don't suppose anything similar has happened before?

From what I've seen so far, yes. It seems if an LPer who has had a successful LP in the past starts an new thread, it is sometimes likely to go gold quickly. The one example that I'm confident in is the [MODE] thread which also went gold after a single update.
That said, there's no denying the DR sequel has a considerable amount of hype going for it and Oren has already proven his skills in translating. Even I can't help but have high expectations for this LP.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Heatwizard posted:

I already have bets to place down, based largely on how wacky their appearances are and how they might spin the formula from the first game.

That Naegi lookalike is either going to heroically sacrifice himself at the end to get the protagonist some vital clue, or he'll get killed in round 1 to make a point. The chef is an early killer, he's got the makings of a good crazy-murder-face. Thor probably won't live to see the finale, but I bet he makes it to the second half, at least. (Which is too bad, because he's definitely my favorite.) The short girl with the rabbit hairthings has too many obvious parallels to Junko to be involved, so she either gets killed somewhere in the middle or makes it all the way to the end. Bandage girl is a killer; it'd be too ironic for her not to be. The dude with the scarf looks like he's supposed to be a ninja of some stripe; executed for breaking the rules.

No suicides, but one fatal accident that someone tries to take credit for. One case of two people trying to murder the same victim independent of each other. One case where someone plans to break the rules but is killed by another student before they get they get the chance, with a 'why let a life go to waste' rationale.
I feel like We need to be introduced to them all before we can make judgments.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

As much as I like baseless speculation, don't want to put any money down before we even get some names and abilities to work with.

That said, put me down for the guy with lightning eyes being great. All the hopes dashed with Ishimaru last game are riding on him.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
-snip-

Contra Calculus fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Dec 12, 2012

MUTEkI
Oct 12, 2012

One of the things that is surprising me is that most of the ways in which the characters combined here are vaguely along the lines of their counterparts' associations in this game. Sure, Leon and Maizono may not have had a rapport, but I do recall them having talked together about the whole idol thing? It was a while back so maybe I'm misremembering.

Like the Asahina clone's hair is giving me very strong Hagakure vibes, the other 'airhead' who survived to the end. On the other hand, Togoonmi's counterparts weren't as close -- and speaking of supergoon, one of his closer associates in Celes doesn't have any such clear counterpart. And Chef-dude appears to somehow be crossbred from Mondo and Santa.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010

Sherringford posted:

On topic of the character designs, I think the designs are pretty funny too, but past the initial "Hah that's great" the whole thing has kind of got me worried about how the characterization will be handled. Yes, I know, we haven't even gotten characters to introduce themselves and all that. But what I mean is that, this kind of thing has happened to a lot of other series and I'm afraid it's gonna happen here too. For example, Valkyria Chronicles had some pretty good, believable characters that had to deal with this insane setting they had build up. And then the sequel came and all characters felt like this cartoonish mess of personality traits that barely felt like human beings. Then there's stuff like 999 and its sequel, which had the same problem(but to a much lesser degree unless stuff gets more insane by the end of the game - didn't finish it yet). There's the Devil Summoner series too, which is more debatable I guess. And FF-X to X-2.

I'm probably just being paranoid here and worrying about nothing, but the character designs sort of set off a warning flag in me because so far every time the character designs feel wackier in the sequel the characterization is also a bit worse.

Then again Valkyria Chronicles 2 also had a soldier inexplicably themed after Elvis which completely invalidates my point about bad characters.

Add Devil Survivor 1->Devil Survivor 2 to this list. And I agree with this sentiment. I'm not a fan of some of these designs when compared to the original game. They aren't bad, just a little too out there.

Eagerly awaiting more updates.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

SevenDice posted:

Well, I would like to point all your attention to something: It's not a very high-rated gold thread. You're right that oren and Fedule are due congratulations, but...

This thread is full of a lot of ... kinda crummy posts.

There's a couple rulebreaking low-content things that I've hit for, but this is pretty much 11 pages of repeated posts like "Here's what I think about the art of this one character, and who it could possibly be a retread of in the first game" ad nauseum. I understand there's obviously not much to talk about based on one update, but it's mostly 11 pages of just that.

I'm saying maybe I have to enforce this more strictly:

Lowtax posted:

Before you post: Before posting, please ask yourself the following question: "Am I making a post which is either funny, informative, or interesting on any level?"

I'm asking that you refrain from anything but SHSL-level posts, and at least check the last couple of pages to make sure you're not repeating what someone else has said. We don't want the thread to get the reputation that it's only worth it to read the OP's posts this early on.

edit: I will admit to doing this myself, but after reviewing the past 11 pages, I think we need to exercise some restraint is all.

slowbeef fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Dec 12, 2012

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
A couple people have noticed that Chef is about the same size and has the same type of eyes as Monobear and are speculating that Chef is Monobear with a human disguise. I'm going to go the other way...the final Monobear from DR1 was actually Chef in disguise, and he will turn out to be the new mastermind.

This won't violate the rule about no one other than the 16 students entering the school because he only entered for the last trial.

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

I'm actually wondering if Chef will be the first victim simply because he's so ridiculously short, I honestly don't think his head would actually go above his stand at the trial.

Kimono-girl isn't that tall either, but I'll give her the benefit of the doubt and assume she's simply around Chihiro's height.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

slowbeef posted:

I'm asking that you refrain from anything but SHSL-level posts, and at least check the last couple of pages to make sure you're not repeating what someone else has said. We don't want the thread to get the reputation that it's only worth it to read the OP's posts this early on.

edit: I will admit to doing this myself, but after reviewing the past 11 pages, I think we need to exercise some restraint is all.

I've actually seen a few people already commenting on how they're probably only really going to be reading the OP's posts and skipping the rest of the thread. Hell, I was off-and-on with reading the last thread myself and 11 loving pages in less than a day is kind of sickening.

Still, I'm extremely excited for more of this game.

Edit: At this point, I have no real idea what to do to fix it though. I mean, one update in is there really enough to keep seriously talking about? And yet, is it not a little early to lock the thread too?

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.
Is it possible to get higher resolution pictures of the characters? I'd kind of like to get a closer look at some of the details on their designs.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Thanqol posted:

Is it possible to get higher resolution pictures of the characters? I'd kind of like to get a closer look at some of the details on their designs.

We probably will get some quality portraits once we get to the formal introductions. We still don't even know any of their names!

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Thanqol posted:

There will be official pin-ups. All in good time, of course.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I really like the idea of our protgonist being an impostor student. If he worshipped Hope's Peak all along and now all he remembers is showing up at this classroom, all the mindfuck stuff could be his confused brain trying to make the memory mismatch make sense. In this game's version of the timeskip, maybe he tried to sneak into the school or something, but now he doesn't remember it anymore so he figures he really got accepted. I would be really impressed if they pull some of this unreliable narrator stuff. (Especially after missing out on Mastermind Naegi)

I'm trying to reason my way through whether this game is a prequel. We don't see the metal plates and cameras and all in this classroom yet, so that's one argument in favor. If this was after DR1 it seems weird for Monobear to actually remove that stuff. But then again, we're supposed to have some kind of beach setting.

So my guess is, this classroom is actually just one shoddily-constructed room sitting in the middle of some island jungle somewhere. This is why the magic monobunny is giving her intro here instead of the stadium. And after explaining the rules, they walk outside into loving wilderness cause it's Lord of the Flies time.

This doesn't give me any better idea of the timeframe, but never mind. I guess we'll get more clues soon enough.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Question: Isn't Hinata supposed to be a girl's name in Japan? Because I'm totally getting flashbacks to Naruto, and it's not painting a positive picture on our "hero".

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

bman in 2288 posted:

Question: Isn't Hinata supposed to be a girl's name in Japan? Because I'm totally getting flashbacks to Naruto, and it's not painting a positive picture on our "hero".

If I recall right, it's actually more commonly a boy's name. I've seen more male Hinata in anime than female, by far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HangedManArcana
Dec 12, 2012

...T...Thank you.
Hiya! Big fan of the original translated LP and decided to make an account once I saw you were translating this one. Can't wait to see how this goes :allears:

The magical girl bunny creature thing kind of scares me more than Monobear from the last game for some reason... And was that a translation of the novel too? I am even more excited for this!

And it's also got someone tweaking the english? I had no issues with the original but it's definitely going to just get better if someone is helping you.

• Locked thread