Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Looks like those who funded the Star Trek TNG Kickstarter for Pinball Arcade are being asked to choose their platform now.

I chose Xbox 360... :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Minidust posted:

Looks like those who funded the Star Trek TNG Kickstarter for Pinball Arcade are being asked to choose their platform now.

I chose Xbox 360... :ohdear:

They still haven't given out Twilight Zone yet right?

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

FishBulb posted:

They still haven't given out Twilight Zone yet right?

They have on phones. It's coming next on consoles (interrupting the usual sequence of packs).

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
gently caress

Pinball Cafe Becomes the Parkdale Bar Ban’s First Victim

Starhawk
Mar 28, 2003

I am leaking dangerous cargo.

This makes me really sad. Every time I'm anywhere near Toronto I always found a way to stop in there. The bureaucracy and politics is quickly making Toronto a place I don't want to visit anymore.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

We have the same problem here in Chicago. It's practically impossible to open an arcade because of laws so they are all out in the far suburbs (the ones that allow them). Obviously we aren't in the golden age of arcades anymore, but an unreported aspect of their downfall is how they got legislated out of so many areas.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

Niwrad posted:

We have the same problem here in Chicago. It's practically impossible to open an arcade because of laws so they are all out in the far suburbs (the ones that allow them). Obviously we aren't in the golden age of arcades anymore, but an unreported aspect of their downfall is how they got legislated out of so many areas.

I talked to the guy who owns all the tables at the Bottom Lounge (the best place in the city proper to play pinball, trailed by Logan Hardware) and he lamented how difficult and expensive it is to get them in the bar, get them licensed, ontop of the regular maintenance demands of a pinball table.

That all said, it must have loosened a bit what with Headquarters and Emporium opening up. The thing is that neither of them are run by people who know what they're doing with their pinball tables. Emporium got their X-Men on release, and now it's a filthy, decaying, mess that they don't try to maintain. The two tables at Headquarters are in decent shape, but need tune ups and probably aren't getting them.

This is why I'm taking a second roadtrip down to St. Louis in February. Great place for pinball.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The laws loosened up a tiny bit. You used to not be able to have more than 4 machines unless you were operating out of a big commercial building (a mall for instance). Now you are allowed to have more than 4 if you have a tavern license. Emporium were the one's that headed that change I believe and they went through hell to make it happen.

Problem is that you just can't get a tavern license. They are pretty much impossible (I've been through the process) in Chicago unless you are related to a member of the board or bribe someone a lot of money. So to open a place, you have to purchase an existing business with a tavern license. The prices are astronomical now for even dive bars because that tavern license is so coveted. There is also an annual charge you have to pay the city which I believe is $200 per machine.

Emporium is nice but I don't think they pull anything from their machines. Fees for maintaining and taxes likely eat that up. It's more a draw to the bar. I think we could see more "barcades" open up. But they've made it real difficult to do anything in the city and the legal hoops you have to jump through puts an incredibly high barrier of entry.

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

So been researching on putting together a virtual pinball machine. Anyone here have any experience on putting one together? Seems pretty doable, just got to wire a bit and what not.

Alcoholism
Nov 17, 2010

Mr.Trifecta posted:

So been researching on putting together a virtual pinball machine. Anyone here have any experience on putting one together? Seems pretty doable, just got to wire a bit and what not.

Look for posts by mattfl further back in this thread, he put together a beauty and documented his whole process.

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

Alcoholism posted:

Look for posts by mattfl further back in this thread, he put together a beauty and documented his whole process.

Good call, thanks! Just went over. Some good ideas in there.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Given the history, the idea of Chicago, of all places, being a difficult place to open a pinball parlor blows my mind. We are crawling with them in the Pacific Northwest, of varying degrees of quality.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Given the history, the idea of Chicago, of all places, being a difficult place to open a pinball parlor blows my mind. We are crawling with them in the Pacific Northwest, of varying degrees of quality.

Where else in the PNW can I find good pinball? Dorky's in Tacoma, WA is the closest I know of to me; I also like to go to Ground Kontrol in Portland whenever I'm down there. I've not really heard of anything else beyond those two, though.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

SUPER HASSLER posted:

I think some of the old laws were put in place originally to curb the mob which used them to launder money. But now, it's just a clusterfuck to get anything built in the city. Too many officials getting kickbacks through the stuff.

The suburbs are growing though. Galloping Ghost is out in Brookfield and doing great. They mostly have arcade games (like 300) but have been adding pinball and are planning to get more. A solid Twilight Zone, Funhouse, and some others on the floor. Guess they are getting a Creature from the Black Lagoon and Tales from the Crypt real soon. Some older machines to play with as well and at $15 for free play, you can get in a couple hours of pinball and have it be well worth it. I really hope they can expand their pinball selection because it'd make the trip out there worth it more.

There is a place called No Limit in Algonquin but I've heard some bad stuff about machines being out of order.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

DrNutt posted:

Where else in the PNW can I find good pinball? Dorky's in Tacoma, WA is the closest I know of to me; I also like to go to Ground Kontrol in Portland whenever I'm down there. I've not really heard of anything else beyond those two, though.

Shorty's, in Seattle. Not a huge collection, but enough for a few hours or so.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

Niwrad posted:

The suburbs are growing though. Galloping Ghost is out in Brookfield and doing great.

They're fun as hell. I went out to a tournament there a couple weeks ago. There's also a bar nearby that has Medieval Madness. I've never gone there, but my understanding is that the Schaumburg Gameworks has a handful of decent Sterns, and there's regular tournament play that the Sharpes organize.

It's remarkably disappointing how hard it is to find pinball in Chicago given the history, and the fact that Stern is right in our backyard. I've met a couple people that have some pretty impressive collections in the city, but I've never been able to twist their arm to get invited over.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Mr.Trifecta posted:

Yo! :)

If you have any questions/concerns or anything hit me up at mattfl @ gmail.com and I'll try and help. With how cheap 50" plasmas have gotten, next year may be the year I do a full size table. :)

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
There are tons of new barcades opening up in Chicago.

Check out Emporium in the west loop. They have the new X-Men table and Bride of Pinbot.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Blast Fantasto posted:

There are tons of new barcades opening up in Chicago.

Check out Emporium in the west loop. They have the new X-Men table and Bride of Pinbot.

4 mentions already on this page before your post...

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

mattfl posted:

Yo! :)

If you have any questions/concerns or anything hit me up at mattfl @ gmail.com and I'll try and help. With how cheap 50" plasmas have gotten, next year may be the year I do a full size table. :)

Email incoming!

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Clouseau posted:

This is why I'm taking a second roadtrip down to St. Louis in February. Great place for pinball.

As far as I know, I'm the only one in the thread who's in STL (not that I'm terribly active). CP pinball continues to own, but the owner hinted that finances may force a shutdown if attendance stays low. Come down, spend some money; post here when you do and I'll try to make it out. :)

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Boxman posted:

As far as I know, I'm the only one in the thread who's in STL (not that I'm terribly active). CP pinball continues to own, but the owner hinted that finances may force a shutdown if attendance stays low. Come down, spend some money; post here when you do and I'll try to make it out. :)

I'll try to drop you a line when we trek out there. Though, I'm heading to NYC this weekend to go back to Reciprocal Skateboards and Satellite Lounge, both of which are pretty great and have a bunch of great tables.

That's really a shame about CP, I assumed that he was making his money through other means (repair in the workshop, etc) since I can't imagine that he gets much cash through admission. It's a really special place, I don't think there's anywhere open to the public quite like it in the midwest.

Mr. Met
Jan 14, 2008

Personally I preferred the mixed nuts caper!
Anyone have any gift ideas for a pinball enthusiast in my family? We enjoy playing pinball video games together and we both have memberships to the Pinball Museum in Baltimore. This book looks like it could be decent but I can't get much info on it: http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Pinball-Book-Collecting-History/dp/0764337858/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1355259937&sr=1-1

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Mr. Met posted:

Anyone have any gift ideas for a pinball enthusiast in my family? We enjoy playing pinball video games together and we both have memberships to the Pinball Museum in Baltimore. This book looks like it could be decent but I can't get much info on it: http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Pinball-Book-Collecting-History/dp/0764337858/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1355259937&sr=1-1

I've heard that the DVD for Tilt is pretty good - that the extras and such make it pretty well worth it. I still need to get it myself.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Anyone still playing Pinball FX2 on the 360, Zen released a "Zen Classics" DLC today that includes 4 of the tables from the PS3 version that never made it over.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Clouseau posted:

I've heard that the DVD for Tilt is pretty good - that the extras and such make it pretty well worth it. I still need to get it myself.

The extras are so extensive that the movie itself is basically just another special feature.

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
Just aced the power during the powerball multiball event. That felt badass.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

petewhitley posted:

Anyone still playing Pinball FX2 on the 360, Zen released a "Zen Classics" DLC today that includes 4 of the tables from the PS3 version that never made it over.

Im not going to get a chance to try them out for a bit, how are they? Are they a bit lacking like I think the default FX1 tables are? (I have a soft spot for Street Fighter and Rocky and Bullwinkle, but those are probably the only FX1 ones I play ever anymore).

I'll probably get them either way, just like the 3rd marvel pack where I think I've still only touched one of the tables more than once.

Billy Gnosis fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Dec 13, 2012

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Billy Gnosis posted:

Im not going to get a chance to try them out for a bit, how are they? Are they a bit lacking like I think the default FX1 tables are? (I have a soft spot for Street Fighter and Rocky and Bullwinkle, but those are probably the only FX1 ones I play ever anymore).

I'll probably get them either way, just like the 3rd marvel pack where I think I've still only touched one of the tables more than once.

They're definitely similar in feel to the FX1 tables. Tesla isn't terrible, but the theme could have been so much more. As it stands it's simply kinda boring, without very compelling goals, even in comparison to some of the other FX1 tables (Excalibur is still one of my favorites). El Dorado is pretty fun and uses the theme pretty well (basically an Indiana Jones rip-off, license that is, not the real-life tables). But it suffers from the Zen Pinball "each game lasts an hour or more" syndrome, as it's really easy to score extra balls and ball saves. V12 is one of those high-concept, low-scoring tables. Kinda reminds me of Beatbox, though it's more complicated and prettier than that. The lower play-field is really distracting during regular play IMO, something about the "glass" covering it looks funny and low-rez. I suck at those type of tables though, and actually in some ways in kinda plays like Street Fighter, so you might really like it. Shaman in my early favorite of this pack, the concept is great where you build up the drums/spinners/psychedelic effects. I didn't play much of it as it was the last one I tried, but I really like what little I saw.

Like you I'll buy whatever they put out anyways, so I don't regret the 800MS moneys. It definitely feels like a lot less bang for your buck though in comparison to virtually everything they've put out since the upgrade to FX2.

Alcoholism
Nov 17, 2010

Finally managed to get Spider Mania on Scared Stiff, and broke 100 million over a previous high score of around 70 million. I really like this table - the main "goal" of getting Scared Stiff feels to me like just the right balance of challenging but attainable, and the spider wheel adds so much to the game. Above and beyond the matter of lighting and then hitting the wheel, I feel like there's a lot of strategy to where and when you activate each reward. On my high-scoring game, I got Double Trouble last, which probably cost me a few extra million at least. Great table, fun theme.

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

When I shit I like to scream "WORSHIP THE GOD EMPEROR ON HIS GOLDEN THRONE." Mom hates it.

Finally broke 100 mil on No good gofers! Now I officially have a better highscore on that table than MM. :v:

I'm not sure why the PAPA tutorial recommended just starting multiball over and over. Cart attack during multiball gives you jackpot points after a while on every drive, and even with one ball you really rack up the points. I think I scored more than 70 million on the two cart attacks if you subtract the regular jackpots.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Has any Kickstarter backer who previously could not download Twilight Zone due to having different email addresses had that issue resolved on iOS or OS X? Per Farsight's request at pinballarcadefans.com, I sent my information to them on November 30th and again a week later and have yet to hear back.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Toady posted:

Has any Kickstarter backer who previously could not download Twilight Zone due to having different email addresses had that issue resolved on iOS or OS X? Per Farsight's request at pinballarcadefans.com, I sent my information to them on November 30th and again a week later and have yet to hear back.

I still haven't received my code in any way. I really should get on them about that.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Farsight posted:

We apologize for the lack of communication but we are working on overdrive getting the TZ people fixed up and preparing for TNG soon. We went through the messages we have received and have updated the server with their names. If you still cannot access the table, please attempt the following fix: Please try force closing the app, and restarting the app. From the table select screen, do not move the selector from the first table shown and log in, then restore purchases. It may take a few tries to unlock it. Please force close the app between tries. If you still have trouble, then message us and we can work it out. Thank you all for being so so very patient.

REMEMBER: The url https://www.pinballanalytics.com/login/register.php is for REGISTRATION of NEW ACCOUNTS ONLY. https://www.pinballanalytics.com/log...etPassword.php is for RESETTING YOUR PASSWORD. To log in, you must be in the game on your mobile device or mac. Please do NOT email support about this issue. We will handle it from here. If your two accounts are different send us:

your farsight account email address
the platform you are trying to redeem for: ios, osx, android.

Please message us here and we will take care of it.

PLEASE BE ADVISED IT MAY TAKE UP TO 24 HOURS BEFORE THE SYSTEM UPDATES YOUR ACCOUNT. PLEASE BE PATIENT. IT WILL BE RESOLVED.

Thank you for your support and understanding.

There is also a bug if you lose your Pro Mode, restore transactions will not bring it back. This is resolved in the next update.

I have no goddamn idea what they're doing.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

gypsyshred posted:

Just aced the power during the powerball multiball event. That felt badass.

Now do it during Lost in the Zone :v:

It took me ages but I finally beat Join the Cirqus on CV. The hardest part was the second level where you have to hit the Ringmaster and make the ramp shot 5 times in a row, I could never get past 3 or 4. Still haven't beaten Ringmaster Battle yet though.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Yodzilla posted:

They don't either.

Aoi-chan
Jul 28, 2003

Yodzilla posted:

At least they acknowledged there's a problem to the Kickstarter people, finally. Only took 20 days. On a related note, I finally got my Twilight Zone, so they are working through the requests. Maybe ST:TNG will work properly?

Can anyone explain what this "restore purchases" thing is they keep talking about? I don't see that as an option on Android

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

Latest Pinball Arcade is out for IOS with Star Trek Next Gen and Pro Menu for Monster Bash, looks like it just hit US App Store

Edit:

Aoi-chan posted:

Can anyone explain what this "restore purchases" thing is they keep talking about? I don't see that as an option on Android

Up until the last release on IOS, everytime you updated the app, your previously purchased tables would show up with the buy now option. You'd hit start on a table and it would think and then ask if you'd like to restore previous purchases, you'd say yes and then it would proceed to download that table or table pack again. It was an annoying pain in the rear end. They looked to have fixed this latest release, as I didn't have to restore any of my previously purchased tables.

Latest release also didn't wipe out any of my standard or wizard goals for once, so that's at least a win.

MarxCarl fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Dec 21, 2012

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Is there any way to bring the screen back to portrait view with the new update? It seems to be locked to landscape, which I don't like so much...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Why did they make the screen landscape? This thing's unplayable now.

e: Even better: the app is landscape, but the device is still in portrait mode. :wtc:

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Dec 21, 2012