Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

I have a similar shirt, but with a bulldog wearing Army BDU. Where could I find one of those bad boys?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

frozenphil posted:

I hope some of you own this shirt, it's fantastic.

LMAO

The eagle, symbol of freedom is wearing a helmet, the symbol of not freedom. Immersion ruined.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

angryhampster posted:

I have a similar shirt, but with a bulldog wearing Army BDU. Where could I find one of those bad boys?

Here.

I'm also pretty fond of this one:

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

LMAO

The eagle, symbol of freedom is wearing a helmet, the symbol of not freedom. Immersion ruined.

Better?

Bon Mot
Dec 7, 2007

by T. Finninho
I put 300 miles on Josie yesterday, half on the interstate and half on a mountain highway with a lot of curves. It was a blast, but gently caress, with no windshield riding 110 down I-25 sucked dick.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

A few pages back I was asking questions about installing new 2-1 exhausts on my Sportster. Upon arriving home from the tourbus-infested wasteland that is Yosemite during Thanksgiving, I found several boxes awaiting my arrival:

:fap:

Since I enjoy not having my right ankle suddenly burst into flame,
I also ordered a DEI wrap kit from the motorcycle superstore known as Amazon.

Note: if you're considering a similar job don't wrap the pipes further than the
oxygen sensor plugs - the exhaust flange needs to slide around a little when installing,
and I ended up having to take off about 3" of wrap.

Old demon-loud pipes and heatshields off:

Belt cover and old mounting bracket off:

At this point I was forced to stop as I had to head into work,
and also because the old circlips for the exhaust flange were shot:

Luckily there are two custom Harley shops on my way to work, so I stopped in
to get some new ones. I explained to the guy that I was new to all this, and
was there anything else I needed?

:eng101: "Yeah, you'll probably want to replace the exhaust port gaskets while you're in there"
:v: "Uhhh... there weren't any when I took it apart..."
:eng101: "Well, you need those. Here's a couple..."

Apparently whoever installed the last set of aftermarkets decided gaskets are stupid.
I didn't think about it because I've never worked on a motorcycle before. Thanks Harley Man!

Upon returning home after work, it was dark. New setup:

Real 'Murican Harley Riders drink wine.

Shiny new circlips!

Shiny new weird mesh gaskets!

Old bolts/flanges run over with the wirewheel:

At this point, it was just a simple matter of bolting on the pipes wrestling/grunting/cursing
praying for more hands/wedging/unwrapping/respraying/tightening/drinking.

Finally, they were on:

After all that the muffler was a cinch to attach. Bam!:

I'm very pleased with the final result. I still need to touch up a few areas of the wrap with the high-temp silicon spray, but I love the looks. The sound is 1000x better, and I played around a bit with the optional quiet baffle I had ordered. In the end I decided it was a little too quiet for my tastes, so for the time being it's out. I'm waiting to see if the bike wants any carb adjustments/etc, but it idles better now than it did before and all seems well. I definitely notice a bit more torque, and although I will miss setting off car alarms this is a definite improvement. Thanks again to Schlieren for your tips a page or so ago. Next project: black wheels and whitewalls!

(OK, now is the time you guys tell me that I did something horribly wrong and need to take it all apart)

xd
Sep 28, 2001

glorifying my tragic destiny..

Which reminds me, what happened to Marv Hushman? I think he has a museum full of this stuff.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
Hi I'm new here and have been making GBS threads up other threads with Harley chat because I just now noticed this one exists. Skimmed the 24 page thread and didn't see anything regarding my questions, but sorry if I missed them and am repeating.

I bought this for my wife because I'm not manly enough for a man's man bike like this, and prefer appreciating them in my rear views instead. Here's the new saddle she can bend my fat hooker rear end over on and have her way with.

2005 Softail Standard FXSTI with 20k miles, Screaming Eagle II's, HD branded small bags, crash bars, and a quick release shield that I can't tell if it's Memphis, HD or other... looks like Memphis to me because the quick release bracket is identical to the ones they use on metrics. The HD shield bag fits on it perfect though so it could be theirs?

It's our first Harley and we're still adjusting to the differences compared to metric bikes.
The immediate todo list is:
Brake Pads and SS lines. [EBC Organics FA400 (front and rear), haven't looked into the lines yet]
Upgrading rotors if not satisfied with that improvement. [No idea on this yet. EBC a good call for this too?]
Security system because with the Harley lost key and knob we're bound to leave this parked and ready to ride on more than one occasion.

Thoughts on getting a keyfob proxy system for less than the official HD one? Are they challenging to install? I've never considered security systems on my <$3k valued metrics before...

Any preferred Harley specific forums that are not totally clustered with no front brake using, confederate flag waving types?

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

Really happy to see that your Sporty doesn't have studs for the exhaust flanges; that probably made installation a billion times easier. Looks like a clean job there, nice work :)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
If you're looking for more stopping power, I'd try the fresh organic pads, then HH pads, a better master cylinder, and then finally rotors. The only downside to HH pads is they tend to be worse when there's wet weather as they dont brake as well as the organics on a cold, wet rotor. Most of the lever feel and responsiveness is in the master cylinder, all modern brake calipers are pretty decent.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

A few pages back I was asking questions about installing new 2-1 exhausts on my Sportster. Upon arriving home from the tourbus-infested wasteland that is Yosemite during Thanksgiving, I found several boxes awaiting my arrival:

After all that the muffler was a cinch to attach. Bam!:

Next project: black wheels and whitewalls!

Nice job! I've changed out exhaust on my sporty a few times and it went just as you described. Lining everything up can be a bitch. It looks great and the 2 into 1 should definitely improve performance a bit. Black wheels will look great!

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Heading up to Austin this weekend to pick up an 02 XL1200 Sporty.

It has 30k miles, runs fine, looks good and is going to cost me 2500 bucks.

Hope it all goes smooth.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Post pics of the rear cyl seep!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Heading up to Austin this weekend to pick up an 02 XL1200 Sporty.

It has 30k miles, runs fine, looks good and is going to cost me 2500 bucks.

Hope it all goes smooth.

I guess I dont know what the Harley market is like in Texas, but around here thats only a $2500 bike if theres something wrong with it.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

2500 is definitely a good price but it does have 30000 miles so it isn't completely crazy. I've seen similar bikes around here go for 3k.

post some pics if you get it!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I guess. I often forget that I am in Milwaukee, epicenter of national Harley excitement, so they hold their value a bit more here.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
It's hard to sell a 30,000 mile Sporty, they simply aren't as desirable as a big twin and there's a million out there with way less miles you could pay more for if you wanted.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

clutchpuck posted:

It's hard to sell a 30,000 mile Sporty, they simply aren't as desirable as a big twin and there's a million out there with way less miles you could pay more for if you wanted.

This is why it's cheap. Sportys are everywhere down here but are looked down on as a "girls bike." this one is at a shop we trust, they went over everything and replaced a few parts ( brake cylinders front and back, new fork seals etc.) some guy bought it and brought it back 2 days Later because his wife freaked the hell out.

Now it's on consignment for a few hundred bucks less than he paid so she won't kill him.

His loss is my gain.

Like I said I hope it works out. I have a buyers check from the bank, just waiting for Saturday to go up there.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Welp, the Austin bike isnt working out. But I found a guy right next to my house who is selling an 01 XL1200 with only 5k miles for 3 grand. Going to look at it tomorrow, cash in hand.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I guess. I often forget that I am in Milwaukee, epicenter of national Harley excitement, so they hold their value a bit more here.

Sporty prices are in the toilet even in WI, I'm guessing the economy and winter are causing enough people to want to sell and driving prices pretty low due to the lack of buyers.

When I bought mine 2 months back I found an 01 with 30k for 1800 and 4 more 5speeds for under 2500. I ended up talking the seller of the one I liked down from 3500 to 2700 and he looked like he was glad to finally have any interest. The other day a customer was practically begging me to buy his dyna.

Not sure how far prices will drop but harley has kept them inflated with smoke and mirrors and it seems like the used bubble might have burst.

After a bar and seat swap, highway pegs, a bit of cleaning and a quick spray job on the air cleaner after it fell off at speed and got rashed here's where I'm at. I've put on about 1500 miles since getting new tires Oct 20.

my turn in the barrel fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Dec 11, 2012

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized
Hey guys! I just joined the Harley club. Although I think most stereotypical Harley dudes will judge me.

I love this thing. SO much more comfortable than my SV 650. And it looks cooler and is a ton of fun to ride.

I really want a flyscreen for it though. Anyone know where I could pick one up?

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

I don't know, I find it hard to take hipster/non-hipster advice from someone with a Brony avatar!

Paytizzle posted:

Hey guys! I just joined the Harley club. Although I think most stereotypical Harley dudes will judge me.

I love this thing. SO much more comfortable than my SV 650. And it looks cooler and is a ton of fun to ride.

I really want a flyscreen for it though. Anyone know where I could pick one up?

You have outstanding taste in motorcycles.... But I may be just a tad prejudiced....

I have a National Windscreen "Gladiator" on mine. It is adjustable and I have it set so it is *just* tall enough to direct the wind over my helmet if I tuck in a bit. Makes highway riding a little nicer.

Here is a more front view

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

I hate you guys, I want an XR1200 so badly :(

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Trying to work on my Buell always makes me want an XR1200 real bad too.

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized

DILLIGAF posted:

You have outstanding taste in motorcycles.... But I may be just a tad prejudiced....

I have a National Windscreen "Gladiator" on mine. It is adjustable and I have it set so it is *just* tall enough to direct the wind over my helmet if I tuck in a bit. Makes highway riding a little nicer.

Here is a more front view

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll probably pick one up. Love the bike by the way, I think the white is the best color on the XRs. Any other suggestions for gear on the bike?

I see you still have the stock seat. Have you done many long rides? I took a 2 and a half hour trip a few weeks ago and it was fine, but I think my butt would be super sore on a longer one.

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

I don't know, I find it hard to take hipster/non-hipster advice from someone with a Brony avatar!

Paytizzle posted:

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll probably pick one up. Love the bike by the way, I think the white is the best color on the XRs. Any other suggestions for gear on the bike?

I see you still have the stock seat. Have you done many long rides? I took a 2 and a half hour trip a few weeks ago and it was fine, but I think my butt would be super sore on a longer one.

Nope, no long rides. The longest I have spent in the saddle was about an hour and a half, but that was half-on, half-0ff, and shifting around as I rode the twisties up in the mountains... not that constant, butt killing highway type riding.

If you plan to change your pipes or your intake (K&N for example) you have to remap, and the dealer is either not going to be able to or will screw it up trying.

Spend the $250 and get the Patriot Top Fuel widget (check out http://www.xr1200ownersgroup.com and join up to get the discount). It is a snap to install, and the settings it comes with will cover most aftermarket intakes and pipes without changing a thing. You won't have to start messing with settings unless you do some radical changes OR want to dial in that last .01 sec.

I meant to ask.. what year? Cool info for you:

2011 there were only 1262 made (Only 507 in the US), 2012 production was 835 (294 in the US)!

So... Pretty rare :)

DILLIGAF fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Dec 10, 2012

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Paytizzle posted:

Judge you for owning one of the coolest bikes Harley makes? Surely not.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Judge you for owning one of the coolest bikes Harley makes made? Surely not.

Right?

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

Right. drat them.

No more... but that just means my bike will be worth more what with the limited production numbers and limited distribution in the US.

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized

DILLIGAF posted:

Nope, no long rides. The longest I have spent in the saddle was about an hour and a half, but that was half-on, half-0ff, and shifting around as I rode the twisties up in the mountains... not that constant, butt killing highway type riding.

If you plan to change your pipes or your intake (K&N for example) you have to remap, and the dealer is either not going to be able to or will screw it up trying.

Spend the $250 and get the Patriot Top Fuel widget (check out http://www.xr1200ownersgroup.com and join up to get the discount). It is a snap to install, and the settings it comes with will cover most aftermarket intakes and pipes without changing a thing. You won't have to start messing with settings unless you do some radical changes OR want to dial in that last .01 sec.

I meant to ask.. what year? Cool info for you:

2011 there were only 1262 made (Only 507 in the US), 2012 production was 835 (294 in the US)!

So... Pretty rare :)
Wow, I had no idea they were so rare. Its a 2011 model. I probably have the only one in north Alabama. Thanks for all the info! I signed up for the owners group last night. Lots of good information there.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Went and checked out the Sporty here in town with 5600 miels on it. We brought an extra battery and tools, it wouldnt start, we assume the carb needs to be cleaned out since it has been sitting. The owner said for only a year but the chrome on the rocker box covers and the primary is so pitted it is flaking off and looks terrible. Which would mean I either replace them ($$$) get them rechromed ($$$$$$) or get them powder coated (:effort:)

With both those issues I decided to pass since he wouldnt go below 2600 dollars.. Still looking for something.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
My uncle has an XR that he almost traded on a Concours and I'm begging him not to do it until I can buy it from him.

Krazie K
Aug 16, 2007

You can run but you cannot hide! Red & White is Worldwide!!!

This is my primary scoot: 2000 HD Softail Deuce, 88ci, Vance & Hines Shorties, Ghost-Paisley brown, with 14 inch apes, billet headlamp & forward controls, steel braided cables, with solid chromed tubing oil system.

My other scoot: 1972 FLH Pan/Shovel (O.K. "generator shovel" for the most sanctimonious), 74 ci, rigid frame, wide-glide front end, Big Growl (TM) pipes, and shiny black. Usually starts with one kick, if not, then it takes a few if you miss the first time.

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

Was packing some boxes and found some pics I had forgotten about.

This is my 90 FLHS on the day in bought it back in April 1990.

and this, though it isn't a Harley, was the bike I had in the late 80's just prior to getting the FL (I guess I thought I was a badass back then, it was like 1989 and I was in the 82nd Airborne )

Kawasaki 454 LTD

Back then I didn't even own a car from the mid 80's to the mid 90s, just the bikes.

DILLIGAF fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Dec 13, 2012

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Its destiny. That pipe means you're a goon at heart

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

DILLIGAF posted:

Was packing some boxes and found some pics I had forgotten about.

This is my 980 FLHS on the day in bought it back in April 1990.

I wasn't alive in the 80s, but my dad had a FLHT back then too.

I was talking to him about it today, and apparently he rode it through a few snowstorms.

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

Deeters posted:

I wasn't alive in the 80s, but my dad had a FLHT back then too.

I was talking to him about it today, and apparently he rode it through a few snowstorms.

Out of curisoity, what part of the country? I've had my FXDL buried in snow banks so badly that I've walked to the yard and driven a front end loader back to dig it out. Are there people who don't do that kind of poo poo?

Krazie K
Aug 16, 2007

Ironhead posted:

Out of curisoity, what part of the country? I've had my FXDL buried in snow banks so badly that I've walked to the yard and driven a front end loader back to dig it out. Are there people who don't do that kind of poo poo?

I'd garage my scooter prior to letting that much snow get on her. I don't have a snow problem in Central Arizona however, but I have lived in snowy regions in the past i.e. Minnesota, Ohio, Michigan, Idaho, Germany, Kansas, etc., and housed my bike accordingly.

We DO have rainy periods and wicked dust storms in the desert though.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Ironhead posted:

Connecticut. I don't know if it was that deep of snow, but it was definitely a few inches on unplowed roads. Considering cars start spinning out with a dusting, I thought it was somewhat impressive.

Krazie K
Aug 16, 2007

Schlieren posted:

Hey there sexy thread.

I can see... that you're as sexy as I am. Well, not really.

Hey! It's a Douche! er....ah....Deuce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

I was just giving you poo poo, those are some badass old photos. When I buried it in the snow, I was a jackass that overslept when a nor easter whipped up and I had to go get my plow truck from the yard. That was when I lived just south of Boston right on the ocean. Now I'm in Houston and people say it gets too hot to ride, but I haven't noticed it yet.

• Locked thread