Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

There's also a LOT of counterfeit Pokemon games on the market. It's possible they drove up the prices a bit on legitimate copies. I'm honestly wary of buying the games even though I want them because of how many are out there that you can't detect without opening up the cart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Evila posted:

Mission: Impossible for GBC has a function to copy, save, and reuse IR signals. I don't even remember playing the actual game, we just always used it as a silly prank remote control. Totally worth it.

Well, there goes another game I need to go out and pick up.

Also, if Gameboy flashcarts ever become A Thing (come on, Krikzz!) I have no doubt these types of things will be commonplace. :allears:

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Also, if Gameboy flashcarts ever become A Thing (come on, Krikzz!) I have no doubt these types of things will be commonplace. :allears:

Can't wait for people to turn on their awesome plasma tv with surround sound setups using a old brick gameboy.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Ineffiable posted:

Can't wait for people to turn on their awesome plasma tv with surround sound setups using a old brick gameboy.

Only Game Boy Colors had the IR port :eng99:

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

DoctorWhat posted:

Only Game Boy Colors had the IR port :eng99:

Not if Krikzz goes crazy with his flashcart and adds in an IR port.

Because why? :retrogames:

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Lepecard posted:

It arrived last week but now i'm finally here to open my Secret Santa's gift!

YES! Mutant League Football has the poster!

Can't wait to play Pokemon Pinball and actually finish Mischief Makers and Kirby's Dream Land.

I believe those are Nintendo bookmarks? I haven't opened them yet.

All in all this was a great surprise!

Oh, and they even drew a nice treasure chest on the package!

Tomorrow i'll be able to mail my Santee's gift.

I just didn't realize how difficult it is to make small enough Santa hats for spiders...

I'm glad you enjoyed it all :D. And yes, those are nintendo bookmarks. They've been floating around here for ages from some random nintendo rep. Figured they needed a better home. Happy goonsgiving!

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

How many original GB games with unusual cartridge designs/features were there? I know the GBC had a bunch (Perfect Dark and Pokemon Pinball come to mind) but off the top of my head I can't recall any GB ones.

That said I do remember a kid at my school who'd lived in Japan having an (I think) original GB Tamagotchi game with an oversized cartridge that stuck way out of the cartridge slot on a GBC.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I'll always have fond memories of Mischief Makers. I bought it without knowing anything about it, because the box said the game had voice samples (I was a sucker for games with SWEET TECHNOLOGY)

Then I started it up and felt like it was a weird game. Then I kept playing... and playing... and SHAKE SHAKE

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

triplexpac posted:

I'll always have fond memories of Mischief Makers. I bought it without knowing anything about it, because the box said the game had voice samples (I was a sucker for games with SWEET TECHNOLOGY)

Then I started it up and felt like it was a weird game. Then I kept playing... and playing... and SHAKE SHAKE

And then you were on top of a cat riding a missile while catching missiles and throwing them back at a robotic coyote on jet skates?

Yeah Mischief Makers is a pretty awesome unusual game.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
Speaking of Gameboy, I was trying to dig out my PSP to keep me company on the bus, and stumbled upon this poor neglected console :{

Are any of the older games notable?

I remember buying the console when Mawaru Made In Wario came out, but I've never played anything on it except for music games, and apparantly it has some really good 16-bit ports?

I've ordered a charger and headphone adapter from Amazon. Before they get there, does anyone have recomendations for games that don't have "Mario" or "Mother" in the title? I feel like I should get the most out of the console 7 years after the fact, because I love the aesthetics of the little thing so much.

Unfortunately, my retro-gaming miracle was immediately offset by a tragedy, as I found this in the bottom of the drawer next to the GBA. No disc, no manual, no cover, just the back of the jewel case :{

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Keyboard Kid posted:

Popularity's got nothing to do with rarity here, retro game prices are on the rise (for various reasons; mostly kids who grew up with them now have money). Same reason why common N64 games go in the same price range. Pokemon in particular has always been extremely popular, and Yellow is the 'definitive' generation 1 game. Stores know that these items will sell in that price range, and people who want the games for themselves/to sell buy all the cheap copies.

Oh, I definitely get that. Supply and demand (in this case demand). It's just a hard pill to swallow knowing that these were some of the most plentiful games, and I had sold mine for something like $5 each five years ago.

Safari Disco Lion posted:

There's also a LOT of counterfeit Pokemon games on the market. It's possible they drove up the prices a bit on legitimate copies. I'm honestly wary of buying the games even though I want them because of how many are out there that you can't detect without opening up the cart.

Isn't it mostly the GBA games (and DS, I guess) that have the problem with counterfeiting? I haven't noticed any gbc/gb counterfeits, but with GBA, they're everywhere on all the most popular games. It's really the primary reason why the only thing in my gba collection is a flash cart. Because even locally, most of the stuff I see are obvious fakes, and I'm just not willing to go through the effort to wade through the trash of counterfeits.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Safari Disco Lion posted:

I haven't looked at his info yet but this is pretty cool sounding now. My soldering iron is kind of crappy (it's one of those cheap ones with a tip WAY too big to do any fine work) and I'm broke right now, but maybe after I have the cash to get the parts and a new iron I'll give this a shot. I don't really care about cross-platform either, at least yet, so I'll experiment with a SNES controller first or something.

If/when you get around to doing this, can you PM me and let me know if it is something you would be willing to do for someone else :D I'd much rather pay someone to make the mod for me than do it myself. I don't have the patience for this kind of thing.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

If I provided the shipping info via Elfster, do I need to give it to Midge as well or is that enough so I won't get :redhammer:'d?

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Kilazar posted:

I'm sick. And when I am sick, I want nothing more than to curl up in my blanket on the couch and play some SNES. However my current living room layout sucks for this, and my retro tv is in the office with my collection. And I am not moving it :(

So I was just looking around for some wireless controller options, and stumbled upon this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlnmfaILCHw

Now my question, are any of you talented chaps able to do this, or have you done this? And if so, how much would it cost me to have you do this for me? That is, if it works as well as that video makes it look.

*edit* Also, were there ever any good third party wireless controllers for the ps2? Or would I have to consider this mod as well for it. I remember having a pelican wireless, but not being happy with it at all.

You are a jerk, this looks too interesting not to try. I tracked down the guy's original thread here: http://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=4393.0

He's got a link to schematics/parts/pdf instructions, looks like I need to find an extra n64 controller to play with. :sigh:

E: I don't remember if the video mentions it or not, but they are apparently all universal for any system with the receiver too.

TheRedEye posted:

I'm playing Link's Awakening on a proper backlit GBA SP every time I go to the bathroom or suddenly don't feel like working for a while and it's the best game. You guys should know that.
I immediately downloaded this after purchasing a 3DS, so that I would not have to carry around another system just to play it whenever the urge strikes. If they will just release LtTP on it, I will be set.

surc fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Dec 13, 2012

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Katana Gomai posted:

If I provided the shipping info via Elfster, do I need to give it to Midge as well or is that enough so I won't get :redhammer:'d?

And like I asked before, do we still need to do this if we signed our gift and evidence is posted here? I sent two things via USPS at the same time and I am hella dumb and can't tell which tracking number is which :downs:

ninja: actually according to the tracking site they're both at their destination city so I guess I can tell now! But again if it gets delivered and posted here do I still need to?

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Oh sorry I actually read that post of yours and was going to suggest you just ask your Santee to mail you the tracking number back when he gets it (because it should be on the package). Just punch it into Elfster now that you know the right number, it takes like a second to do.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

There are plenty of GB/GBC flashcarts in existence, although they all use really ancient methods of ROM flashing to make the process as simple as possible for the Gameboy. What Krikzz needs to do is implement a FPGA that fits in a GB cart and then it would have enough power to do nice things, like for instance microSD support/multiple ROMs/more than 2 save slots

ShankyMcStabber
Mar 9, 2012

I spend way too much money on computer parts.

geetee posted:

The monitor won't come out! Worse, it seems they jury rigged it. The monitor looks like it was replaced around 2004, likely with something bigger than it had previously because the back panel barely closes.

The tube is not bolted to the frame and the frame is not bolted to the wood. It won't budge even though it's just chilling there with nothing seemingly holding it in. Attempting to pull it out with substantial force just moves the entire cabinet.

If I were you, I would pop over to http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/ and ask for help over in the Monitor/Video forum. That site has a lot of people with major amounts of experience in handling arcade monitors.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

surc posted:

You are a jerk, this looks too interesting not to try. I tracked down the guy's original thread here: http://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=4393.0

He's got a link to schematics/parts/pdf instructions, looks like I need to find an extra n64 controller to play with. :sigh:

E: I don't remember if the video mentions it or not, but they are apparently all universal for any system with the receiver too.

hehe My master plan is coming together. Soon I will have a plethora of people able to do this mod, and you will mod controllers for the rest of your lives!

I was thinking that it would be best to try it with one of the cheap third party controllers for the snes or n64. But at the same time cost of hardware might be too much to make it worth having a lovely wireless controller around. So first party is probably the best way to go, unless you are able to recover the parts out of the crappy third party after the mod is done.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Kilazar posted:

hehe My master plan is coming together. Soon I will have a plethora of people able to do this mod, and you will mod controllers for the rest of your lives!

I was thinking that it would be best to try it with one of the cheap third party controllers for the snes or n64. But at the same time cost of hardware might be too much to make it worth having a lovely wireless controller around. So first party is probably the best way to go, unless you are able to recover the parts out of the crappy third party after the mod is done.

Doesn't seem too difficult, but while the guide is dumbed down to be easily understood, there's some parts that are overly vague and it assumes you know what you're doing.

That said, the parts don't seem to be too expensive to implement this. But, if I want a wireless snes controller, I'd probably take the easy way and buy one of those wireless retrobit controllers. They get terrible reviews, but a user over at the nintendoage forums mentioned that you have to modify the receiver a bit, as they're shipped from the factory in a less than functional state.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Mammal Sauce posted:

How many original GB games with unusual cartridge designs/features were there? I know the GBC had a bunch (Perfect Dark and Pokemon Pinball come to mind) but off the top of my head I can't recall any GB ones.

That said I do remember a kid at my school who'd lived in Japan having an (I think) original GB Tamagotchi game with an oversized cartridge that stuck way out of the cartridge slot on a GBC.

I have a ton of wacky, oversized carts I just found at a garage sale; I will take pics later tonight if you would like.

ACID POLICE posted:

There are plenty of GB/GBC flashcarts in existence, although they all use really ancient methods of ROM flashing to make the process as simple as possible for the Gameboy. What Krikzz needs to do is implement a FPGA that fits in a GB cart and then it would have enough power to do nice things, like for instance microSD support/multiple ROMs/more than 2 save slots

Yeah those are more for the chiptune dudes and stuff. I am sure after Krikzz is done with the NES and Famicom Everdrives he'll go to GB next (I hope).

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I want to buy the holy gently caress out of a Famicom Everdrive. Especially if it somehow let me load FDS games on my Twin Fami. I would buy that so hard.

Everdrives don't have that thing where you have to hold reset to save the save data or whatever, right?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Code Jockey posted:

I want to buy the holy gently caress out of a Famicom Everdrive. Especially if it somehow let me load FDS games on my Twin Fami. I would buy that so hard.

Krikzz actually is working on that. He's making both a 60-pin Famicom one and a 72-pin NES one, so you are set. Yes, they will load FDS games :woop:

Code Jockey posted:

Everdrives don't have that thing where you have to hold reset to save the save data or whatever, right?

That's the PowerPak, so you're good.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Lepecard posted:

It arrived last week but now i'm finally here to open my Secret Santa's gift!

YES! Mutant League Football has the poster!

Can't wait to play Pokemon Pinball and actually finish Mischief Makers and Kirby's Dream Land.

I believe those are Nintendo bookmarks? I haven't opened them yet.

All in all this was a great surprise!

Oh, and they even drew a nice treasure chest on the package!

Tomorrow i'll be able to mail my Santee's gift.

I just didn't realize how difficult it is to make small enough Santa hats for spiders...

What an amazing pile of games. Mutant League Football in the case is especially nice, all those EA Sports games on the Genesis seem harder to find in-case than regular Genesis titles. Mutant League Football is such a fantastic game.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Yeah those are more for the chiptune dudes and stuff. I am sure after Krikzz is done with the NES and Famicom Everdrives he'll go to GB next (I hope).

I'm still not sure why he's wasting his time for both. Make one, and slap a converter on it.

But then again, while I grew up with the NES, it's by far the least interesting console to me except for a few games.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Krikzz actually is working on that. He's making both a 60-pin Famicom one and a 72-pin NES one, so you are set. Yes, they will load FDS games :woop:

That's the PowerPak, so you're good.

Hnngghhhh yesssss that owns

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

fatpat268 posted:

I'm still not sure why he's wasting his time for both. Make one, and slap a converter on it.

I have been having nothing but problems with my converter that gets NES games to work on my AV Famicom. It's supposedly a common problem, even though the one I bought was pretty expensive.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

fffff that NES/Famicom Everdrive. I'm never going to see money again, am I?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

univbee posted:

fffff that NES/Famicom Everdrive. I'm never going to see money again, am I?

Think of it as an investment! Think about all the hard to find games and reproduction carts you won't have to buy!
you'll still buy them

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
It sure as poo poo is going to make playing FDS easier. Drive belt broken? Whooo cares!

Also given the risk of buying rewritten-but-still-original-label FDS games, it'll be nice being able to play games guaranteed to be what they claim to be.

[I will still buy FDS disks, of course, because they are cool and make good conversation pieces]

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

ShankyMcStabber posted:

If I were you, I would pop over to http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/ and ask for help over in the Monitor/Video forum. That site has a lot of people with major amounts of experience in handling arcade monitors.

Thanks, this looks promising!

welp
Nov 3, 2007

DEAR GOD

Uuuugh wheeennnnnn?

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
So, my Santee's gift should be in my hands by the 17th. Which is still before the cut off, but I just wanted to give people a heads up that I'm not a bum. Everything but one item is ready to go out. So if I get it on the 17th (or hopefully tomorrow or saturday) it'll be shipped out by the 17th.

If it doesn't come and it turns out I have to bust some heads myself, I think I still have enough cool stuff to keep my Santee happy.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

I've been holding off on getting either sd2snes or a Super Everdrive, but holy hell I could not resist an NES Everdrive. The Power Pak and Super Power Pak are out there but they are eating away at me. Having a second option might be the push I need into skipping bills for a month or two.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
Oh man check out what this cool guy got for $50

(it's me i am the cool guy)

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
What do you all use seating wise when retro gaming?

I am thinking about steering my wife towards http://www.mathisbrothers.com/livin...h.Z7jNwlZV.dpbs for my birthday in June.

Right now I mostly just chill in my computer chair, but it is not a good option when I'm sick and want to huddle up in my blanket.

To keep this maybe more on topic, does anyone have any officially branded seating kinda of like those bean bags in the OP?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
When I renovate my home theater room, I am going for beanbags. Big, giant, multiperson ones. I do a lot of RPG playing, or just extended gaming sessions, and I get kinda... fidgedy, I dunno, uncomfortable on couches/chairs. I want something I can just kinda sprawl onto, and I hate how couches are big and inflexible. I don't have a huge home theater area, so it'd be nice having some seating I can move around whenever I want to.

Asbrandt
Feb 16, 2011
Hey Hamburglar, I posted some stuff to add to the Genesis section on the previous page, just want to make sure you don't miss it, since it changes the status of the full-board Genesis Model 2 just a little bit.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Code Jockey posted:

When I renovate my home theater room, I am going for beanbags. Big, giant, multiperson ones. I do a lot of RPG playing, or just extended gaming sessions, and I get kinda... fidgedy, I dunno, uncomfortable on couches/chairs. I want something I can just kinda sprawl onto, and I hate how couches are big and inflexible. I don't have a huge home theater area, so it'd be nice having some seating I can move around whenever I want to.

I have considered going the beanbag route. Thought about a giant lovesack brand one. I remember back in my school, we had a lobby that had them. And they seemed pretty amazing. But I have recently looked at the price tags, and I am not sure I'm willing to put out that kind of cash for a beanbag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
The final issue of Nintendo Power still hadn't arrived in the mail for me yesterday, so I went out and bought the drat thing just to be safe.

It's a pretty great sendoff; the only content about new games is all of the Wii U launch game reviews at the end. The letters section and three giant articles are all about looking back. The poster has every Nintendo Power cover including the handful of times they did variant covers (but not the subscriber versions in the Future run or other subscriber bonus issues.) The article that goes through highlights of the magazine's run year-by-year is really great and will make you feel old.

The back cover is an ad for Tank! Tank! Tank!, which gets a 3.0 in the review inside :laugh: Kind of a fitting epilogue, really.

• Locked thread