Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xd
Sep 28, 2001

glorifying my tragic destiny..
Yeah, keep on truckin', I'm going to keep riding this season unless there's ice on the roads or it's in the teens. I got some bar mitts that look totally dope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I've used the high setting on the rocker switch for my heated grips so much that they don't turn on half the time. The local Radio Shack didn't have any ON-OFF-ON rockers in stock, so I just swapped the high & low connections. Works like a charm now! :shepface:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

High Protein posted:

Today I mainly wrapped a bunch of wires that were chafing against the engine/frame in bits of oil line, works great.

I wish somebody suggested that to a PO before they "wrapped" my handlebar wiring in blue RTV.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

clutchpuck posted:

I wish somebody suggested that to a PO before they "wrapped" my handlebar wiring in blue RTV.

In my case it was the temp/o2 sensor wires chafing against the rear head and the horn wire chafing against the flyscreen.

Got quite a bit into taking off the intake manifold too, fingers crossed I don't end up needing to drop the engine at the last moment.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

Mainly my wife getting all worried with it being December. Around here it's pretty wet so frost generally means icy roads. I also need to get new tires this month, I'm just waiting for my holiday bonus to get them.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Ashex posted:

Mainly my wife getting all worried with it being December. Around here it's pretty wet so frost generally means icy roads. I also need to get new tires this month, I'm just waiting for my holiday bonus to get them.

Definitely ride within your limits and comfort zone. I feel comfortable riding as long as the ambient temperature is above freezing and there's no obvious ice or snow in the road. I've got no qualms scraping frost off of my seat. I'm lucky in that my riding season basically extends from February to December most years.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

Safety Dance posted:

Definitely ride within your limits and comfort zone. I feel comfortable riding as long as the ambient temperature is above freezing and there's no obvious ice or snow in the road. I've got no qualms scraping frost off of my seat. I'm lucky in that my riding season basically extends from February to December most years.

I started riding back in June, on my first bike I was pretty careful and never road in the rain. I bought a Versys in November and I've been riding rain or shine almost everyday, all the warnings about the rain were a bit extreme to be honest.

I'm planning to get PR3s on the bike around Christmas, entirely possible I'll keep riding if I get those before the roads get icy.

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
Thurs: drove 300 miles back to the bikes

Friday: dragged the bikes out of the shed/garage. Meant to take the 4 of us out, but the clutch cable on my CB400 snapped. Rang round everywhere, but it seems that the clutch cable for 20 year old grey imports are not common. So instead the other CB400, the DRZ and the ER-5 all went out together. My sister had to pillion :(

Saturday: Fixed my clutch cable with a universal cable kit. Went riding with my best friend. It's scary how much we've ridden together; I know what he's going to do before he does it.

Sunday: I taught my brother-in-law that you can ride in the rain. Seriously, so much fun, 8am and nearly empty roads. Aimed for smooth and a nice line rather than just straight hooning the throttle.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Today I talked myself into buying that carbon fiber hugger (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Triumph-Daytona-675-Rear-Hugger-Carbon-Fiber-Fibre-fairings-/280933506099) I wanted but couldn't justify.

Plate caught it, hooked it, and destroyed it.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

Today I talked myself into buying that carbon fiber hugger (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Triumph-Daytona-675-Rear-Hugger-Carbon-Fiber-Fibre-fairings-/280933506099) I wanted but couldn't justify.

Plate caught it, hooked it, and destroyed it.

Oof. That sucks.

Just put on a 1050 throttle tube on my street triple. Should have bought another grip, it was a real pain to get off the original tube. After putting it on the throttle stuck so I loosened it all the way up on the adjuster, now it turns and goes back freely, but has no play in it, the least bit of turn opens the throttle. Guess I'll have to get under the tank and at the throttle bodies after all.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

Oof. That sucks.

Just put on a 1050 throttle tube on my street triple. Should have bought another grip, it was a real pain to get off the original tube. After putting it on the throttle stuck so I loosened it all the way up on the adjuster, now it turns and goes back freely, but has no play in it, the least bit of turn opens the throttle. Guess I'll have to get under the tank and at the throttle bodies after all.

Are you sure you connected it properly?

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

n8r posted:

Are you sure you connected it properly?

Pretty sure. I'd heard that adjusting the connector was necessary and some people suggested working with the throttle bodies too, the wider 1050 throttle tube stretches the cables a lot more than the 675 tube.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Pope Mobile posted:

I've used the high setting on the rocker switch for my heated grips so much that they don't turn on half the time. The local Radio Shack didn't have any ON-OFF-ON rockers in stock, so I just swapped the high & low connections. Works like a charm now! :shepface:

christ... I had to install a GT heated seat on a K1200 RS today. Not really a problem right? Just plug it into the 12 accessory outlet and wire in a switch right? Wrong.
The dude wanted it spliced into his handwarmers switch on the controls, so I had to replace all the stock wires to be able to handle the increased amperage of running the seat plus the handwarmers.

After all that I don't have the heart to tell him that his transmission sounds like it's eating itself.

xd
Sep 28, 2001

glorifying my tragic destiny..
Why not use a relay?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

xd posted:

Why not use a relay?

still would have required me to remove the harness. (also, I didn't have any relays handy and it had to be done ASAP)
Plus I made the whole thing reversible so if he ever wants to get rid of the seat he can just pull the seat, and wiring harness that I made and plug the handwarmers back together like the seat was never there.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I changed out the drilled out 120-something jets (too rich) for some 112.5s on my 79 CB650, then started it up. After sitting for awhile, the bike only ran on cylinders 1 and 2, though it sounded like 3 and 4 were joining the party after a short test ride (and the headers got hot, which they weren't doing at first idle). Before they warmed up, the bike was smoking out of one side like a bitch (oil/gas smoke). It's probably not ignition, because the cylinders are arranged with one coil on 1/4 and the other on 2/3. Last time it had issues like this it worked itself out through riding, which is hard to do in the ice. I move to Phoenix next week, though, so that problem will be solved.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Geirskogul posted:

I move to Phoenix next week, though, so that problem will be solved.

Yes. You will move out of Phoenix and the problem will be solved. :v:

I took my bike for a ride today in really hot and humid weather. I've REALLY got to take out the inner lining of my jacket, because when I got home I was sweating like a pig. Gloves and boots were semi-soaked too. :argh: sun!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I know Phoenix sucks, but tell me how much it sucks. Free rent while I go to school in a pretty nice townhouse is the reason, though.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Odette posted:

Yes. You will move out of Phoenix and the problem will be solved. :v:

I took my bike for a ride today in really hot and humid weather. I've REALLY got to take out the inner lining of my jacket, because when I got home I was sweating like a pig. Gloves and boots were semi-soaked too. :argh: sun!

Oh, boo hoo, it's too hot, I have to remove my liner!

Motherfuck I have to be covered head to toe in wind resistant gear so nothing gets frostbite. I have to hug the engine like it's your mom to get any warmth back in my body! Ahhhhhh!

Sorry. Seasonal depression.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

Oh, boo hoo, it's too hot, I have to remove my liner!

Quoted for shared pain.

I'm a fan of the hand-over-the-exhaust-at-stoplights method when it comes to staving off frostbite.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

ReelBigLizard posted:

Quoted for shared pain.

I'm a fan of the hand-over-the-exhaust-at-stoplights method when it comes to staving off frostbite.

Can't really reach anything hot on the tuono unfortunately. I've bailed on the last two days and took the car. So much ice plus just way cold. Tuesday was so nasty I didn't dare pass the cars anyway, so I was basically just freezing my fingers off for 7 more mpg. I was hoping for the torrential rain and 10 degree weather today to make it worth riding in, but that didn't happen.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

ReelBigLizard posted:

Naked bikes are great for this. I get to lean forward and fondle my cylinder heads.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Geirskogul posted:

I know Phoenix sucks, but tell me how much it sucks. Free rent while I go to school in a pretty nice townhouse is the reason, though.

It's not terrible here. We've got a couple of good bar areas, a decent electronic music scene, riding weather year round, close to cali/vegas, etc.

That heat, good god. The other drivers, good god.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ziploc posted:

Naked bikes are great for this. I get to lean forward and fondle my cylinder heads.

With the end-baffles removed on my 919, the holes are perfectly sized for my four gloved fingers. Every day at work I see cars with heated steering wheels and shake my head.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Slavvy posted:

Every day at work I see cars with heated steering wheels and shake my head.

I've heard of heated seats but WHAT THE gently caress at steering wheels? Jesus Christ.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Every time I've put my hands in the path of the exhaust the moisture in it always makes my hands much colder when I take them out of the way. I stick my hands down by the head at stop lights, go naked bikes.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Odette posted:

I've heard of heated seats but WHAT THE gently caress at steering wheels? Jesus Christ.

Oh, of course. Very common on the luxury package versions of soccer-mom minivans and SUVs. Heated and cooled leather seats, heated steering wheel, automatic starter, automatic quad-zone temperature control, yadda yadda. Burn up an extra gallon of gas every morning so that no part of your body ever has to experience temperatures below 70 degrees.

nsaP posted:

Every time I've put my hands in the path of the exhaust the moisture in it always makes my hands much colder when I take them out of the way. I stick my hands down by the head at stop lights, go naked bikes.

Yeah, I just reach down and grab the top set of cooling fins. Nice and toasty in about 5 seconds.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Oh, of course. Very common on the luxury package versions of soccer-mom minivans and SUVs. Heated and cooled leather seats, heated steering wheel, automatic starter, automatic quad-zone temperature control, yadda yadda. Burn up an extra gallon of gas every morning so that no part of your body ever has to experience temperatures below 70 degrees.

Yeah, I just reach down and grab the top set of cooling fins. Nice and toasty in about 5 seconds.

Heated seats are nice, though.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Discussion > Automotive Insanity > Cycle Asylum > Minivan Chat

I put new copper core spark plug wires and new spark plugs on the CB650 today. Runs on all four cylinders consistently now :) . Carbon-impregnated fiber resistor wires are a pain in the rear end, especially when they're 34 years old.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
I also ride my bike to work in the cold occasionally too (well as cold as it gets in Houston) and I too enjoy putting my hands near the hot parts. I found I can position my left hand in such a way that it messes with the air pressure in the right place that warm air is drawn off the engine over my hand and my left leg. Its pretty awesome on cold, long rides.

edit - thought better of that..

GanjamonII fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Dec 14, 2012

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Geirskogul posted:

I put new copper core spark plug wires and new spark plugs on the CB650 today. Runs on all four cylinders consistently now :) . Carbon-impregnated fiber resistor wires are a pain in the rear end, especially when they're 34 years old.

Discussion > Automotive Insanity > Cycle Asylum > Stops copies me

Planning on doing this to my CB650, plus new boots and plugs tomorrow.

Also going to attempt the relay modification to give those little slut coils the full voltage without their kill-switch pimp taking his cut.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

ReelBigLizard posted:

Discussion > Automotive Insanity > Cycle Asylum > Stops copies me

Planning on doing this to my CB650, plus new boots and plugs tomorrow.

Also going to attempt the relay modification to give those little slut coils the full voltage without their kill-switch pimp taking his cut.

Coil relay mod is awesome, and dead easy to do.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Geirskogul posted:

Discussion > Automotive Insanity > Cycle Asylum > Minivan Chat

So what does CA think, Citroen C3 Picasso or Ford B-Max?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Saga posted:

So what does CA think, Citroen C3 Picasso or Ford B-Max?

Does Toyota still make the Sienna? If so, that. I had so much fun in one during high school.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

Does Toyota still make the Sienna? If so, that. I had so much fun in one during high school.

Was the candy any good?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Collateral Damage posted:

Was the candy any good?

Nah, but the ability to remove all the rear seats was. Lots of room, if you follow my meaning.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

Nah, but the ability to remove all the rear seats was. Lots of room, if you follow my meaning.

I didn't think there were any morbidly obese scout leaders, but I guess I was wrong!

e: back on topic, this little hussy (this is the "Dominatrix Edition" - note fold-over punishment bench on the passenger side, also popular with aforementioned boy scout leaders) comes with a one-liter triple capable of 150hp. Put that in your electronic cigarette and smoke it, Hamamatsu!

The only question is, do I go for the Arrow full system and matching jacket?

Also, is it cool to join the owner's group (Drivers Association of Dagenham)? They do have lots of cool events, like once a month the local chapter gets together and drives to Ikea in Romford. It's what they call "keeping it real". And you get a monthly lifestyle magazine with articles useful for the modern British motorist, like "101 tips for more effective road rage" or "The menace of cycling - what can be done (and where to hide the evidence!)".

Saga fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Dec 16, 2012

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Odette posted:

If you live in a cold enough place (-30-40 Celsius), a steering wheel can be almost too cold to touch, even with gloves, if you don't let the car warm up for 20 minutes first. It sucks.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

nsaP posted:

I have an hour commute. It was -8C/18F before wind chill last week. I have hand guards installed, and I throw the chemical hand warmer packs inside. That keeps the temps around my gloves around 4C/40F. Keeping your hands in a freezer for an hour is cold, no matter what else you do. I would swap off hands holding the cylinder head. Five minutes on, five minutes off. Always one hand on the head. For a whole hour. Wind chill is evil at 70mph.

I'm glad I found some guys I can carpool with now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Saga posted:

comes with a one-liter triple capable of 150hp.

Yeah, the problem with that engine is that it get nowhere near the official consumption. Official consumption combined is 4.9 litres/100km, in real life it seems to be 6.0 and upwards. And the highest output on the market right now is 125hp. That "International engine of the year" award probably cost them a pretty penny.