Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Super Dude posted:

So I might be buying a phone from a guy on Craigslist tonight or tomorrow. I've heard that it's good to meet at a Verizon store if possible because they can tell you right there if the phone is valid and can be activated on my account. Is this true? What specifically do I need to ask the employee at Verizon?

You can ask him if the ESN is clean, or you can look here:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/estore/certifieddevice/cd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

kensei posted:

You can ask him if the ESN is clean, or you can look here:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/estore/certifieddevice/cd
It's better to do it in the store, that way they can't report it stolen right after they sell it to you.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

It's better to do it in the store, that way they can't report it stolen right after they sell it to you.

Why would someone do this other than to just be a dick?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Two Kings posted:

Why would someone do this other than to just be a dick?

Sell it, then immediately claim insurance on it while you're taking it to the store to activate it. They get a new phone and your money, you get a blacklisted phone that won't do jack.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

My mom is going to get my stepdad a new phone because he broke it. She's claiming if she does, she's going to be forced to use a share everything plan. Is that true? She doesn't want to be put on one because my stepdad just uses his phone for talking. He'd probably be better on a prepaid plan actually.

Anyhow, anyway to avoid "share everything"?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

TheReverend posted:

My mom is going to get my stepdad a new phone because he broke it. She's claiming if she does, she's going to be forced to use a share everything plan. Is that true? She doesn't want to be put on one because my stepdad just uses his phone for talking. He'd probably be better on a prepaid plan actually.

Nobody who has a plan now has to take a share plan.

If you have an unlimited data plan on a line, and you upgrade that line, then you have to either put an individual data capped plan on that line or take a share plan. Using an upgrade on one line will not kill unlimited data on the other lines, unless you choose for it to by taking a share plan across the board.

Zomodok
Dec 9, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So the 14th rumor for the Jelly Bean update seems to be true.

Now to play the waiting game to see when my phone gives that little notification that there is an update.

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

Zomodok posted:

So the 14th rumor for the Jelly Bean update seems to be true.

Now to play the waiting game to see when my phone gives that little notification that there is an update.

I don't understand why, when a release date is set, they don't just automatically let you install whenever through the Settings box. There surely can't be enough people who would manually push it through, especially if they're connected through Wi-Fi, to put an actual strain on the network infrastructure of a Tier 1 ISP.

But whatever, I'm finally getting it, so I shouldn't complain.

XarsonX
Oct 24, 2003

Phage love

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Apparently the price of the Note 2 was dropped to $199 by a few retailers, but not Verizon. Does anyone know if Big Red offers a refund on the difference? Unlikely, I'm sure...

Where are you seeing these? Only 199 place I can find it is amazon and that
Is for new lines only and they are back ordered.

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011
If I want to purchase a new phone but use either 1) another lines upgrade to transfer to mine or 2) add a new line to the family plan, but keep it at the basic $9.99 while transfering that phone to my line, my only options are to purchase the phone through Verizon, correct?

I am leaning Note II, but saw the S3 was only $80 with a new line at Amazon. I read the fine print, though, and saw something about having to keep it on the upgraded line for 181 days.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Alright, my upgrade is next month and I'm leaning towards the Galaxy S3. I have to ask, though, if it's possible to buy the 16GB and then swap in a 32GB micro SD (or, at least, I think that's what my Thunderbolt uses). Is it even possible to open the case?

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

Gonkish posted:

Alright, my upgrade is next month and I'm leaning towards the Galaxy S3. I have to ask, though, if it's possible to buy the 16GB and then swap in a 32GB micro SD (or, at least, I think that's what my Thunderbolt uses). Is it even possible to open the case?

Yes, the back is removable and it gives you access to the battery, SIM card and SD card.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

comper posted:

Yes, the back is removable and it gives you access to the battery, SIM card and SD card.

Awesome! So I can take my SD card from my Thunderbolt and slap it into the S3? I'm hoping!

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Gonkish posted:

Awesome! So I can take my SD card from my Thunderbolt and slap it into the S3? I'm hoping!

I just did it from my X2 to my S3, so I don't see why it wouldn't work for you.

If I root my S3 tonight, will I still get the JB update tomorrow? Is it going to un-root it if I accept the update?

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

Super Dude posted:

I just did it from my X2 to my S3, so I don't see why it wouldn't work for you.

If I root my S3 tonight, will I still get the JB update tomorrow? Is it going to un-root it if I accept the update?

If you root tonight then you can install the JB leak that's been out for awhile now.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Do you think Verizon/ATT are lying when they make a claim like "95% (or whatever very high percentage) of our smartphone customers use less than 2GB of data per month"?

Not completely, but since their pricing policies have a large impact on data usage it's easy to see how "normal usage" can mean either 1) what people want to use their phone for or 2) what people are willing to use their phone for given the consequences. It's the latter that Verizon and other companies are defining in order to minimize infrastructure costs in the face of exploding popular demand for data.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Dec 14, 2012

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

TheReverend posted:

The salespeople at both BestBuy and the VZW store tried to push this on me: It's bogus and also an outright lie. If you go through an online retailer like Newegg or Amazon Mobile you won't have some sales rep pushing you into the Share Everything plan. Verizon's website may also try and force you into it.

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

FCKGW posted:

My Verizon store had tons of them as of 2 days ago.

I went to Best Buy though, they have all iPhones for $50 off. Target/Radio Shack/Sams Club are price matching too.

Thanks, I was about to have a 1st world crisis.

stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful
Honestly wasn't really expecting to see this when I manually checked for updates just now.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
downloading jelly bean right now on my S3!!

e;fb

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Yup got it here, too. I kept seeing scuttle that it would start rolling out today so I just checked it at lunch and there it was.

So far so good. Not much time to play with it yet.

stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful
Can someone with an unrooted S3 with the new OTA Jelly Bean and a GSM SIM test it out? I don't have one on hand or I would.

I'll be traveling internationally for the next month, and am really hoping I can just nab a SIM card.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

stormrider posted:

Can someone with an unrooted S3 with the new OTA Jelly Bean and a GSM SIM test it out? I don't have one on hand or I would.

I'll be traveling internationally for the next month, and am really hoping I can just nab a SIM card.

AT&T SIM popped in and works fine. EDGE/GSM right now, and APN list is blank, but it does work.

Edit: I was wrong. No data, even though it says so. I'm guessing the blank APN list is the primary cause, and maybe not having the IMEI in AT&T's database is why it can't pull one?

AlexDeGruven fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Dec 14, 2012

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Oh, put that thing away, Samurai. We all know what's going to happen. You'll swing your sword, I'll fly away, and probably say something like, "I'll be back, Samurai!" And then I'll flutter over the horizon and we probably won't see each for... about a week. And then we'll do the same thing again.
Took them long enough. Jesus. :colbert:

Google Now is fun as hell to mess with. Overall, everything seems more streamlined, so it's nice. Plus, the LED light is dimmer too!

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
Isn't there supposed to be a quick reply option for text messages on jb?

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

AlexDeGruven posted:

AT&T SIM popped in and works fine. EDGE/GSM right now, and APN list is blank, but it does work.

Edit: I was wrong. No data, even though it says so. I'm guessing the blank APN list is the primary cause, and maybe not having the IMEI in AT&T's database is why it can't pull one?

The blank APN will be more of an issue than the IMEI. From what I've understood about AT&T's network their stance is more to blacklist devices as-needed versus Verizon which has historically kept a whitelist instead.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

ProjektorBoy posted:

The blank APN will be more of an issue than the IMEI. From what I've understood about AT&T's network their stance is more to blacklist devices as-needed versus Verizon which has historically kept a whitelist instead.

There's something else somewhere in the system that prevents 3G/FauxG from working on it outside of the APNs, as well.

The APN part isn't really that tough, fortunately.

stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful
Can it make/receive calls on the ATT sim? I'm less concerned about data. And I imagine with a pre-paid sim in another country this is less of an issue?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

stormrider posted:

Can it make/receive calls on the ATT sim? I'm less concerned about data. And I imagine with a pre-paid sim in another country this is less of an issue?

Calls and texts work fine. Did so before the update, anyway, though.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

FCKGW posted:

My Verizon store had tons of them as of 2 days ago.

I went to Best Buy though, they have all iPhones for $50 off. Target/Radio Shack/Sams Club are price matching too.

Walmart has them for $127 (contract).

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/12/14/walmart-offering-iphone-5-for-127-fourth-generation-ipad-for-399/

No clue if this includes Verizon though, but I'll find out soon enough.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
So, VZW Nexus user looking for serious battery life increase. Upgrade available 2/28 but I have unlimited.

Ebay/CL a Maxx HD for ~450 or wait? If I wait, I probably will can unlimited data as I only use 2-3GB a month. Any ideas of what might be on the horizon in 2 months?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Not really so much coming out in two months. You'll have to wait until the middle of next year if you are holding out on new releases.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Cozmosis posted:

So, VZW Nexus user looking for serious battery life increase. Upgrade available 2/28 but I have unlimited.

Ebay/CL a Maxx HD for ~450 or wait? If I wait, I probably will can unlimited data as I only use 2-3GB a month. Any ideas of what might be on the horizon in 2 months?

It's a dead zone right now. Everything new has been released to Christmas already and any new announcements will come at CES.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

Cozmosis posted:

e: phone is sold.

comper fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Dec 18, 2012

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Is it worth it to pay retail for a new phone to hold onto my grandfathered data status or is it going to be yanked away in the near future?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Subterfrugal posted:

Is it worth it to pay retail for a new phone to hold onto my grandfathered data status or is it going to be yanked away in the near future?

Do you actually use more than 2 gigs a month? Look at your usage history. If yes and you absolutely must stay with Verizon, buy it retail. If you don't use more than 2 gigs, it might be time to look at your options or just suck it up and take their subsidy.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I used 6GB in the last three days.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Subterfrugal posted:

I used 6GB in the last three days.

You're the reason we don't have unlimited data anymore. Thanks a lot, jerk. :mad:

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Philip Rivers posted:

You're the reason we don't have unlimited data anymore. Thanks a lot, jerk. :mad:

No hes not. Its called having LTE data and actually using a smart phone like a smart phone. For multimedia, Etc.

Verizon takes away my data, Im gone. I use my phone to loving much. ended last bill cycle at 90 gigs. This months lighter, but im still going to be over 50.

Haters gonna hate. But if you had unlimited and lost it, Thats on you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

EbolaIvory posted:

No hes not. Its called having LTE data and actually using a smart phone like a smart phone. For multimedia, Etc.

Verizon takes away my data, Im gone. I use my phone to loving much. ended last bill cycle at 90 gigs. This months lighter, but im still going to be over 50.

Haters gonna hate. But if you had unlimited and lost it, Thats on you.

Honest question: are you always ignoring wifi when you are near it (aka at home)? I definitely can agree its easy to rack up numbers in LTE, but 9/10 people have wifi at least at home or work, and I would think that having one of those would really dampen usage. This is my first month using an LTE phone and I'm on pace for 10GB, and I would think to use more I would have to do stuff that I normally do at home (large downloads, etc).

50GBs as a light month just seems excessive, as someone trying to use as much as possible.

• Locked thread