Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

Mister Chief posted:

They removed every account that didn't use a real email address so that might have included some of you.

This is probably it. I can still access the site just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

EgillSkallagrimsson posted:

This is probably it. I can still access the site just fine.

I use a gmail account, and that wasn't in their list of ones they would wipe.
But that doesn't matter, as the page doesn't even come up.

Galg
Jun 5, 2004

How can I make this as complicated as possible?
I also used a gmail address. When the site was loading earlier today it said "login failed" when I tried to login. I tried the forgotten password option to try to reset my password but the link in the email didn't work.

I used the site pretty much daily so it shouldn't have been due to inactivity. I just assume it was because I never paid for VIP.

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

Galg posted:

I just assume it was because I never paid for VIP.

I'm VIP so I guess they must have pruned more free accounts.:iiam:

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
So, I'm seeing several files that fail in SAB, but repair fine when I manually run QuickPAR. Then when I extract them, 7zip tells me the file is corrupt.

Since the files repair fine, I'm assuming these are bungled releases and not DMCA takedowns. Is that correct? I can investigate different providers if I need to (I'm running Astra and a Blocknews account as a backup).

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

I set up spotweb on my OSX development machine. Works fine with PHP5.3 and whatever version of Apache I'm using. Has taken a few hours and I've already got 600,000 spots. So far it definitely doesn't have the same amount of english results as NZB.su, but it might be good as a backup. Once it has spots that are a few minutes old, is that as good as I'm going to get? Or will other older results start appearing as well on the next retrieve?

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Granite Octopus posted:

I set up spotweb on my OSX development machine. Works fine with PHP5.3 and whatever version of Apache I'm using. Has taken a few hours and I've already got 600,000 spots. So far it definitely doesn't have the same amount of english results as NZB.su, but it might be good as a backup. Once it has spots that are a few minutes old, is that as good as I'm going to get? Or will other older results start appearing as well on the next retrieve?

As far as I can tell it just pulls them in from oldest to newest.

The big problem I'm having is its not easy to tell at a glance whats english and whats not.

I havent grabbed full spot reports, just headers, so maybe that infos in the full report?

Begall
Jul 28, 2008
Anyone who can give me any help setting up Spotweb with Apache2? The git repo has been cloned into /var/www/spotweb, I've added this as 'spotweb' into /etc/apache2/sites-available and used sudo a2ensite spotweb followed by restarting apache.

This is basically the same thing I did for newznab (except it's on port 80), but unlike newznab I can't load the site or see any sign in the log that apache has tried to.

Any ideas

Edit: Whoops nevermind, worked out I needed to change the apache listen port

Begall fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Dec 15, 2012

Jqim
Mar 8, 2012
It feels like people have intentionally flooded usenet with viruses and other nasty things. Are there any current conspiracy theories about this?

Fedaykin
Mar 24, 2004
So I'm a nzbmatrix refugee and I have no idea where to go from here. Do I need to look around for invites or wait for registrations to open? At this point I'm using binsearch whilst looking for something better.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Jqim posted:

It feels like people have intentionally flooded usenet with viruses and other nasty things. Are there any current conspiracy theories about this?

I'm pretty sure it has always been like this.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
If you're using Binsearch, pay attention to the uploaders name and e-mail. Often you'll see posts from the exact same name of a prolific uploader but the e-mail will be different and it'll have passworded poo poo. You'll figure it out soon enough. Also, anytime you download and extract anything from Usenet scan it with something. If you don't use a virus scanner, get Housecall and select the files and scan them.

I almost exclusively use binsearch and I haven't grabbed a passworded or virused upload for years just by grabbing stuff from people I recognize.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

duck monster posted:

As far as I can tell it just pulls them in from oldest to newest.

The big problem I'm having is its not easy to tell at a glance whats english and whats not.

I havent grabbed full spot reports, just headers, so maybe that infos in the full report?

I have retrieve comments and retrieve spots checked (which is the default I guess), and if I click on the name of a spot, it takes me to a detail page that shows the audio language and the subtitle language.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

I set myself up a private install of Newznab and, I must say, it's been pretty straightforward overall. The only hinderance has been that the backfilling process would take a prohibitively long time for any decent number of groups.

I initially only activated two groups (two relatively busy x264 groups), but thought I'd see how long it'd take to backfill 1500 days. Well, just a single one of the groups had a total of 2.1billion parts to index, and was going 20,000 at a time (with each 20,000 taking about 15-20 seconds), so I quickly came to the conclusion that it wasn't going to work out. Instead I've opted to start indexing from today, building towards to an indefinite retention.

Newznab is a bit janky, with it's chmod 777 weirdness and command line php scripts to index etc, but it works well enough. I'm running it on a relatively modest VPS and, so far, it works well enough. I suspect that, if I was running a quad core dedicated server with 24gb of ram and a 1gbs connection, then perhaps the backfilling process wouldn't have been such a washout but, as it is, I'm on a 1gb Linode VPS, so i'm having to make do.

So, in conclusion, if you have the resources available, I recommend giving Newznab a go.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

moron posted:

I set myself up a private install of Newznab and, I must say, it's been pretty straightforward overall. The only hinderance has been that the backfilling process would take a prohibitively long time for any decent number of groups.

I initially only activated two groups (two relatively busy x264 groups), but thought I'd see how long it'd take to backfill 1500 days. Well, just a single one of the groups had a total of 2.1billion parts to index, and was going 20,000 at a time (with each 20,000 taking about 15-20 seconds), so I quickly came to the conclusion that it wasn't going to work out. Instead I've opted to start indexing from today, building towards to an indefinite retention.

I setup newznab in windows and it was pretty easy. I back filled 14 days and it wasn't too bad but there is a way to import nzbs from a collection which is faster than backfilling. You can get the collection by searching or pm me but you basically import these 40 gigs of nzbs and its almost like a huge backfill.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Fedaykin posted:

So I'm a nzbmatrix refugee and I have no idea where to go from here. Do I need to look around for invites or wait for registrations to open? At this point I'm using binsearch whilst looking for something better.
New sites are popping up and being linked to on IRC in #sabnzbd on SynIRC, and on the SABnzbd forums here.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Fedaykin posted:

Some goons are working on getting one up too I've heard, sounds like it'll be up shortly after the holidays.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

Ixian posted:

If it was corrupt poo poo from Astraweb it probably was DMCA related - Astraweb's automated DMCA system was among the earliest to be hit, and hit hard, by the companies representing media interests. They get so many notices that I won't be surprised if they are the next to go.

Like I said, it's random chance at the moment, not anything special Supernews is doing to avoid it. When a request is made, they have to comply, and they have to comply immediately, without warning or delay - or face being put out of business. The actual notices depend on the media and whether the studio behind it either cares enough to police it themselves or hires some other company to do it. The old trick was simply to repost/rename since notices are only good for the specific article, but these days even that isn't enough, not with the rise of third party companies willing to do that level of policing for a fee.

No in this case and the past few weeks it has been astracraps lovely propagation. 'They' cant DMCA something that has not been posted yet. They wouldnt have any article IDs to send in to be removed. A DMCA request cant be sent in faster than the articles propagate to other peers.

Define immediately? Providers get the notice and have to respond how fast? Minutes? 1 business day? 3 business days? I think that is a grey area in the DMCA law that needs major clarification. As far as I know it gives no specific time frame. Astracrap just took it upon themselves to interpret their version of the law and do it within seconds / minutes. gently caress them.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I'm a bit unclear of what rolling your own exactly offers you that the other sites currently do. Or better asked, what will I be missing? Does doing a local install of Newznab or the other php driven one mentioned allow me to index and categorize just like those sites currently do? What type of experience could I expect for someone used to searching on nzbs.org, nzbmatrix, etc?

If it works the way I think it would, (as in a complete replacement) then I would see it as the ultimate answer to the problem and never having to depend on others who may be in jeopardy of being taken down at any time.

Thanks in advance!

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I couldn't tell if you were cool with Astraweb or not but then I noticed you kept calling them Astracrap and cleared it right up for me, Thanks dude :dance:

movax
Aug 30, 2008

TraderStav posted:

I'm a bit unclear of what rolling your own exactly offers you that the other sites currently do. Or better asked, what will I be missing? Does doing a local install of Newznab or the other php driven one mentioned allow me to index and categorize just like those sites currently do? What type of experience could I expect for someone used to searching on nzbs.org, nzbmatrix, etc?

If it works the way I think it would, (as in a complete replacement) then I would see it as the ultimate answer to the problem and never having to depend on others who may be in jeopardy of being taken down at any time.

Thanks in advance!

An indexer saves you the trouble and bandwidth of finding your content, that's it.

Back when I first started Useneting, I had no idea what I was doing and downloaded gently caress tons of headers on my machine and then scraped through them myself, and got what I needed. Running your own indexer does the same except it presents you a nice web interface to get NZBs to load into your sabnzbd or similar.

Running your own anything does nothing for DMCA takedowns because that affects the providers. NZBMatrix went down simply because you cannot afford the possibility of being drawn into a legal battle with giants like media companies. Their allowing public NZB uploads probably did not help either.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
How are you even sure it's Astraweb, anyway? Last time people were saying that it was a bullshit rumour that got way out of hand on nzbmatrix and wasn't actually anything to do with Astraweb at all.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

How are you even sure it's Astraweb, anyway? Last time people were saying that it was a bullshit rumour that got way out of hand on nzbmatrix and wasn't actually anything to do with Astraweb at all.

All of the busted articles (at the time, including up to a few days ago) were posted through Astra eu server. they were showing incomplete on many indexers, binsearch and nzbindex included (lots of red..perhaps for christmas time?) as well as headers missing and incomplete on all other news servers. from what i could see they were complete on astra. somewhere going from astra to the rest of the world, something broke. if they all peer with each other i think there is little chance for catastrophic failure like this unless the server being posted through completely fucks it up. what i dont know is if switching to the astra us server would fix it. everyone seems to insist on using astra eu.

i wouldnt say the rumor was dispelled on matrix. that guy who made the thread had little reasoning and is constantly over thinking things. unless you are talking about a diff thread or section that i missed.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Some content seems to be surviving the DMCA takedowns for longer now. I wonder if it's true that some of the copyright cops were just using 'matrix/matrix apis for their barrage.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Seems to be about the same with me using Astraweb, even with all the madness in the past few weeks. Then again, I usually have SB check every 15 mins and CP once an hour.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

ClassH posted:

I setup newznab in windows and it was pretty easy. I back filled 14 days and it wasn't too bad but there is a way to import nzbs from a collection which is faster than backfilling. You can get the collection by searching or pm me but you basically import these 40 gigs of nzbs and its almost like a huge backfill.

Ah right, that probably explains why there's always people asking about NZB torrents in the Newznab chatroom, then? I'll probably just forego the backfilling process tbh. I think that it'll be more hassle than it's worth, considering it's only a personal site.

On the subject of Astraweb, i left newznab indexing overnight and was really disappointed to find that it'd barely managed to index anything compared to what's listed on nzbs.org. As an act of desperation, I registered a supernews account to try it out with and, holy poo poo, it's incredible how much more stuff i'm getting now. I've used Astraweb for years and never really had an issue, but I can certainly echo the sentiments that they're being pretty lovely at the moment.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
I left Astraweb a long time ago, always had a lot of problems with incomplete stuff. I switched to Supernews and it's been smooth sailing ever since.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
To those running their own indexers now, how much bandwidth are you using per week in compressed headers excluding backfill? There's not much recent information about it on google.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

blargle posted:

To those running their own indexers now, how much bandwidth are you using per week in compressed headers excluding backfill? There's not much recent information about it on google.

It would depend on what and how many groups you are tracking.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

moron posted:

As an act of desperation, I registered a supernews account to try it out with and, holy poo poo, it's incredible how much more stuff i'm getting now. I've used Astraweb for years and never really had an issue, but I can certainly echo the sentiments that they're being pretty lovely at the moment.

I've been using Astraweb for years as well and just took a Supernews trial out for a spin. I'm definitely able to pull stuff that wasn't available on Astraweb, but my speeds (which were around 6.5MB/sec on Astraweb) have been cut by two thirds. Not really sure how to feel about that. :(

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Paradoxish posted:

I've been using Astraweb for years as well and just took a Supernews trial out for a spin. I'm definitely able to pull stuff that wasn't available on Astraweb, but my speeds (which were around 6.5MB/sec on Astraweb) have been cut by two thirds. Not really sure how to feel about that. :(

Really? My connection is only 2.5 MB/s but I max it out on Supernews, maybe you need more connections? I think Supernews might limit each connection to 512Kb/s.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
I can hit 7.2MB/s down on Supernews.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Aatrek posted:

I can hit 7.2MB/s down on Supernews.

Yeah, for what it's worth I wasn't saying Supernews was slow or anything (they're a Giganews reseller, right?) and I'm sure this is something up with my connection or my connection to them. It's just a little disappointing to have to choose between speed or availability.

I'll give more connections a shot when I get home later. I used to max my connection out with 10 on Astraweb, so maybe I was just aiming too low.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Is Astraweb a reseller of Blockbews, or vice versa? I can never keep these guys straight.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

EC posted:

Is Astraweb a reseller of Blockbews, or vice versa? I can never keep these guys straight.
Refer to this chart.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Paradoxish posted:

I've been pulling upwards of 11.2MB/sec from Supernews. I actually had to throttle it back because it was knocking the rest of my programmes off the net.

In NZB.su news, no luck trying to email them so far. Ah well.

dunkan
Jul 10, 2006

rage is everywhere

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I've been pulling upwards of 11.2MB/sec from Supernews. I actually had to throttle it back because it was knocking the rest of my programmes off the net.

In NZB.su news, no luck trying to email them so far. Ah well.

I was having the same issue, but found that I could get the same speed with less threads, and not have the problem. So I reduced from 30 threads to 10, get the same speed but everything doesn't grind to a halt when I am downloading.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.
I'm getting a lot of incomplete downloads, and it's starting to get annoying. It was only effecting one specific stream of downloads, but now it's effecting others.

I have Astraweb, with BlockNews as a backup. I'm tempted to try Supernews as my primary. Would I have better luck?

I expect these failed downloads are DCMA related.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Rick Rickshaw posted:

I'm getting a lot of incomplete downloads, and it's starting to get annoying. It was only effecting one specific stream of downloads, but now it's effecting others.

I have Astraweb, with BlockNews as a backup. I'm tempted to try Supernews as my primary. Would I have better luck?

I expect these failed downloads are DCMA related.

I'm using super and block and I'm getting a bunch of fails on things.
Sometimes retrying a day later and it works other times not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah, I guess I was just purged.

I was going to sign up for VIP, but every time I tried to it told me it wasn't working yet or something.

:/

I was just purged too, except I did have VIP. I had it for a year, and it only ran out a couple of weeks ago. They said they weren't going to purge users who had bought VIP in the past but just didn't happen to have it right now :<

edit: I sent root@nzb.su an email. Hoping I hear back. This is pretty irritating, because I was just thinking "I think I'll renew my VIP sub at nzb.su, since indexers must be having a lovely time of it right now" and go to do exactly that and find myself deleted.

Smudgie Buggler fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Dec 17, 2012