Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Kytrarewn posted:

I just had a language pack update pushed through the app itself. Not sure about actual program updates- I rather imagine either they will be notified through app for download elsewhere, sent via email for download through the website, or just non-existent until it actually shows up on Google Play.

I've read some comments here and there to suggest that flow is going to be a free update for swiftkey 3 users- is there anything to suggest that this will actually be the case? Where have people gotten this impression?

Past experience. Swiftkey 3 beta turned into a free update from Swiftkey X, so chances are it'll be the same again this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
Well, there's that.
And then there's this tweet by the devs confirming it.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
I hope Google Music gets a more fully-featured way of creating playlists; something that automatically maintains playlists like 'thumbs-up music of a certain genre' would be brilliant.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

Badly Jester posted:

Well, there's that.
And then there's this tweet by the devs confirming it.

Oh, wow. That's good news. I'm not a big fan of the swipe method but it'll be nice to have it as an option along side an already excellent tap keyboard.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

the littlest prince posted:

Clicking on images to open them is definitely faster and it seems to load posts more quickly too, but the image loading in general seems slower to me. Scrolling also seem jumpy. None of these are a big enough difference to matter to me though.

Do you mean image loading in feed? The images should load at least a bit faster, but it can feel like you're waiting longer because we show the feed "core" earlier.

If scrolling is stuttery, are you flicking or dragging? And are you on Jellybean?

Figuring out how much to preload is definitely an ongoing area of investigation. There are a bunch of tradeoffs, including GC pressure even on badass phones, plus bandwidth and I/O scheduling.

We're really just getting started with this new app architecture. Now that we have escaped the tyranny of the webview, much more is possible.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

bull3964 posted:

Thumbnails could be cached to storage though. They are reloading every time you open the app.

Open the app, flick down the stream, you see generic thumbnails for everything and then they reload. As they reload, scroll is jerky.
[/quote]

Photos are cached to storage, mostly. (The eviction policy is probably more complex than it needs to be, long term.) Those hitches are image load from flash and decode from JPEG, which Android *really* wants you to do on the main thread.

If you drag rather than flicking, it may also be better; JB's CPU governor can be very aggressive about stepping down, to the point that it happens even during the inertial glide from a flick.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Facebook timeline load times are well better than twice as fast as they used to be for me on my GSIII, but that might just be an artifact of my internet.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

hooah posted:

I've had a couple issues with the new Facebook app as well: I tried tapping on a notification, but nothing happened; I also told the APW widget to integrate with Facebook for android, but when I tapped on a post, the app stayed on whatever screen it happened to already be on. Anyone else have these issues?

What type of notification was it?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Interociter posted:

Photos are cached to storage, mostly. (The eviction policy is probably more complex than it needs to be, long term.) Those hitches are image load from flash and decode from JPEG, which Android *really* wants you to do on the main thread.

If you drag rather than flicking, it may also be better; JB's CPU governor can be very aggressive about stepping down, to the point that it happens even during the inertial glide from a flick.

Drag is better than flick in that I don't see placeholder images. It still stutters though once you get past the first screen of posts. It really don't matter how slow you drag, once you start forcing the app to load more than what's on the screen, the scroll stutters a bit.

It's without a doubt better than it used to be where it would just arbitrarily decide "Nope, I'm not loading any more feed until you force close the app and restart it!", but it seems like some further optimization somewhere in the dynamic load while scrolling is warranted.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Interociter posted:

What type of notification was it?

It was one in the app (the little globe) saying that someone has commented on a post I was tagged in.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
Regarding Facebook, I'm also noticing some stuttering and it does still happen when dragging rather than flicking, although I could believe it's less prevalent. I'm running ICS on an SGSII, because I'm still waiting for Samsung to get their act together and push JB out. :argh:

Stuttering aside, the user experience with the new app is lightyears ahead of the old one. Although we're probably only talking about fractions of a second being removed from the delay to perform certain actions, the overall effect is that it feels much more responsive. The sense of frustration I often had with the old app has pretty much gone because I'm not sat looking at a half-loaded webview waiting to be allowed to use it. I particularly appreciate how much faster it is to get into the 'comment mode' or whatever you want to call it on a photo.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Interociter posted:

Do you mean image loading in feed? The images should load at least a bit faster, but it can feel like you're waiting longer because we show the feed "core" earlier.

If scrolling is stuttery, are you flicking or dragging? And are you on Jellybean?

Figuring out how much to preload is definitely an ongoing area of investigation. There are a bunch of tradeoffs, including GC pressure even on badass phones, plus bandwidth and I/O scheduling.

We're really just getting started with this new app architecture. Now that we have escaped the tyranny of the webview, much more is possible.

(1) Yes, in feed. (2) Flicking. (3) Yes, 4.1.1.

Regardless it runs pretty well on my S3. Thanks for your good work!

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
My boss says I have until end of day to inventory every gadget in our hospital.

I was thinking I'd print up some barcodes on label paper, and use an inventory app on my phone.

Does anyone recommend a particular barcode inventory app, or a good strategy for this?

I was planning to make barcodes for each category, I.E. PC, Monitor, Printer, etc., stick them on things, and set it so as I scan them they'll get dumped into groups like Building A, B, C. Anything along those lines that I could then export to Excel would be amazing.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:
New Google+ update is out, now that is a good app. I've been broadcasting my mood repeatedly, it feels like the good old days of MySpace.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Zero VGS posted:

My boss says I have until end of day to inventory every gadget in our hospital.

I was thinking I'd print up some barcodes on label paper, and use an inventory app on my phone.

Does anyone recommend a particular barcode inventory app, or a good strategy for this?

I was planning to make barcodes for each category, I.E. PC, Monitor, Printer, etc., stick them on things, and set it so as I scan them they'll get dumped into groups like Building A, B, C. Anything along those lines that I could then export to Excel would be amazing.

I think that Shelves (goon made) will do this.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.miadzin.shelves&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDMsImNvbS5taWFkemluLnNoZWx2ZXMiXQ..

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

spincube posted:

I hope Google Music gets a more fully-featured way of creating playlists; something that automatically maintains playlists like 'thumbs-up music of a certain genre' would be brilliant.

Haha, don't get your hopes up. For what was supposed to be google's "BIG PUSH" into the music marketplace, google music has gotten...maybe 3 or 4 updates in almost 2 years of existence?

I like it, but it has plenty of problems that still haven't been addressed. Hell my ID3 tags are still being corrupted on certain songs after awhile, and it's happened across 3 different devices now.

rndm
Aug 31, 2001

:dukedog:
Anyone else having issues with Google Voice not capturing voice mails? I'm on the N4 and I can't get Google Voice to come up as my voice mail, instead when someone calls it goes to my regular AT&T voicemail. I made to sure my phone is set to use Google Voice for voicemails but it doesn't register.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Man the new FB app is SO much nicer and looks way better too. Love the new notification screen, I can see twice as much poo poo.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

AppleCobbler posted:

New Google+ update is out, now that is a good app. I've been broadcasting my mood repeatedly, it feels like the good old days of MySpace.

Gifs finally work a year and a half after it's released. But you still have to click on the posts for them to work. Dammit Google.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Interociter posted:

Facebook update stuff

You're a fantastic resource and I don't want to abuse you. Is there a good official path for providing feedback? I just noticed tonight that the ability to swipe a comment to delete appears to be gone in the 2.0 release, although I was able to login to the mobile site from my phone's browser to do that. Actually, I noticed an Edit link on the mobile site, which is really what I was needing to do.

Not a big deal, just worth noting.

stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful

rndm posted:

Anyone else having issues with Google Voice not capturing voice mails? I'm on the N4 and I can't get Google Voice to come up as my voice mail, instead when someone calls it goes to my regular AT&T voicemail. I made to sure my phone is set to use Google Voice for voicemails but it doesn't register.

The Voice app needs such a major overhaul. I have mine "working" just fine, but I often have to click play multiple times, and sometimes refresh, and then play just to listen to a drat message.

stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful
Is there a reason Google hasn't released the 4.2 photosphere camera and new gallery interface as a standalone app?

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

rndm posted:

I had issues on T-Mobile on a HTC One S. I worked out it was probably a call-forwarding issue. I tried a few GSM codes, and then read on some support forums that too many attempts at call forwarding just messes the system up, so you need to call support to get them to fix it.

45 minutes of trying to get the customer service guy to figure out what I wanted, I was good and Google Voice's voicemail works perfectly.

So, I'm thinking this might be a network issue and not your phone.

TVarmy fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Dec 15, 2012

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

brc64 posted:

You're a fantastic resource and I don't want to abuse you. Is there a good official path for providing feedback? I just noticed tonight that the ability to swipe a comment to delete appears to be gone in the 2.0 release, although I was able to login to the mobile site from my phone's browser to do that. Actually, I noticed an Edit link on the mobile site, which is really what I was needing to do.

Not a big deal, just worth noting.

This:

https://blog.facebook.com/

Would probably be a good place to start.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

I'm looking at buying an Android phone for my father for christmas. Coming from the world of Apple, this poo poo's overwhelmingly confusing.

I know he wants a small phone, so I was trying to hit approximately iphone size. I have found the Sony Xperia P and it looks like it runs ICS and apparently will get Jellybean in the future. Can anyone :words: about it for me?

On that point, is future availability of upgrades a big thing? I've grown used to just knowing I'll get 3 or so years of upgrades out of Apple but I don't know how Android phones fare given that as I understand, the manufacturer has to do the upgrade not Google.

Also, are there any others that I should look at, at around the same form factor? Ideally I'd go for bigger icons than the Xperia P but without an increase in screen size if that's possible. Dad's got big hands (he's 6'4) but he hates big phones so I wanted to stick with something a little smaller.

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Nam Taf posted:

I'm looking at buying an Android phone for my father for christmas.

Ask in the Android Phone Thread and you'll probably get some better advice.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Nam Taf posted:

I'm looking at buying an Android phone for my father for christmas. Coming from the world of Apple, this poo poo's overwhelmingly confusing.

I know he wants a small phone, so I was trying to hit approximately iphone size. I have found the Sony Xperia P and it looks like it runs ICS and apparently will get Jellybean in the future. Can anyone :words: about it for me?

On that point, is future availability of upgrades a big thing? I've grown used to just knowing I'll get 3 or so years of upgrades out of Apple but I don't know how Android phones fare given that as I understand, the manufacturer has to do the upgrade not Google.

Also, are there any others that I should look at, at around the same form factor? Ideally I'd go for bigger icons than the Xperia P but without an increase in screen size if that's possible. Dad's got big hands (he's 6'4) but he hates big phones so I wanted to stick with something a little smaller.

Thanks in advance for any help :)

You'll never get iPhone level software upgrade longevity with an Android phone. Best you'll get are ~ 18 months (if you buy a top-tier phone) of software updates. Chances are your dad won't really care about this though.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
So I've inherited a large classic comic book collection. I'd like to categorize it easily so I can sell it if and when the time comes to do so (after I've read most/all of them). I was wondering if there's an app out there that will let me scan the barcode on each one and automatically pull info from some online database and get all the info on it and put it in a spreadsheet. If there was a way to do this, I'd be the happiest motherfucker alive as there are 15 boxes of books. Thanks.

Edit: I do have an old ipod touch laying around so if need be, I can use that. But I'm obviously looking for an android app.

FlyingCheese fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Dec 15, 2012

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Haha, don't get your hopes up. For what was supposed to be google's "BIG PUSH" into the music marketplace, google music has gotten...maybe 3 or 4 updates in almost 2 years of existence?

I like it, but it has plenty of problems that still haven't been addressed. Hell my ID3 tags are still being corrupted on certain songs after awhile, and it's happened across 3 different devices now.

I have almost no problems with Google Music, but there's one thing that riles me up: If you shuffle all your songs, then later on go to an album/artist and choose "Play" from them, it keeps the shuffle function on. I can't understand the rationale for this.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Interociter posted:

:words: about Facebook

Just quoting you to (hopefully) bring this post to your attention. I think I've found a bit of an issue in the new version of the app. When it refreshes the news feed, it brings in new posts but doesn't appear to update the comments/likes for posts which are already present on the feed.

For example, what happened just now was I went back into the app after not having had it open for a while and it refreshed. New posts appeared, old posts appeared to have the same number of comments/likes. I actually opened an old post and suddenly there were extra comments and likes. After closing that post the news feed then had the correct counts for comments and likes on that post.

I'm not sure whether this is a problem with actually pulling the data down, or whether the data is received but the UI isn't updated for some reason.

UK Samsung Galaxy S2, unbranded, not rooted, running Android 4.0.4.

rolleyes fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Dec 15, 2012

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I've just gotten my 3G Nexus 7, and I've been pretty happy with it.

One thing I'd like to do is be able to force the tablet to go 'WCDMA Only' on certain occasions, as the regular settings will usually have me stuck on 2G/Edge due to the generally better signal. I know on regular phones, you can access the Testing menu where the setting for 'WCDMA Only' is by entering *#*#4636#*#* in the Phone app; however, since the N7 has no Phone app, I'm looking for an alternative method.

Is there an app or widget that can allow me to use a shortcut straight to the Testing menu?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

anakha posted:

I've just gotten my 3G Nexus 7, and I've been pretty happy with it.

One thing I'd like to do is be able to force the tablet to go 'WCDMA Only' on certain occasions, as the regular settings will usually have me stuck on 2G/Edge due to the generally better signal. I know on regular phones, you can access the Testing menu where the setting for 'WCDMA Only' is by entering *#*#4636#*#* in the Phone app; however, since the N7 has no Phone app, I'm looking for an alternative method.

Is there an app or widget that can allow me to use a shortcut straight to the Testing menu?
This should do it.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Sweet, thanks!

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Can anyone comment on how well the MLB At Bat Android app works for streaming games these days? It is probably my final deciding factor between a new iPad and a Nexus 7.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

lessthankyle posted:

I have almost no problems with Google Music, but there's one thing that riles me up: If you shuffle all your songs, then later on go to an album/artist and choose "Play" from them, it keeps the shuffle function on. I can't understand the rationale for this.

The app preserves your shuffle setting, this is how every PC music player since EVER has done it too. Don't know why you would want it to constantly forget settings.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Of course, the shuffle itself is broken as poo poo. As often as not, when I have it set to shuffle it will just play the songs in order anyway.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

What's the consensus on the best IRC client for phones/tablets?

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Evil Mastermind posted:

What's the consensus on the best IRC client for phones/tablets?

I've been happy with AndIRC.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

resident posted:

Can anyone comment on how well the MLB At Bat Android app works for streaming games these days? It is probably my final deciding factor between a new iPad and a Nexus 7.
It works pretty well for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

resident posted:

I haven't used it since the World Series (:argh:Giants!:argh:), but toward the end of the season, they introduced a new interface they're going to use for the 2013 season - it brings it close to the iOS interface, but the iOS version of the app is still nicer.

• Locked thread