Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Shipped my gifts today! They're just going across town, so it should be there tomorrow or monday at the latest. Updated my tracking number on elfster so it should all be set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JJJJJS
Sep 17, 2007
Fulfilled my Santa-y duties today and shipped out some gifts to my giftee today. Wrote some notes on each package, open them in order for maximum enjoyment!

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

madpanda posted:

what a fantastic duck.

We do love our duck around this neck of the woods. Our minor league baseball (previously hockey) team was named pretty much after it and the farmstand where it was.

Not so lovely, It turns out the postal system screwed the pooch with my Mega Everdrive and sorted it with regular mail meaning I just initialized a wild goose (or duck) chase to find it in normal circulation. On top of a busted SNES in their hands earlier this month, they seems to be hiring more inbreds there beside the one I know for the holiday season.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

madpanda posted:

My secret santa box arrived today.

Look at all this nice wrapping and what a fantastic duck.

As per the cards instructions I have paid tribute to the duck by creating a extremely accurate statue of it.

Thats some pretty nice wrapping i should carefully... gently caress it #yolo

Holy crap what a haul.

I've been wanting cyborg justice for a while but keep forgetting about it. I didn't even know their was an alterted beast version on gba. Ice Climber has also been on my meaning to get but I forgot about it. Thats a great start to my 3DO collection and beefed up my Genesis collection as well.

Monster Party...

I remeber this game as a kid and saw a screenshot of it recently which brought back a nostalgia wave. So I picked it up about 2 weeks ago and forgot to update rfgeneration. Its just as wierd and difficult as I remember.

Since I now have 2 copies, in the holiday spirit the first person to post that they would like this game will get it.

The lobster was met with sniffing and interest.

Thanks Panic Restaurant!

Yay! :neckbeard: Glad everything arrived safely! You can thank the future Mrs. Restaurant for the wrapping, anything I wrap ends up crumpled and covered in hair and debris. Love that duck sculpture! Hope you enjoy the games, and hopefully kitty will like his (her?) toy too. :3:

Awesome to see Monster Party getting a good home! Enjoy its psychotic splendor, Code Jockey!

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Panic Restaurant posted:

Awesome to see Monster Party getting a good home! Enjoy its psychotic splendor, Code Jockey!

Oh I will! I've wanted that game for ages and can never find it. :neckbeard:

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

:siren:A PACKAGE APPROACHES!:siren:

A WILD SARGSS APPEARS!

Keys! I choose you~! LET'S OPEN THIS poo poo UP!

Yessssss I got a letter for Christmas! It is a letter inviting me to RPG TOWN!

I won't transcribe it word for word but it is a very nice letter and describes each of the games included. So now let's dig through the paper and see what I got! :3:

Some lovely NES games I don't have!

The Magic of Scheherazade is on the left and described by my santa as "very much like the original Legend of Zelda....with a middle eastern theme." Neat!

Faxanadu on the left is "a much better game than Zelda II (in terms of being a sequel to Zelda)."

Onward!

Elemental Gimmick Gear is apparently a 2D adevnture RPG with 3D battles where you wander around in a mech and do poo poo. This sounds cool!

Now the bread and butter and the cockles of my heart, the Genesis haul!

drat YOU EXCITEMENT AND YOUR BLURRINESS :argh:

Starflight sounds like an RPG Star Command? Or maybe an RPG of....Escape Velocity? I have no idea but I'ma check that poo poo out!

Shining in the Darkness I definitely have heard of since I own Shining Force 1 and 2, but I've never actually played it, so this is great to have the game that started it all!

The other game is Light Crusader which is an adventure game by Treasure. I've heard of this one before too and I love Treasure so this should be loving great!

Man, these are awesome, I am so glad I-...wait...what's this rattling around in the box?

:o:

HOORAY!

I don't actually own and have never played Phantasy Star IV so this is an AWESOME gift! It was also out of the personal collection of my Santa so I really appreciate it!

Santa "AwwJeah" is a super loving boss! Thanks for the gifts and the letter, dude! :3:

scrub lover
Apr 22, 2005

Allen Wren posted:

I know this is a weird request, but could you possibly scan one of the pages from that for me? This is mostly because no-one believes me that that guide suggests that the 1-up from Megaman 2 is an evil agent of the enemy. (It's in a caption under the screenshot of Quick Man's stage.)

Also, slick haul.

My interpretation is that they're saying this particular 1-up is essentially luring players to their deaths.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Uncle Jenkins posted:

My interpretation is that they're saying this particular 1-up is essentially luring players to their deaths.

... which it is, right? Unless you use the Flash Stopper?

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Uncle Jenkins posted:

I wonder if the information in that guide was translated from Japanese. Poorly.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

You're a gentleman and a scholar, thanks.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

Uncle Jenkins posted:

Perhaps, every life Mega Man has after the first one is a clone and an evil agent of Quickman. It makes a lot of sense, especially since Mega Man 1 and 3 has you fighting clones of MM. :tinfoil:

AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!

Quidnose posted:

Santa "AwwJeah" is a super loving boss! Thanks for the gifts and the letter, dude! :3:
Ain't nothin but a thang, fella! :hfive:

Glad you're psyched about Phantasy Star IV. I payed WAY too much for it before realizing it was just going to rot in my house. Glad it found a happy home!

Let us know what you think of EGG when you get around to it. Super curious about that one. Enjoy yourself!

AwwJeah fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Dec 15, 2012

AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!
quote is not edit

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.

Code Jockey posted:

... which it is, right? Unless you use the Flash Stopper?

No, you can grab that life very easily without risking death.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
Do the model 1 and model 2 genesi use the same power brick? I just got given two model 1's with no power bricks. But no stickers on the bottom for voltage.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Kilazar posted:

Do the model 1 and model 2 genesi use the same power brick? I just got given two model 1's with no power bricks. But no stickers on the bottom for voltage.

no

http://www.gametrog.com/GAMETROG/Ho...22_aa-s95j.html

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

This says the Dreamcast cable is super common. I need one to test if that's why my Dreamcast won't turn on, but I don't think I have a spare at all. Does anyone know where to get one for cheap?

I tried looking on Monoprice but searching 'power cable' isn't too useful there.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

elf help book posted:

This says the Dreamcast cable is super common. I need one to test if that's why my Dreamcast won't turn on, but I don't think I have a spare at all. Does anyone know where to get one for cheap?

I tried looking on Monoprice but searching 'power cable' isn't too useful there.

Dreamcast really does use a super-common power cord. You can use the one that works on the fat PS2, the original XBox, the original PS1, amongst others. That being said, it's incredibly unlikely the power cord is bad.

Kilazar posted:

OHhhh, that is worth something. One of my biggest gripes about most recliner items, they take up more space even when not reclined. Because you have to plan for the reclining aspect. I think you just shot this chair to the top of my list good sir.

Mind if I pm you some questions about it?

Sure thing!

Due to this thread I now must own Elemental Gimmick Gear and ponder how the hell I never heard of it before. You Santee's rock!

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Dec 15, 2012

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

AwwJeah posted:

Ain't nothin but a thang, fella! :hfive:

Glad you're psyched about Phantasy Star IV. I payed WAY too much for it before realizing it was just going to rot in my house. Glad it found a happy home!

Let us know what you think of EGG when you get around to it. Super curious about that one. Enjoy yourself!

Egg is something that's along the lines of the older 2D Zeldas, but with higher production values and a mech customization system.

If you like the old Zeldas, it ranks right up there with the best of them.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Due to this thread I now must own Elemental Gimmick Gear and ponder how the hell I never heard of it before. You Santee's rock!

This is a really good Dreamcast RPG and everyone should play it :colbert:

I can't wait to do secret santa next year. My game collection was not at its healthiest state this time around, but I'll have so much to give out next year.

tvb
Dec 22, 2004

We don't understand Chinese, dude!
Santa came this week! (Sorry for the crummy pictures!)

Hot drat! A fat Game Boy! I haven't wrapped my grubby mitts around one of these in years - I forgot they had a contrast wheel!
Also:
Robocop, Cosmo Tank (with a DIY label, maybe?), Wheel of Fortune, Metroid II, Killer Instinct, Pokemon Red, NFL Blitz, Powerpuff Girls, Driver, Blade and perhaps the most unusual GB game I've ever played: Dragonheart.

Some Batman figurines and a classy coaster!

Oh poo poo! A weird LCD game, a classic Capcom compilation for GBA, and a mystery GBA game! The suspense is killing me! But what, there's more...

:stare: A motherfucking N64! :drat: Thank you so, so much! That is rad as hell. And with a first party controller with a good stick, too! Castlevania 64, Wipeout 64 and WWF Wrestlemania 2000, too -- drat, drat, drat, dude.

Wait a minute, what's this last thing...

You cheeky bastard.

Thanks for making Christmas this year so awesome. I can't wait to start tearing into these oldies. :cheers:

Technowrite
Jan 18, 2006

I first battled the Metroids on Planet Zebes.
My Santee should be getting his today. I EXPECT PICTURES.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Chainclaw posted:

Ummmm, I Robot is first gen 3D graphics. It was released 10 years before Star Fox.

I, Robot is pretty awesome. It's such an eccentric little game with a great design aesthetic, and it's the only arcade game with a paint mode. When you drop in your quarter you have a choice between playing the actual game, or diddling around for ~3 minutes in a funky MS-Paint style canvas with animated 3D polygons.

Of course, I, Robot was predated by vector 3D games like Battlezone and Star Wars, but as far as I know it was the first shaded 3D game.

Virtual Fighter 4 for the PS2 has Virtua Fighter 1 included as a bonus/easter egg mode, and it's a great study in contrasts and "wow that used to look so good". Also I'm not sure I realized they made Virtua Fighter for the 32X:

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

h_double posted:

I, Robot is pretty awesome. It's such an eccentric little game with a great design aesthetic, and it's the only arcade game with a paint mode. When you drop in your quarter you have a choice between playing the actual game, or diddling around for ~3 minutes in a funky MS-Paint style canvas with animated 3D polygons.

Of course, I, Robot was predated by vector 3D games like Battlezone and Star Wars, but as far as I know it was the first shaded 3D game.

Virtual Fighter 4 for the PS2 has Virtua Fighter 1 included as a bonus/easter egg mode, and it's a great study in contrasts and "wow that used to look so good". Also I'm not sure I realized they made Virtua Fighter for the 32X:

I have VF for the 32x and it is pretty much unplayable today.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

elf help book posted:

It's usually called a figure 8 cable.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/search.asp?keyword=figure+8+power

Erluk
Nov 11, 2007

"If you can't beat 'em, STRANGLE 'EM"

I loving hate everything

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Technowrite posted:

My Santee should be getting his today. I EXPECT PICTURES.

I did get it today. :)

I like how you cut out different letters for the words. I wonder what's in it?

Alright! Dr. Mario, Buck Bumble, and Midtown Madness 3!

You even sent me a Christmas card! :3:

Thanks for the gifts!

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Santa came today!

He even left a note!

And of course games:

But wait, what's this? NOOO!!!!

Phew!

Awesome haul. Thanks much Lepecard

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

tvb posted:

Santa came this week!

...Cosmo Tank (with a DIY label, maybe?)

...and a mystery GBA game! The suspense is killing me!
:cheers:

That Cosmo Tank I bought from a grocery store around 1999 for $5 and it came shrink wrapped to a piece of cardboard. It's a pretty cool game for sure and that's how the label has been since day one. One of these days I'll spend 2 seconds searching and see what the actual cover looks like.

Also the mystery GBA game should be drive enough to get a fatty DS and/or GBA to continue the quest.

Glad everything arrived in one piece and enjoy!!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Ambitious Spider posted:

He even left a note!

And of course games:

But wait, what's this? NOOO!!!!

This wins the creepiest present of the thread.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

elf help book posted:

You can use any power cord that'll fit. I have a ton of them from old boomboxes and poo poo. They work for any console with an internal PSU.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Silhouette posted:

You can use any power cord that'll fit. I have a ton of them from old boomboxes and poo poo. They work for any console with an internal PSU.

And I'm pretty sure I have none, I've looked around. I think my last cable box had one but I don't own it anymore.

Thanks!

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.
Anyone know what would make a Super Famicom/Super Nintendo not display video (both from AV and RF)? Audio comes through just fine.

I have several systems, tools to open them, a multimeter and a soldering iron.

Technowrite
Jan 18, 2006

I first battled the Metroids on Planet Zebes.

Mill Village posted:

I did get it today. :)

I like how you cut out different letters for the words. I wonder what's in it?

Alright! Dr. Mario, Buck Bumble, and Midtown Madness 3!

You even sent me a Christmas card! :3:

Thanks for the gifts!

You're welcome. Now scurry off to enjoy them.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

ACID POLICE posted:

This is a really good Dreamcast RPG and everyone should play it :colbert:

Yeah the Dreamcast has a really good solid RPG library.

Then again I think it's entire RPG library is 4 games. Skies of Arcadia, Grandia II, EGG, and Shenmue. Allthough I have no idea why Shenmue is dirt cheap where as either version of Skies of Arcadia goes for 40+. :psyduck:

AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!

WendigoJohnson posted:

Then again I think it's entire RPG library is 4 games. Skies of Arcadia, Grandia II, EGG, and Shenmue. Allthough I have no idea why Shenmue is dirt cheap where as either version of Skies of Arcadia goes for 40+. :psyduck:
The Evolution series is also awesome. :colbert:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

AwwJeah posted:

The Evolution series is also awesome. :colbert:

From what I played of it 4-5 hours in, it seemed very middle of the road. I never picked up Evolution 2 so I can only comment on one.

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat

Ambitious Spider posted:

Santa came today!

Awesome haul. Thanks much Lepecard

Gah, looks like the tape almost gave out on most of those.

Also, sorry for that weird mark on Castlevania, the guy on Craigslist failed to mention it until I already had met up with him to pick it up!

Still, I hope you enjoy them!

Ineffiable posted:

This wins the creepiest present of the thread.

It was actually a lot creepier!
The package was originally wrapped in brown paper with more cut out letters for the addresses(but done neatly) and even tied with twine but they said it was almost guaranteed to be flagged and opened so I had to remove the outer paper and just go with regular old ink :(

EDIT: Holy poo poo, I wasn't the only one to use cut-out letters!?

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Lepecard posted:

Gah, looks like the tape almost gave out on most of those.

Also, sorry for that weird mark on Castlevania, the guy on Craigslist failed to mention it until I already had met up with him to pick it up!

Still, I hope you enjoy them!

I'm not a huge stickler for minor defects. So much so, that I didn't notice until you pointed it out.

quote:

It was actually a lot creepier!
The package was originally wrapped in brown paper with more cut out letters for the addresses(but done neatly) and even tied with twine but they said it was almost guaranteed to be flagged and opened so I had to remove the outer paper and just go with regular old ink :(

EDIT: Holy poo poo, I wasn't the only one to use cut-out letters!?

I think if you had done that and it had made it here, I would have been way too frightened to open it.

Anyway, I'm especially pumped for UN Squadron. It's a game I've heard very good things about but have never played and I never remember to look for it either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

WendigoJohnson posted:

The Dreamcast had a few more RPGs than that. Aside from AwwJeah's mentioning of Evolution 1 and 2, there's also Armada, Phantasy Star Online, Phantasy Star Online Version 2, Record of Lodoss War, Time Stalkers, and Segagaga. I never played Dragonriders of Pern or Silver, but both of those look like RPGs, too.

• Locked thread