Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

how!!
Nov 19, 2011

by angerbot

dingy dimples posted:

Anyway, I answered that I'd use either a mutex or a spinlock depending on the situation, and they seemed impressed. They actually turned me down later for a lack of domain knowledge (which was totally fair and probably best for everyone) but it wasn't a blow to my ego. I would have felt a whole lot worse if I had flubbed a simple question about threads.

If you had asked me to explain what a mutex is, or what a spinlock is, I would give you a blank stare. If you asked me to write code that prevents two threads from accessing a variable at the same time, I could handle that with no problem. Just because I can't name the technique doesn't mean I can't do it.

I'm guessing the majority of developers in this thread are CS people. I'm not a CS guy. I'm self taught. The only problem I have as far as a programmer is passing interviews. I can write code better than anyone in this thread, as long as I have time to research solutions and think my way through. Yeah I guess that makes me cocky, but so be it. I understand your point with the restaurant thing, but I don't need to change. I program on my own personal projects every day. I write dozens, if not hundreds of lines of code every day. I solve real problems. An interviewer's brain twister is not a real problem. My dream is to some day interview with a company that understands this.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

how!! posted:

If you had asked me to explain what a mutex is, or what a spinlock is, I would give you a blank stare. If you asked me to write code that prevents two threads from accessing a variable at the same time, I could handle that with no problem. Just because I can't name the technique doesn't mean I can't do it.

it turns out being able to explain to other programmers what you are doing, and being able to understand other programmers when they explain it, is quite a useful skill.

quote:

I'm guessing the majority of developers in this thread are CS people. I'm not a CS guy. I'm self taught. The only problem I have as far as a programmer is passing interviews.

:3:

quote:

I can write code better than anyone in this thread, as long as I have time to research solutions and think my way through. Yeah I guess that makes me cocky, but so be it.

Bravo.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

how!! posted:

I'm guessing the majority of developers in this thread are CS people. I'm not a CS guy. I'm self taught. The only problem I have as far as a programmer is passing interviews. I can write code better than anyone in this thread, as long as I have time to research solutions and think my way through. Yeah I guess that makes me cocky, but so be it. I understand your point with the restaurant thing, but I don't need to change. I program on my own personal projects every day. I write dozens, if not hundreds of lines of code every day. I solve real problems. An interviewer's brain twister is not a real problem. My dream is to some day interview with a company that understands this.

Multithreading is hard and debugging issues involving multithreading is a huge pain in the rear end. If I had a drink for every time some idiot checks in something that results in test providing minidumps that say HEAP_CORRUPTION I'd be dead right now. You could be that idiot if someone let you through a coding interview.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

how!! posted:

I'm guessing the majority of developers in this thread are CS people. I'm not a CS guy. I'm self taught. The only problem I have as far as a programmer is passing interviews.

The reason you cannot pass interviews is that you cannot convince people of your ability to program.

There are two possible reasons for this I can see.

1. Interviews are fundamentally broken and thus why you fail them.

2. You don't actually understand programming.

Given you are the only common factor amongst all of your failures, I would venture that 2 is more likely than 1.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

how!! posted:

I understand your point with the restaurant thing, but I don't need to change.

Best post of 2012.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

how!! posted:

I can write code better than anyone in this thread, as long as I have time to research solutions and think my way through. Yeah I guess that makes me cocky, but so be it.

At first I was going to laugh at you but then I saw this:

quote:

I understand your point with the restaurant thing, but I don't need to change.

Jesus Christ you need professional help man. You just said you're infallible and then admit you can't get a job because those darn interviewers are so dumb and won't let you google the answer.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

how!! posted:

I'm guessing the majority of developers in this thread are CS people. I'm not a CS guy. I'm self taught.
I was too. A big part of the reason I decided to go to university is because of this forum and how it made me realize how little I actually knew about the art of programming. I thought I was a great programmer when I was 18, but when I was 20 I was depressed about how lovely I was. But even before I went I put in a lot of time studying computer science on my own and never for a second doubted how important it is.

That said, I'm pretty sure you passed the point of self-parody a long time ago and now you're just loving around.

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

Analytic Engine posted:

Wow, I learned a lot reading thid thread. Is programming completely decoupled from the US economy? If not, how tough are these $70K+ jobs that 22 year old comp sci majors can do as entry-level? Or is it a matter of being 2-3 times better than the outsourced alternative? Isn't that better than any other job that you can get without nepotism or insider connections out of school?

I'm considering a career in programming, but I'm coming from Math/Physics and am learning Python & CS theory after knowing a little Objective C and Matlab. Grad school pays like $15k-$30k for every STEM subject and it's often excruciating, is the grass really that much greener?

I'm not disrespecting you here, I honestly love programming and would like to do more. It's confusing that regular US citizens are so out of the loop though, as I doubt I could convince struggling and desperate acquaintances that learning to code is the single best use of any poor & smart person's time which it apparently is!

I can only speak for companies that I have worked at, but if you are in the top 30-40% of your class at a competitive school, you will be starting in the 65-70k range in most areas. The jobs are not all that tough - most are basically hooking databases up to UI.

how!! posted:

You're an arrogant example of the Dunning-Kruger effect who refuses to listen. You have been repeatedly fired from jobs for trying to get them to rewrite their whole code base from scratch because you think it is hard to understand or something. You don't understand the real world. I get the impression that if I hired you, your daily standup status would often involve the phrases 'researched' and 'planned' with very little features actually getting accomplished.

You know what makes code good? It does what the client wants and they will pay you for it. Readability is better. A good architecture is better. But the code has to get written. I wrote a 6000 loc android application in 15 days without working overtime. It had a data access layer, a MVC architecture, and very few bugs. But most importantly, it existed and someone bought it. The point of writing beautiful, well architected code is not to write beautiful, well architected code. It is so that you can write the next bit of code faster, so you can deliver more features so you can beat your competitors and get paid.

Entry level interviews are stunningly easy to pass. Know how to define basic OO concepts and talk about how you have used them, maybe a design pattern or two, very basic data structures, a little bit of live coding, maybe a code review and you are done. Oh and having projects that you can talk about and prove you did stuff on. If you can do that you can get a job making 65k+ easy. The fact that you are having so much difficulty should make you realize that maybe you are doing it wrong.

gucci void main posted:

What do you personally recommend I do? I lost PMs, is it possible I can email you or something?

I'm thinking this, but I'm wondering if I do it now before they even put an offer out, or do it afterwards. The company seems somewhat established and I know for a fact that they have at least one incredibly major client signed on. Money should not be an issue for them. As I said before, they complimented me on the fact that I did well on what was asked of me, as well as my general demeanor and the fact that I showed up early to meet with them. I'd hate to kill off an opportunity before it can happen, but the more I think about it, the more I feel like I'm being played. I know I'm not perfect, but this job is going to be dramatically more difficult and the wage should be set accordingly. Short of "they're trying to cheap out on me," I don't understand what about hiring someone explicitly as a junior developer makes me that much less worthwhile. If I was able to do what was asked, doesn't that immediately flag me as less of a risk?
Other people have covered this, but you can e-mail me if you want. It's my username + 4703@gmail.com.

how!!
Nov 19, 2011

by angerbot

Ranma posted:

You're an arrogant example of the Dunning-Kruger effect who refuses to listen. You have been repeatedly fired from jobs for trying to get them to rewrite their whole code base from scratch because you think it is hard to understand or something. You don't understand the real world. I get the impression that if I hired you, your daily standup status would often involve the phrases 'researched' and 'planned' with very little features actually getting accomplished.
No, if I were an example of the Dunning Kruger Effect, I would be claiming I can write a better strlen than the language designers. I am claiming the opposite. Thats why I use their code, and I don't make an attempt to write my own.

quote:

You know what makes code good? It does what the client wants and they will pay you for it. Readability is better. A good architecture is better. But the code has to get written. I wrote a 6000 loc android application in 15 days without working overtime. It had a data access layer, a MVC architecture, and very few bugs. But most importantly, it existed and someone bought it. The point of writing beautiful, well architected code is not to write beautiful, well architected code. It is so that you can write the next bit of code faster, so you can deliver more features so you can beat your competitors and get paid.

I agre with al of this, whats your point? I've shipped code too. I've probably shipped more code than you have. I wrote a 1000 line HTML5 mobile app a few weeks ago. I wrote a 25,000 line we app that 3000 people use. I have a github account full of production code that I've written. I don't know where you get the idea that I don't write code. You illustrate the problem that I'm railing about. Despite the mountains and mountains of evidence in front of you that I (and people similar to myself) can indeed code very well, you assume that since I can't spit out the definition of a mutex that I am completely worthless as a developer. You are the problem.

quote:

Entry level interviews are stunningly easy to pass. Know how to define basic OO concepts and talk about how you have used them, maybe a design pattern or two, very basic data structures, a little bit of live coding, maybe a code review and you are done. Oh and having projects that you can talk about and prove you did stuff on. If you can do that you can get a job making 65k+ easy. The fact that you are having so much difficulty should make you realize that maybe you are doing it wrong.

They are stunningly worthless. Being able to namedrop "Adapter Pattern, linked lists, big O" does not mean you a great developer. Great development skills come from experience. No interviewer I ever interviewed with has understood this.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Jesus christ just stop replying to How!! already.

lmao zebong
Nov 25, 2006

NBA All-Injury First Team

gucci void main posted:

Don't use Dice. Don't talk to (their kind of) recruiters. I've been on that same path and it's simply a waste of your time.

If you are entirely capable of doing what you do (and I'm sure you are), get an interview to StackOverflow Careers, put your profile/resume together on there, and fire it away at job postings you're interested in. You'll find something, I assure you. I'm only moderately capable with Rails right now, and I've still been pushing my current project to my Github account as often as I reasonably can, and I've had more legitimate phone screens/interviews in the last three weeks than I've had in the last six months.

I also responded to a posting seeking a senior level developer just recently and still got a phone screen/future coding exercise for a potential junior opportunity if only because I have some samples to look at, and I'm actually using a service where the people looking at your qualifications are actual developers.

I just wanted to jump in during this annoying sperg argument and say that I really appreciated this advice. I requested an invitation to StackOverflow Careers and got invited the next day, and threw out about 20 job applications on Wednesday night while watching tv. Fast forward to today (Saturday) and I have done 4 phone interviews, have 3 phone calls set up for early next week all with reputable companies and am going to be heading to San Francisco for in-person interviews/meet the dev team next week for two companies.
I was getting a bit disheartened from just going on Dice and only getting responses from lovely recruiters who want to put me in Senior positions fresh out of college, and getting all these responses from companies is really motivating. I obviously have not done anything past the initial HR screen/pretty simple technical questions but so far it's looking really good, and it's all in thanks to this thread. I have gotten a crazy amount of advice from this board and it's looking like it's all going to work out.

I also want to say that entry level devs coming out of school really shouldn't lowball themselves. Granted I'm looking for jobs in San Francisco so wages are a bit skewed, but whenever I've been asked what my salary requests are, I've been saying $90,000-$110,000 and so far nobody has balked or batted an eye. I feel like an idiot saying those huge numbers since I'm a fresh graduate but the demand is there, especially in places like New York or the Bay Area where the tech industry is strong. I went to a no-name CSU here in California and my GPA is so low (~2.7) that I don't even bother listing it, but with my outside experience and personality my education has not beed a hindrance. I've only been told by one company that my school wasn't prestigious enough and that they were looking for developers coming from the top-20 schools. Good luck with that.

lmao zebong fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Dec 15, 2012

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

how!! posted:

No, if I were an example of the Dunning Kruger Effect, I would be claiming I can write a better strlen than the language designers. I am claiming the opposite. Thats why I use their code, and I don't make an attempt to write my own.

There are a bunch of very smart programmers in here i've had the privilege of learning from. There is a lot of expertise floating around.

What you claimed was given infinite time and resources you could do better than anyone in the thread. A fair claim, because the reality you miss is the finite time and resources available to solve problems at hand.

quote:

I've probably shipped more code than you have. You assume that since I can't spit out the definition of a mutex that I am completely worthless as a developer.

To be fair it isn't the things you say on their own that make us think you're worthless, it's the combination thereof.

quote:

They are stunningly worthless. Being able to namedrop "Adapter Pattern, linked lists, big O" does not mean you a great developer. Great development skills come from experience. No interviewer I ever interviewed with has understood this.

There are people who can only name things and they know nothing. Thus someone who knows something but cannot explain it are the best alternative.

Some people actually understand the code they write and can explain it using a language many programmers understand. It may seem like harry-potter speak to you, but learning coding jargon speeds up communication quite a bit, despite so many of the terms being overloaded.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

astr0man posted:

Jesus christ just stop replying to How!! already.

It's ok he's stopped replying to me :3:

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Ithaqua posted:

I'd class that as unusual outside of superstars. The best developer/architect (with 20+ years of experience) I know is at around 150k. I work out of NYC with around 8 years of experience and I'm getting 92 right now. Of course, my gig is mostly working from home, so I didn't push too hard for a higher salary given that my commuting costs are nonexistent.

Six figures is a career goal, not an expectation for showing up with a degree.

[edit] Of course, it depends a lot on industry and the individual employer. Financial services tend to pay more but also demand more time and energy. I'm a consultant, and I rarely bill more than 40 hours a week for my paycheck.

For what it's worth, the starting salary at a particular large company in the SF area for someone from a top school with a masters degree is around 100k (and I think that might actually be below market rate). I knew people there who were making near 200k in salary (and had surely significant equity at that point), but had been there for 15-20 years.

A friend who is my age (4-5 years out of master's degree) just recently got a job at a smaller company in the area and is being paid around ~180k.

how!! posted:

Mutexes are pretty central to thread safety. If you don't know what a mutex is, I refuse to believe you've ever safely implemented a multithreaded program that shares state between threads. Further, I believe that if you were actually tasked with doing so, you would be unaware of the fact that you might need a mutex.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Steering wheel? Brake fluid? Not sure what any of that stuff is. The important thing is that if you ask me to build you a car, I can do it.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Rurutia posted:

:psyduck: Are you sure? Glassdoor definitely doesn't corroborate that, and I'm pretty sure it doesn't happen in Seattle either.

edit With the qualifiers 'easily' and 'pretty good', obviously.

SF, tens of thousands of jobs to fill, with only thousands of qualified engineers looking for a new job at any given time.

$200K+ range type jobs are usually in non-startup companies though. Essentially they're paying the extra because they can't really offer stock, and they're essentially competing with startups offering $150K+stock.

Keep in mind that range though is for "amazing" developers. There are probably famous/well-known community developers that could probably command an extra $50K. It's probably not unheard of for Google, Amazon, or Adobe getting into some bidding war over an Engineer.

But at that point, it seems to me like money is the last thing on a developer's mind. Sure at $50-70K that $20K is actually a big difference. But $150K-$200K? Sure $50K is a ton of money, but not enough to move into a lovely situation or a bad team for that amount.

gucci void main posted:

I just took a few minutes and went over some math. I'm using a salary calculator (Paycheck City), but I recall it being pretty accurate in the past with a previous job. Again, assume it's not 100% accurate, but fairly ballpark. With inputs of 50-80k, I get the following bi-weekly net pay values (with their pre-tax values as well):

50k: $1,352 ($2,704/mo) // $1,929 ($3,858/mo)
60k: $1,579 ($3,158/mo) // $2,307 ($4,614/mo)
70k: $1,806 ($3,612/mo) // $2,692 ($5,384/mo)
80k: $2,033 ($4,066/mo) // $3,076 ($6,152/mo)

The difference between my taxed salary at an annual rate of 80k vs 50k is $1,362 a month, and before taxes, $2,294. It was indicated that I'd be on a standard 3-month review/probationary period as with pretty much any job. Even if they did pay me 80k and I was terrible and they canned me after three months, it's an extra net loss of $6,882 compared to if I was paid 50k. Is it a lot of money? For an individual employee, I suppose, but not in the grand scheme of things. If I'm doing my job well, that money is well-spent.

I'm realizing how hosed up and minimal the difference is in money when it comes to being paid fairly and allowing me to live happily/comfortably.

You think it is minimal? Imagine a company and how minimal that pay bump is for them.

Recruiting at a company is all about getting the person hired for the least amount of money. Do you think they give a poo poo about an extra $10-$20K? Only if they think they can get you for less. If it's going to take them an extra $10K and you're the guy they want. That is like nothing to a company. Even a startup, especially since startups need Engineers. At worst they will trade stock for money with you, which if you're going into a startup is probably the best outcome. It is not recruiting's money, so they don't really care (other than to make a game of how low can this guy be hired for?)

The guy who said he'll try and see if they can get it bumped up? Of course they will. Essentially both of you have already pegged your worth at the $50K level, bumping you another $5K is not going to make them sweat, but it will make you happier to join.

The only bright spot I see in your position is that you're getting a 3 month review. Because asking for $80K when it looked like you were OK with $50K is going to be hard, especially if you're scared of negotiating your salary. I would definitely try to get it up from $50k (maybe say you just calculated and realized that it's going to be difficult to live in NYC on that salary). If you don't get a big increase and you still want to join, just join and re-negotiate at the 3 month review. If you're good and they're any kind of smart, they'll gladly bump up your salary then.

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Dec 15, 2012

greatZebu
Aug 29, 2004

how!! posted:

At the design review meeting:

Engineer 1: We'll need to add a mutex here to ensure correctness.
Engineer 2: What do we know about the duration and frequency of requests that we expect? I think a spinlock might perform better.
Engineer 1: That's definitely possible, but we're not even sure that this part of the code will be a bottleneck. Let's revisit the spinlock vs mutex issue once we have some hard data.
how!!: I don't know what these words you guys are talking about mean, and I don't understand why you won't listen to my very simple solution. We should just google for the answer! There's probably already some code out there that does what we need. That's how you solve real problems.
Engineers 1 & 2: :ughh:

how!!
Nov 19, 2011

by angerbot

Steve French posted:

Mutexes are pretty central to thread safety. If you don't know what a mutex is, I refuse to believe you've ever safely implemented a multithreaded program that shares state between threads. Further, I believe that if you were actually tasked with doing so, you would be unaware of the fact that you might need a mutex.

You're right, I've never implemented a mutex. Its never came up in my career. If it ever did, I'd google "python thread locking" and it would lead me here: http://docs.python.org/2/library/threading.html

Within there I'd find this: http://docs.python.org/2/library/threading.html#lock-objects

I would then spend a day or so reading those docs and trying out different things. This is why I say context matters when it comes to solving problems. A well formulated stackoverflow question (not just "send me teh codez") will result in someone smarter than me saying: "what you want it a mutex, look here: http://docs.python.org/2/library/mutex.html"

tef posted:

It's ok he's stopped replying to me :3:

I don't reply to negativity.

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010

how!! posted:

You're right, I've never implemented a mutex. Its never came up in my career. If it ever did, I'd google "python thread locking" and it would lead me here: http://docs.python.org/2/library/threading.html

Within there I'd find this: http://docs.python.org/2/library/threading.html#lock-objects

I would then spend a day or so reading those docs and trying out different things. This is why I say context matters when it comes to solving problems. A well formulated stackoverflow question (not just "send me teh codez") will result in someone smarter than me saying: "what you want it a mutex, look here: http://docs.python.org/2/library/mutex.html"

Yeah, and then what do you do when someone does
code:
Thread 1          Thread 2
readlock          writelock
writelock         readlock
Do you google "deadlock" (after you somehow figure out that there is a term for the problem you're facing) and try to teach yourself concurrency theory based on the Python specs?

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Volte posted:

Steering wheel? Brake fluid? Not sure what any of that stuff is. The important thing is that if you ask me to build you a car, I can do it.

benz addition to godwins law

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

how!! posted:

I would then spend a day or so reading those docs and trying out different things.

This attitude crops up a lot when dealing with junior people. Yes, yes, I'm sure you're quite clever and can take some time to understand what the rest of us think of as the baseline for doing this work. I'm not going to contest that.

My problem is when I'm hiring someone, I've got a complex problem already waiting and I need bodies solving it. I can't afford the time to ramp someone on the basics and then ramp them on the complexities of our business. Granted, I work in hardware so "the basics" I'm referring to are more like pipelines, cache topologies, etc. but the sentiment is largely the same.

With respect to Dunning-Kruger, I believe that was the whole mess about B-trees. You're claiming that understanding their implementation wouldn't help you rewrite queries when you lack the knowledge required to assess that judgement call. It's funny to see you twist it into your own frame though.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

how!! posted:

I was not criticizing because you have never implemented a mutex; you basically said you have no idea what a mutex *is*. Someone who has no idea what a mutex is likely doesn't know what to look for in terms of multithreading problems, and therefore might not even know that they need to google to find out what a mutex is or how to use it.

Maybe after they spend hours or days hunting down heisenbugs caused by race conditions.

Rello
Jan 19, 2010

how!! posted:

I don't reply to negativity.

Aren't you seriously hampering your ability to learn anything?

dingy dimples
Aug 16, 2004
Yeah sorry for lowering the signal/noise ratio, everyone.

Cicero posted:

My current team in the Kindle org at Amazon has 9 devs, and I recently found out we have five new openings to fill next year, and I'm guessing teams attached to any org that's doing well are in a similar position.

Do you have any tips for getting noticed at Amazon? I applied for a really weird and vague posting just to test the waters: http://www.amazon.com/gp/jobs/ref=j_sq_btn?jobSearchKeywords=166769&category=*&location=*&x=13&y=7 That was 10 days ago and it's been silence since. (It probably didn't help that I accidentally sent off my resume without a cover letter.)

I described my experience/education here...
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3376083&userid=61415#post406054223

...and I've got my eye on this posting: http://www.amazon.com/gp/jobs/ref=j_sq_btn?jobSearchKeywords=199658&category=*&location=*&x=26&y=12

I think I've got the basic qualifications, and one or two of the preferred qualifications. I've also had some on-the-job experience with fuzzy ARTMAPs and I've done some academic projects with naive Bayesian classifiers and the ID3 tree algorithm. It's not much, but it's better than nothing. Is there anything else I should note in my letter?

unsanitary
Dec 14, 2007

don't sweat the technique
It sounds like first-job salaries for outgoing CS grads varies greatly by region you're living in. Does anyone have an idea what an average salary range for midwestern cities like Minneapolis/Chicago/St. Louis/Milwaukee for a CS grad without much experience?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

unsanitary posted:

It sounds like first-job salaries for outgoing CS grads varies greatly by region you're living in. Does anyone have an idea what an average salary range for midwestern cities like Minneapolis/Chicago/St. Louis/Milwaukee for a CS grad without much experience?

I'd say even within those cities you name there's probably a lot of wobble due to cost of living.

At least here in St. Louis, it's my impression that $50-$60K probably wouldn't be out of the question for a fresh grad with minimal experience. I also know experienced folks who are probably doing closer to $90-$100K.

That said, it's really cheap to live in STL and I think that's reflected in the salaries here. $600-$700 in rent could get you a 2-bedroom apartment (to put into perspective, I own a townhouse with a yard and garage, and my tenant pays $850 for it). You wouldn't need a roommate, and even at $50K/year that'd still leave you with nearly $2K/month left over.

THE PLATFORM MASTER
Jun 3, 2008

About to graduate with a BS, Google offered 100k for Mountain View (not including stock or bonuses). 45k in NYC is :psyduck:

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

THE PLATFORM MASTER posted:

About to graduate with a BS, Google offered 100k for Mountain View (not including stock or bonuses). 45k in NYC is :psyduck:

Mountain View prices aren't that different from New York prices in most cases. However, having lived in both places 45k in NYC seems impossible to me (although I've had teacher friends who have done it).

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone have experience with doing coding exercises/tests as part of an interview process over a screen-sharing program like GoToMeeting? The times I've written code for an interview have either been writing on a sheet of paper with the interviewer in the room, or writing the code on my own time and sending it over email, so I'm not really sure what to expect.

General recommendations on what to study in the mean time would be much appreciated. They said I could do it in C# since it's the language I'm most experienced with, so I'm fairly confident. Only thing I'm concerned about is that they'll want me to write something specific I've forgotten since school, and I'm not sure how much googling stuff would bother them.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Jmcrofts posted:

Does anyone have experience with doing coding exercises/tests as part of an interview process over a screen-sharing program like GoToMeeting? The times I've written code for an interview have either been writing on a sheet of paper with the interviewer in the room, or writing the code on my own time and sending it over email, so I'm not really sure what to expect.

General recommendations on what to study in the mean time would be much appreciated. They said I could do it in C# since it's the language I'm most experienced with, so I'm fairly confident. Only thing I'm concerned about is that they'll want me to write something specific I've forgotten since school, and I'm not sure how much googling stuff would bother them.

The coding exercises given mid-interview are usually very simple, just to prove that you've actually written software before and haven't done well on the interview by rote memorization. FizzBuzz, detecting palendromes, string reversal, etc. They're not going to sit you down and say "okay, write a heapsort from memory. GO!"

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ithaqua posted:

The coding exercises given mid-interview are usually very simple, just to prove that you've actually written software before and haven't done well on the interview by rote memorization. FizzBuzz, detecting palendromes, string reversal, etc. They're not going to sit you down and say "okay, write a heapsort from memory. GO!"

I figured as much, stuff like string reversal/strlen/etc I could write in a coma. I guess I'm just being a worrywart! Thanks!

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Jmcrofts posted:

I figured as much, stuff like string reversal/strlen/etc I could write in a coma. I guess I'm just being a worrywart! Thanks!

Here's my advice: Don't overcomplicate things. I usually ask for a string reversal, with the instruction that correctness and time-to-completion are the success criteria, and that we'll discuss the end result and do some refactoring afterwards.

Doing it the quick and easy way is fine. Doing it with LINQ is fine. One guy spent 30 minutes writing an in-place string reversal algorithm. At least, he thought it was. You can't really do in-place string reversal in C#.

We asked him why he did that, he said that he wanted to make the problem more challenging.

It was a correct implementation, but it gave us an important insight into his thought process: He'll probably spend way too long on simple tasks, and produce unnecessarily complicated code. Based on that (and some other personality issues), we opted to pass on him.

New Yorp New Yorp fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Dec 16, 2012

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Sorry, why do you say you can't do in-place string reversal in C#? What's wrong with something like:

code:
static void Reverse(char[] str)
{
    char temp;
    for (int i = 0; i < str.Length / 2; i++)
    {
        temp = str[i];
        str[i] = str[str.Length - i - 1];
        str[str.Length - i - 1] = temp;
    }
}
E: Other than the fact that a char array and a string aren't the same thing in C# and I'm dumb :downs:

Thanks again for your advice, I'm still a mega newbie and I need it!

Jmcrofts fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Dec 16, 2012

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Jmcrofts posted:

Sorry, why do you say you can't do in-place string reversal in C#? What's wrong with something like:

code:
static void Reverse(char[] str)
{
    char temp;
    for (int i = 0; i < str.Length / 2; i++)
    {
        temp = str[i];
        str[i] = str[str.Length - i - 1];
        str[str.Length - i - 1] = temp;
    }
}
E: Other than the fact that a char array and a string aren't the same thing in C# and I'm dumb :downs:

Thanks again for your advice, I'm still a mega newbie and I need it!

Correct, strings and character arrays are different. Strings are interned in the string pool and are immutable. If you do something like this:
code:
string s = "foo";
s[0] = 'b';
it won't even compile. You can read characters by index from a string, but not write to them.

You can do horrible, horrible things to an interned string via reflection, but then you'll end up in a situation like this:
code:
string test = "hello";
string reversedTest = HorribleScaryReverseMethod(test);
Console.WriteLine(reversedTest); // Prints "olleh"
Console.WriteLine("hello"); // Also prints "olleh", oh god you broke it
If you want to do a mock interview, drop me a PM and we can set something up. I like getting people starting their careers pointed in the right direction for purely selfish reasons: I might have to work on your code someday.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
I'm a soon-to-be grad looking through job listings, and seeing a lot of positions for 'Business Analyst', however I'm struggling to work out what a Business Analyst is, and how it differs from a programmer/developer/software engineer. The best I can surmise is that it's concerned mainly with the early stages of the SDLC (ie: requirements gathering), rather than the implementation stage, but the job descriptions seem to be very vague. Any advice would be appreciated.

If in Australia, if that helps.

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

At my last job, business analysts did no programming at all, and none of them knew how. They were responsible for understanding everything about the people who used our software and what they needed. They would work with developers, telling them what features should be implemented and how.

Imazul
Sep 3, 2006

This was actually a lot more bearable than most of you made it out to be.

Tony A. Butt posted:

I'm a soon-to-be grad looking through job listings, and seeing a lot of positions for 'Business Analyst', however I'm struggling to work out what a Business Analyst is, and how it differs from a programmer/developer/software engineer. The best I can surmise is that it's concerned mainly with the early stages of the SDLC (ie: requirements gathering), rather than the implementation stage, but the job descriptions seem to be very vague. Any advice would be appreciated.

If in Australia, if that helps.

Where I work, the Business Analyst job is to do the gab between the Business Process for the clients and the actual implementation of the software. From this we derive the requirements but yeah there is no programming involved although you need to understand the concepts and the capabilities pretty drat well.

Sutureself
Sep 23, 2007

Well, here's my answer...
Reading this thread has really helped me learn a lot, thanks! Picked up the interviewing book, and I did some reading on sorting algorithms. I did programming in high school (graduated '01, ugh I'm old) but then went to engineering and had a trainwreck of a career. But I did a lot of programming, so now I'm getting into web development and it's cool hearing from professionals what the interviewers look for and also where to spend some of my study/practice time. It also showed me just how below market value this internship is that I'm starting (but it's just for 3 months so I'll deal).

I wasn't able to read the entire thread, but has there been much talk about getting into small companies and startups? My work history has all been at huge companies (AT&T, Scripps, Mayo) and I hated it! Thanks for the thread!

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Just finished up my programming exercise for the job I'm currently applying to. It went great, I passed first try!

It was about as easy as you would expect. They give me CreditCard and User classes, and I have to write a function that returns the number of expired credit cards the user currently has. Like 3 lines total. Thanks for you help and encouragement Ithaqua!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Jmcrofts posted:

Just finished up my programming exercise for the job I'm currently applying to. It went great, I passed first try!

It was about as easy as you would expect. They give me CreditCard and User classes, and I have to write a function that returns the number of expired credit cards the user currently has. Like 3 lines total. Thanks for you help and encouragement Ithaqua!

Good to hear!

Did you use LINQ? :v: