Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Tarezax posted:

No, it's not new to P4G. I think it will fill in your weapons first, going in order of recruitment at the beginning of the dungeon. Then it starts giving you armor. It will only give you the weapons for whoever you currently have in your party IIRC.

I got the MC's sword and then a Godly Robe for the two consecutive times I've beaten him, so I don't think that's quite it.

It's better to try to hunt the Reaper out in NG+ anyway. At that point, you'll have better Personas at your disposal, you can change the difficulty at will, and the equipment's more useful for the bonus boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

I am on the verge of buying a Vita just to play this game. I just need something else to push me over the edge. Like, anything. Are there any good games at all on the horizon for the Vita? Do PSP and PS1 games look ok on it? Argh, I want to play this so much.
The Sonic racing game is very good if you like kart racers.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

How do the different versions of VLR compare (3DS vs Vita)? 999 was so intrinsically tied to the DS I'm kind of wondering if it would be a bad choice to grab the Vita version of VLR...but on the other hand, I love digital games and the Vita's screen is just so gorgeous....

e: Holy crap wrong thread.

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Dec 15, 2012

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ryoshi posted:

How do the different versions of VLR compare (3DS vs Vita)? 999 was so intrinsically tied to the DS I'm kind of wondering if it would be a bad choice to grab the Vita version of VLR...but on the other hand, I love digital games and the Vita's screen is just so gorgeous....

Get the Vita if you want better graphics, get the 3DS version is you want to be able to reliably control the puzzles. Although I've heard the 3DS has a bigger bug than the Vita one, but I regret not getting the 3DS one because that has a stylus and doesn't make my screen smudgy when I try to do stuff.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I've heard the 3DS version has some crippling bugs (like, erasing your save if you save in a certain room.)

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

I am on the verge of buying a Vita just to play this game. I just need something else to push me over the edge. Like, anything. Are there any good games at all on the horizon for the Vita? Do PSP and PS1 games look ok on it? Argh, I want to play this so much.

The Vita screen is the same aspect ratio as the PSP.PSP games look great on the thing and you can use the right analog stick for different stuff, in MGS Peacewalker I set it to camera so it was basically like playing with 2 sticks. A bunch of PSP games are cheap now too, and there were a lot of great games I just never got around to before.

PS1 games were made better with a recent patch, they look good. I played through all of FF9 on the Vita and I'll be playing through FF8 eventually, thinking of picking up front mission 3 and Chrono Cross as well.

As for Vita games: The good exclusives are free if you get PS+ right now, but I've been having a great time playing The ports :v:

Disgaea 3, MGS 2 and 3, the various fighting games and now Persona 4 are all games I played before but the Vita versions either change enough or just having them portable was enough for me. I was on a LOT of flights this summer.

Persona 4 Golden is amazing though. They really added a lot more than I thought they would and it helps that the game was already my favorite JRPG.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

So what's the best method for encountering the Reaper? It's the last thing I want to do before fighting the final boss.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Nessa posted:

So what's the best method for encountering the Reaper? It's the last thing I want to do before fighting the final boss.

Just keep note of how many chests you've opened. When you reach 19, go to a new floor with a bunch of chests. It isn't a guarantee that you will find him, but there's about a 50% chance. If you don't find him, start over.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Nessa posted:

The Reaper has a chance of appearing in a normal chest after you open 21 chests. The method I see most recommended is:

1. Go into any dungeon and open up 20 chests.
2. Exit and then save.
3. Go to the fifth floor of Yukiko's Castle. Only two chests spawn there, so once you open one, the Reaper should be in the other. If not, reload.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
I love it when you get a sweep bonus made up entirely of Priestess cards. It's just so stupid but in a beautiful way.

I also have a question about the Emperor card. Does it level up your Persona and also apply the EXP from the battle to it, or does it just bring you to the minimum EXP value for the next level?

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Strange Quark posted:

The Reaper has a chance of appearing in a normal chest after you open 21 chests. The method I see most recommended is:

1. Go into any dungeon and open up 20 chests.
2. Exit and then save.
3. Go to the fifth floor of Yukiko's Castle. Only two chests spawn there, so once you open one, the Reaper should be in the other. If not, reload.

So do I have to open 20 chests on a single floor, or is multiple floors okay? I tried going in and out of the first floor of Yukiko's castle, but I didn't hear any chains rattling after the 21st chest. Does the number reset if there are any encounters?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Nessa posted:

So do I have to open 20 chests on a single floor, or is multiple floors okay? I tried going in and out of the first floor of Yukiko's castle, but I didn't hear any chains rattling after the 21st chest. Does the number reset if there are any encounters?

You can move up and down floors as you please. The number of chests should only reset if you exit the dungeon or move to another floor AFTER hearing the chains. Fighting shadows doesn't affect it at all.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Strange Quark posted:

You can move up and down floors as you please. The number of chests should only reset if you exit the dungeon or move to another floor AFTER hearing the chains. Fighting shadows doesn't affect it at all.

Okay, good to know. I won't exit the dungeon next time. Thanks!

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is it just me or is Agneyastra underwhelming? It misses so very often and in Rise's dungeon enemies begin to often resist, reflect, or drain physical. What other skills in that "tier" are useful? Maybe I should mutate the skill again...

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Just fused Black Frost for the boss of the 10th floor of Void Quest. Am I in the kool kids klub now?

:EDIT:

Holy gently caress this guy is a pain I think i'm severely under leveled or under equipped.

JackDarko fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Dec 16, 2012

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I kept a spreadsheet to know my chances of finding the reaper in a chest. After 13 kills I ended up with a 43.4% chance. The most reloads I needed to get him to show up on Yukiko 5 was 9.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
February spoilers:

Marie's dungeon is absolutely atrocious, just like Marie herself. Jesus Christ.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I managed to find the Reaper once, but had a hard time getting him to show up again. He was pretty easy, so I'd like to fight him 7 more times to get all the weapons and armor, not because I need it, but just because I can.:)

kirbysuperstar posted:

February spoilers:

Really? I didn't have much trouble with her dungeon. Sure, it was gimmicky, but I wouldn't really call it atrocious. The scene that follows the completion of her dungeon.... now that's atrocious.

Nessa fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Dec 16, 2012

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Any 30s-ish persona that know/learn Megido? I need it for a fusion. :\

Also, is there any dungeons that I need to wait until the last day possible to do? Like if I finish it, it time skips? I remember hearing something along those lines, but I don't know which one it is.

CaptainPoopsock
May 2, 2005

My dear cherry blossoms.. bloom in full splendor!

Capsaicin posted:

Also, is there any dungeons that I need to wait until the last day possible to do? Like if I finish it, it time skips? I remember hearing something along those lines, but I don't know which one it is.

Taotie is level 35 and knows Megido innately.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Capsaicin posted:

Taotie (Tower arcana) is fusable at level 35 and comes with Megido.

Only the December dungeon. You'll want to finish it by the 22nd if you want a Christmas Eve event or 24th if you don't care. After finishing the dungeon, it skips to the Christmas events, so you would lose out on those extra days for S. Links.

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Dec 16, 2012

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

kirbysuperstar posted:

February spoilers:

I wanted to initially slap her in the face for having to deal with that poo poo, but it wasn't as bad after adapting to it. I ended up liking Marie more than I originally did coming into her dungeon.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Apparently the new dungeon was made by the people that made Strange Journey.

Just throwing that out there.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Dr Pepper posted:

Just throwing that out there.

Well, that would explain the gimmick. It's still a really cool dungeon, though. Even with the bizarre gimmick.

FEdit: It really did a lot to make me appreciate Marie, too. I liked her before the dungeon, but she was pretty much my favorite new addition by the end of it. The scene after the dungeon is pretty much inexcusable.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I saw a post earlier in this thread which I forgot to quote that seemed to imply you can use skill cards on party members. Does that crop up later or what? I can only apply them to the MC's personas.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Soothing Vapors posted:

I saw a post earlier in this thread which I forgot to quote that seemed to imply you can use skill cards on party members. Does that crop up later or what? I can only apply them to the MC's personas.

You can never use skill cards on your party's personae. Whoever implied that was mistaken.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Nothing like catching three Sea Guardians in a row :cool:

Though I don't think there's much of a point since it doesn't seem like you can trade fish for items anymore.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

King of Solomon posted:

You can never use skill cards on your party's personae. Whoever implied that was mistaken.
I probably just misinterpreted his post. Thanks!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Dr Pepper posted:

WOAH I just had a PTSD flashback of Delphinus.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Nate RFB posted:

Though I don't think there's much of a point since it doesn't seem like you can trade fish for items anymore.

You trade fish for gems (with the lady at the shrine at night) for items at the Shiroku Pub. Yeah, it's dumb.

And you need fish on hand for a few quests, too. They all involve feeding cats, with one new to Golden. :v:

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Nate RFB posted:

Feed them to the cat, you'll make his day.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

King of Solomon posted:

The scene after the dungeon is pretty much inexcusable.

It wouldn't be Japan without it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

DarkHamsterlord posted:

Feed them to the cat, you'll make his day.
Oh yeah of course there are still those quests, but in vanilla P4 you could trade for some decent equipment too, such as the sword that gives +50% EXP.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Guys what level should I be at for the Void Quest boss? Either i'm really unlucky with him hitting my characters weaknesses or seriously underleveled.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

JackDarko posted:

Guys what level should I be at for the Void Quest boss? Either i'm really unlucky with him hitting my characters weaknesses or seriously underleveled.
Late 30s/Early 40s?

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Aw yeah, who just caught six Guardians in one fishing trip? This guy. :smug:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Nate RFB posted:

Oh yeah of course there are still those quests, but in vanilla P4 you could trade for some decent equipment too, such as the sword that gives +50% EXP.

The Musashi Shinai is still available, man. And there's one of those kinds of weapon for everyone in your party! You just need stones that you can only get through trading fish for (along with eight of the ones dropped by the golden hands).

And plus there are a few new quests where Daidara will take your fish and literally make weapons out of them. You could have Kanji whacking shadows with the Guardian if you wanted, especially since it's a pretty decent weapon.

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Dec 16, 2012

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Larsson posted:

It wouldn't be Japan without it.

I know, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. :smith:

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I still like Marie a lot, after beating the game. I liked New Dungeon well enough, but I was also level 99 for the last few months of the game, so I think my opinion is worthless. The dungeon does give plenty of ways to beef up your characters though, which was nice for strategy and boss preparation. Sticking Yosuke with a repel or drain electric suit, or Yukiko with ice, can make a huge difference.

But yeah, the post dungeon scene... yeahhh, that's Japan, alright. :negative:

The GIG posted:

Yeah, don't think for a second you're getting off that easy. You bring that accessory with you and Margaret is just going to drop a 9999 damage Megidolaon on her first turn. Just get the armor and weapons.

:argh: I knew it was too good to be true! Right after I posted that, I thought to myself, "wait, she's probably going to be just like Elizabeth and cast Megidolaon for Everyone right as I start the battle." No advantages! You win again this round, Atlus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

JackDarko posted:

Are you high enough level to fuse Black Frost? You're fine if you are

• Locked thread