Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'd say Gundam's chances are lower given that he's a really intense and overpowering character and they never last due to being the ones that burn out the audience the most easily. I mean seriously, as funny as Gundam is, I can imagine getting sick of him if he sticks around too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Sex_Ferguson posted:

I'd say Gundam's chances are lower given that he's a really intense and overpowering character and they never last due to being the ones that burn out the audience the most easily. I mean seriously, as funny as Gundam is, I can imagine getting sick of him if he sticks around too long.

Overpowering like Syo? Able to burn out the audience like Hakagure? Intense and wacky like Yamada? I wouldn't get too meta on picks given the track record. Let's all remember that people were drawing up "Guaranteed to survive" lists with Maizono and Leon on them.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

That "Junk Food for a Dashing Youth" music is wonderful. "Talking to animals... that’s... crazy... right? Then again... he raises hamsters inside his muffler." I died.

Can somebody who's into Japanese media explain what Gundam's bandaged left arm, the weird metallic cuff, and the bell (?) on his forearm might be a reference to? My non-anime guess would be that Gundam is a falconer (the bell would go on the jesses) but is not very good at it (the bandages).

Oren and Fedule, your appearances to explain things are one of my favorite things about this LP. I also really appreciate the interleaved translation segments; they're like the cognac after the meal.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Waffleman_ posted:

Pretty sure it's referring to the suspicions that his name is a reference to the anime series.

This is correct.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
So all of the SHSL skills that we've seen so far seem to be perfectly geared towards survival in an unknown environment- having someone who can interact with potentially dangerous wild animals would be incredibly useful, even if he's an insane narcissist. A guy who can repair almost anything is obviously helpful, and even having good luck (assuming we can take that as actually being not-Naegi's SHSL skill) is going to dramatically raise your chances of survival. Based on this, I'm guessing that every one of the remaining SHSL skills are things that would be useful in this situation. It seems like the group of people may have been more deliberately chosen than DR1's random group of people.

Also, I'm kinda hoping we see a Metal Gear reference at some point, considering we have a ninja hamster named Gray Fox.

MrCinos
Dec 20, 2011

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Can somebody who's into Japanese media explain what Gundam's bandaged left arm, the weird metallic cuff, and the bell (?) on his forearm might be a reference to? My non-anime guess would be that Gundam is a falconer (the bell would go on the jesses) but is not very good at it (the bandages).
I think it's just a general reference to the demonic sort of power sealed in his imagination arm. I doubt you can pinpoint to any character exactly since it's certainly not a rare attribute in anime character design. As for metalluc cuff and the bell I'd consider it to be just and additional detail to make his "sealed" arm look more dangerous. Though if it is a reference for somethink, I'd like to know it as well.

Another Chuunibyou in this anime season had the similar one while being in Dark Flame Master mode:

MrCinos fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Dec 16, 2012

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Overpowering like Syo? Able to burn out the audience like Hakagure? Intense and wacky like Yamada? I wouldn't get too meta on picks given the track record. Let's all remember that people were drawing up "Guaranteed to survive" lists with Maizono and Leon on them.

Syo makes sporadic appearances that are very limited, Hagakure is actually rather docile even if he does make dumb comments (How you got burned out on him, I have no idea), and Yamada is exactly proof of what I'm talking about because it's characters like him, Ishimaru, and Leon that did not stick around for massive plot revelations and development.

Gundam is one of those character I can imagine being killed in some of the first chapters because he's basically a character straight out of a mech anime.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I'm not ready to declare Gundam my favorite character yet of all time yet, but I'm pleased his specialty is so radically different from his appearance. Makes me hopeful Ibuki and Nekomaru will be equally surprising. Perhaps we'll see an emphasis on more practical SHSL specialties in this game? A lot of the characters in the previous title struck me as awfully odd choices to be singled out for surviving the apocalypse. If we're to assume there are survivors of the first game participating--and the game certainly wants us to assume that--it would be a hilarious 'gently caress You' for them to find out they were the leftovers of the 'real' plan.

"What, you thought we went to all that trouble so the world to comes would have a ready supply of entitled assholes, fortune tellers, and detectives? Nah, we just felt bad you were being left out."

BearJazz
Oct 28, 2007

I love being the goddamn BATMAN.
It's kinda hard to say who is going to be killed off first. The original DR played with the viewer's expectations A LOT. For now I'll just say that I like Kazuichi's attitude, even if his design is a little silly, and I'll just hope he doesn't get brutally murdered out of nowhere.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
I'm not quite sure how I feel about Gundam. He seems almost quirky for the sake of being quirky. I'll have to wait and see what the game does with him. Mechanic was pretty cool, though.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Gundam is Sugita? Oh my god. I don't think anyone can top him now that I've heard that. I am also very glad he used some variation of "ore wa gundam" to introduce himself, I'd have been so disappointed if he didn't. :allears:

Gotta say though, the that whole side scrolling to move around thing is a little wacky to see. If this was any other game I'd think it set in stone there will be a chase sequence at some point, but given what it is... Probably not, haha.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I'm really scratching my head as to why they made the animal lover into a ninja wannabe.

Then again, why not.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Isn't that a thing with a lot of ninjas?

I'd bet that the Mechanic would be one of the first people to go, just because his skill is one of the most practical here.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Interesting. If I recall correctly, one of the developer interviews that was translated in the first game's thread mentioned that there were a few ideas for SHSL talents that didn't make it into the first game. One of those was "animal trainer", and it looks like they worked that into this game.

And the SHSL Animal Trainer looks like he's about as loopy as Hagakure, and about as intense as Ishimaru. And he talks like a cartoon supervillain. A winning combination. :haw:

The SHSL Mechanic looks like a pretty chill dude, too. His talent looks like it would be pretty useful in finding a way off the island, since he seemed confident that he'd be able to get the planes flying if they had any engines. That would seem to improve his chances of survival, but then again, we said the same thing about Chihiro from the last game...

Wyvernil fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Dec 16, 2012

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.

orenronen posted:

AAAAHAHAhahaha!!
I think I'm in love :syoon:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

BliShem
Dec 21, 2008

Tax Refund posted:

What? WHAT? :psyduck:

I have to say, I was not expecting Minsc to show up on this island. I was expecting... I don't know what I was expecting. But this was NOT on that list.

Fedule, translation integrity be damned, please name one of the hamsters Boo! A miniature giant space hamster trumps any god of destruction.

Nagito posted:

That’s rather a pessimistic attitude, isn’t it? Don’t you think you should have more... hope... than that?
A hopeful outlook is an indispensable part of the human condition!
So wait, what you're saying is...

Naegi posted:

YOU MUST NOT LOSE HOPE!
..Oh

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?
Why is it that only psychopaths are born on December 14 in Japanese media? Is there some association with that day that just makes people born December 14 crazy?

Eh screw it, I'll just throw my lot in with them as a crazy born on December 14.

Sandata
Mar 19, 2010
Finally cached up and we see a shark mechanic and a ninja animal trainer. Seems normal so far right?

So many questions already and its only like what 20 minutes into the game? These peaceful rules are gonna be destroyed sooner or later. The question is when and how will this occur?

This sequel reminds me of the problem with anime. Everyone looks the same. The only reason people look different is because of a few major changes. That being hair/ears/teeth/markings/eyes/color and objects. Make them all bald and see what happens. Compare that with DR1 and we get the theory of that character came back. Which in the long run I think is a very good and evil thing.

I don't care if they did it on purpose or if even anyone here is a DR1 character. It works extremely well in a maddening way. It makes people think about it and want it to happen. Until the game points it out as true or false I'm gonna have to toss out my theory of DR1 out the window and start fresh.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

...So the engine block is crushing his leg and/or crotch. That seems like it'd really make him the worst mechanic!

Madz
May 3, 2012
I love how Dangan Rompa is keeping the tradition of "twists" that aren't really predictable but at the same time not too far fetched that makes you scoff it off as too absurd, well, at least in my opinion.

This whole "island of niceness and happiness" thing was not what I expected off the bat in a sequel, but, it seems perfectly reasonable so that they can twist it in various ways and do their thing with the story.

Also, the whole similarity stuff (Fatogami, Naegi with Kirigiri's hair, the chick that looks like Sakura, etc) across both games really reminds me off the stuff Kojima keeps pulling with the MGS series, but probably with deeper consequences than just really confusing philosophy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

slowbeef posted:

...So the engine block is crushing his leg and/or crotch. That seems like it'd really make him the worst mechanic!

You're misunderstanding. He is so dedicated to his work that he will sacrifice even his leg or his crotch when it is completely unnecessary to do so!

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

I might just be seeing things, but I like how in his official art, Souda's hair vaguely looks like a pair of shark fins. Goes pretty well with his shark teeth.

CandyCrazy fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Dec 16, 2012

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

BliShem posted:

Fedule, translation integrity be damned, please name one of the hamsters Boo! A miniature giant space hamster trumps any god of destruction.

That's great, except the hamsters already have names (theme names!), and I'm pretty sure my awesome editorial powers only go so far.

Ghost Kitten
Sep 3, 2011

orenronen posted:

Talking to animals... that’s... crazy... right? Then again... he raises hamsters inside his muffler.

Maybe... No. I will not dignify this thought with further consideration.

Maybe what? What are they trying to imply with this line? :psyduck:

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Ghost Kitten posted:

Maybe what? What are they trying to imply with this line? :psyduck:

I read it like Hinata's saying "He talks to animals? That's ridiculous! ...Then again, he raised hamsters in his muffler... is it possible he really can talk to animals? No, that's ridiculous, what am I thinking!"

Omniphile
Apr 5, 2010

Love? Justice? Pah! I'll crush them all!
The fact that he looks like he's been in a tragic shark/highlighter factory accident aside, Souda seems to be a pretty chill guy. Plus with his talent he's already much more useful and observant than the likes of Hagakure.

Gundam seems to have a cross between ninja and cowboy going on with his outfit.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Dammit, I lay off the internet for Saints Row for a while and it's already 30 pages into the DR2 thread.

Frionnel posted:

And look at this guy! Think of how many ways he can use those hamsters to assist in his murders.

You need to think bigger. He doesn't only have access to his four hamsters, he has access to the entire loving tropical forest. Hell, he also has access to the marine beasts, and the skies!

That's right, it's Super Dangan Ronpa 2: Gundam Tanaka Kills Everyone, Escapes on a Killer Whale and Destroys the World.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
I think everyone has already said everything that needs to be told about Gundam, let me just add........wow.

About Souda....he really reminds me of Leon in a away, he was a pretty cool dude too before the whole.....murder thing, so he probably will last longer this time, I hope, he seems to be a nice dude....like Leon did ugh.
His skill also reminds me of Chihiro in a away, because in the first game her skill was also one of the most useful but then she died on a chapter where a broken computer was found. So if there is a chapter where a broken machine is found he better be careful when that happens.

Conro101
Jan 6, 2012

Dr. Conro James Norock, Robot Sarcasm Master
It feels like Gundam's hiding something to me. The guy this crazy in DR1, Ishimaru, was crazy about order, which fit with his SHSL skill. I don't know if animal breeding makes you insane, but I would think he'd be talking more about animals than dark gods and ruling the world. I say keep an eye on this one.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
I'm thinking Souda will die first. His talent is really useful, and as such would be most ideal when people want to escape. Killing the mechanic creates such sweet despair! Upupupupupu~!

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Conro101 posted:

It feels like Gundam's hiding something to me. The guy this crazy in DR1, Ishimaru, was crazy about order, which fit with his SHSL skill. I don't know if animal breeding makes you insane, but I would think he'd be talking more about animals than dark gods and ruling the world. I say keep an eye on this one.

Sometimes people have hobbies or talents that don't perfectly line up with what their personalities would suggest. Shocking from an anime game, I know.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Animal breeder huh? I could've sworn someone in this game was a SHSL Ninja and that it was him.

Judging from the character art I'm hoping he's got more than hamsters up his sleeve (read: muffler). Maybe he'll domesticate some of the island's local fauna? I'm also wondering if that gray eye of his is non-functioning somehow, I mean he has that huge scar going right over it and it is a different color. Most likely just a design choice and not anything story-related, like his bandaged arm.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

slowbeef posted:

Maybe his leg and crotch are mechanized? That'd be a good reason to become a SHSL-mechanic

(not a serious suggestion, you can see his foot sticking out, bleh)

Also, I really hope that we get to see Gundam producing some of these other animals later on. Maybe he'll collect them on the island?

That chicken is ready to gently caress somebody up

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Gundam is completely batshit, but I think we're all* overlooking a use for his skills: He can just tame some dolphins/whales, and give everyone a ride off the island! Or at least he would, but they'd presumably be on too low a level for him to bother with compared to his Four Dark Gods of Destruction.

*Okay, one other person happened to think of this as I was typing. But my point still stands.

To be more serious, I don't think he'd be too overbearing as long as he doesn't speak often. He didn't seem keen on piping up until we went out of our way to talk to him, so maybe he'll just be silent until the other characters try to get his thoughts on something.

As for Souda:

quote:

Hates: Sugar-free
I'm going to assume his like/dislike is just there to make his name a terrible pun. :allears:

Clockwork Cupcake
Oct 31, 2010

I really want to see Gundam be completely worthless and crazy for about three chapters and then end up taming a rabid tiger or something. :allears: So far he has to be my favorite, though that'll probably change.

I'm glad they didn't go with some sort of country bumpkin theme for the animal breeder, he's really over the top but it's more interesting this way.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
So, is that naming scheme, where it's a word with one capitalized letter at the end, just a Hamster Thing in Japan? Because this is the second time I've seen it in relation to hamsters.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Conro101 posted:

I really hope that the hamsters being bred by a super high school level breeder comes into play, and that they're super-intelligent or something. Only amazing things could come from that.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
But which one is Sun-D and which one is Maga-G? Does one of 'em have a little bow or eyelashes on that I'm missing?

This is definitely my favorite new talent (admittedly going off a sample size of two). I hope it comes into play later on - there's gotta be some cool animals on that island. Maybe he'll end up catching a parrot that heard some dying testimony or shooing a sun bear out of the kitchen or making a raft out of sea turtles!

Maybe it's on account of the Steins;Gate LP going on, but I am definitely getting some Okabe Rintarou vibes out of him. He's approximately 60% off in his own little world. Then again, there's that stereotype about people who have trouble getting along with other humans for whatever reason getting along better with animals, so maybe he's just Anime Temple Grandin.

Souda seems like a chill and mellow fellow. I was definitely expecting him to be a little more kooky and or violent, but so far he seems downright normal. I mean, aside from being less freaked out about the whole trapped on an island thing, but it'd get old if everyone was having nervous breakdowns all over the place.

Conro101
Jan 6, 2012

Dr. Conro James Norock, Robot Sarcasm Master

Brother Entropy posted:

Sometimes people have hobbies or talents that don't perfectly line up with what their personalities would suggest. Shocking from an anime game, I know.
I would hope you would have a talent relating somewhat to taking over the world when you make claims such as that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Conro101 posted:

I would hope you would have a talent relating somewhat to taking over the world when you make claims such as that.
You ever feen attacked by an angry rodent? Obviously not. :colbert:

• Locked thread