Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
You should use those Soul of a (Lost Undead, etc) items every time you want to level up or otherwise spend your souls. Just don't use the boss souls(they'll have the boss's name) or the firekeeper souls like that. The first blacksmith has two shields good enough to carry you through the game, although they aren't the best out there. There is a guy you can sell your items to, but by the time you get to them even the most expensive items will only get you a pittance. You can get a storage box from the merchant in the Undead Burg or from the blacksmith, or you can drop the items, or you can hang onto them because only items equipped on your body matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
You can't sell them so just throw them away and don't worry about the souls since they're not that rare aside from boss ones which you should hold on to. I suggest using them when you're at a bonfire for a quick level if you have enough for one.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
So after god knows how long I finished inFamous 2. It had been so long between playthroughs that when I started it up again I'd forgotten both the controls and the plot. Ended up completely finishing it in about 2 days or so.

I love that both Rocksteady games and Sucker Punch eschewed the whole 'we have to have a trilogy' thing for both Batman and inFamous. They tell their story in two games and pack everything they have in to them. It was pretty good coming to the end and knowing it wasn't going to end on a huge cliffhanger or anything. I just wish some of the abilities came a little bit earlier. There's no way I'm playing through it again to get the trophy's, let alone on hard so it's on to the stack of ps+ games I go.

Also, I've started Yakuza 4 but I have a feeling I'm going to need the christmas break to really delve into that one.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

You should use those Soul of a (Lost Undead, etc) items every time you want to level up or otherwise spend your souls. Just don't use the boss souls(they'll have the boss's name) or the firekeeper souls like that. The first blacksmith has two shields good enough to carry you through the game, although they aren't the best out there. There is a guy you can sell your items to, but by the time you get to them even the most expensive items will only get you a pittance. You can get a storage box from the merchant in the Undead Burg or from the blacksmith, or you can drop the items, or you can hang onto them because only items equipped on your body matter.
If you want to do a bit of grinding early on to, say, be able to effectively use the drake sword, do it in the loop near the first bonfire in Undeadburg. All of the swordsmen and spearmen in there have a chance of dropping the Hollow Shield (the shield they use), which ends up being one of the best shields in the entire game.

It's also a convenient spot to fill up on throwing daggers, grenades, and a few other things that the merchant in that area sells.

Also, get a spear. Nothing says loving like never having to drop your guard whilst poking things to death with a stick. It's another thing they never tell you - you can block while attacking with piercing weapons. Even rapiers count for that, though their range is terrible.

EDIT: VV Black Knight shield will do you fine too, the Hollow Shield just happens to be awesome. If you're already that far, don't bother backtracking - and grenades will never, ever, be something you particularly need. They're vaguely entertaining to stun enemies and knock them out of attacks sometimes, but beyond that, usually not worth the hassle. (black grenades or whatever are cool and do actual damage, but undead dude doesn't sell them)

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Dec 16, 2012

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Hm, I might backtrack back to the merchant then if grenades become very important. I think I picked up a spear out of a chest at one point early on. I'm just a little after that now where I got the Black Knight's shield at the top of a spiral staircase, went all Hakuna Matata on Pumba's rear end, then beat some dude with a massive shield.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Question Mark Mound posted:

Hm, I might backtrack back to the merchant then if grenades become very important. I think I picked up a spear out of a chest at one point early on. I'm just a little after that now where I got the Black Knight's shield at the top of a spiral staircase, went all Hakuna Matata on Pumba's rear end, then beat some dude with a massive shield.

FYI that Black Knight Shield is better than the ones I was suggesting, if you can use it. The way you tell is to go to equip it and hit (Square? it's X on the 360 controller) to bring up the stat screen. The most important stat on shields is called "Stability". What it does is reduce the amount of stamina damage you take from an attack, so you need fewer points of stamina to endure an attack without having your guard broken.

You don't need firebombs. They're handy sometimes but you don't need them. Right now priority one for you is getting the bonfire in the Parish. You're very close to it, as well as the blacksmith.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

DrVenkman posted:

Also, I've started Yakuza 4 but I have a feeling I'm going to need the christmas break to really delve into that one.

Yeah, pretty much. It's not so much that though, as you're going to start playing, and then realize it's three days later and you haven't slept, or blinked, the entire time. :v:

It was very hard for me to put down in the evenings. So much lost sleep.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Yakuza 4 is awesome, you'll definitely want to devote a lot of time to it. It's not really something you'll be happy to put down after a ten minute session.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

FYI that Black Knight Shield is better than the ones I was suggesting, if you can use it. The way you tell is to go to equip it and hit (Square? it's X on the 360 controller) to bring up the stat screen. The most important stat on shields is called "Stability". What it does is reduce the amount of stamina damage you take from an attack, so you need fewer points of stamina to endure an attack without having your guard broken.

You don't need firebombs. They're handy sometimes but you don't need them. Right now priority one for you is getting the bonfire in the Parish. You're very close to it, as well as the blacksmith.
Oh that's good then. He utterly destroyed me so badly the first time I was pissed off enough to have to beat him as a matter of pride. I didn't check the stats, but I remember not being able to equip the Drake Sword properly (a little warning popped up, and every attack had me stumbling all over the show) until I got my Strength level up to 16 or something, and I didn't get any such warning for that shield, so I assumed it was okay.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Oh that's good then. He utterly destroyed me so badly the first time I was pissed off enough to have to beat him as a matter of pride. I didn't check the stats, but I remember not being able to equip the Drake Sword properly (a little warning popped up, and every attack had me stumbling all over the show) until I got my Strength level up to 16 or something, and I didn't get any such warning for that shield, so I assumed it was okay.
The stability thing won't prevent you from using the shield, it's just the stat that shows you how "good" a shield is at absorbing hits without draining your stamina. (and because it isn't obvious, a lot of people miss it - but a high stability is the key to being able to shield any hit in the game, if you so choose)

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Yeah I think my phrasing was poor. I didn't mean that's how you can tell if you can use it(your stat requirements are on the same page, if you don't meet one it appears in red), the stability is how you tell if it's one of the best shields :)

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Ahhh okay, I was just checking to see if the physical defense stat was higher, since I haven't gone across any magic users yet.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Yakuza 4 is awesome, you'll definitely want to devote a lot of time to it. It's not really something you'll be happy to put down after a ten minute session.

Listen to this guy. Whether it's being caught up in the plot or on a UFO machine [god drat you UFO machines] it's hard to put the game down.

Persona Threechat: Is there any way to remedy being tired short of exiting Tartarus and sleeping? I want to keep beating rear end but noooo, blue haired protagonist is tiiiired. t:mad:

I feel like the more I go, the longer I'm able to stay though, but maybe that's all in my head.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Code Jockey posted:

Listen to this guy. Whether it's being caught up in the plot or on a UFO machine [god drat you UFO machines] it's hard to put the game down.

Persona Threechat: Is there any way to remedy being tired short of exiting Tartarus and sleeping? I want to keep beating rear end but noooo, blue haired protagonist is tiiiired. t:mad:

I feel like the more I go, the longer I'm able to stay though, but maybe that's all in my head.

On the night of the newmoon (Or fullmoon, whichever is the plot point) you will never get tired. I believe during the last week of the game you won't get tired either

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Vadun posted:

On the night of the newmoon (Or fullmoon, whichever is the plot point) you will never get tired. I believe during the last week of the game you won't get tired either

Oh awesome, that's good to know. Thanks!

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

DrVenkman posted:

I love that both Rocksteady games and Sucker Punch eschewed the whole 'we have to have a trilogy' thing for both Batman and inFamous. They tell their story in two games and pack everything they have in to them.

But we need a third Batman game. What about Scarecrow, Rocksteady? You can't throw that at us and then go silent forever. :mad:

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Didn't they already announce a "silver age" sequel to Arkham City? I have no idea how that would work but the last two games were amazing so I'm down.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

EC posted:

Didn't they already announce a "silver age" sequel to Arkham City?

They sort of did and I hope they don't do this. I can't imagine myself enjoying it as much as the other two.

Plus, they'll probably make the Joker the main villain AGAIN and it's really not necessary by now. There are other villains in Batman that can take the center stage, Rocksteady. Use them. :mad:

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I don't know man, two super serious Batman games in a row are enough. Going a little goofy might be a nice change.

Although games rarely get that kind of thing right...

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

EC posted:

I don't know man, two super serious Batman games in a row are enough. Going a little goofy might be a nice change.

If we got a random door chase set to funky music in video game form, I'm pretty sure I could forgive whatever other sins the game committed. Hell, it could be a repeating side quest.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

EC posted:

But they left too may loose ends. Scarecrow, Azrael, Hush...

I'd be totally okay with it if we could have flashbacks to the Silver Age. That'd be fun.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be honest if they did a Brave and the Bold game in the style of Arkham City but cheerful and with crazy loving gadgets I would buy two copies.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

ImpAtom posted:

To be honest if they did a Brave and the Bold game in the style of Arkham City but cheerful and with crazy loving gadgets I would buy two copies.

Sneak the Music Meister in there and I'm sold.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

EC posted:

I'd play the hell out of an Adam West based Batman game. Complete with POW! SPLAT! KAPOW! in the fights and shark repellant batspray.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

ImpAtom posted:

I thought the one on the Wii was pretty decent.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
There's already a Brave and the Bold game, plus Lego Batman 2.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

I thought the one on the Wii was pretty decent.

It was pretty fun, just not in the style of Arkham City.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
edit: beaten to hell

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Spalec posted:

I'd play the hell out of an Adam West based Batman game. Complete with POW! SPLAT! KAPOW! in the fights and shark repellant batspray.

Exactly! Same combat system, same upgrade mechanics, but totally goofy stuff.

I'm reasonably sure it will "just" be a sequel with flashbacks, though.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Is the Back to the Future game any good? After the Walking Dead, I'm interested in checking out the other Telltale Games and if Back to the Future retains any of the comedy of the films themselves, and they're not too outrageous with the adventure-like puzzles, then it seems decent for $20 bucks.

I just never hear anyone talk about it. Is it just forgettable?

Edit: Jurassic Park games any good?

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Dec 17, 2012

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Back to the Future is great. The story drags a little bit in the middle chapters, and I have a few problems with it narratively, but its a terrific homage to the movies. And the guy they have playing Marty is totally spot on. Its up there with Sam and Max as Telltale's best work imo.

I think it got largely overlooked at the time because people were getting burnt out on Telltale games. It is the last game they made before they reevaluated their style in Jurassic Park/TWD, if that means anything.

Jurassic Park on the other hand, is garbage.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Ineffiable posted:

Is the Back to the Future game any good? After the Walking Dead, I'm interested in checking out the other Telltale Games and if Back to the Future retains any of the comedy of the films themselves, and they're not too outrageous with the adventure-like puzzles, then it seems decent for $20 bucks.

I just never hear anyone talk about it. Is it just forgettable?

Edit: Jurassic Park games any good?

Like the walking dead, the "game" aspect isn't anything amazing but as a continuation of the films they're great. The story feels pretty authentic and some of the voice acting is great, especially Marty who puts in a fantastic performance. I think the first episode is free on PSN, check it out. If you liked walking dead and BTTF you can't really go wrong.

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007

Vadun posted:

I believe they removed this in FES, and by extension Portable, so you may want to take this advice with a grain of salt.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Code Jockey posted:

Yeah a couple of months in you will basically get bored before your characters get tired. It's not a big deal because you can go dungeon crawling every day if you want.

In persona 4 they replace "Tired" with SP just being really hard to regenerate, you either have to pay a lot of money or come back the next day and dungeon crawling actually takes up a day.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Yeah a couple of months in you will basically get bored before your characters get tired. It's not a big deal because you can go dungeon crawling every day if you want.

In persona 4 they replace "Tired" with SP just being really hard to regenerate, you either have to pay a lot of money or come back the next day and dungeon crawling actually takes up a day.

Cool, good to know. I'm drat near at that point now, I'm only at floor 27 or so, but already I'm going a lot longer. Well, until I get loving one-shot by those wizard assholes with the lanterns. :argh:

Also, who just figured out that for grinding's sake, he can just teleport back to the ground level and automatically recover health and SP? Me. This guy. It took me this long to figure this out. :argh: Needless to say I'm not wasting SP regenerating items anymore.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

So Fart Cry 3 is definitely going to be one of the 12 deals of christmas things? I kinda wanna pick it up but I'm not sure if I'd be willing to pay full price for it. That said, I'm guessing the sale would bring the price down to something that's still more than what I'd have to pay for a physical copy and coupled with dwindling HDD space it's very 50/50 whether or not I'd download it in the first place. The general consensus is that it'd be worth it, I gather?

E: That's right, Fart Cry 3. I'm leaving that one in.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
The EU store had teaser images covered in wrapping paper. #12 had the same silhouette as the guy on the cover of Far Cry 3. The teasers are not in the store anymore, but I doubt they'll change the lineup.

#10 will be Unfinished Swan on Wednesday
#11 will be Hitman: Absolution on Friday
#12 will be Far Cry 3 on Sunday

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Nice. Definitely getting the Unfinished Swan.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Stare-Out posted:

E: That's right, Fart Cry 3. I'm leaving that one in.

Thank god the PC version has no mod support afaik.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

God dammit, Snobby Tengu. I'm tired of catching the 5:30 train to chase your dumb rear end around the graveyard. I don't want to kiss you, I want to kill you.
:arghfist::mad:

e: I've now kissed 21 times in my whole life and learned how to bathe. I don't need these forums anymore. So long, assholes!

You should buy Chulips

bort fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Dec 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

I seriously can't believe they canceled brave and the bold because, and I quote, Batman is supposed to be dark.

Stupid loving executives. :ughh:

• Locked thread