Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.

Random Stranger posted:

The lone exception for their pricing, BTW, was Yoshi's Island which they wanted an absurd $25 for. I can buy a copy from Japan for 60 cents plus shipping (which if you do it right doesn't wind up being that much).

This isn't absurd at all for a game store. That is less than the US copy would cost for the exact same game, and if they advertise it correctly should sell within a few days. From a business standpoint there's no reason to lower the price unless it doesn't sell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

The lone exception for their pricing, BTW, was Yoshi's Island which they wanted an absurd $25 for. I can buy a copy from Japan for 60 cents plus shipping (which if you do it right doesn't wind up being that much).

Yea, that's what I did a while back. Ended up picking up Yoshis Island for $6 shipped from japan. Since you're not really playing the game for story, it's totally fine that it's in japanese.

No only that, the cart sticker looks 10x better than the north american Yoshis Island.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I got a visit from Wario Clause the other day.

Thankfully Wario Clause is a good guy. My box didn't smell like garlic or farts.

I have to ask, are you a psychic Quidnose? All of these games have some kind of special significance to me.

Mr. Bones was the only Saturn game that made me want to own a Saturn. Yeah, more so than Panzer Dragoon or NiGHTS. It was always on my to-get list and now I can scratch it off. Thanks!

Christmas NiGHTS, Um Jammer Lammy, and Heart of Darkness are cursed. I'm serious, I've owned these games at least two or three times but something awful happens to them each time. My last copy of Lammy somehow got a crack in the inner ring, my last copy of HoD froze at the last cutscene on the first disc, and Christmas NiGHTS (American version in the paper sleeve) was lost when I moved. I always keep my games in their case or on the shelf but somehow these ones in particular have faced the most accidents. I hope the curse is now broken.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

fatpat268 posted:

Yea, that's what I did a while back. Ended up picking up Yoshis Island for $6 shipped from japan. Since you're not really playing the game for story, it's totally fine that it's in japanese.

No only that, the cart sticker looks 10x better than the north american Yoshis Island.

Even though I can think of many examples of this being true, in this case I think both are equally cool in their own ways.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Goddamn, man. :smith:

Heart of Darkness is one of those games I always wanted to try out. Wonder how much ebay is asking for it - Only 17 bucks. I'm surprised.

Probably the retro bubble hasn't hit the PSX games yet. I guess?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

HoD is great and disturbing. Whoever approved the E rating must have seen the opening cinema and nothing else.

e: HoD isn't actually rare despite what eBay hawkers insist on telling you. It sold over a million copies and was very successful even though the company folded afterward.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Erluk posted:

Also, this happened:

I played through Earthbound on my modded Xbox years ago, and attempted to get the Sword of Kings to drop. So I throttled through, auto-battling everything and managed to get Ness to 99 still without a drop. That took a really, really long time even with the speedup, and I just gave up because Ness was 99 so the rest of the game would be mindlessly simple :cry:

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Since Midge was talking about it, I should mention that I did already get my package from my santa, in case I did not mention that already.

I've been waiting on opening it, though with all the pics people have been posting, my resolve may be wavering... :smithicide:

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
When I was playing through EarthBound for the first time, somehow I accidentally deleted my save file around the Cave of the Past, and I did an unbelievably rage-fueled speedrun to get back there in all one sitting. I got Poo's Sword of Kings on my first battle with a Starman Super, though!

RadicalR posted:

Probably the retro bubble hasn't hit the PSX games yet. I guess?

Now is an ideal time to collect PSX and Genesis. GameCube was at its least expensive the last couple years but is starting to come back in value. It's also still a good time to sell your SNES rares!

Bing the Noize fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Dec 16, 2012

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I kept procrastinating on buying Eternal Darkness from Gamestop when it was $15, and now used copies are like $30 on Amazon. Ebay is a bit cheaper, except for this guy. :stare:

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

al-azad posted:

HoD is great and disturbing. Whoever approved the E rating must have seen the opening cinema and nothing else.

e: HoD isn't actually rare despite what eBay hawkers insist on telling you. It sold over a million copies and was very successful even though the company folded afterward.

my local retro store has had a copy for only 5 bucks. I always consider picking it up but never do. Next time I head there I just might have to.

SassyRobot
Jan 19, 2007

ANGRY WASHING duh-duh duh-duh duh-DUH!

Chainclaw posted:

Seven Cross Evolution is a fantastically weird spiritual successor to EVO: Search for Eden... but man is it ugly and does it play poorly.

Yeah, pretty much the only way to progress is to farm parts and spam the heck out of the best attack you can find. If you've made it out of the tidepool you'll have demonstrated enough patience to cope with the game proper.

What is it with deranged 'evolution' games on the Dreamcast? Seaman being an obvious choice but Lack of Love certainly qualifies. Being the errand bug for other species helps to charge an evolutionary stone which grants the little weirdo a linear path of upgrades. I love the way gameplay is introduced... it's easy to die without being fully aware that play has begun :3:.

YOU WERE THE EGG ALL ALONG.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

al-azad posted:

I have to ask, are you a psychic Quidnose? All of these games have some kind of special significance to me.

Wow, that's crazy! This is especially funny to me because I had no idea what your SA username was so I was kind of shooting in the dark. When you said Platformer and that you wanted to build up your PSX collection I looked up some good ones and I remembered thinking Heart of Darkness looked cool when I was 12. Mr. Bones was rec'd to me as a Saturn game everyone should own, I had Christmas NiGHTs in my collection and thought it was appropriate for the season, and Um Jammer Lammy because MUSIC!!!

But that's great that they ended up meaning something to you! I hope you enjoy them a ton. I actually was eye-ing the two PSX games cause I don't own them and they looked like they were in pretty good condition, hahaha.

Merry Non-denominational holiday, goon! :)

EDIT: Also hopefully you have a way to play imports on your Saturn. If not, I guess this is a good reason to get an Action Replay Cart! :)

Quidthulhu fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Dec 16, 2012

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Ambitious Spider posted:

my local retro store has had a copy for only 5 bucks. I always consider picking it up but never do. Next time I head there I just might have to.

This is a good deal and you should hop on it immediately.

Quidnose posted:

Wow, that's crazy! This is especially funny to me because I had no idea what your SA username was so I was kind of shooting in the dark. When you said Platformer and that you wanted to build up your PSX collection I looked up some good ones and I remembered thinking Heart of Darkness looked cool when I was 12. Mr. Bones was rec'd to me as a Saturn game everyone should own, I had Christmas NiGHTs in my collection and thought it was appropriate for the season, and Um Jammer Lammy because MUSIC!!!

But that's great that they ended up meaning something to you! I hope you enjoy them a ton. I actually was eye-ing the two PSX games cause I don't own them and they looked like they were in pretty good condition, hahaha.

Merry Non-denominational holiday, goon! :)

EDIT: Also hopefully you have a way to play imports on your Saturn. If not, I guess this is a good reason to get an Action Replay Cart! :)

Yes, I've got a mod-chipped action replay system. It's neat Japan got a case and everything for their Christmas NiGHTS. We got a paper case in a magazine.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

AwwJeah posted:

I accept your opinion of my gift.

Honestly, of all the game I got my giftee, EGG was the one I was most personally interested in. I had to resist the urge to give it a spin in my Dreamcast.

I'm watching a let's play on it right now and it's gorgeous looking. Too bad the disc I sent out was the only copy my game store had in stock in this state.

EGG is an extremely underrated RPG, which makes sense since it's essentially a reimagining of Crystalis, itself is an extremely underrated RPG. Add in some Sakura Taisen and Xenogears elements, and you have the makings of an extremely solid game.

All that aside, how loving good does this game look?

It's probably the best looking 2D RPG ever made.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

zenintrude posted:

EGG is an extremely underrated RPG, which makes sense since it's essentially a reimagining of Crystalis
Wait what?? SOLD

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Cicero posted:

Wait what?? SOLD

Yeah for real, I had no idea. I now need this game.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Cicero posted:

Wait what?? SOLD

It's basically a pastiche of Crystalis, Sakura Taisen, and Xenogears... if you like classic (2D) action-RPGs, you owe it to yourself to grab it; it is the swan song of the genre.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

zenintrude posted:

EGG is an extremely underrated RPG, which makes sense since it's essentially a reimagining of Crystalis, itself is an extremely underrated RPG. Add in some Sakura Taisen and Xenogears elements, and you have the makings of an extremely solid game.

All that aside, how loving good does this game look?

It's probably the best looking 2D RPG ever made.

huh. Kind of reminds me of the Wizards and warrior knight.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Ambitious Spider posted:

huh. Kind of reminds me of the Wizards and warrior knight.

Kind of... except huge:

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

EGG is such a fantastic game. It looks so good, it plays great, the world is really cool. The music works well. Even the boss fight gimmick of switching to 3D models and environments adds to the experience. I guess the only downside is your mech suit looks like it's holding in a turd when it walks around.

I even managed to find a youtube video of gameplay without some dude talking over it, which is tough for old games nowadays https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Li_Q-iiM-zM

The name of the developer is "Birthday" and I can't really find any history on them, what games they made before or after, and that's a difficult word to get any meaningful results on Google.

I think it was an easy game to miss in the Dreamcast era, I think it was released at a budget price to no fanfare.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Tyson Tomko posted:

Even though I can think of many examples of this being true, in this case I think both are equally cool in their own ways.

The design of the NA version is alright, but it's a bit bland and typical. The SFC version has a nice contrast of colors that I haven't seen on any other game.

ACID POLICE posted:

Now is an ideal time to collect PSX and Genesis. GameCube was at its least expensive the last couple years but is starting to come back in value. It's also still a good time to sell your SNES rares!

Tell me about it. I've to pick up some of the main well reviewed and popular GC games, and they all go for more than I'm willing to spend.

I did get lucky and managed to pick up Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Luigis Mansion, and Super Mario Sunshine for $50, but typical ebay prices put stuff like Mario Kart at $30 or more.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Chainclaw posted:

The name of the developer is "Birthday" and I can't really find any history on them, what games they made before or after, and that's a difficult word to get any meaningful results on Google.

Here's a bit of a start: http://www.gamefaqs.com/features/company/10640.html

Looks like they were a small RPG developer for about a decade or so.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

ACID POLICE posted:

When I was playing through EarthBound for the first time, somehow I accidentally deleted my save file around the Cave of the Past, and I did an unbelievably rage-fueled speedrun to get back there in all one sitting. I got Poo's Sword of Kings on my first battle with a Starman Super, though!

Geez, I thought the Gamecube was the weakest of the three compared to the Xbox and PS2. I really though it's overall library was far less in quality and quantity than the N64. What games tend to be expensive for it?

StellarX
Aug 22, 2005

Mission Complete.
You are the greatest player.
Any decent game for the gamecube I've wanted to buy seems to be over $30 with the exception of the Metroid Prime games.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

WendigoJohnson posted:

Geez, I thought the Gamecube was the weakest of the three compared to the Xbox and PS2. I really though it's overall library was far less in quality and quantity than the N64. What games tend to be expensive for it?

Anything made by Nintendo. It's a good indicator.

Some of the rpgs are high priced too like Tales of Symphonia or Baitan Kaitos

It probably helps that you can play any Gamecube game in component on a Wii that has BC.

The xbox 360 has backwards compatibility with like 75% games but the emulation (it has backwards compatibility emulation)one is shoddy and you can't get PS2 games on the PS3 except for what they sell on PSN or if you have one of the very limited and early PS3s. You can play a lot of PSX games on the PS3 and there's a lot on the PSN, not too much PSX stuff is actually rare, save the limited edition of rpgs.

Actually, if we see the wii-u start having gamecube games on it's VC, it should hurt prices enough.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

WendigoJohnson posted:

Just look up asking prices for Phantasy Star Online Episode 1&2 Plus.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

zenintrude posted:

Yes I'm aware of that one, that was why I initialy thought that the other versions of PSO had no way of offline multiplayer.

Also I just looked at Playstation game prices, they don't seem to be that low compared to Playstation 2. Then again the only Playstation games I'm interested in are RPGs or fighting games.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Dec 16, 2012

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

WendigoJohnson posted:

I'd argue that the XBox had the "weakest" library since their exclusives weren't that great (other than Metal Wolf Chaos, of course). It is, however, my choice for any multiplatform releases from the early 2000's.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Random Stranger posted:

I'd argue that the XBox had the "weakest" library since their exclusives weren't that great (other than Metal Wolf Chaos, of course). It is, however, my choice for any multiplatform releases from the early 2000's.

I dunno the Original Xbox had a load of Sega games that were released on it that were easily on par in numbers to Nintendo's good GC releases. But yeah it was my choice for multiplatform games as well.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

zenintrude posted:

I can't believe how much the prices on that went up. I bought a sealed copy of that five years ago for $30.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Come on, secret santa present, get here already!

I love the torture that is mashing F5 on a shipment tracking site waiting for something. :D

e. Since the PS2's been brought up I think it's fair game to discuss Persona 3 here. I'd played it a little bit here and there before, but finally started seriously playing it when I bought it off the PSN. Oh my god, this game. This game is amazing. Entirely deserving of every ounce of hype it gets. I'm not too far in yet [floor 25] but... man, this is awesome. It's eating into my sleep time a lot.

Code Jockey fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Dec 17, 2012

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

nthing the EGG-Crystalis connection meaning must obtain now. Unfortunately, I don't have a Dreamcast!

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Allen Wren posted:

nthing the EGG-Crystalis connection meaning must obtain now. Unfortunately, I don't have a Dreamcast!

Dreamcasts are cheap, or they should be if you shop around.

And here's a (relatively) cheap copy of EGG: http://www.ebay.com/itm/EGG-Elemental-Gimmick-Gear-Sega-Dreamcast-1999-COMPLETE-/170960440130?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item27ce094b42

[edit] Wow, one of you is fast.

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Dec 17, 2012

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
Anyone seen anything cheap for converting s video input into component or hdmi? I made the mistake of assuming my receiver would have at least one s video port. :smith:

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
I finally had a chance to pick up my SARGSS package from my apartment's leasing office. Let's see what's inside!

Thanks, HKR!

:stare: I . . . had no idea they made My Little Pony wrapping paper.

Let's see here. Blazing Lazers, which is supposed to be a pretty good shooter. Cool. That should be fun. And a mystery N64 game! And . . . Duck Hunt. And an Eye Toy? OK, I guess that might be considered retro to some people. Let's open it up and take a look at it.

Oooh. The Legendary Axe! That's supposed to be a really good platformer.

Thanks so much, HKR! You're awesome!

Oh, right. I should check out that mysterious N64 cart and see what it . . .

Well, I guess I have something to prank people with now.

This is probably the best secret Santa thing I've ever participated in. Hopefully my SARGSSee ends up feeling the same way. :ohdear:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
The awesomeness of Blazing Lazers counteracts the... the... well, whatever you'd call Superman 64.

There's a lot of things you could call Superman 64, really...

[and I love giving it to someone with a blank label, that's just evil]

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

WendigoJohnson posted:

(i keep writing posts and going to another tab and forget i was writing it so this is probably old news by now)

drat, seriously? My roommate was missing the cables for his Xbox and we wanted another controller, so I bid put a $9 bid on a perfectly working Xbox, in the box with manuals and all hookups. Seven days later I won the auction! You don't see that happening with Gamecube anymore but it used to happen all the time a few years ago.

I think PS2 has been pretty stable in price. Nothing Gamecube is particularly more expensive than it ever was because it always had rare games, except for probably a few ones that became more popular with time, but the general value of the console has gone up.

crazkylo
Dec 20, 2008

Set the world aflame!
I finally ended up going to the pawn shop across the way. Got my hands on a Gen 1 Genesis, two controllers, along with the first Sonic the hedgehog for $35. Now I just need to start collecting games.

For laughs I sat down and played through it, Ended up beating it in about 40 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!

Allen Wren posted:

It's interesting that people are saying this because I actually thought about gifting Quidnose a copy of Crystalis but was unable to locate one. Went with Faxanadu instead.

• Locked thread