Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
So, this is my list so far. It's missing the fact that there's two Friday the 13ths in 2013, where I figure I'll watch Friday the 13th 1 and 2. Happy Birthday to You around my birthday, and Graduation Day around the day I graduate, but here it is so far:

New Year's Day Terror Train
MLK Day
Groundhog Day
Lincoln's Birthday The Transient
Mardi Gras Hatchet
St. Valentines Day Valentine
Washington's Birthday The Washingtonians?
St. Patrick's Day Leprechaun
Easter Sunday The Being (a/k/a Easter Sunday)
April Fool's Day April Fool's Day
Earth Day
Cinco de Mayo
Mother's Day Mother's Day
Memorial Day Tucker & Dale vs. Evil
Flag Day
Father's Day
Independence Day Uncle Sam
Labor Day
Columbus Day
Halloween Some Halloween-themed horror movie I haven't seen yet, TBD
Thanksgiving Day ThanksKilling
Christmas Santa's Slay

In as many cases as possible, I want to do movies themed around the holiday, like Santa's Slay or Uncle Sam than movies that merely take place on the holiday, like Hatchet, but there's only so much to work with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

For Groundhog Day you should watch Triangle or Timecrimes.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Have you considered Dawn of the Dead for Black Friday?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Father's Day = The Stepfather
MLK Day = Tales from the Hood (has an evil MLK in one of the segments)
Earth Day = Save the Green Planet, The Long Weekend/Day of the Animals
Columbus Day = Cannibal Holocaust

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Cinco de mayo = The Ruins or Cementerio del Terror

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Labor Day - Severance. It's a bit of a stretch, but these marginal holidays are going to be really hard to tie into thematically.

Earth Day - Acacia. I really just use any excuse I have to recommend this. I need to rewatch it and see if I still like it as much as I remember.
Comedy option: I Drink Your Blood (disclaimer; I haven't actually gotten around to watching this, but I've been informed that it features "satanist hippies").

Columbus Day - Apocalypto?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

ravenkult posted:

Are there any movies like ''R-Point'' and ''The Guard Post'' out there?

You mean Korean military horror movies, or military horror movies in general? If so, give Deathwatch a try. It's British, set in WWI and stars Andy Serkis and the kid from Billy Elliot. Not a great movie, and you'll see the twist coming a mile off, but it has some nice set-pieces and some very nice visuals.

Also, check Outpost. It's another Brit movie with Ray Stevenson in the lead. It has ghostly Nazis. Don't watch the sequel though, its nowhere near as good.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Columbus Day = Cannibal Holocaust

YES.

Any recommendations for good horror flicks on Amazon Prime?

e: I'd prefer some lesser known stuff. Diving into Apartment 143 now.

weekly font fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Dec 16, 2012

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
So, Livid began pretty drat good.

Until it crapped itself completely with mounting ridiculousness that just wasn't very interesting.

What a shame.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Dissapointed Owl posted:

So, Livid began pretty drat good.

Until it crapped itself completely with mounting ridiculousness that just wasn't very interesting.

What a shame.
For me, the cinematography and imagery made it all worthwhile. It's just so goddamn painterly. Plus, the mechanical ballerina is creepy as gently caress.

katium
Jun 26, 2006

Purrs like a kitten.
Re: holiday movies, what about Veteran's Day? Seems like a lot of horror movies now are bringing in the "war veteran" element/PTSD. I haven't seen Jacob's Ladder, but I'm told the war veteran/PTSD is an important theme in the movie.

As for suggestions: 2001 Maniacs would also be a good 4th of July movie. Maybe Pinata: Survival Island for Cinco de Mayo?

And yes, PSI is a terrible movie, I know, but I put it in the "so bad it's good" category, like Jack Frost and The Gingerdead Man. One of those movies that knows it's bad, but goes with the flow. Just my opinion.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

e: Nevermind I can't read.

Find out when Grandmother's Day is and watch Granny.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

You mean Korean military horror movies, or military horror movies in general? If so, give Deathwatch a try. It's British, set in WWI and stars Andy Serkis and the kid from Billy Elliot. Not a great movie, and you'll see the twist coming a mile off, but it has some nice set-pieces and some very nice visuals.

Also, check Outpost. It's another Brit movie with Ray Stevenson in the lead. It has ghostly Nazis. Don't watch the sequel though, its nowhere near as good.

Military, yeah. I've seen those 2, but thanks.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

ravenkult posted:

Military, yeah. I've seen those 2, but thanks.

A few I think are decent:

The Bunker
Deathwatch
The Keep
Dog Soldiers
Below

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Hedenius posted:

A few I think are decent:
The Keep
Dog Soldiers
Below

Certainly seconding these with particular mention for Below. Great film, great looking, and well handled. That it got dumped to video like it was something to be ashamed of is criminal.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
That Holiday movie chat needs more New Years Evil. It's terrible, holy poo poo is it terrible.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Well Apartment 143 was really bad. It was basically the arcade version of Paranormal Activity but louder really doesn't mean scarier.

I guess it's time for Beyond the Black Rainbow.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

weekly font posted:

e: Nevermind I can't read.

Find out when Grandmother's Day is and watch Granny.

Or Rabid Grannies.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Día de los Muertos: All Souls Day (2005)
Valentine's Day: My Bloody Valentine (1981 and the 2009 remake)

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

So, I know I'm WAY behind on this, but my girlfriend and I just got done watching Sinister at the local dollar theater (it was my pick for our Scary Movie Sunday). I remember seeing a few people's impression in here and most of them not liking it, but, holy gently caress, I was ridiculously tense through the whole thing. She watched most of it through her fingers. I don't know why it spooked both of us so much, but I was creeped out from beginning to end. Sorry for bringing it up since I'm sure the thread has discussed it and moved on, but I've fallen way behind on a lot of threads since starting a new job a couple months ago.

Was I the only one who liked it?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Nevermind I can't do Beyond the Black Rainbow now. It seems like a thing I need to pay attention to and I'm just looking for background while I study for finals.

However, just in the first five minutes it's reminding me of a movie from the 80s I can't put my finger on. Scanners maybe?

e: Just finished Sinister and I thought it was fantastic. I missed a lot of the discussion on the film so I'm not going to go too far into depth on my thoughts on it as it's all been said before. I just wish every movie didn't need to end with a loving monster photobombing the last shot.

weekly font fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Dec 17, 2012

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Ape Agitator posted:

Certainly seconding these with particular mention for Below. Great film, great looking, and well handled. That it got dumped to video like it was something to be ashamed of is criminal.
'Below' rules, everyone should watch it.

I don't quite dislike 'The Keep', but it's nowhere near as good as the book (and it completely changes the ending which is really, really bizarre). Like it's not a bad movie, but given the sheer level of talent backing it (Michael Mann directing, Ian MacKellan, Jurgen Prochnow, Gabriel Byrne, Scott Glenn starring, music by Tangerine Dream) it should have been way, way better than it is.
Some of the omissions from the book are really baffling, too - the movie never says the villain's name, nor do they say Scott Glenn's character's name. This is bizarre because in the book their names end up being really important to the plot.

acephalousuniverse
Nov 4, 2012

katium posted:

Re: holiday movies, what about Veteran's Day? Seems like a lot of horror movies now are bringing in the "war veteran" element/PTSD. I haven't seen Jacob's Ladder, but I'm told the war veteran/PTSD is an important theme in the movie.

HOUSE. Not the (amazing) weird Japanese one, the horror-comedy about a Vietnam vet which is also really good. Jacob's Ladder is also top notch.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

weekly font posted:

Well Apartment 143 was really bad. It was basically the arcade version of Paranormal Activity but louder really doesn't mean scarier.

I guess it's time for Beyond the Black Rainbow.

What really bugged me about Apt. 143 was how the movie spends the better part of its running length convincing us that all the paranormal activity is some sort of psychic manifestation of schizophrenia or something silly like that, and then at the end just throws a ghost at us.

Beyond the Black Rainbow is amazing (to me) but I don't really know if it's a horror movie.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Whomever recommended Hold Your Breath can eat me. That was a pile of poo poo from beginning to end.

Wax On
Mar 22, 2007

drop a bat beat

acephalousuniverse posted:

HOUSE. Not the (amazing) weird Japanese one, the horror-comedy about a Vietnam vet which is also really good. Jacob's Ladder is also top notch.

Holy poo poo, you weren't kidding.

katium
Jun 26, 2006

Purrs like a kitten.

acephalousuniverse posted:

I love House. I first saw it when I was about 7 and remember it scaring the poo poo out of me. I watched it a few months ago with my (now ex) boyfriend and laughed hysterically. That movie is a goddamn gem.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

katium posted:

I love House. I first saw it when I was about 7 and remember it scaring the poo poo out of me. I watched it a few months ago with my (now ex) boyfriend and laughed hysterically. That movie is a goddamn gem.

I watched it for the first time I think two years ago. It holds up and is a lot of fun.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

WatermelonGun posted:

What really bugged me about Apt. 143 was how the movie spends the better part of its running length convincing us that all the paranormal activity is some sort of psychic manifestation of schizophrenia or something silly like that, and then at the end just throws a ghost at us.

Beyond the Black Rainbow is amazing (to me) but I don't really know if it's a horror movie.

Haha yeah, every single loving horror movie needs to end like that these days.

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003
Actually watched House for the first time like a week or two ago with the wife and we both loved it. It's been on my radar for years, but somehow managed to avoid actually seeing it. Hell, I've never even heard anyone I know that's really into horror really mention it before.

Art Alexakis
Mar 27, 2008
I watched Land of the Dead last night. Jesus man. Romero might think his movies are smart but everything was a little too on the nose. I watched it because I'm a big fan of Johnny Legs and I thought he carried the film. That said, I'm one of his biggest fans so I don't doubt that I'm biased.

Silver Newt
Jun 8, 2007

Happiness is being famous for your financial ability to indulge in every kind of excess.
Mardi Gras Hatchet

Can anyone comment on whether these ones are any good? I'd quite like to do this as well if I can find enough films I'd actually like to see, but I haven't heard of most of these and don't know anything about any of them.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar
As mediocre as Land of the Dead is, the scene where Dennis Hopper Points, says "What's that!" and then shoots the guy in the back of the head when he turns might be one of my favorite moments ever.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Art Alexakis posted:

I watched Land of the Dead last night. Jesus man. Romero might think his movies are smart but everything was a little too on the nose. I watched it because I'm a big fan of Johnny Legs and I thought he carried the film. That said, I'm one of his biggest fans so I don't doubt that I'm biased.

This is my problem with most of Romero's work. He's not in any way subtle, which actually worked for a while. But the older he's gotten the more keen he is on hammering any point home with a sledgehammer. Plus Land of the Dead seems to make exactly the same points as Day of the Dead.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Silver Newt posted:

Mardi Gras Hatchet

Can anyone comment on whether these ones are any good? I'd quite like to do this as well if I can find enough films I'd actually like to see, but I haven't heard of most of these and don't know anything about any of them.

I haven't heard of most of them either, and in fully expecting them to be terrible, but I'm doing it anyway. You should definitely join in!

Also, since Veteran's Day is for WWI, I'll probably watch Deathwatch on that day.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

I Dont Like You posted:

Actually watched House for the first time like a week or two ago with the wife and we both loved it. It's been on my radar for years, but somehow managed to avoid actually seeing it. Hell, I've never even heard anyone I know that's really into horror really mention it before.

House is quite frankly amazing. I saw it a long time ago and all I really remembered was a Skeleton dressed for the Vietnam war and when he punches through the window into the black void. For the longest time I thought the movie was Jacobs Ladder. Then I put on House thinking I never watched it and bam, nostalgia all over again. It really holds up well in all aspects of comedy and horror.

Now to see Jacobs Ladder since apparently I've never seen it.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Silver Newt posted:

Mardi Gras Hatchet

Terror Train is fantastic, the original April Fool's Day is great too, The Being is really cheesy but fun, and while I know it's bad, Uncle Sam is essential viewing in my book. I also thought The Washingtonians was entertaining, for a lesser MoH episode. Thankskilling and Hatchet are miserable viewing experiences and should be avoided at all costs.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

XIII posted:

So, I know I'm WAY behind on this, but my girlfriend and I just got done watching Sinister at the local dollar theater (it was my pick for our Scary Movie Sunday). I remember seeing a few people's impression in here and most of them not liking it, but, holy gently caress, I was ridiculously tense through the whole thing. She watched most of it through her fingers. I don't know why it spooked both of us so much, but I was creeped out from beginning to end. Sorry for bringing it up since I'm sure the thread has discussed it and moved on, but I've fallen way behind on a lot of threads since starting a new job a couple months ago.

Was I the only one who liked it?

My wife and I felt the same way. While the scares themselves didn't deliver for me aside from a couple of memorable scenes, I thought the film did an excellent job building and maintaining tension. The found footage at the beginning is probably one of my favorite horror film openings.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Volume posted:

House is quite frankly amazing. I saw it a long time ago and all I really remembered was a Skeleton dressed for the Vietnam war and when he punches through the window into the black void. For the longest time I thought the movie was Jacobs Ladder. Then I put on House thinking I never watched it and bam, nostalgia all over again. It really holds up well in all aspects of comedy and horror.

Now to see Jacobs Ladder since apparently I've never seen it.

That's a crazy way to get reintroduced to two movies that are awesome in completely different ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Kevar posted:

As mediocre as Land of the Dead is, the scene where Dennis Hopper Points, says "What's that!" and then shoots the guy in the back of the head when he turns might be one of my favorite moments ever.

A buddy of mine watched it over the weekend and that's the first thing I brought up. It's just so slapstick-y that I can't help but laugh out loud every time.