Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008

Johnny Cage posted:

So I'm a few hours into a XIII-2 and it's pretty much what I expected: solid gameplay with horrifically bad characters/story.

So Snow spends XIII being that ~*~*~MY GIRLFRIEND~*~*~ guy, but then just peaces out for a year to find Lightning for Serah? Alone. Yeah.

Also, not being able to see the Crystarium path is really annoying.

I'm still having fun with the game though.

I've got more into it and I like it a lot. The story and characters are so, so cringeworthy, but the game itself actually feels like a 'final fantasy' a lot more than XIII proper. The more side stuff that opens up the more enjoyable it got for me, I'm near the end-game now but I'm still just doing bits and pieces and grabbing fragments because it's enjoyable. I just wish they balanced out the silliness/lighter aspects of the story more as the super serious stuff is embarrassing. I'd like to think it's taking the piss a bit but it's hard to with modern final fantasy games.

I feel like if they had XIII-2's gameplay/world building/sidequests etc with XIII's cast there might have been something really good there, no saving the story no matter how you slice it really (although one could hold out slim hope for XIII's being decent with better writing).

Collecting monsters is a lot of fun, I like using chocobos even though they're probably not the best options.

Really tired of the word paradox though.

EDIT: At that Jump Festa thing will we actually get any news about FFX HD, or has that one just gone in the scrap-heap too? I'm considering buying FFXIII-3 eventually if it turns out alright, so there's that at least.

PTizzle fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Dec 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

PTizzle posted:

Collecting monsters is a lot of fun, I like using chocobos even though they're probably not the best options.

The colored chocobos are some of the best monsters in the game. They can be a pain in the rear end to catch though.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
They also require an assload of upgrade materials and infusions to become that good IIRC, so they mostly become an endgame option compared to the easier to max out monsters who are usually more potent at comparable (lower) levels. Then again, you can complete the game with either, so use what you like.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
I'm insanely overleveled so I figure I might as well use them. I'm using Cloudburst as a RAV as the blue chocobo kinda sucks though, but the gold as a COM is great and the white as a MED is working perfect too, just infusing my old monsters into them. Purple is the only one I don't have I think, it's a SYN isn't it?

I caught a Don Tonberry first time after searching for one for a while which made me happy. I like the fact that even though I steamroll a lot of monsters there's some random encounters which are still challenging and keep you on your toes. I'm hoping the end game bosses are in a similar vein.

I played a bit of those godawful slot machines but then I actually enjoyed the chocobo racing. It's a bit limited but still fun, plus you get some cool little rewards.

Also, on monsters, (spoiling just in case) what's so good about Twilight Odin? He's level 65 and doesn't seem at all great. I figured he'd attack super fast or something but he just seems dead average. Do I have to get him to 99 for it to be worth it?

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
He doesn't get good until really high levels. Also, he's good for catching other monsters because if you get good at his feral link his sync % can be up to 999 I think.

Also, yeah the chocobos require doing a lot of infusions to make them really good. But worrying about infusions and good monster builds isn't really important until the endgame bosses and DLC stuff.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
I've had this playthrough of XIII sitting around for something like two years now because it's just so hard to play the game for more than a few hours without wanting to give up entirely. I reached Taejin's Tower and it's just so goddamn tedious. Is there a point coming up soon where I can do anything to make battles not so slow and frustrating?

I have a copy of XIII-2, but for some reason I just can't start it until I've finished the original, even if it kills me.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
How are battles in XIII slow of all things?
Taejin's Tower is one of the hardest areas if you didn't spend your time doing those hunt areas to level up. I was underleveled for it, unlike the rest of the game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

miscellaneous14 posted:

I've had this playthrough of XIII sitting around for something like two years now because it's just so hard to play the game for more than a few hours without wanting to give up entirely. I reached Taejin's Tower and it's just so goddamn tedious. Is there a point coming up soon where I can do anything to make battles not so slow and frustrating?

I have a copy of XIII-2, but for some reason I just can't start it until I've finished the original, even if it kills me.

If the battles are slow and frustrating it is because you're playing badly, even if you're underleveled. Are you using Saboteur and Enhancer? If not, start using those. Constantly. You're making sure to Paradigm Switch properly, right? You should never be sitting on a defensive formation for very long, and you should be building up to Breaks as often as possible. What team are you using? What's your default paradigm setup?

Vinchenz
Jul 13, 2012

But trust me, I know that I'm the worst bastard here.
Tri-Disaster is the best paradigm in both FFXIII and FFXIII-2. I got through most normal battles simply being in that paradigm the entire time. Get a monster quickly staggered then moved on to Com/Rav/Rav for the launch.

Saboteur and Synergist do indeed help out for the tougher battles, a lot.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Debuffs are invaluable in boss battles in both games, especially Poison.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
You don't really need SYN or SAB for most random encounters until you're near the end of the game, and even then you don't really need them. The trick is to start out as COM/RAV/RAV to slow the decline of the Stagger bar, then switch to RAV/RAV/RAV, at which point you just pummel the enemy with spells until you Stagger the enemy.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So apparently my local (mexican) game store is taking preorders for Final Fantasy Versus 13, and it's set to launch on December 31 :psyduck:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

For the briefest of moments, I though that said $1090. SE obviously thought they'd try to crack the Mexican market first to test the waters for Versus. :v:

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

ImpAtom posted:

If the battles are slow and frustrating it is because you're playing badly, even if you're underleveled. Are you using Saboteur and Enhancer? If not, start using those. Constantly. You're making sure to Paradigm Switch properly, right? You should never be sitting on a defensive formation for very long, and you should be building up to Breaks as often as possible. What team are you using? What's your default paradigm setup?

I'm using the buff/debuff paradigms all the time whenever I'm fighting one of the more tank-y enemies, and it's not like the fights are going on for several minutes or anything. It's just when I run into the more bullshit enemies like Ambling Bellows that make me hate the game.

Battles aren't so much challenging as they are just tedious, my question is less "does this stop being hard anytime soon" and more "is there any point or opportunity I have to make myself actually feel stronger than the enemies".

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

miscellaneous14 posted:

I'm using the buff/debuff paradigms all the time whenever I'm fighting one of the more tank-y enemies, and it's not like the fights are going on for several minutes or anything. It's just when I run into the more bullshit enemies like Ambling Bellows that make me hate the game.

Battles aren't so much challenging as they are just tedious, my question is less "does this stop being hard anytime soon" and more "is there any point or opportunity I have to make myself actually feel stronger than the enemies".

You should use buff/debuff constantly, not just against tanky dudes. Buffs and debuffs are super ridiculously strong. If you're feeling weak that is probably why. The influence they have is insane.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

If this were the SNES days I'd say to look forward to a slightly edited copy of FF4. As it stands I have no idea what the gently caress.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Nice cover art, SE. :smug:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I didn't play XIII, but I watched a bit of a Let's Play. They had gotten to a part where Sazh and Vanille were fighting robots in some robot graveyard or whatever towards the beginning, and it took about 3 minutes to finish each fight. It was excruciating, especially after XII where "random encounters" usually took about 5-20 seconds. Maybe that was not really representative, but I can see getting really sick of that really quickly.

Pesky Splinter posted:

For the briefest of moments, I though that said $1090. SE obviously thought they'd try to crack the Mexican market first to test the waters for Versus. :v:

Square probably just wants to quietly slip it onto the market without a lot of fuss. You'll have to tell us how it is.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain
I was going for 100% trophies for FF13, but fighting Adamantoise after Adamantortoise after Adamantoise for Platinum Ingots and Trapezehedrons does not sound like a lot of fun. I'll quit where I am and say that once again I enjoyed this game.

Up next is a replay of Final Fantasy XIII-2.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Eggie posted:

I was going for 100% trophies for FF13, but fighting Adamantoise after Adamantortoise after Adamantoise for Platinum Ingots and Trapezehedrons does not sound like a lot of fun. I'll quit where I am and say that once again I enjoyed this game.

I'm in the same boat as you. I finished first XIII playthrough since the game came out, said this time I was gonna see it all, and after 20 min of farming decided I had much better things to do with my time.

It's a huge bummer because I really enjoy the XIII battle system, and felt that despite it's glaring, oft repeated issues that XIII was really fun. The game just needed more interesting side content that had incentive other than difficulty and trophies for me I guess. This might just be total nostalgia though, because I find it very unlikely that I would go through the grind of chocobo racing in VII now like I did when I was in middle school.

Vinchenz
Jul 13, 2012

But trust me, I know that I'm the worst bastard here.
I myself just beat Final Fantasy XIII-2 for the first time, and it was the last FF I had to beat before I had them all beat.

Man, that ending went from happy to depressive almost instantly. :( This is the ending Lightning Returns will continue on, right? I know there's a bunch of different endings I can still get but the first one is the one that's canon?

I enjoyed it quite a bit. It's a nice contrast, gameplay-wise, to FFXIII. And that final boss, wow. As a whole, the game was easier than FFXIII, but I never hard quite that much trouble in any fight in FFXIII. Surely one of the toughest final battles in the entire series. Wound damage is a harsh bitch.

Anyway, guess I'mma go collect fragments now before I put it down for good.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Schwartzcough posted:

I didn't play XIII, but I watched a bit of a Let's Play. They had gotten to a part where Sazh and Vanille were fighting robots in some robot graveyard or whatever towards the beginning, and it took about 3 minutes to finish each fight. It was excruciating, especially after XII where "random encounters" usually took about 5-20 seconds. Maybe that was not really representative, but I can see getting really sick of that really quickly.

If you know the tricks to the battle system, then battles won't take that long. The problem is that the game itself never really tells you its tricks, so unless you read about how COM will keep the stagger gauge slowed even if you switch to a Paradigm without it, or that SAB both boosts and slows down stagger, or that you can speed things up by constantly switching between two of the same Paradigm, you won't have any idea unless you stumble upon any of them.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Mega64 posted:

If you know the tricks to the battle system, then battles won't take that long. The problem is that the game itself never really tells you its tricks, so unless you read about how COM will keep the stagger gauge slowed even if you switch to a Paradigm without it, or that SAB both boosts and slows down stagger, or that you can speed things up by constantly switching between two of the same Paradigm, you won't have any idea unless you stumble upon any of them.

At the same time, I really liked this about the game, because it game players incentive to experiment and try out different things. While there was pretty much one set goal in each fight (stagger!) you had a choice of tactics in order to get there. The system was fun to explore and had much more depth than at first glance (Auto-battle!)

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
Though there is poo poo like the Behemoth Kings, where the target time for the battle is literally somewhere around 20 minutes, and believe me it takes that long unless you're really lucky or way overpowered.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

miscellaneous14 posted:

Though there is poo poo like the Behemoth Kings, where the target time for the battle is literally somewhere around 20 minutes, and believe me it takes that long unless you're really lucky or way overpowered.

You do know that the Target Time isn't a set number, right? It's generated based on your stats + the enemy stats. (And always skews high despite that due to variations in how you build.) Target Time is the maximum amount of time it should take you to finish a battle, not the expected amount. The lower you get below the target time the higher your score.

The Target Time can vary between 10 hours and 12 seconds and is fairly inaccurate due to skewing high. Behemoth Kings take more time than most enemies but nowhere near 20 minutes unless you're massively underleveled or not properly breaking/buffing/debuffing/ect. Even if that was the case your Target time would still be higher.

Mega64 posted:

I don't know about the English version but the Japanese version tells you all of that in the data log.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Dec 17, 2012

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Mega64 posted:

you can speed things up by constantly switching between two of the same Paradigm

Really? How does that work?

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Dross posted:

Really? How does that work?

You get a full ATB gauge when you switch paradigms. So you can keep switching between 2 com-com-com setups during a stagger and never have to wait for the gauge to fill.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Well, poo poo. Wish I'd known that while playing the games.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

Eggie posted:

It isn't bad at all. Since Turtles are the best source for both CP and cash, if you didn't grind too much CP somewhere else, you'll finish the crystarium trophy at about the same time you have enough cash for the items trophy. Keep in mind you only need to have held every item - you can sell poo poo you already own to go towards making more weapons. Personally I enjoy turtle fights; its fun learning how to beat them at all then consistently and finally how to optimize your times, and they can still kill you even at full CP.

I found FF13's endgame farm (and pacing in general) far less tedious than pretty much any other entry in the series.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
I finally got all the fragments in XIII-2 over the weekend. Is there any reason to farm items to get Chocolina's best weapons when I already have the fully powered fragment weapons? I just have to kill all the DLC bosses at this point.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

astr0man posted:

You get a full ATB gauge when you switch paradigms. So you can keep switching between 2 com-com-com setups during a stagger and never have to wait for the gauge to fill.

Jesus christ this may be why I hated the game so much. I was loathe to switch paradigms because I thought it was emptying my ATB :psyduck:

Well, and Snow. He sucks in Theatrythm too

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

astr0man posted:

I finally got all the fragments in XIII-2 over the weekend. Is there any reason to farm items to get Chocolina's best weapons when I already have the fully powered fragment weapons? I just have to kill all the DLC bosses at this point.

Nah, the fragment weapons are way better than Chocolina's. And good luck with that DLC. See how far you get without a walkthrough. :)

Ballin Stalin
Dec 29, 2009

by Lowtax
So what's the deal with 13 Versus? How valid is that site?

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Ballin Stalin posted:

So what's the deal with 13 Versus? How valid is that site?

100% certain it's just a placeholder date.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Bitchin' cover

I love the ceiling throne.

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008

Krad posted:

100% certain it's just a placeholder date.

Seems pretty accurate, considering it's some time after the end of the world.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Pesky Splinter posted:

Bitchin' cover

I love the ceiling throne.

I didn't even question it, Ceiling Throne doesn't seem that out of place all things considered. I just assumed the throne went up like 100 feet and had a Robot Demon on top.

Seriously how is there not even a tentative date for this game? I'd even take it if they'd give us Q3 2014 or something but we've been in the dark on this for what, like 5 years?

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

astr0man posted:

Specifically, let a full ATB bar go by, then on your second turn switch paradigms after, I believe, the second action is filled -- it's somewhere around a couple seconds -- and you get an automatically-full ATB bar. Rinse, repeat. It's called "ATB Refresh."

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

I didn't even question it, Ceiling Throne doesn't seem that out of place all things considered. I just assumed the throne went up like 100 feet and had a Robot Demon on top.

Seriously how is there not even a tentative date for this game? I'd even take it if they'd give us Q3 2014 or something but we've been in the dark on this for what, like 5 years?

Six. It was first announced back at E3 in 2006.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
^^^
[e]: Beaten.

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

Six I believe. Why they haven't dropped it after such an embarrassingly long time, I don't know.

Off topic, tomorrow is Final Fantasy's 25th Anniversary.

Might as well have some music. And one of the best arrangements ever. :colbert:
The lead in to the Chaos Temple theme is rad as gently caress.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Dec 18, 2012