Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Didn't someone already mentione the historical inspirations for the names of USA's Gipsy Danger and Australia's Striker Eureka? Cherno Alpha from Russia is pretty obvious too. I like those names. They sound like futuristic military things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

3 posted:

Okay, really? :cripes:

What are you getting at? Outside HL2's striders, I think Spielberg's WotW walkers are the most prominent example of the new trend taking hold.

Unless you were patronizing me for not immediately realizing it's from the same franchise. In which case, thanks, I guess?

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
I think the particular Japanese thing that the code names are reminding me of is Metal Gear Solid.

Ramen Pride!
Jan 13, 2001
Basically this movie so far is total win. People see everything they love about their (splintered, but sincere) genre in it.

All it takes to screw it up is a second trailer with a wisecracking sidekick.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Ramen Pride! posted:

All it takes to screw it up is a second trailer with a wisecracking sidekick.

Turns out this is Ron Perlman's character all along.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

The MSJ posted:

Turns out this is Ron Perlman's character all along.
This is the only way to play a wisecracking sidekick right :colbert: He could just be Hellboy again.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Beyond sane knolls posted:

I think the particular Japanese thing that the code names are reminding me of is Metal Gear Solid.

That's exctly what it is. It was on the tip of my tongue, too.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Urdnot Fire posted:

This is the only way to play a wisecracking sidekick right :colbert: He could just be Hellboy again.

Now would it be hellboy in a giant mech as well or hellboy like in a control room wisecrackin. I approve of both honestly.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

TontoCorazon posted:

Now would it be hellboy in a giant mech as well or hellboy like in a control room wisecrackin. I approve of both honestly.
It would be Hellboy in a giant Hellboy mech as the opener, but then he'd move back to mission control after the credits sequence.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Urdnot Fire posted:

It would be Hellboy in a giant Hellboy mech as the opener, but then he'd move back to mission control after the credits sequence.

I'm sold.

Ramen Pride!
Jan 13, 2001

No, it would be Charlie Day in a Hellboy mech and... this is getting stupid.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Urdnot Fire posted:

After this, giant monsters/robots will be required in every American film.

I want this to happen. I also want large robot toys (which are not necessarily toys of large robots) to return to the western market.

Jonah Galtberg posted:

Say it with me: this movie is not an anime.

Why does this even matter?

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Dec 17, 2012

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Rinkles posted:

What are you getting at? Outside HL2's striders, I think Spielberg's WotW walkers are the most prominent example of the new trend taking hold.

Unless you were patronizing me for not immediately realizing it's from the same franchise. In which case, thanks, I guess?

I dunno, something tells me it's not a "new trend" in the slightest. You know Goliath is supposed to be a direct sequel to the book, right?

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Schwarzwald posted:

Why does this even matter?

Because this movie is literally not an anime, yet everyone can't help but say which Japanese cartoon they wish it was.

Is there any inkling to what MPAA rating del Toro is shooting for? I re-watched Blade 2 recently and forgot how unrelentingly violent it was, and would like to see some more of that on a larger, city-destroying, monster-crushing scale.

I also forgot how hard Blade 2 rules.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

WatermelonGun posted:

Because this movie is literally not an anime, yet everyone can't help but say which Japanese cartoon they wish it was.

Is there any inkling to what MPAA rating del Toro is shooting for?

This is kind of a silly question, as it's an obscenely expensive summer blockbuster in which giant robots punch non-humanoid creatures to death.

It'll be PG-13, and I'll venture to guess the MPAA listing for why will say "frightening images, action violence and language".

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

The Cameo posted:

This is kind of a silly question, as it's an obscenely expensive summer blockbuster in which giant robots punch non-humanoid creatures to death.

It'll be PG-13, and I'll venture to guess the MPAA listing for why will say "frightening images, action violence and language".

I figured, but super costly R-rated movies aren't totally out of the question these days. Prometheus made oodles of cash. I guess just wishful thinking on my part. I wanted to see one of my dumbass middle-school sketches come to life. :saddowns:

Undead Unicorn
Sep 14, 2010

by Lowtax

WatermelonGun posted:

They can't help but compare one of it's primary influences? Say it ain't so! Relevant discussion has no place in Cinema Discussion!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Undead Unicorn posted:

They can't help but compare one of it's primary influences? Say it ain't so! Relevant discussion has no place in Cinema Discussion!

Well, it's still kind of early to say anything about primary influences.

For all we know it's actually an homage to the best movie about alien monsters coming out of an underwater rift to another dimension and fighting a man-made giant robot: Godzilla vs. Megalon! :eng101:

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

WatermelonGun posted:

I figured, but super costly R-rated movies aren't totally out of the question these days. Prometheus made oodles of cash. I guess just wishful thinking on my part. I wanted to see one of my dumbass middle-school sketches come to life. :saddowns:

Well, yeah, but Prometheus was backed by the ALIEN name, which is enough of a brand that Fox eventually decided Ridley's R-rated cut wasn't going to screw the movie's appeal over too much. Dude had cut a PG-13 cut, too, in case Fox said "we're not going to take that risk".

Ridley also wanted to have twice the amount of money he got for Prometheus, but took the smaller budget to keep a sliver of a chance of not having to bend things for a rating.

Pacific Rim costs much more than Prometheus did.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

WatermelonGun posted:

Prometheus was directed by superfamous director Ridley Scott and was repeatedly mentioned to be part of the Alien franchise. I don't think Pacifc Rim has that going for them. Even then, Ridley Scott had oppositions making it into an R-rated movie because Fox was more confident with it being PG-13. (That said in my country it got a PG13 with barely any cuts anyway)

Edit: Beaten

I doubt it needs to be more than PG13 anyway, since the most graphic violence depicted will most likely be inflicted on the jaegers and kaijus. The MPAA won't care for those.

Undead Unicorn
Sep 14, 2010

by Lowtax

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Well, it's still kind of early to say anything about primary influences.

Given the art design and the premise, I'd say it isn't. It's just too early to make claims like "This is more of a giant robot anime influenced movie then Godzilla" or something.

I am getting a little annoyed at all the Evangelion comparisons myself though, because so far the only similarities between it and Eva, are early Super Robot tropes and setting details.

Undead Unicorn fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Dec 17, 2012

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

3 posted:

I dunno, something tells me it's not a "new trend" in the slightest. You know Goliath is supposed to be a direct sequel to the book, right?

I didn't realize you guys thought I didn't know WotW was a book. I listened to a great audio version when I was six or seven. All that I was saying is that there seemed to be a resurgence of the three legged motif since Spielberg's movie, without explicitly stating that, yes, it was originally part of Well's description.

As I already said, I didn't initially realize the movie was related to the war of the worlds (MSJ said it was based on a Heavy Metal comic, I didn't read the video title).

Looking back at my posts I see how you could have gotten the wrong impression of what I was trying to say, which is my fault.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Undead Unicorn posted:

I am getting a little annoyed at all the Evangelion comparisons myself though, because so far the only similarities between it and Eva, are early Super Robot tropes and setting details.

This is more what I was getting at. Other than basic premise, we don't know a whole lot about the movie, but everyone has to name their favorite giant robot cartoon and hope that Pacific Rim is just like it.

And yeah, my point about Prometheus was dumb. I JUST WANT TO BELIEVE.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
I think most of the Eva comparisons are coming from an earlier proposal for a live-action Evangelion film that, for some reason, is being conflated with Pacific Rim.

Rinkles posted:

Looking back at my posts I see how you could have gotten the wrong impression of what I was trying to say, which is my fault.

Hahaha, no worries. I have a soft spot for the fighting machines and every tripod menace that came afterward. I think the case could be made for them being the first "giant mecha" in fiction, being that they're piloted death walkers.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
I hope the movie is resolved via break-dancing.

Tell me Cherno Alpha couldn't do a sweet headspin.

Ramen Pride!
Jan 13, 2001

Rinkles posted:

I didn't realize you guys thought I didn't know WotW was a book. I listened to a great audio version when I was six or seven.

New thread title.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I see exceedingly little Getter Robo chat in this thread. Given that that was pretty much the original 'giant robots versus monsters' manga, this disappoints me.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Dec 17, 2012

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
I wonder if we'll get an "Itano Circus" style missile flurry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzXfVgYCxWI

It's something that is basically impossible to portray in live action without CGI, with the insane number of missiles, the convoluted paths and the camera weaving in and out of the action, but I find it really effective

Fatkraken fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Dec 17, 2012

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Ramen Pride! posted:

Someone post a list of the stupid names the Secret Service gives politicians or presidents.

*In any case, the names work. After showing the trailer to my kid, he wanted to see all of the blueprints, so I showed him, and he loved the code names.

Secret Service codenames are half PR these days, especially since they release the names (granted they're also a useful shorthand like "Air Force One" or "Marine One").

Because Obama's codename is "Renegade" and that's loving awesome. Like the Pacific Rim robot callsigns. :colbert:

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

I see exceedingly little Getter Robo chat in this thread. Given that that was pretty much the original 'giant robots versus monsters' manga, this disappoints me.

Yeah I dunno maybe it would be good to talk less about mangas and more about the movie and other movies? No doubt there will be callbacks and references to various animes and mangas but I'm having trouble telling whether this thread is in CD or ADTRW at the moment

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Undead Unicorn posted:

Well, I don't know anything about giant robot tropes or early Godzilla movies. What I do know is that Guillermo del Toro is pretty drat good at taking the premise of an emotionally abused child stuck in a war zone and turning it into psychological fantasy-horror.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Mercrom posted:

Well, I don't know anything about giant robot tropes or early Godzilla movies.

And here I was afraid this might have gone to archives: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3350308

Undead Unicorn
Sep 14, 2010

by Lowtax

Jonah Galtberg posted:

Yeah I dunno maybe it would be good to talk less about mangas and more about the movie and other movies? No doubt there will be callbacks and references to various animes and mangas but I'm having trouble telling whether this thread is in CD or ADTRW at the moment
The first picture he posted was from a live action film. The second was a funny one from it's source material.

It's still CD. I heavily suggest you don't go to the comic book movie thread or Aliens, because holy crap your going to get a poo poo ton more of this.

Mercrom posted:

Well, I don't know anything about giant robot tropes or early Godzilla movies. What I do know is that Guillermo del Toro is pretty drat good at taking the premise of an emotionally abused child stuck in a war zone and turning it into psychological fantasy-horror.

This literally is a stable of Super Robot/Real Robot genre. gently caress that is what Evangelion/Mobile Suit Gundam are about. hosed up kid is in middle of warzone, told to fight, get's even more mentally damaged in the process. More fantastical tropes are then presented "Hey your actually psychic!" or pretty much tons of depressing poo poo from Evangelion.

Undead Unicorn fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Dec 17, 2012

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Undead Unicorn posted:

It's still CD. I heavily suggest you don't go to the comic book movie thread or Aliens, because holy crap your going to get a poo poo ton more of this.

I know. Believe me, I know. The comic book movie thread I can sort of kind of understand since the movies are literally direct adaptations... Aliens threads are just painful. I guess I'm choosing to speak up about it in this thread because anime

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Cast interview here. It's not new, but some of the responses are interesting.

quote:

Ron Perlman: I haven’t seen the movie. I’m just listening like a fanboy to both the panel and now to this, but it seems like you can’t give away the movie. We know it’s monsters and robots. The nuance is in the nuances and the del Toro sensibility of taking the best of mankind and these monsters and trying to figure out which one is which. Because very often in his movies as I’ve come to find out, what is most monstrous is embodied in mankind, and what is most beautiful is in these things that are designated as unacceptable. Pan’s Labyrinth is the perfect example of this upside down designation. So I think we could talk about Pan’s Labyrinth till the cows come home but you’re never going to be able to describe the experience of seeing it, because it had so much to do with his personal vision and point of view about the universe."

[...]

Guillermo del Toro: "And she kicked all the guys rear end. One of the things I can say is we built the cockpit of the robots in the head. It’s almost three stories high and we mounted it on hydraulic shakers so that every time they get hit, you would really hit. I wanted to do it with the actors. I didn’t want to do it with the doubles."

Charlie Hunnam: [Laughing] "Why not? Why not? Let’s just do it with the actors because they’re better, right? And they deserve it."

Guillermo del Toro: "I had three cameras. But the first time they were in, Charlie came to visit the first group of actors, I won’t say who they were, he goes, 'Babies. Cry babies.' And then he went in. This machine, which is the interface between the robot and them, it flows with their bodies. It was a huge engineering feat. It was real. We could’ve done it CG but why? Why do that? We did it. Every guy broke. Every guy broke. The only one that never complained was Rinko."

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Jonah Galtberg posted:

I know. Believe me, I know. The comic book movie thread I can sort of kind of understand since the movies are literally direct adaptations... Aliens threads are just painful. I guess I'm choosing to speak up about it in this thread because anime

There's only so much material directly related to the movie to discuss, and at least at the moment it seems to be wearing its influences on its sleeve. If you've got another topic that might be more interesting to discuss, by all means, bring it up, but discussing the genre this appears to be a blatant homage to and how it relates to the trailer isn't off topic at all. Yeah, this is Cinema Discusso, but cinema doesn't exist in a complete vacuum and it'd be disingenuous to pretend otherwise.

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

Other than the different countries each creating there own giant robots piloted by two human minds synchronized together to battle giant monsters invading earth, there aren't many other similarities between this and Evangelion.
This movie also has GlaDoS in it.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Jonah Galtberg posted:

Well the guy did post that sweet PIP of Robot Jox. I, for one, will be very disappointed if there is no crotch weaponry in Pacific Rim.

VocalizePlayerDeath posted:

Other than the different countries each creating there own giant robots piloted by two human minds synchronized together to battle giant monsters invading earth, there aren't many other similarities between this and Evangelion.
This movie also has GlaDoS in it.

Did anyone else get weirded out by the GlaDos voice? Obviously there are many people who have never had any exposure to portal but to me it was just really weird hearing literally the same voice in a completely different context. Since the voice thing was already revealed in the trailer I hope there is at least more portal references in the actual movie itself. Maybe a shot of GlaDos in physical form or just Aperture Science logos all over.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Longinus00 posted:

I hope there is at least more portal references in the actual movie itself. Maybe a shot of GlaDos in physical form or just Aperture Science logos all over.

That would make it less weird? I can't really think of something I'd less like to see than a bunch of Portal references in this film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Longinus00 posted:

Since the voice thing was already revealed in the trailer I hope there is at least more portal references in the actual movie itself. Maybe a shot of GlaDos in physical form or just Aperture Science logos all over.

I take it all back. Go hogwild with talking about anime if it means not talking about Portal.

• Locked thread