Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Schwarzwald posted:

Wait, what toy line are we talking about? There is no Soul of Chogokin Gurren Lagann or Mazinkaiser.

Super Robot Chogokin. And yeah, Great Mazinger not Kaiser, my bad. :downs:
http://tamashii.jp/special/gurrenlagann_gunbuster/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Schwarzwald posted:

Wait, what toy line are we talking about? There is no Soul of Chogokin Gurren Lagann or Mazinkaiser.
Super Robot Chogokin.

E: hurf what new page ( tablet postin)

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Am I really going to buy Shin Mazinger just for the cool scrander for Gurren-Lagann to have?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

EthanSteele posted:

Am I really going to buy Shin Mazinger just for the cool scrander for Gurren-Lagann to have?

You should buy Shin Mazinger because Shin Mazinger rules. :colbert:

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
And if you buy the SoC version of Shin Mazinger, you can pretty much fist bump an angry god.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
Guys help I am getting mad at people thinking stuff that's incredibly common in giant robot anime is specifically referencing Evangelion in Pacific Rim.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ActionZero posted:

Guys help I am getting mad at people thinking stuff that's incredibly common in giant robot anime is specifically referencing Evangelion in Pacific Rim.

Tell them they need to watch any giant robot show other than Evangelion, I guess?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ActionZero posted:

Did you know that rocket punches are a direct reference to Evangelion? It's true.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

ImpAtom posted:

Did you know that rocket punches are a direct reference to Evangelion? It's true.

:mad:

Here I thought Tumblr's rallying cry of "GUNDAM VERSUS GODZILLA" was annoying enough.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

ActionZero posted:

If I see that loving picture of the Jeager photoshopped to look like Unit 01 one more time...

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Man if anything Pacific Rim reminds me of Dai-Guard more than it does Evangelion. I mean, unless the robots are secretly cyborgs made out of monsters.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Kwyndig posted:

Man if anything Pacific Rim reminds me of Dai-Guard more than it does Evangelion. I mean, unless the robots are secretly cyborgs made out of monsters.

That was my first thought as well, but that was more relating to the monsters themselves than the robots. From what I'm able to think of, it seems closer to a heavily stripped-down Getter Robo Go (and even then only tenuous). Either way I don't really want to attach a straight comparison to it right now, since all we've got is a trailer and base story synopsis.

Shaezerus fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Dec 17, 2012

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Mercury Crusader posted:

You should buy Shin Mazinger because Shin Mazinger rules. :colbert:

Yeah fine geez ok. It's a shame the SRC one doesn't have a fist mode though.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Get the regular Soul of Chogokin Mazinger, he's bigger and really nice :)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Other than Shin Mazinger have there been any other decent super robot shows in like the last five or six years that I've missed?

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Get the regular Soul of Chogokin Mazinger, he's bigger and really nice :)

Already have SRC Mazinger and Great and that wouldn't let me see what Gunbuster would be like with a Scrander! After seeing how gorgeous the new SoC Mazinger is I am incredibly tempted to sell some blood.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

Sakurazuka posted:

Other than Shin Mazinger have there been any other decent super robot shows in like the last five or six years that I've missed?

There have been very few shows of that nature lately.

One that comes to mind is Koutetsushin Jeeg, and even then don't expect too much. Personally I liked it, as it was equal parts goofy and serious business, or as serious as super robot shows get anyway. However if you enjoy Mazinger, Getter Robo, and the like, there's no reason not to watch this. Also, I remember being amused by a promo featuring Go Nagai asking us to please watch the show.

Another super robot show was REIDEEN, which was completely unlike what I expected. (I expected a remake of Yuusha Raiden). There's no lack of people that despise it, but I enjoyed the slice-of-life aspect and the small bits of comedy throughout. I wish there had been more of a focus on a central storyline, instead of shoving in everything at the last minute.

There have been two Super Robot Wars anime, with plenty of super robot antics, I assume you saw them.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

Daler Mehndi already mentioned Jeeg but there was also Heroman. It wasn't the greatest show ever but it was pretty entertaining with some really good action animation. Super Robot Wars OG: The Inspector was a ton of fun to watch. Mazinkaizer SKL is kind of had a split reaction but I liked it enough.

Also Idolmaster Xenoglossia is much better show than people give it credit for.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
People hate REIDEEN?

I haven't even seen anyone talk about it one way or the other.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I thought the transparent crystal robots were pretty. There really wasn't much to love or hate aside from that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Justin_Brett posted:

People hate REIDEEN?

The CG is remarkably ugly. I can't really form an opinion on it beyond that.

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Light is sown for the righteous, and gladness for the upright in heart.
Xabungle has to be the funniest robot name I've seen.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

Guyver posted:

Daler Mehndi already mentioned Jeeg but there was also Heroman. It wasn't the greatest show ever but it was pretty entertaining with some really good action animation. [...] Mazinkaizer SKL is kind of had a split reaction but I liked it enough.

How could I forget these. :psyduck:

quote:

People hate REIDEEN?

It's just the circles I move in, I suppose. It probably didn't help that it aired at about the same time as mecha shows like TTGL. In retrospect, probably the one thing I enjoyed the most was the soundtrack.

Tighran
Jun 28, 2004
Not sure anyone else here is into it, but I was pretty psyched to learn that Five Star Stories is being resumed in Newtype in Japan after a few years break as the author worked on some other project that I don't know anything about.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-12-15/five-star-stories-manga-to-resume-in-newtype-magazine

Written by Mamoru Nagano, who designed the L-Gaim, as well as the Rick Dias in Z Gundam, it's an epic manga set across the galaxy and features some of the best character and mecha designs I've ever seen (apparently he was trained as a fashion designer, and it shows).
Sadly I doubt we'll see any official localization as only some of the manga was brought to the west in the first place, as well as a movie which covered the first few volumes and I don't think was too popular. Also Toyspress, the company that localized the manga closed down and some of the later volumes are incredibly hard to find. There are 30 US volumes and MSRP is $10, but some of the last few volumes I've spent close to $100 on. There are fan translations of a fair amount of the existing manga though, so hopefully a group will take this opportunity to pick up where the others left off!

A few pics of some of the mechs (called Mortar Headds) for anyone curious...
One of my favorites, the Engage Octaver:

And one of the most popular Mortar Headds, the LED Mirage (this gives a good idea how great the artwork is too):

Is anyone else a fan of Nagano's work?

Tighran fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Dec 24, 2012

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I guess Nagano can finally resume FSS since he has a lot of freetime now what with Gothicmade finally being released after what, at least six years in development? I swear, that movie wasn't too far off from becoming the Duke Nukem Forever of anime.

I've never read the Five Star Stories manga but the anime movie sure was pretty. I'm not exactly a diehard fan or anything but I do like Nagano's designs. Even when they're attached to subpar shows (looking at you, Brain Powerd).

Srice fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Dec 24, 2012

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I had no idea this even existed. An enormous mecha space opera? I know what I'm doing for the next couple days. For a manga that is no longer available for purchase in english, it was surprisingly difficult to find it online.

Adam Strange
Oct 11, 2012

He laughs. The line goes dead.
I enjoyed the movie when I watched it a few years ago, although I do remember hearing that Nagano wasn't too pleased with how it turned out.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Adam Strange posted:

I enjoyed the movie when I watched it a few years ago, although I do remember hearing that Nagano wasn't too pleased with how it turned out.

Rumor is that that's why he did Gothicmade practically solo. The other side of it is that apparently he's a bit of a prick and no-one wanted to work with him. Truth is probably somewhere down the middle. Regardless, I do love some of Nagano's mechanical designs, like the aforementioned Octaver. Some of his rejected Gundam designs are fantastic, the Hachicca being a particular favorite of mine since I saw it:

Others though, like the lead unit in Gothicmade and many other Five Star units are far too elaborate and spindly for their own good. His character designs suffer the same problem really, far too effeminate - they look like they'd break in a stiff wind. Additionally, while I haven't seen L-Gaim and have only read the first volume of Five Star Stories before getting distracted since I didn't find it particularly intriguing, I've heard people say that the characters and stories of the two match up rather too well and that Nagano pretty much pilfered the story for Five Star Stories from that of L-Gaim because he wasn't too happy with the way L-Gaim went and wanted to seen it done his way instead.

Maybe I've let his comments about Turn-A and the invincibility of his own units compared to other creators work color my perception of the guy a bit too much for stuff I've seen no real verification of, but my impression is certainly that the guy is a dick who has done some decent designs over the years but can't see past his own ego and didn't really do anything that engaging all told to have such a snotty attitude when push comes to shove.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
The problem I have with Nagano is that his reluctance to work with others has basically stymied any efforts to release Five Star Stories in English in a timely and reasonable fashion. The ENTIRE English release has been a nightmare.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
I pretty much can't take anything about Nagano seriously thanks to those stories you see about his ego. I have no idea if they're actually true but they've basically solidified my image of him as a kid on the playground talking about how NUH UH NOTHING CAN BEAT MY GIANT ROBOT AND IT CAN'T BE IN SRW CAUSE IT CAN'T GET DAMAGED EVER! and stuff like that.

I bet Ing could beat it!

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Didn't Tomino's infamous mental breakdown happen because he found out Nagano was loving his wife, or am I getting him mixed up with someone else?

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

You're misremembering the gossip. The story was that Maria Kawamura rejected Tomino's advances after he cast her in just about everything he made in the 80s for Nagano, who she later married in 1991, and that depressed Tomino depressed Tomino enough to make Victory Gundam. It should be noted that Tomino has been married since the 70s and a father since the early 80s. Tomino also cast Maria again later in Brain Powerd when he got back on the directing horse.

It's bullshit.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Tomino is a walking E/N story :psyduck:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
This is pretty awesome. I found it by accident while looking for if there's an SRWZ version of Ten Wo Tsuke. It appears there is not. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-uDFoMRUcI

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.
Discotek's bringing back Diebuster in May.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Well then! That's a pretty big gently caress YEAH!

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
How expensive are used copies of Diebuster anyway? I got my copies a while back so I was curious if they got more expensive. Somebody on that Facebook page commented about Gunbuster being pricy at the moment.

I really can't wait for Discotek's Mazinger Z release. I am probably more pumped about this than any other American super robot fan should be. :allears:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Mercury Crusader posted:

How expensive are used copies of Diebuster anyway? I got my copies a while back so I was curious if they got more expensive. Somebody on that Facebook page commented about Gunbuster being pricy at the moment.

I really can't wait for Discotek's Mazinger Z release. I am probably more pumped about this than any other American super robot fan should be. :allears:

Gunbuster and Diebuster have both been out of print for a while. Amazon scalpers are asking over $200 for Gunbuster and $50 for Diebuster. I haven't seen a copy of either series in over 3 years, though the blu-ray movies just had another print run.

EDIT: Are these re-releases of what we had before, or is there something new?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I want to know what sort of unholy magic Discotek is harnessing, since they're releasing all sorts of stuff that sound like it has a rather limited audience yet they remain in business.

It'd be cool if they get the rights to the Diebuster blu-rays too, those look amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Srice posted:

I want to know what sort of unholy magic Discotek is harnessing, since they're releasing all sorts of stuff that sound like it has a rather limited audience yet they remain in business.

It'd be cool if they get the rights to the Diebuster blu-rays too, those look amazing.

God I hope so. I just found the Gunbuster blu ray for like $10 it'd be great to get the other series.

• Locked thread