Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Adachi was always one of my favorite characters through my first playthrough of Persona 4. Hell, still is, obviously. Giving him the "Jester" arcana is very fitting not only in how the arcana relates to the Fool, but also in how that's exactly how I would describe his character. He's like the lovable bumbling idiot.

vvv: Yes! Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

The Grimace posted:

Persona 3: Relaxation & Death
Persona 4: Mystery & Joy

That's how I'd describe the two. P1 is harder to label since the plot goes all over the place, but the story of Maki is essentially the core of what Persona is about : the multiple sides of a single person. Persona 2 would be the Power of Rumors, but the overall feeling of the game is tough to pinpoint. The two halves of the game are named well for their content, is all I can say. I really wish I could play new versions of the games with the P4 battle system...

Persona 1: Escapism & Identity

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Just unlocked the Art Gallery channel, and the narrator's comments are just making me laugh with the dead-pan delivery. But really, images from the artbook are super cool :allears:

Moriveth
Jul 24, 2004

I'm sorry, I have to take this call.
Wow, I beat (June dungeon spoilers) Shadow Teddie... Really easily. After seeing them struggle through that fight in Giant Bomb's Endurance Run, I was expecting to have a rough time. They have to have weakened him a little.

I barely even cast any spells, just healed as needed and made sure to guard when he was readying his Nihil Hand, and he was dead in probably twenty minutes.

I also managed to get through all of that dungeon on the first day I went in, which felt pretty good. Of course, finding copious amounts of money hands to pay Fox to up my SP, and being likely horrendously overleveled from that didn't hurt.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
Honestly, Persona 2 already gave you its themes right in the titles; Sin & Punishment.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
November spoilers You get more chances to Social Link with Nanako in January, right? I've got her to rank 9 and she gets thrown into the TV tomorrow.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Yes.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Late Oct Spoilers/Question:
When can you start the Naoto social link? I found a man in black that seems to imply her social link...But I cant find her hahaha. I think my date is 10/21 right now. I'm just worried because I hear you have a really limited time to max her.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Pretty much directly after the Culture Festival and no your time is not that limited, you've literally got two months to max her and there's the added days in January and February.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

That's a relief. Thank you.

ChiTownEddie posted:

Late Oct Spoilers/Question:
When can you start the Naoto social link? I found a man in black that seems to imply her social link...But I cant find her hahaha. I think my date is 10/21 right now. I'm just worried because I hear you have a really limited time to max her.

If you have max knowledge the suspicious man should have given you a card. Naoto is on the first floor of the Classroom building (not sure which days, but she's there very often), just give her the card to start the link. I think you need max courage, too.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Pretty much directly after the Culture Festival and no your time is not that limited, you've literally got two months to max her and there's the added days in January and February.

Okay thats a relief. I do have the max stats and the card from the man so hopefully it'll start soon

First time p4 player...this game is amazing.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

It's not an automatic start, you have to initiate it with that character. First floor school main hallway.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
I just realized I haven't talked to Kanji...like at all. I'm not even sure where he is after school lets out or how his social links start. I hope I haven't messed up too bad :ohdear:

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

I just realized I haven't talked to Kanji...like at all. I'm not even sure where he is after school lets out or how his social links start. I hope I haven't messed up too bad :ohdear:

Starting him is annoying, you have to talk to him then a girl on the first floor than him again.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
So what do I do if the school is closed? Am I just boned all summer?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

So what do I do if the school is closed? Am I just boned all summer?

Yep, you better get to ranking up the rest of your party members S. Links.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
Fuuuuuuuuuuck. And the Teddie social links just happen though the story, right?

I'm probably not too in trouble since Yosuke and Yukiko are at like 7 or 8 and Chie is maxed. I hope.

Now I just need to figure out how to put together a decent persona because all of mine are some hot garbage. I'm just worried I'm going to get to a point where it's the last day before the fog rolls in and I won't be able to beat the boss and that will be it for persona 4.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

The Grimace posted:

Adachi was always one of my favorite characters through my first playthrough of Persona 4. Hell, still is, obviously. Giving him the "Jester" arcana is very fitting not only in how the arcana relates to the Fool, but also in how that's exactly how I would describe his character. He's like the lovable bumbling idiot.

One interesting part is that you can only max it out as Jester in a bad ending. The Jester is the Reversed Fool. In other words, you can only gain the power of the Jester by failing the Fool's Journey.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Nondevor posted:

Just unlocked the Art Gallery channel, and the narrator's comments are just making me laugh with the dead-pan delivery. But really, images from the artbook are super cool :allears:

They are. Are they available anywhere else? Some of the concept art is really nice.

Also seeing the various iterations of characters is interesting. Princess Nanako and weird shady Dojima come to mind.

Edit: Oh cool, I found it.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1926778456

Surprisingly still in stock.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Yeah don't do what I did and just look at the pictures, they have narrated explanations behind them if you press a button.

Rise's concept art was really nice, she looked like a real person (although I guess a big part of her character is how manufactured she is) and apparently she was supposed to be a female delinquent, not an idol.

Also Kanji was supposed to be way older which makes sense. There's no way the guy picking up policeman by their shirts and threatening them was designed as a 15 year old.

They also redesigned Nanako a couple of times: She was initially a spoiled, sheltered kid before they turned her into her current incarnation and they had to take off her baseball cap because it made her look too independent :v:

It's funny seeing different hairstyles on the female characters too, long hair chie looks so wrong.

Actually check out the TV stuff if you've missed it, a friend of mine got the true ending and never looked at any of it.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Didn't they give Kanji a huge size boost in Arena? I guess we could chalk it up to him hitting a growth spurt because it's really not that fitting for his character archetype to actually be a skinny 15-year-old.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Kanji was never really small.

He was always the tallest member of the Investigation Team, and pretty much everything about him in gameplay showed him this massively powerful bruiser.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Speedball posted:

Didn't they give Kanji a huge size boost in Arena? I guess we could chalk it up to him hitting a growth spurt because it's really not that fitting for his character archetype to actually be a skinny 15-year-old.

Kanji is supposed to be 6ft tall which is tall for Japanese Adults let along 15 year olds

(Average Japanese Male height is 5'7)

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Welp, I finally did it. First avatar change after six years. What did you do to me, Persona 4?

What did you do to me? :negative:

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.
is hanging out with people for slink still worth it if they say youre not ready to advance yet? Does hanging out with them trigger a half measure so that if you hang out with them twice it'll trigger the next level?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah, it contributes points to an invisible 'exp' meter for the S. Link. Same thing that eating lunch with one of the school S. Links does.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Dr Pepper posted:

One interesting part is that you can only max it out as Jester in a bad ending. The Jester is the Reversed Fool. In other words, you can only gain the power of the Jester by failing the Fool's Journey.

You can max out Jester without getting the new Bad ending.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!

CharlestonJew posted:

I think he's saying that you max it out as Hunger, not Jester, in the True End. I'm not sure if it switches back, though- I'm on rank 9 and it's still Hunger.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

CharlestonJew posted:

No, he's saying that you can only max it as Jester in the bad ending, if you follow through with the true ending then it becomes Hunger which is the Strength equivalent in the Thoth tarot deck.

DeathBySpoon posted:

I think he's saying that you max it out as Hunger, not Jester, in the True End. I'm not sure if it switches back, though- I'm on rank 9 and it's still Hunger.

It doesn't, it stays Hunger even when you max it out.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Yeah don't do what I did and just look at the pictures, they have narrated explanations behind them if you press a button.

Rise's concept art was really nice, she looked like a real person (although I guess a big part of her character is how manufactured she is) and apparently she was supposed to be a female delinquent, not an idol.

Also Kanji was supposed to be way older which makes sense. There's no way the guy picking up policeman by their shirts and threatening them was designed as a 15 year old.

They also redesigned Nanako a couple of times: She was initially a spoiled, sheltered kid before they turned her into her current incarnation and they had to take off her baseball cap because it made her look too independent :v:

It's funny seeing different hairstyles on the female characters too, long hair chie looks so wrong.

Actually check out the TV stuff if you've missed it, a friend of mine got the true ending and never looked at any of it.

It was also funny how Naoto was originally just going to be a boy :v: I'm glad they made the decisions they did.

Rise concept looked really similar to Saki to me.

Edit: I was googling for more art and found this:

http://infonochikara.wordpress.com/2011/10/13/persona-4-the-animation-ep-1-summary/ posted:

EDIT: Looks like we have a new character, exclusive only in anime, Aika Nakamura! She’s Yu’s classmate and she works at Chinese Diner Aiya (the Beef Bowl Challenge restaurant in the game)

I guess this explains the Aiya owner constantly mentioning his daughter in Golden; it's a nod to the anime series.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Dec 18, 2012

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Sankis posted:

Rise concept looked really similar to Saki to me.

Huh I've always thought proto-Rise looked more like Ai.

I mean, Ai basically is a female delinquent.

Moriveth
Jul 24, 2004

I'm sorry, I have to take this call.

Sankis posted:

I guess this explains the Aiya owner constantly mentioning his daughter in Golden; it's a nod to the anime series.

Yeah, it's pretty amusing too.

They deliver ANYWHERE, so Chie orders from them after the Mystery Food X in the camping trip. Also while they're running from Kanji earlier on.

The anime seems pretty good from what I've watched so far. I have issues with the fact that they made the main character as creeped out by Kanji as Yosuke is, but I can't say I expected that they'd make him super-accepting.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Well, drat, the part where the (late-game social link and story SPOILERS) the Jester S-link turns into the Hunger S-link was pretty awesome. I actually FROZE when I saw a gun to Yu's head. "Holy poo poo, that didn't happen!" Though I thought that was supposed to be "lust" in the Thoth deck...same diff, really. I love how the illustration is basically a stylized Mother Harlot and her 7-headed Beast. Bitches and whores indeed.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

I love that you can take your female party members to the festival now (I think it was only Ai and Ayane/Yumi before?). And that the game actually recognizes that you're dating them if you are.

I went with Chie :3:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

U.T. Raptor posted:

I love that you can take your female party members to the festival now (I think it was only Ai and Ayane/Yumi before?). And that the game actually recognizes that you're dating them if you are.

I went with Chie :3:

I freaked out when I realized that Christmas, New Years, and Valentines are fully voiced and there have to be like 7-8 different ones

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I really like some of the sub-buttle things this game does. If you do an AOA with Rise backing you up, there's a pink skull in the smoke.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Cropped a bit of spoilery stuff out of the first picture.

No, I'm definitely the master of snowmen. Everywhere.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

McDragon posted:

Cropped a bit of spoilery stuff out of the first picture.

No, I'm definitely the master of snowmen. Everywhere.

How do you people even do this stuff? Just gold hands and Emperor cards?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Speedball posted:

Well, drat, the part where the (late-game social link and story SPOILERS) the Jester S-link turns into the Hunger S-link was pretty awesome. I actually FROZE when I saw a gun to Yu's head. "Holy poo poo, that didn't happen!" Though I thought that was supposed to be "lust" in the Thoth deck...same diff, really. I love how the illustration is basically a stylized Mother Harlot and her 7-headed Beast. Bitches and whores indeed.

I suppose it's for clarity, really. Lust really only means one thing to most readers and it's a bad-creepy thing in this context, and the word they did go with means basically the same thing with a broader connotation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Rasamune posted:

How do you people even do this stuff? Just gold hands and Emperor cards?

Used him pretty much non-stop since I fused him, tried to prioritise the stat up and level up cards, and at the end of the December dungeon he had 99 in everything. Then it was a case of hunting down the Personas with the skill cards I wanted, and boof.

It probably helped that I also decided I wanted to do all the quests as well. Going round looking for all the crap people wanted got a whole extra bunch of shuffle times.

• Locked thread