Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!

Megaman posted:

Semi silly question. I'm buying an antec case and 8 drives to make a freeNAS RAIDZ3 array. Is it smarter to use 2 5in3 ICY Dock bays to fit these, or just put them in the case without the ICY DOck bays? I know people have mentioned the backplanes won't fail, but if they do they can wipe out 5 drives with them. Do people recommend docks over no docks? I've alluded to this concern before, the bays have gotten not so great reviews on newegg

I'm using something similar in mine, but its just a 4-in-3 adapter thing with no backplane. I did it just to keep the 2 4-disk vdevs physically together, so swapping a drive after a failure is easier. I wouldn't use anything with a backplane for this situation, try to find one that's just a cage with no electronics in it. You won't have hot swap capability, but I don't think that's really worth the money in this instance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

chizad posted:

The closest equivalent Storage Spaces has to RAID5/RAIDZ1 really works more like Drobo's BeyondRAID. You can throw a bunch of different size disks at it, *magic* happens, and you get a storage pool that both offers redundancy makes the most efficient use of the disks. (It's not really magic, of course, but how it's carving things up behind the scenes is hidden from you. The BeyondRAID section in that wiki article I linked does a good job of explaining how a Drobo might handle different size disks. I'm assuming Storage Spaces works in a similar way.)

There are a few others:
- Flexraid (supports pooling, different sized drives, etc. Works out to $60)
- Snapraid (snapshot parity, 1 or 2 drive failures, command line, free)
- disParity (snapshot only, data is all kept on its own drive, windows only, free)

There are also some that support drive pooling, different drive sizes, but "mirroring" only (as in, two copies of everything you have). Windows 8 storage spaces has this (as well as keeping three copies of everything), and there is also drive bender ($17.50-$29.95), which also maintains a filesystem on each disk (so you can pull out a drive and access it in any computer, although you won't have the file structure)

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
HP has started selling the N54L, looks like the only real change is a bump in the CPU speed.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Wild EEPROM posted:

There are a few others:
- disParity (snapshot only, data is all kept on its own drive, windows only, free)

There are also some that support drive pooling, different drive sizes, but "mirroring" only (as in, two copies of everything you have). Windows 8 storage spaces has this (as well as keeping three copies of everything), and there is also drive bender ($17.50-$29.95), which also maintains a filesystem on each disk (so you can pull out a drive and access it in any computer, although you won't have the file structure)

Snapraid isn't bad (the Elucidate GUI for it needs major work though) and Flexraid is pretty good now, I did a small write up on it a page or two ago. I haven't tried disParity yet. Storage Spaces was an annoying experience, I ran into some bugs with the reporting tools and performance with parity was awful.

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

You let the wolves in. Why would you do that?
I switched to using the WD Reds when the previous hard drives I was using (Hitachi 7k3000s) doubled in price due to their reclassification as enterprise drives when WD bought hitatchi. So far they have worked great. I am currently using four of them in conjunction with 2 hitachi 7k3000s setup in RAID 6 on an Areca 1880ix-12 raid card. Performance has been great and the SAS support with the case I am using (Norco 4216) has been awesome. I love being able to support all my drives on 4 cables instead of 11 sata cables. Raid expansion has been a really nice feature although it does take about 30 hours to add in a new drive.

Currently sitting at 18TB (14TB Usable) with with 12 TB (8 usable) in RAID and 6TB in other drives. Unfortunately the 6TB in free floating drives are all 1.5TB drives as opposed to the 2TB I use in my array so I can't add them.

TheGreySpectre fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Dec 17, 2012

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Froist posted:

Hijacking this topic, what's the difference between software RAID5 and Storage Spaces (in Windows 8)? I was planning on switching my N40L over from Ubuntu/ZFS to Windows 8/Storage Spaces, but if I can stick to Win7/Raid5 I'd probably be happier with that. I've got no plans to upgrade the capacity of the pool (it's 4x2tb ==6tb with redundancy at the moment), just hadn't realized you could do software RAID in Windows. I guess the performance is better than Storage Spaces too?

The performance of software raid 5 isn't anything special, but its more than enough to stream media to two other computers while my parents watch poo poo on it in the lounge room. It probably also helps that ita one of the other computers which is the sabnzbd machine and handles most of the more intensive work.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
The last few pages of this thread have cemented that I'm most likely going to pick up the N40L/N54L with between four and six WD Red 3TB drives running in RAID5 (assuming I can shove them in there) plus a small SSD running freeNAS or one of the other flavors recommended in this thread.

For someone who only really needs to back up his photos, videos and music and possibly some minor media streaming would this be a viable option? Though if people think that building my own fileserver is the best option I'm open to suggestions

Being an IT guy who administers multiple Xsans and file servers I feel like a bit of a scrub asking advice and possibly being totally wrong about how many drives I can put in the N40L

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Dec 19, 2012

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
No need for an SSD, there is an internal USB port that is perfect for a thumbdrive, on which you can install the embedded version of NAS4Free or whatever you end up going with.

On the previous page of this thread there is some discussion about how to get a 6th drive in there.

Why RAID5 over RAIDZ?

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

fletcher posted:

No need for an SSD, there is an internal USB port that is perfect for a thumbdrive, on which you can install the embedded version of NAS4Free or whatever you end up going with.

On the previous page of this thread there is some discussion about how to get a 6th drive in there.

Why RAID5 over RAIDZ?

In actually reading the thread backwards I realize my mistake on both counts, since RAIDZ looks to beat out RAID5 and I didn't notice the internal USB port until I read back a few pages.

Now it's a matter of pricing everything out and deciding if I want to go with the 2TB Red drives or the 3TB Red drives. The 2TB option is cheaper and I don't need the ~15TB that the 3TB Reds offer. And then slowly buying everything and tripping over myself as I dip back into a non OS X/Windows operating system for the first time in years...

My ideal plan is to back up the photos scattered across my multiple external drives (somehow, I don't know how yet) to both the NAS and also to CrashPlan+ (which my family thankfully has a family account for) so I'll have local backups as well as backups on the web. Two years working in TV with an LTO5 system has drilled offsite backups into my head

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Dec 19, 2012

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

If you're going to use 5 or 6 drives you should really consider bumping up to raidz2. Especially if you're going to use 3TB drives.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Galler posted:

If you're going to use 5 or 6 drives you should really consider bumping up to raidz2. Especially if you're going to use 3TB drives.

5 or 6 drives is my ultra best case scenario, most likely I'll be putting 4x2TB drives in there at least at first due to budget constraints. I would love to do 6x2TB in RAIDZ2 but I'm not totally sure if I can afford that...at least at the moment

Looking back a few pages to DrDork's post about the workflow for his girlfriend the photographer looks to be pretty good. Do all my work locally on my system and external drives and then shift them over to the NAS/CrashPlan when I'm done. At least something similar.

This is what I get for posting before reading more

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Dec 19, 2012

movax
Aug 30, 2008

6 drives should definitely be RAID-Z2 IMO, if you absolutely had to only use 5 drives, I'd be OK with a RAID-Z1/RAID6, but I live dangerously.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

Galler posted:

Why is that?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

crm posted:

Why is that?

Rebuild time on 3TB will probably take a while and if another drive shits the bed you're boned. Double parity helps eliminate that.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

LmaoTheKid posted:

Rebuild time on 3TB will probably take a while and if another drive shits the bed you're boned. Double parity helps eliminate that.
I just want to chime in that double parity saved my rear end when I somehow lost 2 drives (gently caress you 7 year old cheapie PSU) without noticing.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

pr0digal posted:

5 or 6 drives is my ultra best case scenario, most likely I'll be putting 4x2TB drives in there at least at first due to budget constraints. I would love to do 6x2TB in RAIDZ2 but I'm not totally sure if I can afford that...at least at the moment
Note that there is no particularly easy way to expand from a 4-drive array to a 5- or 6-drive array, other than copying all your data somewhere else temporarily, so keep that in mind when you're setting things up.

e; Also, if you're going to do with a workflow like my girlfriend has, make sure you've got some system set up so there's always at least two copies of the data at every step--either leave the originals on the card while you're working on them locally before pushing them over to the NAS/CrashPlan, or have something like Norton Ghost set up to do nightly/hourly/whatever backups so if something disasterous happens, you've only lost some relatively small amount of work. AND (probably more likely, if your issues are anything like my girlfriend's) so that when you accidentally delete/overwrite something that you needed, you can go back and pull a previous copy easily.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Dec 19, 2012

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

DrDork posted:

Note that there is no particularly easy way to expand from a 4-drive array to a 5- or 6-drive array, other than copying all your data somewhere else temporarily, so keep that in mind when you're setting things up.

After mulling it over I will be going with the 6 drive array, even if it will take longer to get everything together

Dual parity is great and has made my job less stressful when one of our drives failed and we had to wait a few days to get a replacement drive so there is no reason not to have it in my home solution

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies

Wild EEPROM posted:

There are a few others:

Thanks. I knew there were others, but BeyondRAID was the only one that came to mind.

pr0digal posted:

The last few pages of this thread have cemented that I'm most likely going to pick up the N40L/N54L with between four and six WD Red 3TB drives running in RAID5 (assuming I can shove them in there) plus a small SSD running freeNAS or one of the other flavors recommended in this thread.

For someone who only really needs to back up his photos, videos and music and possibly some minor media streaming would this be a viable option? Though if people think that building my own fileserver is the best option I'm open to suggestions

Being an IT guy who administers multiple Xsans and file servers I feel like a bit of a scrub asking advice and possibly being totally wrong about how many drives I can put in the N40L

Adding a fifth drive is as simple as getting a 5.25"->3.5" bracket to install it in the optical bay and then a SATA cable and a molex->SATA power adapter. Like someone else said, a few pages back there's a link to an adapter bracket that will apparently let you fit two 3.5" drives in the optical bay and you can run the sixth off the eSATA port.

I actually wish I'd known about this adapter a few weeks ago when I ordered my N40L setup. I thought getting a sixth 3.5" drive required hardware hacking (to make room for it to physically fit), so I only got 5 drives. Oh well, I've still got 8TB usable (5x 3TB WD reds in a RAIDZ2), and am only using like 15% of it right now, so I should be good for awhile.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

Ok, so to do the 6 drive RAID-Z2 via FreeNAS on the N40L/N54L, what hardware do I need beyond the machine, 6 hardrives and a USB stick?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
You need some spacers like these so you can fit two 3.5" drives in the optical bay. You also need an eSATA to SATA cable so you can route one of those drives to the eSATA port on the back. You'll also want to be picking up a BIOS flash to allow for better speeds on the SATA port that would have otherwise been used for the optical drive. But that's about it.

You're also recommended to pick up an Intel PRO NIC, but that's true regardless of whatever else you feel like putting into the thing.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

crm posted:

Ok, so to do the 6 drive RAID-Z2 via FreeNAS on the N40L/N54L, what hardware do I need beyond the machine, 6 hardrives and a USB stick?

In addition to the drive mounting and connecting goodies above post, don't forget some memory, ZFS is a ram hog. Personally I just bought 8gb of DDR3, didn't even worry about ECC or anything.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
While you probably don't need ECC for a home rig, in that it literally costs $1-$2 more for 8/16GB of ECC vice non-ECC RAM, there's really no reason not to get it.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Would Raid 6 in an N40L give you double-parity AND dynamic expansion if you wanted to start with fewer drives?

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!
If you're putting 6 drives in an N40L, don't forget a molex to 2x SATA adapter if you don't have one laying around.

yomisei
Mar 18, 2011

DrDork posted:

While you probably don't need ECC for a home rig, in that it literally costs $1-$2 more for 8/16GB of ECC vice non-ECC RAM, there's really no reason not to get it.

I want to live where you get your ECC ram so cheap. Here it costs 90€ over 50€ for 16GB for cheapo ones.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

DrDork posted:

You also need an eSATA to SATA cable so you can route one of those drives to the eSATA port on the back. You'll also want to be picking up a BIOS flash to allow for better speeds on the SATA port that would have otherwise been used for the optical drive.

You're also recommended to pick up an Intel PRO NIC, but that's true regardless of whatever else you feel like putting into the thing.

1) why the intel pro nic?
2) is there any reason not to just use a sata expansion card instead of mucking about with bios changes and esata -> sata cables?

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

crm posted:

1) why the intel pro nic?
2) is there any reason not to just use a sata expansion card instead of mucking about with bios changes and esata -> sata cables?

1. I think the reason for getting an Intel NIC that the FreeBSD driver for the built-in NIC is really lovely, which affects FreeNAS/NAS4Free's performance.
2. Updating your BIOS is free

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

astr0man posted:

1. I think the reason for getting an Intel NIC that the FreeBSD driver for the built-in NIC is really lovely, which affects FreeNAS/NAS4Free's performance.
2. Updating your BIOS is free
Yup. FreeBSD work with RealTek NICs, but it doesn't play nice with them. You'll be at risk for random disconnects, lovely performance, and all around obnoxious issues, whereas the drivers it has for the Intel PRO are pretty solid.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

porkface posted:

Would Raid 6 in an N40L give you double-parity AND dynamic expansion if you wanted to start with fewer drives?

Not all RAID is equal. If you want to go that route you need to use md and start with atleast 4 drives.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Tornhelm posted:

The performance of software raid 5 isn't anything special, but its more than enough to stream media to two other computers while my parents watch poo poo on it in the lounge room. It probably also helps that ita one of the other computers which is the sabnzbd machine and handles most of the more intensive work.

Sorry to keep questioning you, but you seem to have the setup I want :). I did a bit of reading around after this and everything I saw implied that Windows 7 removed the RAID 5 option. Are you using a 3rd party RAID software, or is there a different way of getting it working? One of the "workarounds" I saw mentioned was "Install Windows 7 -> Install VirtualBox -> Install linux VM with MDADM -> Give VM access to drives -> Access from Windows via virtual network" which just sounds hideous.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Froist posted:

Sorry to keep questioning you, but you seem to have the setup I want :). I did a bit of reading around after this and everything I saw implied that Windows 7 removed the RAID 5 option. Are you using a 3rd party RAID software, or is there a different way of getting it working? One of the "workarounds" I saw mentioned was "Install Windows 7 -> Install VirtualBox -> Install linux VM with MDADM -> Give VM access to drives -> Access from Windows via virtual network" which just sounds hideous.

If you going to do this why wouldn't you just keep your current Linux/ZFS setup?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

E: nevermind, asked the same thing as ^^^

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
I haven't had any problems with the Boadcom NIC in my N40L (it's not a realtek). It's not as good as an Intel but it's likely going to work fine for most people. Most if not all HP servers ship with Broadcom cards and run fine with FreeBSD.

If you were trying to do line rate gigabit worth of 68 byte packets I'd say get an Intel, but that would be a terrible scenario for a NAS.

Ninja Rope fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Dec 19, 2012

crm
Oct 24, 2004

Longinus00 posted:

Not all RAID is equal. If you want to go that route you need to use md and start with atleast 4 drives.

md is software raid right? But different from ZFS?

Sorry for all the dumb questions :D

So there's

1) ZFS / RAIDZ (right?)
2) Software RAID5/6 (mdadm?)
3) Hardware RAID5/6
4) ????

Which of these will let me

1) expand (I set up with 4 drives and want to add 2 more)
2) recover if the machine it's running on blows up
3) (something else I'm not thinking of)

What's my best option? Probably going to run FreeNAS on it and do nothing but serve up files.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

crm posted:

md is software raid right? But different from ZFS?

Sorry for all the dumb questions :D

So there's

1) ZFS / RAIDZ (right?)
2) Software RAID5/6 (mdadm?)
3) Hardware RAID5/6
4) ????

What's my best option? Probably going to run FreeNAS on it and do nothing but serve up files.

RAIDZ and MDADM software raid are both software RAID. RAIDZ/ZFS are a copy on write filesystem and eliminates the write hole that's present in RAID5.

ZFS is a little more elegant than MDADM in that you just give it the raw disk and it takes care of everything for you, where MDADM builds the array and you format it with the filesystem you want, set mount points, etc. I know you can futz around with ZFS too but it's more automated (and doesn't take forever to build the array, it's just create pool and off you go).

There are fancy ways to do expansion with ZFS but IMO the best way to expand any array is to copy your data off, destroy, and recreate. However, that's not really possible if you're storing terabytes and terabytes of data. A lot of people talk about using ZFS with partitions but that poo poo never makes sense to me so I'll let one of them explain it or pick apart my post if I got anything wrong.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Personal experience...

Having run RAID5 at home for the last 8-10 years I'm pretty comfortable with the limitation of a capped volume size and then building a new system/array in 3-5 years to just copy my data.

Expansion is really only practical for those on an extremely tight budget or anyone building a system with far more room for expansion. In the time it will take to fill a starter volume, it will be nearly impossible to find drives that match the size of today's drives.

I can still (barely) find 200 GB PATA drives for my oldest array but the cost and power consumption make that pointless.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

porkface posted:

Personal experience...

Having run RAID5 at home for the last 8-10 years I'm pretty comfortable with the limitation of a capped volume size and then building a new system/array in 3-5 years to just copy my data.

Expansion is really only practical for those on an extremely tight budget or anyone building a system with far more room for expansion. In the time it will take to fill a starter volume, it will be nearly impossible to find drives that match the size of today's drives.

I can still (barely) find 200 GB PATA drives for my oldest array but the cost and power consumption make that pointless.

I got a UPS last year, and a crashplan account and I stopped caring about ZFS at home (moved to Ubuntu and mdadm/raid5), not to mention I really don't have enough important poo poo to worry about a write hole.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

ZFS on Linux is pretty nice so far, but I have really been spoiled by the in-kernel CIFS server + NFSv4 ACLs on Solaris. Can't see myself migrating my pool over unless a complete meltdown prompts it or something.

Not to mention my zpool version is apparently 31, so I may have hosed myself into a corner there :eng99:

I am totally OK with expanding in stages though; my base unit for my machine was 6-drive 2TB RAID-Z2s, and I just bought 6 at a time until I was all set. I have so many extra drives laying around though, if I can find a cheap chassis to hold them all, I might just build a JBOD box or something to serve as a backup. Got 1.5 and 2TB drives coming out of my butt.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

crm posted:

md on linux will let you do #1, ZFS will not. It should be noted that md is for Linux and not BSD. I have no experience with gvinum and it doesn't sound like many people here do either.

movax posted:

ZFS on Linux is pretty nice so far, but I have really been spoiled by the in-kernel CIFS server + NFSv4 ACLs on Solaris. Can't see myself migrating my pool over unless a complete meltdown prompts it or something.

Not to mention my zpool version is apparently 31, so I may have hosed myself into a corner there :eng99:

I am totally OK with expanding in stages though; my base unit for my machine was 6-drive 2TB RAID-Z2s, and I just bought 6 at a time until I was all set. I have so many extra drives laying around though, if I can find a cheap chassis to hold them all, I might just build a JBOD box or something to serve as a backup. Got 1.5 and 2TB drives coming out of my butt.

If you have a lot of oddly sized drives and are going to use it as a pure write once backup then you should give btrfs a whirl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

astr0man posted:

If you going to do this why wouldn't you just keep your current Linux/ZFS setup?

I've questioned myself too, but basically I want to roll two computers (fileserver + DVR/playback) that sit right next to each other into one. I could stick with ZFS and use MythTV, but I really like Windows Media Center - I've been using it for years. ZFS has been fast/stable as anything for me, but really I don't need blinding speed for playing back video files.