Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!
Does anyone know of any recent-ish Mass Effect-y space opera-style games? It doesn't really need to be anything like Mass Effect gameplay-wise, I'm looking more for the general aesthetic of people flying around in shiny spaceships. I've played EVE and found it pretty boring, and I'm not a huge fan of strategy games in general.

edit: Forgot to mention, I only have a PC.

Eldoop fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Dec 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nighteyedie
May 30, 2011

Eldoop posted:

Does anyone know of any recent-ish Mass Effect-y space opera-style games? It doesn't really need to be anything like Mass Effect gameplay-wise, I'm looking more for the general aesthetic of people flying around in shiny spaceships. I've played EVE and found it pretty boring, and I'm not a huge fan of strategy games in general.

edit: Forgot to mention, I only have a PC.

Knights of The Old Republic 1 and 2, pretty much Mass Effect in the Star Wars universe.

There is also Freespace 1 and 2, they are space fighter sims, but the plot is pretty much the same as Mass Effect games.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Anyone know about games that are all about defence and making last stands? Maybe building barricades or bases against overwhelming odds, something like that. Welding doors would be cool.

Things i know that fit, but im not interested in:
Alien Swarm, console games, Call of Duty zombie things and towerdefence games.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Trier posted:

I need an game I can sink a trillion billion hours into that isn't Fallout, TES, or the old Infinity Engine games.

Something with a bigass world I can just rummage around in. Doesn't even have to be an RPG, can be anything, so long as I can spend way more hours on it than a healthy young man should.

Edit: Oh, and it has to be available on PC. And not japanese.

M&B Warband sounds right up your alley. The mods make it effectively playable for infinite time.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Trier posted:

I need an game I can sink a trillion billion hours into that isn't Fallout, TES, or the old Infinity Engine games.

Something with a bigass world I can just rummage around in. Doesn't even have to be an RPG, can be anything, so long as I can spend way more hours on it than a healthy young man should.

Edit: Oh, and it has to be available on PC. And not japanese.

It probably doesn't fit your specs exactly since it's not first person, but I'm going to go ahead and recommend Anno again. The maps can be fairly large and discovering new resources is pretty fun, although maybe not quite in the way you're looking for, but it definitely eats up time in the way you're looking for. The old thread for 1404 was titled "I 'occidentally' played this game for 8 hours!" for a reason. The other day my day went like this: 9AM: "Hmm I haven't played Anno in a bit. Maybe I should fire up a scenario." ... [/end of day]

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Dongattack posted:

Anyone know about games that are all about defence and making last stands? Maybe building barricades or bases against overwhelming odds, something like that. Welding doors would be cool.

Things i know that fit, but im not interested in:
Alien Swarm, console games, Call of Duty zombie things and towerdefence games.

Killing Floor is somewhat similar to CoD's zombie thing but it includes door welding and is a lot better made for what it's worth.

A game that is VERY IN MUCH IN BETA (all caps because the Steam page sure won't tell you this) The War Z has barricading and base building. It's an open world MMO, all about surviving against both the zombies and your fellow humans, there's a thread for it here.

Now for me, this is kinda oddly specific but something I don't thing I've seen done is a space sim where you can board enemy ships and actually try to fight on the inside of the ship. Does anyone know of anything like that, where I can actually get inside of enemy ships and try to storm the thing? Closest thing I can think of is the space maps in Star Wars: Battlefront 2, which does have it but the game is by no means a space sim.

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Dec 20, 2012

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
What's the most recent game that plays like Baldur's Gate or Icewind Dale? Would it be Dragon Age? Is Neverwinter Nights 2 terribly dated now?

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

joshtothemaxx posted:

What's the most recent game that plays like Baldur's Gate or Icewind Dale? Would it be Dragon Age? Is Neverwinter Nights 2 terribly dated now?

Dragon Age: Origins is similar, but not quite there. NWN 2 is definitely still playable today.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't have a lot of friends / constant internet connection, can I enjoy the Killing Floor in singleplayer? Is there a game that is like L4D or BlOps Zombies but for one person? The only one I can think of is Dead Rising.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

joshtothemaxx posted:

Those are definitely the two games that have the most in common with Baldur's Gate. In my opinion the worst part about Neverwinter Nights 2 is the absolutely glacial runspeed, but I'm sure other people have reasons why they don't like it. You'd be nuts not to get some serious Baldur's Gate vibes off of it.

Disco Godfather
May 31, 2011

My girlfriend and I are looking for a competitive turn-based mobile game. I'm envisioning a mobile PBEM-style wargame. Some kind of Advance Wars clone, perhaps?

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

DrProsek posted:

Now for me, this is kinda oddly specific but something I don't thing I've seen done is a space sim where you can board enemy ships and actually try to fight on the inside of the ship. Does anyone know of anything like that, where I can actually get inside of enemy ships and try to storm the thing? Closest thing I can think of is the space maps in Star Wars: Battlefront 2, which does have it but the game is by no means a space sim.

FTL is probably a bit too abstracted to be a space sim, but it does have ship combat where teleporting crew from one ship to another is a large part of the combat.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

ducttape posted:

FTL is probably a bit too abstracted to be a space sim, but it does have ship combat where teleporting crew from one ship to another is a large part of the combat.

Hmm, I've heard of FTL before and while it's not quite a space sim, the praise I've seen plus having boarding combat makes me want to get it. I'll keep an eye out during Christmas sales for it!

Also,

DrProsek posted:

A game that is VERY IN MUCH IN BETA (all caps because the Steam page sure won't tell you this) The War Z has barricading and base building. It's an open world MMO, all about surviving against both the zombies and your fellow humans, there's a thread for it here.

Ignore this suggestion. The game's been pulled from Steam, people in the thread are getting refunds left and right and the best I hear of it is it had potential but the developers have been lying about something (still not clear), and even if development finishes the game will never have the trust for the developers to have the kind for this kind of game to work. Sorry should have read up more before suggesting it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Turtlicious posted:

I don't have a lot of friends / constant internet connection, can I enjoy the Killing Floor in singleplayer? Is there a game that is like L4D or BlOps Zombies but for one person? The only one I can think of is Dead Rising.

ZombiU is a really good and very tense game if you have a WiiU/want a reason to get one.

Disco Godfather posted:

My girlfriend and I are looking for a competitive turn-based mobile game. I'm envisioning a mobile PBEM-style wargame. Some kind of Advance Wars clone, perhaps?

If you have PSP's, give Valkyria Chronicles 2 a look.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I just got a PS3 - this is my first console since the Dreamcast. Since I have a PC and tend to play a lot of the big multiformat releases on it already, what PS3 exclusives should I look out for? I'm particularly interested in RPGs, since I haven't played any in ages.

Things I'm already getting:
Demon's Souls
Gran Turismo 5
Heavy Rain

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Chas McGill posted:

I just got a PS3 - this is my first console since the Dreamcast. Since I have a PC and tend to play a lot of the big multiformat releases on it already, what PS3 exclusives should I look out for? I'm particularly interested in RPGs, since I haven't played any in ages.

Demon's Souls
Gran Turismo 5
Heavy Rain

Consider getting Valkyria Chronicles. It's a turn-based tactics game with a pretty sweet move-shoot-move setup. It's pretty anime, but if that doesn't dissuade you, it's a really fun game.

Here's the Giant Bomb quicklook so you can get a good idea of how it works.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Shlapintogan posted:

Consider getting Valkyria Chronicles. It's a turn-based tactics game with a pretty sweet move-shoot-move setup. It's pretty anime, but if that doesn't dissuade you, it's a really fun game.

Here's the Giant Bomb quicklook so you can get a good idea of how it works.

Ah yeah, I recently read this retrospective on Eurogamer and thought it looked good, too.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Chas McGill posted:

Demon's Souls
Gran Turismo 5
Heavy Rain

Some of the general PS3 exclusives worth playing are;

Ratchet and Clank: Future (It's a trilogy of Tools of Destruction, Quest for Booty, and A Crack in Time)

The Uncharted trilogy (The first one's okay, but U2 and U3 are far superior and each sequel's mostly stand-alone)

3D Dot Heroes is a self-aware parody of the old 8-bit zelda action rpg's, and is a pretty fun game you can usually get for cheap.

Killzone 2&3 are decent FPS games. 2 is mildly average, while 3 is a far better game, but it's a direct continuation of K2.

Metal Gear Solid 4 (it has a poo poo-ton of long cutscenes, but it's still fun to play)

And Valkyria Chronicles is well worth playing. I've had a lot of fun with that game and highly recommend it. It's one of the games I bought a PS3 for.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Do the original Fallout games still hold up pretty well for someone who never played them?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

NESguerilla posted:

Do the original Fallout games still hold up pretty well for someone who never played them?

They're slightly impenetrable and they will look hideous at first. You may struggle through the first few hours because of how old they are if you are not used to playing 90s RPGs. After that, though, yes, they completely hold up, they are still amazing, and there are still lots of cool quests and ideas that are better than almost anything you'll find in modern games.

edit: Guess I should point out that I'm speaking from experience, having played them for the first time across 2010 and 2011. Seriously, the games seem ridiculously archaic at first, and then after a while it just becomes totally fine and the interface and ugly graphics don't get in the way whatsoever.

Fergus Mac Roich fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Dec 20, 2012

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

NESguerilla posted:

Fallout 2 is still my favourite game.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Some of the general PS3 exclusives worth playing are;

Ratchet and Clank: Future (It's a trilogy of Tools of Destruction, Quest for Booty, and A Crack in Time)

The Uncharted trilogy (The first one's okay, but U2 and U3 are far superior and each sequel's mostly stand-alone)

3D Dot Heroes is a self-aware parody of the old 8-bit zelda action rpg's, and is a pretty fun game you can usually get for cheap.

Killzone 2&3 are decent FPS games. 2 is mildly average, while 3 is a far better game, but it's a direct continuation of K2.

Metal Gear Solid 4 (it has a poo poo-ton of long cutscenes, but it's still fun to play)

And Valkyria Chronicles is well worth playing. I've had a lot of fun with that game and highly recommend it. It's one of the games I bought a PS3 for.
Thanks for the recommendations. I don't think I'd get on with any FPS game with a controller, but the other stuff looks pretty good.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

NESguerilla posted:

I found Fallout 1 a bit too archaic. The interface and general gameplay was a bit to old for me.

Fallout 2 is one of my favorite games though and I think still holds up.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Chas McGill posted:

Demon's Souls
Gran Turismo 5
Heavy Rain

The upscaled Shadow of the Colossus and ICO are available on PSN.

Scambl
Jun 1, 2007

Anything you can do, Neil Gaiman can do better.

Chas McGill posted:

Demon's Souls
Gran Turismo 5
Heavy Rain

How has no one mentioned Journey yet? It's not an RPG, but it's certainly something to experience.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

NESguerilla posted:

I'll chime in since I didn't play the first Fallout until last month. It's still ridiculously good. The only hurdle is the UI, but that can overcome easily. Afterwards there's a great game to be had, and is a great length of not being too long or filled with 8 million quests (that would be Fallout 2).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Scambl posted:

How has no one mentioned Journey yet? It's not an RPG, but it's certainly something to experience.

drat, I knew there was something I'd forgotten. Get Flower as well, it's by the same indie dev studio that made Journey.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Chiming in who's favourite games are still the original fallouts.

I'm looking for a squad level (maybe 4-8 characters?) tactics/strategy/turn based game without loads of superfluous story and etc, that is quick to play (not spending 10 minutes waiting for the cpu's turn). Along the lines of jagged alliance 2, front mission or final fantasy tactics (if it is jrpg-esque the majority of the story needs to be skippable). Extra points if I can play it windowed!

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.

Chas McGill posted:

Thanks for the recommendations. I don't think I'd get on with any FPS game with a controller, but the other stuff looks pretty good.

You can't leave without knowing that Vanquish exists. It's pretty incredible.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

field balm posted:

Chiming in who's favourite games are still the original fallouts.

I'm looking for a squad level (maybe 4-8 characters?) tactics/strategy/turn based game without loads of superfluous story and etc, that is quick to play (not spending 10 minutes waiting for the cpu's turn). Along the lines of jagged alliance 2, front mission or final fantasy tactics (if it is jrpg-esque the majority of the story needs to be skippable). Extra points if I can play it windowed!

The new XCOM: Enemy Unknown is exactly this.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

NESguerilla posted:

Yeah I played them for the first time last year. I'd skip the first one, but the second is pretty fantastic once you get past the horrible intro.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

The new XCOM: Enemy Unknown is exactly this.

Any recommendations for someone that just finished XCOM?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
People in the Gog thread are pretty excited about that Eador game that went up on gog.com recently, it's supposed to be an excellent game in the SRPG vein. People keep referencing Heroes of Might and Magic in relation to it. Also it's supposed to be pretty buggy. I haven't played it so I can't actually recommend it but not many people go in that thread so I thought I'd give you guys a heads up.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
Games that are similar to Fallout 1/Fallout 2 (post-apocalyptic, isometric view, so on)

Forgedbow
Jun 1, 2012

have a cigar

Twee as gently caress posted:

Games that are similar to Fallout 1/Fallout 2 (post-apocalyptic, isometric view, so on)
Arcanum. Not post-apoc, but isometric view, and very Fallout-y gameplay. Steampunk meets high fantasy setting, interesting yet broken character development, it was a enterprising first try from Troika. I'd recommend giving it a try.

e:
Lionheart is essentialy fantasy Fallout. Not necessarily recommended, it start off strongly but apparently they ran out of time and the second half the game is just a boring grind. But it might scratch whatever Fallout-like itch you're feeling.

Forgedbow fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Dec 21, 2012

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
Which game in the Assassin's Creed 2 line of things should I get? I heard Revelations was kind of a disappointment, but that Brotherhood was what a lot of people wanted 2 to be; what's really the best one to grab? Keep in mind I basically want a parkour simulator, so size of the gameworld is the most important factor rather than features, although outfits are nice and calling down random assassins on people in Brotherhood also seems pretty fun too. Is there any solid pro/con list, or is it a bit murkier than that?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Heavy Lobster posted:

Which game in the Assassin's Creed 2 line of things should I get? I heard Revelations was kind of a disappointment, but that Brotherhood was what a lot of people wanted 2 to be; what's really the best one to grab? Keep in mind I basically want a parkour simulator, so size of the gameworld is the most important factor rather than features, although outfits are nice and calling down random assassins on people in Brotherhood also seems pretty fun too. Is there any solid pro/con list, or is it a bit murkier than that?
Brotherhood is pretty much accepted as the best one but it really expects you to have played 2. You will not be dissatisfied with 2 so I would say grab 2 and then after you beat it play Brotherhood.

Natrapx
Jan 13, 2010

The x is for xenogamy
I'm after a 4x style game set in space, something fairly modern but without the addition of battles. Something similar to Galactic Civ (although not that particular game which I've played before)

Its to play on my work laptop, so it would need to run on a fairly low end Intel integrated graphics (although it does have an i5). Also, i'd need to be able to download it, so Steam/GOG preferably.

Thanks!

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

PBio posted:

I'm after a 4x style game set in space, something fairly modern but without the addition of battles. Something similar to Galactic Civ (although not that particular game which I've played before)

Its to play on my work laptop, so it would need to run on a fairly low end Intel integrated graphics (although it does have an i5). Also, i'd need to be able to download it, so Steam/GOG preferably.

Thanks!

I don't know if it actually fits your qualifications, but Endless Space is on daily winter sale today on Steam

Natrapx
Jan 13, 2010

The x is for xenogamy

Tagra posted:

I don't know if it actually fits your qualifications, but Endless Space is on daily winter sale today on Steam

Thanks, I had seen that but system requirements lab tells me my laptop fails to meet the minimum specs for that one. Graphics arnt good enough apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

There was a hex-based medieval/fantasy squad game with it's own thread around here a day or two ago. Looked interesting but now I can't find it. Anyone know what I'm talking about?