Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

BadAstronaut posted:

Which is why this sale is a little disappointing and I have not bought anything yet. I really don't need to own games I have no interest in.

Sorry GOG, myself and many other games really don't like this sales model. 75% off everything would be genuinely exciting. Or, I'd rather have 66% off across the board than 50 here, 75 there. I have zero interest in some of the filler you have in there.
Well, before they added additional price points from 5.99/9.99, they never really went more than 66% at best, 75 rarely if ever.

Though it does suck that they have jam too many games together into a bundle of 15-20$ then I look at it and it doesn't seem so appealing as I was expecting.

Well actually, maybe I'll be buying the city builder bundle and I missed picking up Riddick the other day so I guess that too. My wallet is going to hate me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I am not lying, or exaggerating, when I say Eador: Genesis is easily the best game that has been uploaded to this site yet. Good gently caress.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

JebanyPedal posted:

I am not lying, or exaggerating, when I say Eador: Genesis is easily the best game that has been uploaded to this site yet. Good gently caress.

I'm holding out for the upcoming remake but good god it looks fun.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

JebanyPedal posted:

That game is dangerous. Civ 4 dangerous.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Right, starting a game of Planescape Torment.

What are the best starting stats to get the most out of the game as a magic user? I want maximum dialogue options, most quest opportunities and the most 'cerebral' and talky version of the game as possible. I am aware there are tattoos that can up all your stats so what is a good starting stat layout for the kind of playthrough I want?

Thanks guys.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Off the top of my head I think you want something like 18 wisdom 16 int and 14 charisma. You'll want to put a point in charisma when you level up, 3 points into int and the rest into wisdom.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

BadAstronaut posted:

Right, starting a game of Planescape Torment.

What are the best starting stats to get the most out of the game as a magic user? I want maximum dialogue options, most quest opportunities and the most 'cerebral' and talky version of the game as possible. I am aware there are tattoos that can up all your stats so what is a good starting stat layout for the kind of playthrough I want?

Thanks guys.

Max Wis, then Int is probably the best starting stat layout. You want all three of the social stats high, but Wis additionally gives you an XP bonus, and probably has the greatest influence on reclaiming lost memories (which also give you XP).

Between level-ups, tattoos, and straight up stat bonuses, you should have little trouble getting all three to 25 by the end of the game with a few points left over to put into str or con or dex. It's not a very hard game.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

JebanyPedal posted:

Is this part of a bundle today?

It looks like a more modern version of Master of Magic, which is to say "this is probably how I'll be pissing away my Christmas Vacation."

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Peas and Rice posted:

Is this part of a bundle today?

It's not. Don't let that stop you, though.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Saoshyant posted:

It's not. Don't let that stop you, though.

No Mac version, which means I can't play it on the road.

Need to figure out how to get that dual-boot working on my new Air.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

Sackmo posted:

:siren: End of the world sale! :siren:

125+ games for 75% off. Plus two new releases, Capsized and A New Beginning.

Edit: drat, I thought it was a straight 75% off per game but apparently they're sticking to their silly package model.

Has anyone played Capsized? The trailer makes it seem like a lot of fun.

Been meaning to grab Giana Sisters too... both of those games are on Steam though, maybe I should just wait and see if they go on sale there...

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Giana Sisters is really fun, Capsized is really boring.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Yeah, Capsized is so so at best. It's been on steam for over a year and just wasn't that fun.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

JebanyPedal posted:

This is A Correct Opinion; everyone should buy Eador. It's one hell of an unforgiving game but man it hurts so good.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Giana Sisters is really fun, Capsized is really boring.

Seconding this. Capsized has a lot of great ideas, but it makes a few really stupid decisions along the way. Grappling-hooking around the levels is fun, but a lot of stages are narrow tunnel crawls filled with tiny enemies that are 100% invisible when behind foreground grass, so you often find yourself haemmoraging health with no indication what's hurting you.

Most levels are just 'go from A to B' or 'kill X enemy spawners', and the final boss is barely even a blip on the radar. It also has a pretty nice soundtrack that is complete disconnected from the gameplay. It's a platform shooter with an ambient spacey drone accompaniment that just plays like an album on loop in the background.

Giana Sisters is pretty great, though. Good, clear, tight level design and amazing music that is very much part of the experience.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.
So what are the general opinions on "A New Beginning"?

The plot sounds interesting, but some of the reviews make it sound like the translation to English is really poor and seriously hampers the experience.

It's currently on sale for $4.99 so perhaps I should just go for it? :v:

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

This is an incredibly perplexing sale. It's not clear whether I'm getting awesome sale prices or not, and half the stuff I'd like to by is bound to stuff I don't want. It's like they're trying to jam the front page with as much crap as possible.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Anybody know the last game in the "GOG.com 2012 Scavenger Screenshot Hunt?"

Here's what the thread found so far:

Zork Anthology
The Witcher 2
Mob Rule
Fahrenheit
Edna & Harvey
Duke Nukem 1+2
Costume Quest
Assassin’s Creed Directors Cut
Worms 2
Syndicate
Master of Orion 1+2

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

doctorfrog posted:

This is an incredibly perplexing sale. It's not clear whether I'm getting awesome sale prices or not, and half the stuff I'd like to by is bound to stuff I don't want. It's like they're trying to jam the front page with as much crap as possible.

Yeah, like 80% of all games are still 50% off no matter what, which is pretty neat in and of itself, but all those "get 75% off if you buy poo poo you don't want"-deals always make you feel like you're not saving that much even if you are.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Steam has packs that offer greater discounts than individual items too. And with GoG at least you don't have to re-purchase the games you already have on GoG. It's not like the bundle discount is completely unheard of.

Steam sale prices are generally better, but at least with GoG there's no DRM.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I'm like 4 hours into Nox and holy poo poo, how on earth I never played this game before? Got it during last summer sale (impulse buy), what a pleasant surprise. I like the voice acting, the music is great and has that old-school charm that after a few minutes getting used to the weird control scheme really sucks you in.

I'm a sucker for action-rpgs like Diablo, Torchlight, etc... and have Darkstone backlogged, is there any other game like this that I can get before the sale ends? I love that I can just put Nox on a flash drive and play it on my netbook and that will be a point to take account.

Edit: Completely forgot that i have Divine Divinity and Beyond Divinity on GOG :v:

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Dec 19, 2012

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Torment rules. Even if you cheat.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Okay GOG, fine, I'm getting the City Builder's bundle. But just so you know, I'll never touch half these games and I resent it.

Tokyo Incident
Nov 1, 2011

relax

odiv posted:

Steam has packs that offer greater discounts than individual items too. And with GoG at least you don't have to re-purchase the games you already have on GoG. It's not like the bundle discount is completely unheard of.

Steam sale prices are generally better, but at least with GoG there's no DRM.

Yeah, if they left out the checkboxes and just showed the sale price for each game, the price of the pack and how much money you save - the way Steam does it - then people would feel less "ripped off". Maybe present those Pick and Mix packs as individual deals instead of grouping them together too, so it doesn't feel like GoG are coming up with different rules for different bundles.

Not that this stuff is bothering me. I personally find it difficult to feel hard done by when I have to pay $5 for some classic title instead of $2.50.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country
The Belated Halloween bundle is really tempting, I'm not sure how accessible the games are though since they're almost as old as i am.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

TheIllestVillain posted:

The Belated Halloween bundle is really tempting, I'm not sure how accessible the games are though since they're almost as old as i am.

The Gabriel Knight games are pretty decent, and aside from an infamous puzzle in one of them(honey on the cat hair makes a moustache) they aren't nearly as bad about adventure game bullshit as some other classic Sierra games, like the King's Quest series. Phantasmagoria is fun in a B-movie sort of way. On the off chance you have a paid subscription to Giant Bomb, they played through the whole game one time. I know nothing about the sequel.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

TheIllestVillain posted:

I was a senior in high school when Phantasmagoria came out. :smith:

They're from the era when adventure games were trying to be interactive movies, and Sierra took that very literally with their FMV games. They're OK, but certainly relics of their times more than most of the early 1990s graphic adventures are. GK1 is great. The others... well, I'd suggest going with other Sierra games first, like :qfg:.

Although Phantasmagoria 1+2 are a real headtrip to see how they were pushing the limits of gaming back then. There are some really vicious FMV murder scenes in the first one.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

I went ahead and bought it, i ended up saving an extra 60 cents because of the exchange rate :australia:

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Huh? Pretty decent? GK1 and 2 are both brilliant, and generally considered the pinnacle of adventure games (along with some other titles) for good reason. GK3 is good too, but hasn't aged so well.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
EA expansion packs have been added to your accounts for free. Alien Crossfire, Righteous Fire, Secret Missions, et al.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Commander Keenan posted:

EA expansion packs have been added to your accounts for free. Alien Crossfire, Righteous Fire, Secret Missions, et al.
No loving way.

edit: I downloaded and installed Wing Commander Privateer, and I can see a dosboxPRIV_RF.conf and a RF.CFG, but I don't see an RF.EXE :(

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Dec 20, 2012

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

VisAbsoluta posted:

Huh? Pretty decent? GK1 and 2 are both brilliant, and generally considered the pinnacle of adventure games (along with some other titles) for good reason. GK3 is good too, but hasn't aged so well.

I know plenty of people who think they're good but this is the first time I've heard anyone call them the "pinnacle" of anything. I don't talk to adventure game people much but outside of those circles I think Sierra in general is pretty much ignored. People kinda like Space Quest and Gabriel Knight but even then there's a fear by people who haven't actually played those games that they'll be like those terrible King's Quest games they've heard about.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Commander Keenan posted:

This was a cruel trick. Either that or I'm looking in the wrong place.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Total Annihilation goes crazy and eventually crashes whenever I try to move my view around the map, at least at 1920x1080 (haven't tried other resolutions), does anyone know, what is the deal

EDIT: I think it was actually just the first core mission

The Chad Jihad fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Dec 20, 2012

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

GrandpaPants posted:

This was a cruel trick. Either that or I'm looking in the wrong place.

You'll have to download the 2.0.0 installer.

anthonypants posted:

No loving way.

edit: I downloaded and installed Wing Commander Privateer, and I can see a dosboxPRIV_RF.conf and a RF.CFG, but I don't see an RF.EXE :(

It's there. You might need to run the start menu / game folder shortcuts to get it working.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I know plenty of people who think they're good but this is the first time I've heard anyone call them the "pinnacle" of anything. I don't talk to adventure game people much but outside of those circles I think Sierra in general is pretty much ignored. People kinda like Space Quest and Gabriel Knight but even then there's a fear by people who haven't actually played those games that they'll be like those terrible King's Quest games they've heard about.

Yes, I'm talking about the niche here. If you look into any reviews or forums in specialized websites, they surely will be listed at least among the best.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Commander Keenan posted:

Can i grab Alpha Centauri now and still get Crossfire?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Commander Keenan posted:

You'll have to download the 2.0.0 installer.

It's there. You might need to run the start menu / game folder shortcuts to get it working.
The only shortcut it made uses the PRIV_single conf file, but copying that and pointing it to PRIV_RF instead loads Righteous Fire, so I'm good. Unless going to Jolson automatically loads the RF scenario, which would be awesome.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

TheIllestVillain posted:

Can i grab Alpha Centauri now and still get Crossfire?

Yup.

And to those with doubt....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Eh, I'll probably give Mutant Mudds and Snapshot a shot, they don't look bad, just not something I'd pick up by themselves.

Mutant Mudds is decently fun, but it doesn't introduce anything new past the first two worlds. Just play it until you get bored and you don't ever really have to try it again. Totally worth the one or two dollar you spend for it, at the very least.