Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

Pesky Splinter posted:

Could be. That's a pretty decent thing, if so, and if they present a challange.

Hey Pesky, I put more info in the Anarchy Reigns thread.

These new enemies seem pretty cool I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
OK, beat mission 7. Got killed by the boss once (she only had a sliver of health left) and bulldozed her the second try - probably the easiest boss so far. I'm going to stop whining after this post, but I can see why Capcom decided to try a different team, because everything game-play related outside of combat has been absolutely dreadful so far. Especially the secret missions are an exercise in frustration. Missions that can't be beaten without certain abilities (the game doesn't always tell you this), a mission that can only be beaten by Dante (why the hell is Nero even able to try it? Someone new to the series would have no idea what Royal Guard is), that loving "find the secret orbs mission", missions that require just about perfect platforming skills in a game where the platforming is an unresponsive mess, I could go on.

Thankfully the fighting is still fun, even if the part with the disappearing platforms was dreadful (what's with the camera in that part?), and the plant enemies that can hurt you even if they are down, are definitely on the top my list of the most annoying enemies so far. I like how the game encourages experimentation during fights - in the beginning I could get a maximum of "B" rank during fights but now I've started ending up with mostly "A" and "S" rank during most encounters (thanks for the tips everyone!) I'm also thankful for the lack of QTEs, even if I still mashed the button every time I grabbed the latest boss - force of habit I guess. From now on I'll just focus on getting through the stages, ignoring all secrets and hidden missions.

What the DMC series needs is to keep the DMC4 fighting engine but tighten up the platforming and stage design, and iron out all the bullshit design decisions to reduce unnecessary frustration. As it is now I have no problem with the difficulty of the fights, just the frustration stemming from everything else.

I doubt Ninja Theory is the studio to make this happen, though.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Dec 20, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
I may be misremebering, but mashing the Devil Bringer button does effect some busters. Using it on Frosts (I believe), has it so that you keep thrashing them about by their tails for a longer time before throwing them, and I'm sure something similar happens on particular busters on bosses. I'll have to check, or maybe someone can correct me on that.

4's probably the most flawed out of the good three DMCs, the combat mechanics excepted. There's some really questionable design choices which, while they don't ruin the game, do drag it down. I wonder if they were running out of time or money perhaps?

NT is probably one of the worst devs to have been chosen to head the new game, even with Capcom's supervison and aid. NT's only trump card is that they can make their games look very pretty. Their combat (as has been discussed before) is pretty lacking, and their "platforming" in Enslaved can barely be called such.

Why Capcom chose them, I'm guessing that either NT works for peanuts, or Capcom confused them for a western branch of Team Ninja.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Dec 20, 2012

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Pesky Splinter posted:

I may be misremebering, but mashing the Devil Bringer button does effect some busters. Using it on Frosts (I believe), has it so that you keep thrashing them about by their tails for a longer time before throwing them, and I'm sure something similar happens on particular busters on bosses. I'll have to check, or maybe someone can correct me on that.

NT is probably one of the worst devs to have been chosen to head the new game, even with Capcom's supervison and aid. NT's only trump card is that they can make their games look very pretty. Their combat (as has been discussed before) is pretty lacking, and their "platforming" in Enslaved can barely be called such.

Why Capcom chose them, I'm guessing that either NT works for peanuts, or Capcom confused them for a western branch of Team Ninja.

Ah, you're completely right about the Frosts. Don't think I've seen anything other than that - not yet, at least. Any tips about the shadowy ghoul-like monsters? I use my arm three times to remove the shadow so I can hurt them, but is there a more effective method?

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Renoistic posted:

Ah, you're completely right about the Frosts. Don't think I've seen anything other than that - not yet, at least. Any tips about the shadowy ghoul-like monsters? I use my arm three times to remove the shadow so I can hurt them, but is there a more effective method?

Charge shot 3. That's the answer to most things for Nero, really.

You can do exceed during the busters on Echidna, but I never knew about mashing when bustering frosts.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Renoistic posted:

Any tips about the shadowy ghoul-like monsters? I use my arm three times to remove the shadow so I can hurt them, but is there a more effective method?

Charge shots work pretty well against them, not sure if it's quicker than the buster though. I always found them easier as Dante with his shotgun. v:shobon:v

[e]: Beaten.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.

Peewi posted:

Charge shot 3. That's the answer to most things for Nero, really.

You can do exceed during the busters on Echidna, but I never knew about mashing when bustering frosts.

It's mostly useful for knocking away other enemies as it doesn't contribute a ton of extra damage.

The biggest issue I had with Charge Shot 3 was the fact that I always swing and release the shoulder button at the same moment. :saddowns:

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

WeaponBoy posted:

The biggest issue I had with Charge Shot 3 was the fact that I always swing and release the shoulder button at the same moment.

Yeah, I do that all the time, as well. :saddowns:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Pesky Splinter posted:

If you mash the buster button, you slam the lizard monsters against the ground more times I believe, and against the spear armors, you rev the weapon more and stab them a couple more times before firing them off. That's the only ones I know about, but I know there is a boss that allows you to charge Exceed during their buster animation, but I forgot which one that is.

Dol
Feb 16, 2007

S-Alpha posted:

I know there is a boss that allows you to charge Exceed during their buster animation, but I forgot which one that is.

Echidna.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
It's also worth pointing out that once you get DT you can continue to shoot even during Busters which is a very nice extra source of damage.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Looks like Capcom's finally authorized discounts on both DMC3* and 4** for this Christmas, with both games coming down to $6.79. If you still haven't played them, now's your chance to find out why we're making such a big stink over DmC!

*crappy port, but salvageable
**definitely one of the best PC ports in existence

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Pesky Splinter posted:

4's probably the most flawed out of the good three DMCs, the combat mechanics excepted. There's some really questionable design choices which, while they don't ruin the game, do drag it down. I wonder if they were running out of time or money perhaps?

What's wrong with 4's combat mechanics?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
No he was saying the mechanics are the only thing that weren't flawed in DMC4. The graphics were really sharp too. But the game is far from perfect, they were really scraping the bottom of the barrel as far as ideas go.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
DMC4 is entirely justified due to the cutscenes showing Dante's reaction to finding Lucifer and his showdown with Agnus

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Uncle Wemus posted:

What's wrong with 4's combat mechanics?

Nothing. He said everything but the combat has some major flaws.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Nothing. He said everything but the combat has some major flaws.

See: Those lovely "platforming" sequences with the Devil Bringer.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
I think playing 4 with a keyboard tainted my feelings about it a bit, but I had a lot of fun with it.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

notZaar posted:

No he was saying the mechanics are the only thing that weren't flawed in DMC4. The graphics were really sharp too. But the game is far from perfect, they were really scraping the bottom of the barrel as far as ideas go.

Yeah, it's still looks pretty fantastic, graphically. And it runs smooth as butter too. Same for the cutscenes, which are all in-engine, which is really impressive considering how great they look.

The obvious flaw that everyone talks about, is the backtracking with Dante. It just smacks of either the developers running out of time, or trying to cut costs, and it's rather disappointing in that aspect, because it feels like we're missing a large chunk of gameplay.

It plays havoc with the pacing as well, especially at the character change-over; just after you've gotten the hang of Nero, suddenly you have to relearn everything from scratch, with a vastly more complex one, and it's offputting. It's like juggling with three balls, and then having someone throw you another eight.

I've personally neverminded the RE style of "go through place to find key to unlock place" level design, but the platforming sections it's got are pretty awful. More so when the jump controls are really designed for the combat alone.

It's one of those games that's fun as hell to play and replay, but I just feel that they could have done so much more to improve the bits that were lacking.

A refocus is really what's needed for a DMC5 - going over what works/doesn't work in 4. I don't think it was drastic enough to need a reboot. It just seems like a waste to seem them drop those combat mechanics for something that, to put politely, can go gently caress itself for how really unbalanced it is.

[e]: Now that's another thing about 4 I loved - the cutscenes. Funny as poo poo, and full of little easter eggs if you looked hard enough (hidden Dante in the opening one, "Mundus Vivendi", the posters of Beowulf and Mary in Dante's office, and Dante's magazine having a section on Lady, Ebony & Ivory, with cameos from Trish and Lady's voice/mocap artists on the cover), or just filled with great little character things, like Agnus sticking his pinkies out, while holding onto Nero's sword, or Dante being Dante.
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Dec 20, 2012

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Songbearer posted:

DMC4 is entirely justified due to the cutscenes showing Dante's reaction to finding Lucifer and his showdown with Agnus

Also, all of Nero's special Devil Bringer beatdowns on the bosses. And the fact that the first fight in the game is just Dante mocking you. After shooting the pope in the face.

drat, DMC4 owned.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Crowetron posted:

Also, all of Nero's special Devil Bringer beatdowns on the bosses. And the fact that the first fight in the game is just Dante mocking you. After shooting the pope in the face.

drat, DMC4 owned.

I also loved all the Capcom references in the game-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhYeJZOPYnE&t=366s

SUPER ATOMIC BUSTAAAAA

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I know it has been said already, but allow me to ask once more: about the DMC HD Collection, performance-wise (frame-rate, input recognition, interface using) it runs fine, yes? Or are there any significant differences? As far as I understand, the graphical upgrade is simply upscaling, and not used in all instances (cut-scenes are still SD, I think?), but I mostly care about convenience of having all three games on the same disc.

Temascos
Sep 3, 2011

Regarding a real DMC5, if they stuck with Dante's style system from 4 along with some fanastic areas and enemies that would be sufficient for me as its been a while since a game like DMC4 (Not barring games like Bayonetta of course, but DMC had that magic for me). Thing that would need to change though are: Backtracking done to a less severe degree, or meant something substantial if it had to happen. Platforming should be simple and not be something too important to the gameplay. Battle themes need to have variety, or just more of them.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Some prerendered videos and the menus are 4:3. I noticed some minor frame drops in DMC3 whenever there was a explosion close to the camera. There are a couple of missing effects in DMC1 (Mundus shockwave attack is invisible and some of those cool moving texture effects are gone). Apart from those small flaws, the collection is pretty good. DMC1 runs at a full 60hz and at the proper aspect ratio, which is a huge plus if you played the PAL version.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...
So I had the urge to play DMC4 again, popped the disc in the PS3.

Hello 25 minute install, I forgot about you when I upgraded my hard drive.

Dol
Feb 16, 2007

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ If you aren't playing DMC4 on the PC you are doing it wrong

Szurumbur posted:

I know it has been said already, but allow me to ask once more: about the DMC HD Collection, performance-wise (frame-rate, input recognition, interface using) it runs fine, yes? Or are there any significant differences? As far as I understand, the graphical upgrade is simply upscaling, and not used in all instances (cut-scenes are still SD, I think?), but I mostly care about convenience of having all three games on the same disc.

After having played through the first and third games I only ever encountered one instance of slow down and that was in a single room that was off of the beaten path in Devil May Cry 1.

Performance-wise both games were solid and worth playing. Especially three.

Dol fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Dec 21, 2012

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

So I just beat 3 after having last played it in 2006. The boss battles were mostly great, and so is the combat in general, but the enemy designs aren't too creative and some bosses and enemies are very boring to fight. The Leviathan's heart is just bland and I'm thankful Jester is optional since he's just a health sponge with three attacks at most, I also didn't like how obviously tacked on he is in the SE by randomly putting symbols in random levels. The second stage of Arkham's boss battle is also awful since it gets rid of your demon mode and style and it's just a mess of purple so you don't know what's attacking you.

The ending is still pretty :smith: despite being anime as gently caress, though. Hopefully the reboot will have something similar.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I don't care what anybody says, I think DMC3 has a great narrative. Not original or groundbreaking, but it's effective and emotional.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Dol posted:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ If you aren't playing DMC4 on the PC you are doing it wrong

After having played through the first and third games I only ever encountered one instance of slow down and that was in a single room that was off of the beaten path in Devil May Cry 1.

Performance-wise both games were solid and worth playing. Especially three.

Spermando posted:

Some prerendered videos and the menus are 4:3. I noticed some minor frame drops in DMC3 whenever there was a explosion close to the camera. There are a couple of missing effects in DMC1 (Mundus shockwave attack is invisible and some of those cool moving texture effects are gone). Apart from those small flaws, the collection is pretty good. DMC1 runs at a full 60hz and at the proper aspect ratio, which is a huge plus if you played the PAL version.

That's great, thanks to both of you :) The Collection is somewhat cheap now, as is DMC 4 - it seems my laptop would be able to play it, I assume linking it to a TV using a HDMI cable does not raise system requirements?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
That depends if you plan on running it at a higher resolution. 1080p can be pretty taxing on a mobile video chipset. There is a free demo and benchmark tool for DMC4, you should download it and see what your performance will be like. The game is also on sale on Steam right now, less than $10.

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
Since DMC4 is on sale, I thought I would practice with a new playthrough of DMC3. drat, I got pretty bad at the game after a year. I'm having a pretty rough time getting the hang of it after coming off of Bayonetta. Probably my biggest hang up with it is that enemies just love to attack from off screen. This would be less of an issue if the camera was at all manageable, but I guess this is one thing that is consistent with the original three games. Seriously though, I wish they took the God Hand approach to these kind of things and prevent enemies from doing charging, lunging, and projectile moves from off screen.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

notZaar posted:

That depends if you plan on running it at a higher resolution. 1080p can be pretty taxing on a mobile video chipset. There is a free demo and benchmark tool for DMC4, you should download it and see what your performance will be like. The game is also on sale on Steam right now, less than $10.

That's what I'll do, thanks!

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Dammit, I missed the Steam sale on DMC4. What are the chances it will come back during the holidays?

Edit: Nevermind, it just doesn't come up as the sale price on the search. I'm dumb.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Iserlohn posted:

Since DMC4 is on sale, I thought I would practice with a new playthrough of DMC3. drat, I got pretty bad at the game after a year. I'm having a pretty rough time getting the hang of it after coming off of Bayonetta. Probably my biggest hang up with it is that enemies just love to attack from off screen. This would be less of an issue if the camera was at all manageable, but I guess this is one thing that is consistent with the original three games. Seriously though, I wish they took the God Hand approach to these kind of things and prevent enemies from doing charging, lunging, and projectile moves from off screen.

I'm almost sure that both DMC3 and DMC4 force enemies to show up on camera before attacking, or at least attack very rarely from off-screen. Either way there's always an audio tell as well, so keep a sharp ear open.

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core

notZaar posted:

I'm almost sure that both DMC3 and DMC4 force enemies to show up on camera before attacking, or at least attack very rarely from off-screen. Either way there's always an audio tell as well, so keep a sharp ear open.

They do. To start an attack animation they have to be on screen. Now, they can be on screen for a split second and finish the rest of the animation from off screen, but pretty much all attacks have an audio cue to go with them.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
Bayonetta seems to be more strict about it though. I think there are occasionally clipping problems with monsters not being rendered but still counting as in the viewing frustum in dmc.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Iserlohn posted:

Probably my biggest hang up with it is that enemies just love to attack from off screen. This would be less of an issue if the camera was at all manageable, but I guess this is one thing that is consistent with the original three games. Seriously though, I wish they took the God Hand approach to these kind of things and prevent enemies from doing charging, lunging, and projectile moves from off screen.

Try and listen out for their attack sounds. It makes Lusts, Enigmas and those spider things a lot easier to dodge when they attack off screen.

[e]: Beaten, many times over.

notZaar posted:

I don't care what anybody says, I think DMC3 has a great narrative. Not original or groundbreaking, but it's effective and emotional.

I think it works because it's a very simple story. It's not about cults or evil CEOs or whatever, it's about warring families, simply. It knows what sort of story it wants to tell, and it tells it pretty well.

[e2]: DmC Article

http://25.media.tumblr.com/925443a62774fb37ede238de8205ba1c/tumblr_mfcwvrH4d21ryfipvo3_1280.jpg
http://25.media.tumblr.com/b3c583fd73103ec5900bb39c83c4865b/tumblr_mfcwvrH4d21ryfipvo4_1280.jpg
http://25.media.tumblr.com/06de71cbe1fd1d61f5d885699db3d0e1/tumblr_mfcwvrH4d21ryfipvo6_1280.jpg
http://25.media.tumblr.com/edadf255748b962c33409697af3d1acf/tumblr_mfcwvrH4d21ryfipvo7_1280.jpg
http://25.media.tumblr.com/d7a72e70099933d39c08b83b7a1161f9/tumblr_mfcwvrH4d21ryfipvo8_1280.jpg

I loving hate the journalism for this game. That is literally five pages of sucking cock, and the smidgen of criticism that is "oh we didn't like part of one level", and "oh sometimes it takes a while to load".
"The 10 levels we played, leaves us hungry for more!" is not a criticism you loving hacks.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Dec 21, 2012

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy

Everyone posted:

audio tell

:doh: That was the trick! I was playing with a friend and wasn't really listening. I guess binging on RPG's in between playing action games makes you forget quite a bit.

Thanks for the help, everyone!

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Well, this thread has gotten me to buy Bayonetta and now DmC4 (also Vanquish because it's made by platinum and I heard it was great). gently caress it. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Is there still any explanation as to why you can't just tap the back buttons to change to the angel/devil weapons in DmC?

• Locked thread