Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Life Form
Jan 1, 2011

I had the same thing happening, and rebuilding the Launch Services database did fix it. Problem is, a month later and it's happening again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

Arsenic Life Form posted:

I had the same thing happening, and rebuilding the Launch Services database did fix it. Problem is, a month later and it's happening again.

I've got a launctl item that does this every 12 hours. You want a copy?

WarTribble
Sep 19, 2004
This unhelpful message has been popping up today on my desktop. Coincidentally I also installed MS Office today. I am too paranoid to click Run. Could it be an Office message or something else? (quitting Office doesn't close it).

I googled phrases from the message with no clear answers.

Hopewell
Nov 29, 2004

I killed the president of Paraguay with a fork.

WarTribble posted:

This unhelpful message has been popping up today on my desktop. Coincidentally I also installed MS Office today. I am too paranoid to click Run. Could it be an Office message or something else? (quitting Office doesn't close it).

That couldn't look sketchier unless the "Location" ended in .ru.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

Mercurius posted:

Have you got the drivers for the Samsung printer installed on Mountain Lion or did you let it pull one down from printer sharing?

I had a similar issue at work where a machine running Snow Leopard was sharing a Dymo label printer to one running ML and it was trying to pull a driver designed for snow leopard off through the printer sharing. I was able to install the driver and manually change the printer connection to use that instead which made everything work properly.

I just tried this and no dice.

Downloaded the "latest" drivers from Samsung, removed the printer and then added it while manually selecting the ML-2510 driver. Still won't let me select a custom page size. Hrmm...

WarTribble
Sep 19, 2004

Hopewell posted:

That couldn't look sketchier unless the "Location" ended in .ru.

I have quit everything and the window is still up. Is there a way to figure out what process owns it?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

WarTribble posted:

I have quit everything and the window is still up. Is there a way to figure out what process owns it?

Anything weird running in activity monitor?

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"

HATE TROLL TIM posted:

Any ideas guys? This is a real pain in the rear end. I know custom page sizes work, because if I select my label printer and pick a custom paper size then switch back to the laser printer, the custom size stays intact.

There has to be a reason the custom paper size options are greyed out on my normal printers.

I'd suggest finding the .ppd configuration file for your specific type of printer on Samsung's website, and adding/configuring the printer as a new device through the CUPS interface (http://localhost:631) in your web browser of choice, and seeing if the custom sizes can be configured that way.

WarTribble
Sep 19, 2004

ConfusedUs posted:

Anything weird running in activity monitor?

I can't tell - I'm only familiar with some of the stuff that is typically listed there. It all kinda-sorta looks "legit" to me. There's nothing composed of random characters or anything that really stands out.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Is Java running? I think I've seen some Java thing throw a dialog like that up, but maybe it was just a similar gradient background.

But yeah, for safety I'd just say "Cancel." If something doesn't work, then you can think about running it but if many posters here don't recognize it it's probably not that common (and certainly not a part of Office.)

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

I am pretty sure that is java. This is what Oracle calls a "User Interface"

WarTribble
Sep 19, 2004

carry on then posted:

Is Java running? I think I've seen some Java thing throw a dialog like that up, but maybe it was just a similar gradient background.

But yeah, for safety I'd just say "Cancel." If something doesn't work, then you can think about running it but if many posters here don't recognize it it's probably not that common (and certainly not a part of Office.)

Yes it's running. From the looks of the Java control panel it is set to pop up warnings. I'll note what I'm doing when it pops up next. I suspected it wasn't part of Office - thanks for verifying that.

quote:

Thanks I'm feeling less paranoid now. Maybe I'll just disable Java.

Edit: It's a dashboard widget called "Sunlit Earth" that's causing it. It apparently runs on Java. I've had it running for years in my dashboard and forgotten about it. I guess it's finally broken.

WarTribble fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Dec 21, 2012

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

The latest version of Pages in Lion is completely refusing to display text in documents. I know the text is there because Pages gives a correct word count and I can see that I'm selecting words if I click and drag inside the document, the display is just completely blank - no text, no insertion point, no indication that I'm selecting text without looking at the word count. It should be noted that I'm running a Lion VM inside of Fusion, which I have to think is what's causing this, even if I have no idea why.

Any thoughts on this one guys?

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Not sure if this is the right thread, but I think it is.

I'm a Windows user primarily, but bought my first Mac two years ago. The other day I stuck in a USB stick but somehow pulled it out before I had the chance to properly "eject" it. Result: my computer froze. In Windows I know what to do in these situations, but what to I do when a USB stick or a program or whatever causes my Mac to freeze up big-time?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
So about two days ago I was careless while transporting my laptop charger and crammed it into my messenger bag and pulled it out later to see this:

Is this fixable? Could a fruit stand fix this for me for less than the cost of a new charger, i.e., less than $80?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

So about two days ago I was careless while transporting my laptop charger and crammed it into my messenger bag and pulled it out later to see this:

Is this fixable? Could a fruit stand fix this for me for less than the cost of a new charger, i.e., less than $80?

The cord itself isn't hard to fix, usually, but the location of the break might prevent you from doing it.

The small cord is basically a wire within a wire. You have the insulating outer layer, then a metal layer, then another insulating layer, then a wire core.

If you can splice the wire layers from each side of the break separately (inner with inner, outer with outer) without crossing them, it will work just fine. I have one that I fixed after the dog chewed it up.

ConfusedUs fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Dec 21, 2012

Hopewell
Nov 29, 2004

I killed the president of Paraguay with a fork.

SwimNurd posted:

What the actual gently caress, Oracle. :aaa:

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

WarTribble posted:

Yeah, that's a java message of some sort.

Jesus Christ, even fake OS X malware apps look better:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

You have 3 viruses!

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

SwimNurd posted:

What the hell is the deal with Oracle? Their UI/UX skills are far worse than "zero" - it's like they actively try to have as lovely interfaces as is humanly possible. Does it translate to additional consulting revenue or something?

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Bob Morales posted:

You have 3 viruses!

I can't wait until tech support scammers start targetting Macs.
"Sir, if you would type c-o-n-s-o-l-e and hit enter you can see all the viruses we have detected on your machine"

WarTribble
Sep 19, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

You have 3 viruses!

I like how it says "Unfortunately..." So understated.

That Mac Security interface does look a lot better. The exclamation mark icon is the only part that looks off. Pretty sad Oracle.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Xabi posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread, but I think it is.

I'm a Windows user primarily, but bought my first Mac two years ago. The other day I stuck in a USB stick but somehow pulled it out before I had the chance to properly "eject" it. Result: my computer froze. In Windows I know what to do in these situations, but what to I do when a USB stick or a program or whatever causes my Mac to freeze up big-time?

Did you get the "Your computer needs to be restarted" message or something along those lines? That's a kernel panic, roughly the equivalent of the good old blue screen in Windows. In my experience OS X tends to be touchy about filesystem stuff - failing to properly eject mounted drives is probably one of the more common causes of kernel panics, and just recently I got one while trying to mount my FTP server as a disk with Transmit. In any case, just restart and you should be fine.

taint toucher
Sep 23, 2004

Lexicon posted:

What the hell is the deal with Oracle? Their UI/UX skills are far worse than "zero" - it's like they actively try to have as lovely interfaces as is humanly possible. Does it translate to additional consulting revenue or something?

It's Oracle so the answer has to be yes.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
my favourite terrible oracle software was report builder because it combined the frustration of using a broken quark express clone with the frustration of writing pl/sql

also it was so terrible that it would actively gently caress other programs running at the time

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I'm trying to share my wifi over ethernet on my Macbook Pro to my Raspberry Pi - what's the trick to getting Internet Sharing to work again? I can set it up in 5 minutes in Linux but I don't think I've ever gotten in working in OS X. My Mac's ethernet port always ends up stuck as 169.x.x.x

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

I'm trying to share my wifi over ethernet on my Macbook Pro to my Raspberry Pi - what's the trick to getting Internet Sharing to work again? I can set it up in 5 minutes in Linux but I don't think I've ever gotten in working in OS X. My Mac's ethernet port always ends up stuck as 169.x.x.x
System Preferences -> Sharing -> Internet Sharing

Just turn it on there. That should be it. I've had mixed success sharing WiFi for whatever reason though; the item just unchecks itself randomly and it quits routing between the interfaces.

If you're still getting the link-local IP address on Ethernet, try setting a manual IP on both devices.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Is your adapter the older T style (with a white end) or the newer L style (with a silver end)?

This is kind of treading a moral grey area so I don't exactly want to condone this, but there is a power adapter replacement program for T style adapters only with 'strain relief' near the MagSafe end.

Obviously this isn't what you've experienced (and any worthwhile Genius should know that), but it does mean that there is a simple, one-click method for them to give you a free adapter if you're friendly and get a nice Genius who feels like it. When I worked there I'd pretty much always give out free adapters for this kind of issue because 1) it seems bullshit to me to charge people $70 (I think?) for something that can easily happen due to wear and tear, 2) it's a quick and painless way of making somebody's day (which was what the whole Apple Store was supposed to be about in the heady Ron Johnson days, grr), and 3) the 'free' method is way quicker to process than charging somebody money, thus reclaiming precious minutes from the queue.

TACD fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Dec 22, 2012

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Cyne posted:

Did you get the "Your computer needs to be restarted" message or something along those lines? That's a kernel panic, roughly the equivalent of the good old blue screen in Windows. In my experience OS X tends to be touchy about filesystem stuff - failing to properly eject mounted drives is probably one of the more common causes of kernel panics, and just recently I got one while trying to mount my FTP server as a disk with Transmit. In any case, just restart and you should be fine.
No, no messages, just a proper freeze. Ended up restarting, but that's sort of a hazzle. Isn't there an easier way out?

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Xabi posted:

No, no messages, just a proper freeze. Ended up restarting, but that's sort of a hazzle. Isn't there an easier way out?

This probably isn't something you should be dealing with often enough to need a workaround - if it keeps happening, that's a sign that there is something going on and we can help you troubleshoot from there. I can't remember if I've ever had OS X straight up freeze on me - it might have happened once when the memory in my old PowerBook was going bad, but it's definitely not a common occurrence.

strokevictim
Oct 9, 2000

Action Jackson! posted:

It's Oracle so the answer has to be yes.

To be fair, Java UI stuff sucked long before Oracle got their paws on things. One example of griping about it (and other non-native UI) from years back:
http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2007/02/non-native-ui-sucks.html

Rarely have I ever looked at a Java app and said "This is beautiful"

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

TACD posted:

Is your adapter the older T style (with a white end) or the newer L style (with a silver end)?

This is kind of treading a moral grey area so I don't exactly want to condone this, but there is a power adapter replacement program for T style adapters only with 'strain relief' near the MagSafe end.

Since I don't have any experience splicing cables myself, I think I will definitely keep this in mind when I go to the apple store tomorrow, even though I have the newer L cable. If they don't do it, then I'll call around to some other computer repair shops and see if they'll fix it for less than the cost of a new charger.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

~Coxy posted:

Anyone know of a secure webform password saving scriptlet for Safari?
I think this is the extension I have, it doesn't get everything but gets more than Safari normally does:
http://lapcatsoftware.com/blog/2010/06/10/safari-extension-autocomplete/

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?

Since I don't have any experience splicing cables myself, I think I will definitely keep this in mind when I go to the apple store tomorrow, even though I have the newer L cable. If they don't do it, then I'll call around to some other computer repair shops and see if they'll fix it for less than the cost of a new charger.

I have this problem on the connector end of my cable, I've got to go to the Apple store to get my 2011 MBA's battery replaced at some point (it lasts 1 hour max and shows 'service battery') so I might ask about this as well. Unfortunately I've had this laptop for over a year now and couldn't afford to buy applecare before it ended, so it'll probably end up costing me a bomb :(

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Cyne posted:

This probably isn't something you should be dealing with often enough to need a workaround - if it keeps happening, that's a sign that there is something going on and we can help you troubleshoot from there. I can't remember if I've ever had OS X straight up freeze on me - it might have happened once when the memory in my old PowerBook was going bad, but it's definitely not a common occurrence.
Ok, that's good to hear. Thanks!

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Gism0 posted:

I have this problem on the connector end of my cable, I've got to go to the Apple store to get my 2011 MBA's battery replaced at some point (it lasts 1 hour max and shows 'service battery') so I might ask about this as well. Unfortunately I've had this laptop for over a year now and couldn't afford to buy applecare before it ended, so it'll probably end up costing me a bomb :(

I got my T-connector replaced with the new L-connector for free just by dropping by the Apple Store one time, and got my battery replaced at the time (had the same "Service Battery" indicator in the Battery status menu item, and the charge it held was only down something like 1 hour from where it should've been). This was one of the last few days before my AppleCare ran out though; best of luck that it won't be too expensive for you.

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?

Abjad Soup posted:

I got my T-connector replaced with the new L-connector for free just by dropping by the Apple Store one time, and got my battery replaced at the time (had the same "Service Battery" indicator in the Battery status menu item, and the charge it held was only down something like 1 hour from where it should've been). This was one of the last few days before my AppleCare ran out though; best of luck that it won't be too expensive for you.

Cheers! Was that a macbook air? I have the 2011 sandy bridge i7 version. If so did you notice that it ran a lot hotter than usual?

The top left area, where the power adapter connects, gets incredibly hot. I can't even hold my finger there for more than a couple seconds and i've noticed the CPU got to 93°c the other day, I was just browsing the web!

The weather here has been between 33°c and 40°c lately so I expect the temperatures to be a little higher than normal, but 93°c is kind of ridiculous. The computer has felt slow and sluggish recently too with way too much beachballin' for my liking. I'm guessing the heat is causing the cpu to be under-clocked, assuming it supports that feature..

Really wish I'd bought AppleCare..

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Holy cow.

I'm in the apple store right now and not only did they replace my charger for free, but they also replaced the rubber mat underneath my late 2009 MacBook which had been warped from playing Civ 5 on my bed (that is, not on a hard surface) except they insisted that it wasn't my fault and that everything was covered by some obscure policy they have on those models that's effective regardless of my warranty, which had long run out.

Best Apple Store experience ever. And I didn't even have AppleCare.

Jedi Knight Luigi fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Dec 22, 2012

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
I love hearing Apple stories :allears:

I haven't heard many negative Apple Store experiences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

So i just updated to 10.8.2 from 10.6. I had "BetterTouchTool" setup so that a three-finger tap was a middle-click but it's not working after the update. I tried using MagicPrefs instead but it won't let me set up any tap gestures; they're all greyed out and it looks like this vvv. Any idea what the problem is? How can I get three-finger tap to do a middle-click again?

Edit: Downloaded the App "Middleclick" and it opens links in a new tab and in the current tab on three-finger taps =[

Pertplus fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Dec 22, 2012