Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

That was the case in the first SotS as well, and the developers eventually responded that there was no way to fix the issue. What really bugs me is when I can't drop out of accelerated time, even though I'm very much in combat and getting blown up by missiles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe_Richter
Oct 8, 2005

Laser Lenin approves of hobo murder simulators.

Arglebargle III posted:

Also, I'm super tired of the whole patrol-2 turns thing where it includes the flight time back to base so that when you get to the pre-battle screen you get to go "whaaat... gently caress" when your defense fleet fucks off back to base.

This is one of my biggest annoyances as well, especially with non Hivers who have a variable number turns return trip.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I wish the autoresolve AI wasn't so painfully bad.

It literally takes my ten ships, splits them up into three groups. One fucks off left, one fucks off right, the third does loops and spins and generally goes nowhere. They usually leave my CnC and/or gate (as Hiver) totally exposed.

It's easier for me to say I'll control the battle, accelerate time and alt-tab in most defensive autoresolve situations.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

For Loa especially the turn estimates are completely wrong. 18 turn patrol often seems to turn out to actually be one turn. I put a supply in now whether or not the fleet it looks like it needs one if I need them to stick around.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Nuclearmonkee posted:

For Loa especially the turn estimates are completely wrong. 18 turn patrol often seems to turn out to actually be one turn. I put a supply in now whether or not the fleet it looks like it needs one if I need them to stick around.

The Loa use a different way of consuming\using supply than everyone else. No I don't know what's different or how.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Loa travel times are pit-traps too. Forgot you've not yet dropped a gate on that planet you wanted to survey? Whoops, the survey mission travel time still assumes you're gating back. Enjoy a 30-turn slowboat.

It's particularly stupid because your fleet should be able to build a gate to go home through, but can't.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Talkie Toaster posted:

Loa travel times are pit-traps too. Forgot you've not yet dropped a gate on that planet you wanted to survey? Whoops, the survey mission travel time still assumes you're gating back. Enjoy a 30-turn slowboat.

It's particularly stupid because your fleet should be able to build a gate to go home through, but can't.

Just like the Hivers they need a survey/gate hybrid mission. You shouldn't have to gently caress around with 2 fleets in the Loa's case or make a 2nd trip as Hivers.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Just like the Hivers they need a survey/gate hybrid mission. You shouldn't have to gently caress around with 2 fleets in the Loa's case or make a 2nd trip as Hivers.

You can do both as Hivers. A survey fleet will have the same travel time as the gate fleet.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Taerkar posted:

You can do both as Hivers. A survey fleet will have the same travel time as the gate fleet.

Indeed, but the fact that the gate fleet can't survey before dropping the gate is annoying.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Agreed. I was so hopeful that the new fleet order thing would allow for queuing, but no such luck.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Taerkar posted:

Agreed. I was so hopeful that the new fleet order thing would allow for queuing, but no such luck.

Now sir, I'll have you know that supply constraints are required for your whimsical alien space bugs equipped with relativistic drives and magical teleportation. If they didn't have to go home after every mission it would ruin my immersion.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Indeed, but the fact that the gate fleet can't survey before dropping the gate is annoying.

You know you can drop a Gate before the Survey right? Once you've dropped a Gate, the Survey is going to take 1 turn travel time, which is practically nothing.

And about Invasions - you really don't need 3 fleets to kill a developed colony, and if you do, there's something seriously going wrong somewhere. At most you need 2 fleets at once - a combat fleet to clean out defenders, and an invasion fleet stacked to the limit with assault shuttles. The only situation in which you'll need more is in case of Homeworlds or systems with multiple planets that are in missile range of each other.

Or huge tech disparity I suppose.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Dec 19, 2012

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Taerkar posted:

Queuing orders is so 2003. In the future realism will demand that everything is done in real time.

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
It feels like Loa are too different from the other races to ever be balanced correctly.

Then again, the game crashes on me every time a Hiver gate is built so I guess balance issues are the least of my worries.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I've also noticed that while Loa ships are pretty fragile they seem to have tons of gun mounts, like, way more than most other races seem to have. Their cruiser Strafe module is insane. Having a Large mount on their cruiser engines is pretty handy too.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Neruz posted:

I've also noticed that while Loa ships are pretty fragile they seem to have tons of gun mounts, like, way more than most other races seem to have. Their cruiser Strafe module is insane. Having a Large mount on their cruiser engines is pretty handy too.

They have Zuul weaponry at even-worse-than-Zuul armor (which is slightly helped in chases by the thin shape). They also share the Zuul PD issues.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe
A patch appears;

-----

Critical fixes:
- Fixed combat CTD.
- Fixed destroyed system CTD.
- Fixed CTD in build screen.
- Fixed Loa CTD when doing NPG gate mission from destroyed planet.

Other fixes:
- Fixed able to set missile to PD.
- Fixed selected groups ignoring combat planes to which they are set.
- Fixed "stop" speech event.
- Fixed "defeated pirate base" being spammed 3x when it is defeated.
- Fixed AI colonizing hostile systems.
- Fixed case where AI would have a fleet with no command ship.
- Fixed issue that would cause too many locust scouts.
- Fixed case where randoms could be flagged as neutral.
- Fixed VN Pyramids not firing at planet.
- Fixed Loa not spawning next to their gates.
- Fixed AI not launching battlecruisers and battleships.
- Fixed AI not launching riders in some cases.
- Fixed Loa not properly removing cubes for ship damages.
- Fixed ships flying into locust moons.

Other changes and additions:
- Fixed various strings.
- Windowed fullscreen support.
- Revamped post-combat screen.
- "C" button in chat now connects/disconnects from chat.
- Double pressing 1-0 will focus on the ship group instead of whenever you press the button.
- Starmap now remembers if fleet/planet tab was last selected.
- Added a hot key to exit accelerated time.
-----

Stealth items changed;

mecron posted:

Morrigi speeds are now working as intended. Humans got a small speed increase. Some small economic changes were made but you may not notice.

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
How did this game uninstall itself from my steam games list.

:iiam:

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Horsebanger posted:

How did this game uninstall itself from my steam games list.

:iiam:

Given SotS2, I'm not sure if you're making a joke about how you uninstalled the game because of bugs, or if your game has genuinely managed to uninstall itself.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Do I still have the capability of researching Latin and having it blow up in my face if I put too much money into it?

Keisari
May 24, 2011

TalonDemonKing posted:

Do I still have the capability of researching Latin and having it blow up in my face if I put too much money into it?

Sadly no, since the language techs have been scrapped. But there are political techs so researching economics could potentially explode.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

quote:

Morrigi speeds are now working as intended.

Goddamnit. I don't know whether this is going to be good or bad but I'm not happy about it 210 turns into my Morrigi game.

Where can I see hotkeys, I don't see them in the in-game options menu or the pre-game options menu.

AlanFrost
Nov 16, 2012
Hotkeys are on the last pages of the game manuals, IIRC.

To rebind them (or find out about the new ones that aren't in the manual, now that I think about your question), you might be able to edit a config file or something.

Keisari
May 24, 2011

No, there is a specific menu to change hotkey binds. You must do it inside a game-save. You can change most of the hotkeys, but the sad part is that not the ones that matter. No hotkeys for your psi abilities or goop modules, sorry!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Never researched either one, so :shepface:

(are they good?)

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The effectiveness of Goop modules depends on what you're facing. They can replenish damaged armor in battle and thus are more effective the better your armor is. If you've got the top tier of armor that adds an extra invuln level they're better, they're better on dreads due to the extra invuln layer they get versus cruisers.

Keisari posted:

No, there is a specific menu to change hotkey binds. You must do it inside a game-save. You can change most of the hotkeys, but the sad part is that not the ones that matter. No hotkeys for your psi abilities or goop modules, sorry!

Goop modules have an automatic trigger if you choose. They'll activate at 50%.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

Never researched either one, so :shepface:

(are they good?)

If you can get the Repair Psi-ability you can keep a ship alive as long as it's psi-power bar lasts. It's like an infinite (bar-based) goop module. Just turns all your red armor green starting with the deepest damage.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

Goddamnit. I don't know whether this is going to be good or bad but I'm not happy about it 210 turns into my Morrigi game.

Where can I see hotkeys, I don't see them in the in-game options menu or the pre-game options menu.

It just fixed the flock bonus, which was uncapped regardless of whether you researched the uncapping tech. It's about a 1ly reduction in speed on full CR fleets, which isn't that major.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

So what is the new toggle for accelerated time? I'm slowboating across a system with no enemies in sight now. Well, not across so much as a quarter of the way into. In five minutes.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Arglebargle III posted:

So what is the new toggle for accelerated time? I'm slowboating across a system with no enemies in sight now.

You can hit options to bring up the keybinds from the main menu.

Last time I checked it was + / - (the ones next to the backspace, not on the keypad).

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Thanks! But unfortunately that doesn't help me move across a system without running out the clock. I'm not getting AT at all.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Keisari posted:

Sadly no, since the language techs have been scrapped.

This completely destroys my immersion. I'm not sure can ever get emotionally invested in this series again.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

So what is the new toggle for accelerated time? I'm slowboating across a system with no enemies in sight now. Well, not across so much as a quarter of the way into. In five minutes.

If you can't get into accelerated time there's probably combat going on somewhere in the system. It's possible the AI is fighting another AI or a menace on the other side of the sun or somewhere else out of your sensor range.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I killed the Ghost Ship finally. All it took was some torpedo platforms and a fusion cannon fleet. I'm still bitter about how the Tarka keep taking planets that I conquered.

What's the income level you should be looking at before switching to dreadnoughts?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I got the "More agile" trait on my projector dreads as Hiver. That thing is more maneuverable now than my cruisers.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

I killed the Ghost Ship finally. All it took was some torpedo platforms and a fusion cannon fleet. I'm still bitter about how the Tarka keep taking planets that I conquered.

What's the income level you should be looking at before switching to dreadnoughts?

Generally it's worth going for dreads once you can field decent CRs and have basic econ/production techs done. Even if you don't have the tech/money to make really good dreads, converting your CnCs to dreads is worth the cost for obvious reasons.

With some races I generally don't even focus on using dreads as main combat line ships and stick with CRs.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I think they wanted to make CRs still viable in the late game.

Sinister_Beekeeper
Oct 20, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

+ and - , but sometimes it works for me and sometimes it does not.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
How do you check your ships and prototypes for special abilities and weaknesses? What screen is it on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eliza
Feb 20, 2011

Sibling of TB posted:

How do you check your ships and prototypes for special abilities and weaknesses? What screen is it on?

It's on the Design screen, and should also be on the Build screen. Note that you cannot know design attributes right off the bat! Unless you have Virtual Engineering researched, you'll have to bring the ship into a fight first. If you do have Virtual Engineering, prototyping a design will be sufficient.

• Locked thread