Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I love the people going on and on about the music and over-the-top style of a Baz Luhrman flick that's adapting a story all about partying and decadence covering emptiness. Of course it's going to cater to the modern club and pop scenes and evoke the madcap parties of today and yesteryear--aside from being great marketing at getting people into seats it might actually make one or two of them think after they see just how unhappy almost everyone in The Great Gatsby really is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Movie looks pretty funny.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I like the contrast between the glossy, airbrushed faces and Wasikowska's hosed up hands.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Vagabundo posted:

I like the contrast between the glossy, airbrushed faces and Wasikowska's hosed up hands.

Is this the movie of a girl with a deformed tiny hand?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

I liked the other poster for Stoker, the one where the focus is on Wasikowska and Kidman's and Goode's faces could only be seen in the reflection on the table. I'm sure that was an interesting away to get around the contract stipulations, but it probably wasn't enough.

For reference...

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Dec 22, 2012

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

PaganGoatPants posted:

Movie looks pretty funny.

The first time I saw a small thumbnail version of the Carell poster, I thought it was starring Christoph Waltz.

AND MY MIND WAS BLOWN.

AndyP
Nov 7, 2011

Vagabundo posted:

That movie was written by Wentworth Miller?

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

AndyP posted:

Looks like he's Prison Break-ing out into screenwriting! :shalit:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

AndyP posted:

And it's the Oldboy director's first film in english.
Apparently Mr. Prison Break's script was on one of those greatest unproduced screenplays lists before it got bought.

edit: He does have an extremely authorly name.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Vagabundo posted:

This feels too polished for me. Also the words look like a tagline from Disaster Movie or something. I like the other poster, it was freaky as hell the first time I saw it and noticed the details (reflections, blood on face).

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Every time I see anything for Stoker, for a second I think it's a movie about Bram Stoker. Then I remember it's not, and I get sad.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

And it's the Oldboy director's first film in english.
Apparently Mr. Prison Break's script was on one of those greatest unproduced screenplays lists before it got bought.

edit: He does have an extremely authorly name.

I guess it goes with his computer-generated face.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

The trailer for that film was incredibly awkward to watch alone with my favourite uncle.

:j: "Oh hey! That one's by the director of Oldboy, I gotta watch the trailer for that."
:v: *clicks on the trailer*

:j:
:v:

:v: "Aaaaaand with that I'm going to bed goodnight see you tomorrow!!!"

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Nuclear Pogostick posted:

I also really want this poster as I mentioned, but they're loving 400 dollars on ebay. Mondo really needs to do reprints from time to time :argh:

Man, it takes a lot of hard work to make Olivia Wilde look ugly, but man, this poster managed to make her unrecognisable. :corrupt:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

mind the walrus posted:

I love the people going on and on about the music and over-the-top style of a Baz Luhrman flick that's adapting a story all about partying and decadence covering emptiness. Of course it's going to cater to the modern club and pop scenes and evoke the madcap parties of today and yesteryear--aside from being great marketing at getting people into seats it might actually make one or two of them think after they see just how unhappy almost everyone in The Great Gatsby really is.
Using modern music really isn't that different from updating people's vocabularies, when dealing with a historic period. Words that once had a lot of power behind them are now toothless, making a tough character seem like a boring old fart. Likewise, music that was the height of cool in the period might easily remind people of their (great) grandma, who for most people is decidedly uncool. It's basically choosing an "authentic atmosphere" over an authentic sound.

(The last "song" in the second trailer is garbage though)

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I wish in that Stoker piano poster it wasn't just a tacked on afterthought to a photoshoot and they actually played up on how reflections work.
Like, if you are looking straight at the camera you wouldn't also be looking at the camera in your reflection. It's a new angle, so how about the protagonist girl is looking at us straight-on, with her eyes naturally cast up in the angle of the reflection, but Kidman and other dude are looking at us through the the piano.

Here's a feeble edit on the girl to sort of illustrate it.

Of course they have to know what they were doing ahead of time and shoot an upwards facing angle to fake the reflection right.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Dec 22, 2012

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

TheJoker138 posted:

Every time I see anything for Stoker, for a second I think it's a movie about Bram Stoker. Then I remember it's not, and I get sad.

Bram Stoker lived a dull and unexciting life. How can you not get exited that we're getting a new movie by Park Chan-wook?

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Alhazred posted:

Bram Stoker lived a dull and unexciting life. How can you not get exited that we're getting a new movie by Park Chan-wook?

I am kind of annoyed his actual name is absolutely nowhere to be seen in those posters, he's apparently just "the director of Oldboy". He's a well-known dude, poster people. People who know what Oldboy is very probably know who Park Chan-wook is, as well.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Well, it's 6:45am, and I've been at work for almost 3 hours now. On the Saturday before Christmas. Needless to say, there's nothing to do, so I'm looking at the internet. Came across this and thought you guys might like them.

http://www.shortlist.com/entertainment/films/the-10-best-alternative-film-posters-of-2012

I particularly like the Dark Knight Rises, Avengers, and Room 237 ones.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Forktoss posted:

I am kind of annoyed his actual name is absolutely nowhere to be seen in those posters, he's apparently just "the director of Oldboy".

Yeah, it's a real shame that Spike Lee isn't getting his due.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Mister Chief posted:

Yeah, it's a real shame that Spike Lee isn't getting his due.

I seriously thought at first that Stoker was from whatever no-name director helming the remake and they were just trying to ride on the Oldboy name, but then I realised Spike Lee is directing the remake and everything made even less sense.

EDIT: VVV I'm not outraged by it or anything, it just annoyed me a bit. But now that you mention it, the Gatsby posters from a page or two back also just say "From the director of Romeo+Juliet and Moulin Rouge" and make no mention of Luhrman by name, and he's probably an even bigger name than Park. So yeah, I guess it's just a thing that happens.

Forktoss fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Dec 22, 2012

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

But who usually gets 'From __ the visionary director of __'? Unless your name has just as much stock as your well known movie it probably doesn't happen.
Be glad he got that. The "I Saw The Devil" director has the new Schwarzenegger movie and the guy who did "The Host" has something next year. Let's see if they get that much recognition.

The audiences are being directed to his stuff. They're told there's acclaim. It's fine.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Dec 22, 2012

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

It always bothered that Bong Joon-ho is always associated with The Host when Memories of Murder and Mother are both about a million times better.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Mister Chief posted:

It always bothered that Bong Joon-ho is always associated with The Host when Memories of Murder and Mother are both about a million times better.

That's because The Host was the biggest Korean movie of all time for a bit.

If you want people to come to a director's movies, you want to associate them with something they're aware of even if they don't normally watch movies. "Highest-grossing movie" tends to be something everyone hears about.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

The Host wasn't even released theatrically in America dude. Joe Public has never heard of The Host so I would put the name of his most critically acclaimed film on posters for his future films.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

You must hate that movie.
It's obviously his most recognized, which is the only reason I listed it from amongst his credits. They've just made an awful looking sequel which doesn't seem to happen to a lot of Korean films.

Anyway, to tie into the topic his english language debut sounds pretty good.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow_Piercer

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

AndyP posted:

You saying that made me look closer at the poster and I just realized that the soundtrack is by Clint Mansell. Now I kind of have to see this movie.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Mister Chief posted:

The Host wasn't even released theatrically in America dude. Joe Public has never heard of The Host so I would put the name of his most critically acclaimed film on posters for his future films.

They put it out in a limited release a few months before releasing the DVD, and it grossed a couple million bucks.

All of his movies have played in America at some point. The Host is far and away the most successful.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Teenage Fansub posted:

The "I Saw The Devil" director has the new Schwarzenegger movie and the guy who did "The Host" has something next year. Let's see if they get that much recognition.

All the trailers for The Last stand have pointed out in very large text that it's a new movie from Kim Jee-Woon, so I have a feeling they are. :v:

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Teenage Fansub posted:

You must hate that movie.
It's obviously his most recognized, which is the only reason I listed it from amongst his credits. They've just made an awful looking sequel which doesn't seem to happen to a lot of Korean films.

Don't fool yourself, SK has a lot of awful sequels, though mostly comedies

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Mister Chief posted:

Yeah it was. I saw it in a theater in Bumfuck, S.C. with my mom and she loved it.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Mister Chief posted:

Okay, I don't think anyone asked why you shouldn't be in charge of marketing things though.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

10 Beers posted:

Well, it's 6:45am, and I've been at work for almost 3 hours now. On the Saturday before Christmas. Needless to say, there's nothing to do, so I'm looking at the internet. Came across this and thought you guys might like them.

http://www.shortlist.com/entertainment/films/the-10-best-alternative-film-posters-of-2012

Dammit, it's spelled "Spider-Man!" :goonsay:

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

10 Beers posted:

If these are the 10 Best, I'd hate to see the 10 Worst.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Android Bicyclist posted:

Nah, he's Jewish. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wgnQH5H6GE&t=683s

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

10 Beers posted:

Jesus Christ, all of these save the Room 237 ones are awful. The Hunger Games one might be one of the worst, ugliest posters I have ever seen.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

GonSmithe posted:

The Hunger Games one might be one of the worst, ugliest posters I have ever seen.
Then you clearly haven't seen this other masterpiece from the same site.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Android Bicyclist posted:

This is awful. Why the tiny "the" billboard?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Out of all those the Batman one was the only halfway decent design. The rest look like entry level art school bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

beanieson posted:

This is awful. Why the tiny "the" billboard?

THE
MARVEL STUDIOS
THE AMAZING
SPIDERMAN

That poster is awful.