Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
If Tanii isn't the culprit I'll be severely disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

What game is this?

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Mister Chief posted:

What game is this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valkyrie_no_B%C5%8Dken:_Toki_no_Kagi_Densetsu

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"

Crotch Bat posted:

If Tanii isn't the culprit I'll be severely disappointed.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news then.

We weren't able to solve the mystery since the hint was a nickname Zari-gani never explained. :colbert: It was "Domidore" or something like that. They took pity on us dumb gaijin though and gave us the card anyway.

I broke down and bought the messenger bag, since I was thinking about getting one anyway and had a hard time finding regular ones for less than 4,000 yen.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

leather fedora posted:

We weren't able to solve the mystery since the hint was a nickname Zari-gani never explained. :colbert: It was "Domidore" or something like that. They took pity on us dumb gaijin though and gave us the card anyway.

Was I supposed to explain something? I didn't get any messages or e-mails.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Jesus, how does Warukyuure read as Valkyrie, gently caress. Katakana can be such a bitch.

leather fedora posted:

Wasn't that the nickname Arino gave his Link for LTTP? I think it was translated as slacker or lowlife or something like that.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Katana Gomai posted:

Wasn't that the nickname Arino gave his Link for LTTP? I think it was translated as slacker or lowlife or something like that.

Demodori? That would be none other than Toujima.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

Katana Gomai posted:

Jesus, how does Warukyuure read as Valkyrie, gently caress. Katakana can be such a bitch.

I assume it's by way of Walkure, the German form of the name.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

zari-gani posted:

There's been a twitter account set up just for this event. Some pictures there. Looks like the six staff members around Akihabara are Tanii, Urakawa, Itou, Matsui, Tsuruoka, and Takahashi.

The flyer for the event:

Dammit. I had Suda pegged as the killer. You just know that he's a seething cauldron of barely controlled rage.

It's got to be Itou. He's the only one that carries a gun...

Katana Gomai posted:

I suspect that it was katakana-ized from German instead of English...

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

It's got to be Itou. He's the only one that carries a gun...

:colbert:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Abe is above suspicion.

The prime suspect right there. He's got motive, too, since he's been recently dropped from the show...

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

zari-gani posted:

Demodori? That would be none other than Toujima.

Yeah Demodori, that was it! Do you remember how you translated it because I can't check right now (at work) and it's driving me mental. :shobon:

Benly posted:

I assume it's by way of Walkure, the German form of the name.

Random Stranger posted:

I suspect that it was katakana-ized from German instead of English...

That makes so much sense, and I am German. Ugh. (Walküre - Warukyuure) I'm just used to almost all of the Katakana loans being of English decent but given the fact that it's German mythology I should have figured.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Katana Gomai posted:

Yeah Demodori, that was it! Do you remember how you translated it because I can't check right now (at work) and it's driving me mental. :shobon:

Deadbeat

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

Random Stranger posted:

Abe is above suspicion.

The prime suspect right there. He's got motive, too, since he's been recently dropped from the show...
That would be the best cop buddy TV show/movie ever. Abe would be the badass veteran cop who doesn't play by the rules and the AD (I don't recognize him, but I think I do remember that scene :ohdear:) is the by-the-book rookie who tries too hard to be as badass as Abe.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

Mister Chief posted:

What game is this?

I like this game. It's like a kinda poopy Zelda. I never got far in it though. I wouldn't be surprised if from watching Arino play, I learn about some horrible bullshit that you must do to beat it that kills any charm I saw in it (like what happened when I watched Challenger and Tower of Druaga).

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

drat, I was so close. Thanks for saving my brain.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Here's the Xmas & New Years card designed by Arino for correctly guessing Toujima as the killer.

And here's what I drew in the card I sent to Gascoin Company.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Is he fighting the snake with nunchucks?

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Giant Bomb was doing a famicom/super famicom live stream and this game came up and I thought Arino might have challenged it but I guess not.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Tobaccrow posted:

I like this game. It's like a kinda poopy Zelda. I never got far in it though. I wouldn't be surprised if from watching Arino play, I learn about some horrible bullshit that you must do to beat it that kills any charm I saw in it (like what happened when I watched Challenger and Tower of Druaga).

The Valkyrie game for Famicom predates Zelda, if I recall correctly. I've definitely played it but don't remember enjoying it a whole lot.

The arcade/TG16 game is a top-down, kinda-scrolling kinda-shooter, like Ikki if Ikki wasn't unforgivably terrible.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Is Tanii XL shirt no longer for sale at the events? :saddowns: It's probably _the_ piece of merchandise I'd be willing to pay overseas shipping for.

jyrque fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Dec 22, 2012

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Has anyone told Abe what Trigger Discipline is

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Chococat posted:

Last chance! Email in the next five minutes or forever hold your peace!!

EDIT and done!
Man, why am I always asleep when these opportunities to get GCCX swag happen. :sigh:

Chococat
Aug 22, 2000
Forum Veteran

You had 23 hours to get on the pin preorder or to notice I was going to an event so you only have yourself to blame :frogout:

For those of you who did manage to get an order in please reply to your email convo with your zipcode and country thank you!

Chococat fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Dec 22, 2012

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"

zari-gani posted:

Was I supposed to explain something? I didn't get any messages or e-mails.
No, it was just a joke. An incorrect one, since now that you explained it, I do recall a number of times when Arino used it, mostly in the LttP episode. Sorry. v:shobon:v

But like I said, no big deal anyway. I'm sure if I had looked it up in a dictionary, it would've come up, but I was thinking it was a name so I didn't bother.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Chococat posted:

You had 23 hours to get on the pin preorder or to notice I was going to an event so you only have yourself to blame :frogout:

For those of you who did manage to get an order in please reply to your email convo with your zipcode and country thank you!

Was the "got it" you replied to my email with meaning you had in fact read my email or that I was in time to get a surplus pin? :shobon:

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I thought it was interesting to see someone with an NES messenger bag at the event.

Chococat
Aug 22, 2000
Forum Veteran

If I replied to your email in any way I have your stuff. The only people who got out of stock emails have other stuff on order.

In case any of you were curious about the size of the entire haul...

Chococat fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Dec 26, 2012

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Edit: nm

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

Would you be able to ship the pin badges to the UK?

Chococat
Aug 22, 2000
Forum Veteran

Yes but you're likely to end up paying more in postage than the pins cost. :(

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

jyrque posted:

Is Tanii XL shirt no longer for sale at the events? :saddowns: It's probably _the_ piece of merchandise I'd be willing to pay overseas shipping for.
Ironically, for a long time there it looked like it was the only thing they had tons of. They couldn't give them away! (Well, they could--during "Singing About Whatever the Hell You Want", for example. But even then it felt like a booby prize.)

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Has anyone told Abe what Trigger Discipline is

It's Japan, man. The only real guns in that picture are between his shoulders and elbows.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"

Mister Chief posted:

I thought it was interesting to see someone with an NES messenger bag at the event.
I've seen a few stores around Akiba selling US Nintendo merchandise, like t-shirts and toys, so there was very likely an outlet for that bag too.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

zari-gani posted:

Here's the Xmas & New Years card designed by Arino for correctly guessing Toujima as the killer.

And here's what I drew in the card I sent to Gascoin Company.

As a Megaman/Rockman fan, I love the Arino Snakeman fanart by zarigani. Can't wait for the show to do Megaman 5 next year! Does anyone know if GCCX is doing anything for New Year's this year.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
I don't know how many people here generally follow speedruns, but there's an annual marathon that SDA does in January which includes a ton of popular retro games like your Ninja Gaidens, your Megamans, and this year, even Umihara Kawase. The details can be found at the link above for those interested.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

leather fedora posted:

No, it was just a joke. An incorrect one, since now that you explained it, I do recall a number of times when Arino used it, mostly in the LttP episode. Sorry. v:shobon:v

Oh okay, I was afraid I had missed something! I was sick in bed the entirety of yesterday but I came online around the time of the event just in case. That's nice of them to have given you a card anyway.

Here's some photos of the charity bazaar, with used books from the staff and show memorabilia (unfortunately not for sale!).

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
I am in love with your Arino Snake Man, zari-gani. Overly in love.

Then again, I'm the only idiot I know of with a Snake Man tattoo. :v:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

zari-gani posted:

Here's some photos of the charity bazaar, with used books from the staff and show memorabilia (unfortunately not for sale!).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

zari-gani posted:

Oh okay, I was afraid I had missed something! I was sick in bed the entirety of yesterday but I came online around the time of the event just in case. That's nice of them to have given you a card anyway.

Thanks a lot for being so willing to help us out! It was okay in the end apart from us not remembering that nickname.

We got a few comments here and there about being international and it was meeting the ADs in and aaround the weird streets of Akihabara.

Here's a few pics I took at the bazaar.

Arino really had a clear out it seems

Bought Survive Style

Zari-gani - They're still making use of your great picture! This was right by the entrance.