Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Diver Dick posted:

I have no idea if any cemeteries are nearby. I am near Cleveland, Ohio. Maybe someone can confirm this as being an official military grave marker:

Mind giving some more info on the location you found this? This is still bugging me because it's turning into a right mystery.

Google's not turning anything up in the hundreds of millions of death records and especially military-specific ones that it indexes with a straight name search. I'd like to try locating any nearby cemeteries and searching their records directly.

e: this is the best I got. It requires a paid trial to see the actual record but the result for military veteran headstone applications is probably right on the money, given the year cited.

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Dec 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
So I was thinking of starting up a thread about this all its own, but I figure here is a better place to just flat-out ask.

I saw some commentary in previous posts about military fiction/cinema, and I was wondering a couple things.

1) What do people in the military hate (or just get annoyed by) the most in military fiction/movies/tv (cliches/character archetypes/what have you)?
2) What do you love seeing?
3) What would you like to see more of? (of things that are commonly left out or glossed over)
4) What is the most common gently caress-up you see from writers? (can apply to good military fiction, not just bad)

Can be any branch/etc, I'm not really looking for anything super-specific in that regard. The only person I know personally that I can ask is my uncle who served in Vietnam (poor dude got drafted 1 week before he would've been ineligible re: age). He used to be pretty open about it, but last time I brought it up (thinking the 'open door' policy was still in effect), he didn't particularly want to talk shop, so I've dropped it.

Unrelated: is there a list of all these acronyms somewhere? Because that seems like a detail worth knowing. Same thing goes for slang and idioms. I've seen some resources for the latter (I think there's even a wiki page on it), but it seems like new ones pop up all the drat time.

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~

An Old Boot posted:

1) What do people in the military hate (or just get annoyed by) the most in military fiction/movies/tv (cliches/character archetypes/what have you)?
2) What do you love seeing?
3) What would you like to see more of? (of things that are commonly left out or glossed over)
4) What is the most common gently caress-up you see from writers? (can apply to good military fiction, not just bad)

1. showing the military as anything other than inept usually annoys me
4. see 1.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

An Old Boot posted:

Everything.

An Old Boot posted:

Unrelated: is there a list of all these acronyms somewhere? Because that seems like a detail worth knowing. Same thing goes for slang and idioms. I've seen some resources for the latter (I think there's even a wiki page on it), but it seems like new ones pop up all the drat time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._government_and_military_acronyms

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

The best part is that list probably barely scratches the surface :p

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

You know what? Skippy's list. It's a fairly accurate account of things the retards you meet do.

http://skippyslist.com/list/

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
That new movie with Tom Cruise cracks me the gently caress up. He's like CID or something, and a cop asks him what he does.

"same as you really, except that every suspect of mine is a trained killer."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

Yeah, right.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

not caring here posted:

That new movie with Tom Cruise cracks me the gently caress up. He's like CID or something, and a cop asks him what he does.

"same as you really, except that every suspect of mine is a trained killer."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

Yeah, right.
Wonder how many MPs use that line, or something really close to it?

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Women around?

All of them. All the time.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Navy here.

- Not enough loving around/not working/bullshitting/disgruntled bitching
- Military portrayed as robotic killing machines instead of real people
- Too much ridiculous saluting, acknowledgement of rank/rate, adherence to military courtesy in the workplace

Good examples:
The Onion - Modern Warfare 3
Terminal Lance
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJu8qdellcM

The problem is that a lot of people assume the entire military is like boot camp and that everybody retains the rigidity that's hammered in those two months. There needs to be some middle ground between the borderline fascist hero worship and the "all military are soulless babykillers" mentalities. I'd like to see something like The Office but in a maintenance facility. Show bake sales, endless coffee drinking, paperwork fuckups, ridiculous poo poo.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

MancXVI posted:

Navy here.

- Not enough loving around/not working/bullshitting/disgruntled bitching
- Military portrayed as robotic killing machines instead of real people
- Too much ridiculous saluting, acknowledgement of rank/rate, adherence to military courtesy in the workplace

Good examples:
The Onion - Modern Warfare 3
Terminal Lance
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJu8qdellcM

The problem is that a lot of people assume the entire military is like boot camp and that everybody retains the rigidity that's hammered in those two months. There needs to be some middle ground between the borderline fascist hero worship and the "all military are soulless babykillers" mentalities. I'd like to see something like The Office but in a maintenance facility. Show bake sales, endless coffee drinking, paperwork fuckups, ridiculous poo poo.

Office Space +uniforms=military office. The bonus is that the minions legally *have* to execute the bullshit set out by upper management, otherwise Bad Things start to happen.

Oh, and to answer #1: writers assume everyone in the military is a trained/experienced infantryman, where the actual number is exceptionally low. Like 80-90% of all soldiers are support of some sort, which means they either acquire food, water, and bullets for the combat arms guys, they drive it out to them (army has an MOS dedicated only to driving trucks, 88M), or they are the medical staff that puts people back together after they get shot or find an IED with their foot.

e: did anything ever come of the headstone? I feel bad for the guy.

Icon Of Sin fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Dec 22, 2012

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
And it assumes that the shooters are the cool, calm and collected type, and won't dump an entire nutsack on their 240 at an alleged "muzzle flash" that no one else sees or hears, can actually hit the broad side of their barn with an M4, or that 7 seconds can go by without someone commenting about a sand friend of the family or how muslims are all terrorists, secret Kenyan muslim Obama, Jesus Christ is savior, all fags must die, etc.

I suppose it's nice that they give us the benefit of the doubt, but you could never show reality. Never.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
There's also a distinct lack of dick art.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Vasudus posted:

Or dick jokes, or references, or even friendly mentions.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Vasudus posted:

Noted.

Dick art, ineptitude, dick jokes, more ineptitude, check.

Sounds like a fine institution. If I didn't have chronic pain and bad eyes I might've joined up to add to the growing pile of artsy tubesteak serve our country.

fake edit: real talk, this has been really helpful. I appreciate the feedback.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Dec 23, 2012

Mitsuo
Jul 4, 2007
What does this box do?

Mitsuo fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jan 2, 2013

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

An Old Boot posted:

Noted.

Dick art, ineptitude, dick jokes, more ineptitude, check.

Sounds like a fine institution. If I didn't have chronic pain and bad eyes I might've joined up to add to the growing pile of artsy tubesteak serve our country.

fake edit: real talk, this has been really helpful. I appreciate the feedback.

Generation Kill probably comes the closest to showing what the military is really like.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Veins McGee posted:

Generation Kill probably comes the closest to showing what the military is really like.

I feel like it's almost cliche because everyone brings it up so much, but yeah, pretty much:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5sausCtW1w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeUYE1XNO5E

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
I hope someone figured out what happened with that guy's headstone by now. Sorry to derail with my own question.

I actually have another one real quick. Tell me about the Hurt Locker. :allears:

I've never seen it, the chest-thumping lead character and plot arc wasn't anywhere near my usual points of interest, but I've been real drat curious about the amount of hate it gets on here.

fake edit, re: Generation Kill, someone loaned that to me. I'll be watching it ASAP.

LEGIT WAR CRIMINAL
Aug 29, 2008

by XyloJW

An Old Boot posted:

Hurt Locker

:ssj:

edit: Generation Kill owns and is probably the most accurate depiction of the military I can recall having seen in major media.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

LEGIT WAR CRIMINAL posted:

:ssj:

edit: Generation Kill owns and is probably the most accurate depiction of the military I can recall having seen in major media.

My favorite line from that show was "Hey! Reporter!" "What?" "If you lay with your cock on the ground as a tank goes by it feels loving GREAT!"

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
To add to The Office comparisons, you have to understand that most of the people in the military are just doing a job, just like any other schmuck. Then you have to add on top of that an incredibly cumbersome bureaucracy, insane deployment and work schedules, and just enough retards that think being in the military should be like its depicted in the movies. And please understand this is coming from someone that likes their job and thinks perhaps we're a little too cynical about what we do. But I do understand people's complaints and that they have a lot of validity. Unfortunately if they depicted life as it is in the military it wouldnt make for very compelling cinema.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

GAS CURES KIKES posted:

My favorite line from that show was "Hey! Reporter!" "What?" "If you lay with your cock on the ground as a tank goes by it feels loving GREAT!"

And then the fact that Wright actually rolls over and does it.

TheUnhorse
Oct 29, 2010

Smartest little intel sperg in the whole world
One of the best movies to look to for life in the military 99% of the time is a cult classic from 1999, you may have heard of it, it's called "Office Space."

e: beaten ugh

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Three Kings is my favorite war movie, period.

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~
the hillbilly do is army as gently caress hooah army strong

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger
I was always partial to Buffalo Soldiers with Joaquin Phoenix for army realism. A crooked gently caress supply spc stealing from the army in Germany and selling it all to turks, cooking heroin in the barracks, half the MPs are on drugs, cheating wives, incompetent officers, depictions of soldiers as barely functioning criminals who can't drive a tank in a straight line without damaging local national property. I'm pretty sure that poo poo is a documentary.

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005
I'm about to go to EBOLC at Ft Leonard Wood. Anything stand out as must know?

I.E. Is parking a nightmare?, Anything fun to do that isn't titty bars?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Lockmart Lawndart posted:

I'm about to go to EBOLC at Ft Leonard Wood. Anything stand out as must know?

I.E. Is parking a nightmare?, Anything fun to do that isn't titty bars?

I imagine the quality of a stripper working at a skin bar outside FLW is pretty low, so those may also be a terrible idea (unless you want to watch some 12-series privates blowing entire paychecks on hookers...then have at)

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
WHY THE gently caress IF THE BOZE THREAD LOCKED ITS ONLY 11???

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
East coast bias!!!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Shots weak

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
Is there anyone here that can point me to a resource that tells what are disqualifying factors for security clearances? I don't know poo poo about them and am trying to make sure something I might do won't disqualify me(NOT ILLEGAL!!) I know every case is specific I just wanted to know if there are any concrete things that will disqualify someone. Thank You. :)

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

BULLETS CURE ISLAM posted:

Is there anyone here that can point me to a resource that tells what are disqualifying factors for security clearances? I don't know poo poo about them and am trying to make sure something I might do won't disqualify me(NOT ILLEGAL!!) I know every case is specific I just wanted to know if there are any concrete things that will disqualify someone. Thank You. :)

http://www.dod.mil/dodgc/doha/industrial/

A list of everything that's been appealed, what the decision was and why.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

BULLETS CURE ISLAM posted:

Short of a violent felony, admitting to currently smoking weed errday with coke on the weekends with no intention of stopping, or admitting to be an al-Qaeda sleeper agent, there really isn't anything that is no poo poo disqualifying, although there's plenty of stuff that's harder to mitigate than other stuff. And that's not even getting into the differences that may or may not exist depending on what specific type of clearance/compartment/etc you need (or what department/agency is sponsoring your clearance). That said, this is the site that we always point everyone to and it should give you a decent general idea.

e: well poo poo, that's what I get for typing up a couple of sentences.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
Cool thanks dudes :)

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Now with 25% more kimchee.
I'm need a product recommendation noise blocking headphones. I want to play my iPod all night and not hear anyone else in the bay snoring. The last time I was stuck in open bay sleeping my sport headphones weren't good enough and I slept on the floor in the entry way to get away from all those snoring people.

Also, is there a non electronic version that just blocks out sound?

DrCuntmuffins
Nov 10, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
IEM (in ear monitors) are loving boss. I have Shure 215k's and I can't even hear myself whacking off (not even joking)

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I'll second IEMs. If you have extra 3m combat arms earplugs the little sleeves that go on them fit on most IEMs. Comfort and great noise isolation. You can buy the tri-flange type sleeves for IEMs but I've never found them in multiple sizes so the green (small size) 3M earplugs are perfect for my ears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

I'm planning to get a tattoo honoring my grandfather who passed away recently. He spent a good part of his life in the army and landed on Omaha beach with the 29th division in one of the early waves. He was my hero (not just because of army stuff) and the 29th was a huge part of his life. I wanted to get the 29th shoulder insignia tattooed with something like "In Loving Memory of (His Name)" around it on my upper arm. Thing is I don't want to offend veterans and current members. Do you guys think they'd take offense at the tattoo?

• Locked thread