Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

RaoulDuke12 posted:

To keep it dreadfully simple, USPS doesn't make multiple rounds, so if you didn't get it with your regular mail, you aren't going to get it that day. (generally)

There's been a lot of delayed mail, especially with the inclimate weather in the midwest, and a lot of the tracking sites aren't taking that into account.

They do make multiple rounds actually. But only for things sent by Express Mail with guaranteed delivery date/time; and even then only if the regular round wasn't sufficient to get it to there in the guaranteed time.

Express Mail is, of course, really expensive to send anything, so you rarely see it used for things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

b0nes posted:

Kinda like that, but this was a modern synth that looked like that. For sure it wasn't a Moog.

These are modular analog synthesizers, and no big commercial brands exist any more, although there are still some little niche brands and DIYers. Some of these guys make some very nice gear, but they're not cheap, and since they're often home side businesses they can be a pain to deal with. But you can still put together an impressive machine if you're patient.

My personal favorite was MOTM (http://www.synthtech.com) which was really high quality stuff but had a lot of problems with shipping times. This stuff was fairly active in the early 2000s when the whole analog retro craze was big. But there are several other manufacturers.

There's also a pretty big DIY community, and a lot of people sell PCBs for building your own circuits.

e: there's some blindoldfreak videos at the Knitting Factory on youtube; if that's what you saw those machines are vintage Buchla.

Base Emitter fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Dec 22, 2012

Liebfraumilch
Aug 17, 2008
I've had USPS come at least three times in a day recently: packages for other people, boring letter mail, and then at 7:30pm when I'd given up all hope, a signature-confirmation package for me. It's kind of a mystery. Oh, and some things I've ordered from Amazon say they are coming from one carrier and are delivered by another.

For tracking, I've found some systems operate on optimism (or really think pretending to throw a ball for a dog is hilarious), or do a sort of Lancelot number on you by indicating they're stalled out in another city and yet you come home to find it's on your porch.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Can somebody give me some background on the 'milk-cliff' where the price of milk is going to double come Jan 1? I found a bunch of articles and apparently the price protection is going to expire and it'll go back to a 1949 law where the government was required to buy milk for double the going rate? Why was that ever a law?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Can somebody give me some background on the 'milk-cliff' where the price of milk is going to double come Jan 1? I found a bunch of articles and apparently the price protection is going to expire and it'll go back to a 1949 law where the government was required to buy milk for double the going rate? Why was that ever a law?

There's some history here:

http://momocrats.com/2012/12/11/lessons-lost-in-history-why-the-us-helps-farmers-aka-the-dairy-cliff/

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Does anyone remember that old front page article rating or ranking celebrity boobs and as it progresses, the language keeps degrading until #1 where it's Selma Hayek and it's just "FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK DO A gently caress

on her"??

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Does anyone remember that old front page article rating or ranking celebrity boobs and as it progresses, the language keeps degrading until #1 where it's Selma Hayek and it's just "FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK DO A gently caress

on her"??
http://www.somethingawful.com/d/feature-articles/stupid-sexy-list.php

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Yes! Thank you.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

That's some good background info, thanks. I'm really interested in seeing what this 1949 law is too, it sounds kind of absurd. My thinking is that it was some sort of post-WWII recovery relic but that makes it a pretty terrible stop gap, but I'm not sure.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I read somewhere that sperm oil was very stable because its fatty acids were mostly saturated. Do oils with saturated fatty acids go bad more slowly?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

That's some good background info, thanks. I'm really interested in seeing what this 1949 law is too, it sounds kind of absurd. My thinking is that it was some sort of post-WWII recovery relic but that makes it a pretty terrible stop gap, but I'm not sure.

1949 Agricultural Act (PDF), Agricultural Adjustment Act of 1938 (big PDF), and a brief explanation from The Economist, New York Times, and the FDA (.doc). Long story short, the bill calculates the cost of making milk by the way milk was produced in 1949. The government would be required to spend billions per year buying milk at twice the current going rate. There is no chance it will actually happen since it would dramatically increase government spending and hurt consumers for no reason.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Baron Bifford posted:

I read somewhere that sperm oil was very stable because its fatty acids were mostly saturated. Do oils with saturated fatty acids go bad more slowly?

What's with all the questions about sperm oil? They're pretty interesting but, uh, very specific.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Gobbeldygook posted:

1949 Agricultural Act (PDF), Agricultural Adjustment Act of 1938 (big PDF), and a brief explanation from The Economist, New York Times, and the FDA (.doc). Long story short, the bill calculates the cost of making milk by the way milk was produced in 1949. The government would be required to spend billions per year buying milk at twice the current going rate. There is no chance it will actually happen since it would dramatically increase government spending and hurt consumers for no reason.
Thanks, the NYT article had just the explanation I was looking for.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

ineptmule posted:

What's with all the questions about sperm oil? They're pretty interesting but, uh, very specific.
Just something I read in a book?

MustardMaster
Oct 14, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I would want an old-fashioned pen pal, but everything just seems to be online chatting or forum posting. Nothing wrong with that kind of writing, of course, but not excactly what I need. Where could I find people who would be up for writing long, long e-mails and talk about life and love in general?

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

MustardMaster posted:

I would want an old-fashioned pen pal, but everything just seems to be online chatting or forum posting. Nothing wrong with that kind of writing, of course, but not excactly what I need. Where could I find people who would be up for writing long, long e-mails and talk about life and love in general?

Set up a thread about it? I bet you could find a few people up for that kind of thing, or even paper letters for the daring. It'd be like SA Secret Santa, only without gifts.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Has anyone heard of a name for when you squeeze someone at their quad? Like maybe 'horse bite'?

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

kimbo305 posted:

Has anyone heard of a name for when you squeeze someone at their quad? Like maybe 'horse bite'?

Are you thinking about a Charley Horse? When the muscle cramps up?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Is there some kind of goon home studio/recording thread? I have a friend who does home recordings for multitracking fairly regularly but is currently limping along with an older Tascam. I'd like to get him something better (with less frustrations and preferably with some decent mixing/editing software).

Requirements:

1. Direct recording/connection to computer.

2. At least one input for his guitar.

3. Decent bundled software.

4. Under 400 bucks.

5. Headphone output.

MIDI not required mic input would be nice.

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know

MustardMaster posted:

You could try this thread. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3400714

It's snail mail loving folks who like to send cards and silly stuff, but if you post your question there, you may find someone who is also interested in the same thing.

I grew up having many pen pals from all over the world, and definitely appreciate how enjoyable it is. I wish you luck. :)

Wotan
Aug 15, 2009

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

tarepanda posted:

Is there some kind of goon home studio/recording thread? I have a friend who does home recordings for multitracking fairly regularly but is currently limping along with an older Tascam. I'd like to get him something better (with less frustrations and preferably with some decent mixing/editing software).

Requirements:

1. Direct recording/connection to computer.

2. At least one input for his guitar.

3. Decent bundled software.

4. Under 400 bucks.

5. Headphone output.

MIDI not required mic input would be nice.

I'm not sure if there is a specific thread, but you might find something in DIY.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=210

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

kimbo305 posted:

When we were kids we'd say "the horse eats the hay, the horse eats the hay" while squeezing someone right above the knee, but I always thought it was something my weirdo neighbor came up with.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
what the hell did horses do to get such a reputation for inappropriate groping?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I will be going out of town to San Francisco next month for little under a week and I was thinking about just booking a hotel through kayak.com / hotel.com websites but I remember hearing something a while back about people renting out their apartments / condos for a few days on a website. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

Are you thinking about a Charley Horse? When the muscle cramps up?

I thought I heard the expression on TV or somewhere. It's not something familiar to me, which is why I asked.

Liebfraumilch
Aug 17, 2008

Busy Bee posted:

I will be going out of town to San Francisco next month for little under a week and I was thinking about just booking a hotel through kayak.com / hotel.com websites but I remember hearing something a while back about people renting out their apartments / condos for a few days on a website. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Air BNB has to be it. So many interesting and wildly different properties on there, nonetheless.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Does anyone have experience with Diatomaceous earth as a roach deterrent? Would you recommend it?

TheHistoryChannel
Feb 12, 2008

Its not really a detterrent as it is a human and pet safe poison. My dad has used it for years and swears by it. When I moved into my first lovely apartment it helped a lot. I really couldn't recommend it enough but keep in mind its only part of the solution. You still have to seal cracks where they can get in and eliminate food sources.

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010
When I set the timezone on the forums to New Zealand time (GMT+12) posts display as 1 hour behind what the time is here right now. There is no GMT+13 option, is there anything I can do to fix this? Toggling Daylight savings on/off doesn't seem to do anything at all to the time.

Liebfraumilch
Aug 17, 2008

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Does anyone have experience with Diatomaceous earth as a roach deterrent? Would you recommend it?

In short: I do, and I would.

I'm terrified of spiders, horrified at the sight of centipedes, and am overwhelmed with instant irrational hatred when I see cockroaches...and I live in Philadelphia all by my lonesome. I have sealed off my whole apartment at every floor/wall seam reachable like I'm practicing voodoo rather than laying down a mechanical pesticide, and though roughly 10% of the centipedes still find their way in through mysterious means, I have seen fewer of everything than I did before--and the two roaches I've had since July when I started using it came from my kitchen light fixture which is cheating.

Because I was told it takes several hours for the powder to kill them on its own and that's not fast enough, I am armed with spray, flat-soled slippers at strategic locations, a crudely-fashioned Kill Stick, and an alert kitten for anything that dares to come past the DE. But it feels awesome to know that most bugs are saying "you know what? gently caress this." and going somewhere else to be creepy, or already dying slowly by the time I spot them. Remember to still look for and get rid of any dessicated bug bodies you do find, though.

EDIT--Well, if my post is based on some sort of placebo effect or redundant, at least take this part away from it:

If you have pets, and even if you don't, I encourage you to make sure it is food-grade DE.

Liebfraumilch fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Dec 23, 2012

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

Base Emitter posted:

These are modular analog synthesizers, and no big commercial brands exist any more, although there are still some little niche brands and DIYers. Some of these guys make some very nice gear, but they're not cheap, and since they're often home side businesses they can be a pain to deal with. But you can still put together an impressive machine if you're patient.

My personal favorite was MOTM (http://www.synthtech.com) which was really high quality stuff but had a lot of problems with shipping times. This stuff was fairly active in the early 2000s when the whole analog retro craze was big. But there are several other manufacturers.

There's also a pretty big DIY community, and a lot of people sell PCBs for building your own circuits.

e: there's some blindoldfreak videos at the Knitting Factory on youtube; if that's what you saw those machines are vintage Buchla.

Thanks this is exactly what I was looking for. Buchla e200. One day I will be able to afford one.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

El_Elegante posted:

what the hell did horses do to get such a reputation for inappropriate groping?

Have you ever been around horses? Horse humor is entirely based on inappropriate biting, like biting your rear end when you bend down to scrape out a hoof.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

WetSpink posted:

When I set the timezone on the forums to New Zealand time (GMT+12) posts display as 1 hour behind what the time is here right now. There is no GMT+13 option, is there anything I can do to fix this? Toggling Daylight savings on/off doesn't seem to do anything at all to the time.

Tell QCS or email support please.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
I kind of remember a horse bite maneuver from elementary or middle school. I don't remember a certain spot it was supposed to be done to though, think I got one on the arm. I do remember you did it not with the tips of your fingers but with your 1st (1st from fingernail) knuckles and palm. Your fingers being all bent up looked kind like big horse teeth I guess.

Weatherproof
Nov 21, 2007

Well, like an understocked herb salesman, we've run out of oregano.. sorry, time!
Is it normal for there to be floating bits in an unopened bottle of gin?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Just got finished prodding around in my mouth, and there's a very large bump in my gum behind my leftmost molar, and a partially covered tooth that I don't remember.

I have absolutely no loving clue how long partial-exposure wisdom tooth extraction takes to recover from, is it better or worse than a normal removal?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

change my name posted:

Just got finished prodding around in my mouth, and there's a very large bump in my gum behind my leftmost molar, and a partially covered tooth that I don't remember.

I have absolutely no loving clue how long partial-exposure wisdom tooth extraction takes to recover from, is it better or worse than a normal removal?

I had all four done at once, three were almost completely erupted and a fourth was still covered by my gums but I'd recommend asking your dentist about it sooner rather than later because I had a lot of damage from them crowding my teeth and ended up with chipped and crooked canines among other problems.

I just followed the advice anti-dry socket regimen and popped pain pills as prescribed and it wasn't a terrible recovery experience.

TheHistoryChannel
Feb 12, 2008

change my name posted:

Not sure whether it will be worse or not, everyone is different. Some people get wrecked by wisdome teeth removal some are fine in half a day. Just make sure to read up on dry sockets and be sure to avoid them. Let me be the first to tell you to see an oral surgeon or dentist ASAP. A gum infection will be worse than any routine surgery.

Weatherproof posted:

Is it normal for there to be floating bits in an unopened bottle of gin?

Nope never, not even in the cheapest bottle of gin.

Weatherproof
Nov 21, 2007

Well, like an understocked herb salesman, we've run out of oregano.. sorry, time!

TheHistoryChannel posted:

Nope never, not even in the cheapest bottle of gin.

Thanks, should it still be drinkable? I don't have a receipt to return it. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHistoryChannel
Feb 12, 2008

There is no telling, it could be bits of plastic from the bottle manufacture if its a plastic jug. It could be bits of the flavoring that missed the filter. Or it could be something completely foul that will make you sick. Its definitely a risk but if it smells like gin and tastes like gin then it may be no big deal. I'd toss it if there is any mettallic, chemical, or plastic kind of taste or smell. Your in uncharted water at this point Google turns up nothing.