Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Emperor was more broken to me.

The entire balance of the S. Link system is that the higher your S. Links, the more levels a guy you fuses gets and the more skills. If you have a 0 S. Link tower and fuse Yoshitsune he'll still be useful but it will be a long, long time before you get Hassou Tobi, which really breaks the game.

OR you can get a couple of emperors and you're done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I just finished the game and started a clear file, I never realized before that it's the Konishi kids who are arguing in the street during that first walkaround bit. :3:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

So I was fighting Kunino-sagiri yesterday, and I had Power Charged Kanji to take down its last bit of health.

Then it used Control. Rise upped the group's attack, and then Kanji hit me with Primal Force for ~850 damage, killing me instantly from full health. :suicide: Fortunately, Rise revived me, but I couldn't believe it.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
Did you call him gay?

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Emperor was more broken to me.

The entire balance of the S. Link system is that the higher your S. Links, the more levels a guy you fuses gets and the more skills. If you have a 0 S. Link tower and fuse Yoshitsune he'll still be useful but it will be a long, long time before you get Hassou Tobi, which really breaks the game.

OR you can get a couple of emperors and you're done

Yoshitsune is Tower.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

RentCavalier posted:

Yoshitsune is Tower.

He's talking about the Shuffle Time cards. Emperors drawn during Shuffle Time give your currently equipped Persona an instant level up.

Soma Soma Soma
Mar 22, 2004

Richardson agrees
Just played through the boss of the Void Quest and forgot how amazing that fight is. The music is so drat awesome!

This game alone has made my Vita worth it.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Barent posted:

I get that, but Magician cards are one of the most broken things about Golden that I've noticed so far...If it was like what you're wanting it would probably make the game way too easy.

Eh, the game's already really easy thanks to being able to choose which abilities to pass on in fusion. I had a Victory Cry, Repel Physical Black Frost with garu and mudo skills (meant to transfer zioga instead of mudoon but forgot to chain it correctly, and mamudoon has actually turned out to be extremely useful) the instant I hit 38, and a Victory Cry, Repel Physical, Resist Fire Narcissus with various attack magic before that. My MC has done the most recent three dungeons almost completely solo. I have other party members around, but they usually only get turns on golden hands and bosses.

That said, Magician cards really don't need to be able to upgrade past the limits already set by the game. I would like if they'd let me pick a persona rather than only modifying the active one, but eh not a big deal.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Alright, finished it. Great game! It's hard to imagine what it was like previously without being able to go out at night or choosing skills in fusion. Thanks to selling off a whole lot of healing items, I was just able to finish the game with a complete compendium and around a million yen for the next playthrough.

I wasn't able to get the Gekkou uniforms, which is kind of annoying. I think if you don't talk to the teacher after the October exams, you must not be able to get them at all because she never showed up again in January-February after I finished her quests.

What do you get for getting the top spot on the February exams?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Nate RFB posted:

What do you get for getting the top spot on the February exams?

Absolutely nothing.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Nate RFB posted:

I wasn't able to get the Gekkou uniforms, which is kind of annoying. I think if you don't talk to the teacher after the October exams, you must not be able to get them at all because she never showed up again in January-February after I finished her quests.

I ended up getting the male Gekkou uniforms after the November exams, and that was the first time I've talked to Kashiwagi.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Haha having a high rank Rise totally breaks everything. I just blitzed though the november dungeon and beat the last boss on my first try. I'm not even 60 yet and it's only November 10th.

Maxed out Rise is the best drat thing. She's saved my rear end so many times. Everytime I screw up, Rise is just like "Nah." *BLOCKS ALL ATTACKS*

I probably played a lot more sloppy in P4G than vanilla P4 because of the Rise changes. There were a few "The MC may die if I don't heal him back up to full this round but...what the hell, Rise will save me if necessary" moments. Even if it makes it maybe a little too easy, I enjoyed having her be more of an active member of the team from a story perspective.

JetGrind posted:

I got roped into being in a relationship with Rise because I didn't want to feel like an rear end in a top hat for just standing there, but I was already in one with Chie. I sure can't wait until Valentine's Day! :suicide:

Honestly, I didn't find it THAT bad. (sort of spoilers re February event, I guess): Most of the girls are just like "So...I'm your girlfriend but you're not hanging with me on Valentine's and you can't tell me what you're doing?" And there's generally a "It's cool, we'll hang out later, I'm just a mysterious dude, maybe it's some Velvet Room poo poo, WELL SEE YA" option that's not too painful. If anything it's worth it just to see Yosuke freak out when everyone is after you.

The PerSWAGna route isn't always easy, but it's one we must walk :patriot:

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Dec 23, 2012

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

It's the principle of the thing. I will never betray Naoto. :colbert:

v-- Chie clearly belongs with Yukiko.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Dec 24, 2012

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Pollyanna posted:

It's the principle of the thing. I will never betray Naoto. :colbert:

I can never date Naoto, her and Kanji are just too cute together, especially on the ski trip.

I am all about the Chie, though.

Northwest!
Aug 9, 2008
Considering how probably less than 0.1% of the people that played P4G didn't do any of the anime girl romance options, it's funny that they only have an achievement for getting into a relationship.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Nondevor posted:

I ended up getting the male Gekkou uniforms after the November exams, and that was the first time I've talked to Kashiwagi.
Yeah, since I didn't do that I'm guessing that it locks you out of getting the female set.

I think those and female school uniform Naoto are the only costumes I don't have.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Yea, you need to get the male set. It's a mini 'story' with her not getting the whole set on time, so she only gives you the male uniforms at first.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

kirbysuperstar posted:

I can never date Naoto, her and Kanji are just too cute together, especially on the ski trip.

I am all about the Chie, though.

Yeah, as much as I love Naoto, dating her would break Kanji's little heart, and I can't do that to the poor guy. Kanji is my bro.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Kanji just needs to realize his love for Teddie. :smugteddie:

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Well, it was painful, but it had to be done:

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

Finally beat it at 76 hours, first JRPG I've beaten since mother 3.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
I really like using Teddie's crossdressing costume. It has a great victory line of "Aaaaaaah, steal my ~~heart~~". He's so happy in it as well.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

HiKaizer posted:

I really like using Teddie's crossdressing costume. It has a great victory line of "Aaaaaaah, steal my ~~heart~~". He's so happy in it as well.

The best part about it is that when you cast a spell, his hair billows out dramatically in the wind for a really long time.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

Can someone clarify this for me? I'm going to put off the Risette Trophy until NG+. Is it possible to change the options for how much exp/money you get per encounter at any time, or does it have to be set at the beginning of the game, since I was thinking of turning the exp down so I can get the "monsters are strong" lines first, but I'd like to know if I can turn the exp down without making it hard for me to level up for the optional boss.

Edit:vvv Cool, thanks.

Yukari fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Dec 24, 2012

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Yukari posted:

Can someone clarify this for me? I'm going to put off the Risette Trophy until NG+. Is it possible to change the options for how much exp/money you get per encounter at any time, or does it have to be set at the beginning of the game, since I was thinking of turning the exp down so I can get the "monsters are strong" lines first, but I'd like to know if I can turn the exp down without making it hard for me to level up for the optional boss.

You can change the difficulty settings at any time you have access to the menu (i.e., outside of battles) on NG+. It'll be under the System Settings.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

So I bought a Wii U and this game at the same time about a month ago? I started playing the Wii U and for what it's worth ZombiU was a great experience, though I felt bad that I didn't even open Persona 4.

I've put about 80-90 hours in this game and haven't turned on the Wii U in ages. This game does things to people, and Persona 4 may be the best game I've played in a long, long time. I am sort of miffed I missed out on when it was released on the PS2 because this is sure as hell a lot better than the games I was buying for it at the time.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
The game is so drat charming that it's nigh-impossible not to get addicted to it.

I don't game as much as I did when I was a teenager, but it's the only game that I remember immediately wanting to play again after finishing.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Wow, Ameno-Sagiri looks so much better than the PS2 version. I'm just loving the updated textures in general.

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
62 Hours, 8 Minutes. First JRPG I've completed in at least five years. Maybe longer.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
You guys weren't kidding about Valentine's Day.

The worst was probably Yukiko. She asks if you're serious about being in a relationship with her and then immediately apologizes and blames herself. :smith:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well, I was aiming to finish this by Christmas, and I've just bearly made it.

At least the final boss isn't as much of a slog as in P3. Music's not quite as good though. Still pretty awesome.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Genesis is really a track that could've used the opening being cut by a minute or so because it really becomes good whenever it hits the chorus for I'll Face Myself, because everything after that is great. But thanks to it being that long, it's a song I really can't stand, especially when Fog before it is so drat good and my favorite final boss theme of the Persona games.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
P3's final boss may be a real slog, but god drat if it isn't epic.

"Entrusting his hope to the cards, man clings to a dim hope. Yes, the arcana is the means by which all is revealed..."

Every single quote through that battle is just like :aaaaa:. My first time fighting him, I got him down to 1% and then he charmed Yukari. Yukari uses Diarahan on the jerk and he actually regained every single bit of HP. It was bullshit, but it made me even more determined to beat the bastard. When I did, it was like sweet, sweet candy. :allears:

Pistol Packin Poet
Nov 5, 2012

Everyone needs an
escape goat!
Finally got the game. I can't stop smiling with joy as I did when I first played the original game on the PS2. This is gonna be awesome

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Last boss of P3 is pretty cool the first time, but it kinda ends up annoying on subsequent playthroughs. Music never gets bad though.

Speaking of slogs, gotta push through the intro again. Totally going to make a beastly Izanagi this time through.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Y'know, people say they'd love to have seen Dojima as a Persona-user, but there's another thing they could have had.

The fox!

...no, really. Like a certain heroic dog before him, there's clearly something unusual about that fox. Supernatural, even.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Him and Mrs. Fox, and all the babby foxes.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

That fox is my favourite drug-dealing fox in all videogames. Because that's a really long list.

*Sigh* I've finished my new game plus so I really should move on to something else, but I think I'd rather just have some more wacky hi-jinks with my best fake anime videogame friends. Obviously Atlus should have added another entire year after the epilogue that's just you and your friends getting up to shenanigans, no plot.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Finally managed to track down the Reaper again. First time I ran across him was back in Yukiko's Castle, before I'd even managed to clear the dungeon in April (thank God Yosuke had Trafuri from his Social Link). It's now January 15, and this is the first time I've run across him since then.

Got a new sword out of the deal. Gonna miss that Sharp Shovel, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

W.T. Fits posted:

Finally managed to track down the Reaper again. First time I ran across him was back in Yukiko's Castle, before I'd even managed to clear the dungeon in April (thank God Yosuke had Trafuri from his Social Link). It's now January 15, and this is the first time I've run across him since then.

Got a new sword out of the deal. Gonna miss that Sharp Shovel, though.

You know that song? Well, it's wrong. Don't fear the Reaper.

I took him down with just the MC and Chie (Power Charge and God's Hand.) :smug:

• Locked thread