Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Oh crap! I had no idea! I ordered so much stuff from them about 3 years ago. They were great when I ordered from them. That sucks. :(

For reference, if you played it on her TV with an XRGB Mini it would have looked wonderful. :retrogames:

If you ever win the lottery, I think you should arrange Trinitrons and XRGB minis for everyone for next Christmas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Ineffiable posted:

If you ever win the lottery, I think you should arrange Trinitrons and XRGB minis for everyone for next Christmas.

I've got this weird mental image of Oprah giving away video scalers.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

For reference, if you played it on her TV with an XRGB Mini it would have looked wonderful. :retrogames:

I'm one of the few retro gamers who don't like pissing away money, sorry! :shobon:

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!

Oh crap! I had no idea! I ordered so much stuff from them about 3 years ago. They were great when I ordered from them. That sucks. :(

So with the XRGB-MINI the theory is you use a box with multiple inputs and feed it into the mini and than the mini into the HD source? Im still digesting some of the OP in regards to S-Video/Scart and what not and how it applies to PAL models.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Ineffiable posted:

Trinitrons and XRGB Minis don't mix! Also, Trinitrons are pretty much free at your local Goodwill :)

Though if I did win the lotto I'd hand out XRGB Minis like some super-nerdy Santa Claus.

insidius posted:

So with the XRGB-MINI the theory is you use a box with multiple inputs and feed it into the mini and than the mini into the HD source? Im still digesting some of the OP in regards to S-Video/Scart and what not and how it applies to PAL models.

Yeah, the XRGB Mini only really has 1 of each type of input. Get a component, scart, and/or s-video switch, then feed that to the XRGB Mini. The XRGB Mini goes into your TVs HDMI input.

midwest ink
Aug 12, 2007
black magic, you say?

WendigoJohnson posted:

So I have a question about the 32X library. Other than Knuckles Chaotix and Kolibri, are there any other noteworthy games on the system? It also seems to have a very small library but alot of the games look like they're ports. Are there any on there that are possibly definitive versions of those games as well?

As someone already mentioned, Metal Head is a lot of fun if you like stomping around in a mech blowing poo poo up. The graphics are dated obviously but if you can get past that it is fun. Mortal Kombat 2 is really good and still looks really good today to me. I also enjoy Star Wars Arcade and NBA Jam Tournament Edition as well, even though NBA Jam doesn't really do anything different than the other 500 ports for other systems that were released. Space Harrier is supposed to be near identical to the arcade release.

I have had Doom since it was first released for the 32X and to this day, I can't play that for more than 5 minutes without getting a headache, I don't know why or what about it does this, but without fail 5 minutes in and I get a pounding headache.

I really want to get a copy of Spiderman Web of Fire for the 32X but like hell if I am paying $200 for a 32X game.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

insidius posted:

The jist of the OP, more or less, is that you convert everything to SCART, and hook it up to the RGB port in the front using that special cable. Every pre-Dreamcast console can be wired into SCART somehow, and is the best connector for that console. After that, the Dreamcast used VGA (although some games aren't compatible with this), and the PS2, Gamecube, Wii, original Xbox and PSP used component or D-Terminal. Assuming you have a Wii-U, as well as a first-gen PS2-backwards-compatible PS3 and don't want to play any original Xbox games not on this list, you only need component/D-Terminal for PSP and Gamecube.

So if you had infinite money, you'd get that SCART switcher, hook up all your pre-2000s consoles to that, and feed that to an XRGB-mini, with the Component consoles hooked up to its own switcher feeding to the D-Terminal port on the back. You will still have a free composite/s-video plug on the front if, for example, you don't want to :retrogames: on RGB-modding your NES (although you can get a composite-to-scart cable for that anyway)

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
UPDATE: Contacted someone locally with an Initial D ver. 3 twin machine. I am going to go look at it next week if he still has it. This is all going very smoothly. His asking price is $200 over my budget but he might come down some.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

ultimateforce posted:

UPDATE: Contacted someone locally with an Initial D ver. 3 twin machine. I am going to go look at it next week if he still has it. This is all going very smoothly. His asking price is $200 over my budget but he might come down some.

If it fully works with no control issues you should take it. $200 is nothing compared to the cost of repairing those loving machines.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

My copy of Mischief Makers came, just in time for Christmas! Shake shake! :haw:

Then I turn on the N64 and the video cable doesn't work. :( Worked fine the other day when I played some Turok, now it doesn't do anything. I'm too broke to get another one right now, are they too hard to fix? It's a standard RF cable so I'm assuming it's something in the little box with the channel 3/4 switch. TV still works fine and I haven't changed anything.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Safari Disco Lion posted:

My copy of Mischief Makers came, just in time for Christmas! Shake shake! :haw:

Then I turn on the N64 and the video cable doesn't work. :( Worked fine the other day when I played some Turok, now it doesn't do anything. I'm too broke to get another one right now, are they too hard to fix? It's a standard RF cable so I'm assuming it's something in the little box with the channel 3/4 switch. TV still works fine and I haven't changed anything.

Jiggle the input and see if you get anything. If I remember correctly, the N64's RF input is a box that connects directly to the console and a coax cable goes from the box to the tv.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Yeah, that's what it is. If I jiggle the channel select, the screen flickers, but it never comes up.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.
Unless you need RF, go for composite (at least), the cables shouldn't be more than $4 shipped.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
I stopped by my favorite recycle facility to burglarize (they rarely have good stuff, but when they have good stuff, they have lots of really good stuff - last time I was there I got two apple //e's and sold one on eBay for $350)

Basically if the California gold rush was targeting non-HD Wega Trinitrons instead of nuggets of gold, i would be the richest goon. Unfortunately I drive a tiny hatchback and couldn't fit the 37" in even if I wanted to. I think this is a 32 or 33" but haven't measured it. Component and s-video, score!

The only thing is this off-color splotch, but it was not only free but on my route home so it couldn't have been more convenient!

Now, who has extra s-video Saturn cables (I wish I had component Saturn cables :smith:)

I have a feeling they'll all be gone by the time I can get back in :(

Bing the Noize fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Dec 25, 2012

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Is 8ms response time on an LCD TV too much/noticable for an emulation comp? This is the one I picked up already during black friday sale: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00856XDPK

Picture quality's great but I wasn't thinking of emulation on it at the time. SMB, Sonic, Zelda, etc...nothing too crazy.

Asbrandt
Feb 16, 2011
Panel response time is really the minimum amount of lag in play, it can be far worse and unfortunately there's no real way of knowing without testing side-by-side with a good CRT.

There's a thread on Shoryuken collecting sub-frame lag monitors, but it seems good ones get discontinued as soon as they're discovered.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.

The Joe Man posted:

Is 8ms response time on an LCD TV too much/noticable for an emulation comp? This is the one I picked up already during black friday sale: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00856XDPK

No, it's not really noticeable (that's about half a frame if I'm not mistaken). Using USB or anything similar will introduce significantly more lag. But if you're doing this for emulation and worried about response time, why not use a CRT?

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Keyboard Kid posted:

No, it's not really noticeable (that's about half a frame if I'm not mistaken). Using USB or anything similar will introduce significantly more lag. But if you're doing this for emulation and worried about response time, why not use a CRT?

4 HDMI port support for a bunch of devices (Roku, nice DVD player/upscaler, future emulation box, etc...). It's not for me; I'm just wondering if she'll notice a large disconnect between pressing a button and Mario actually jumping.

If it was for me, I'd probably go with something like 2ms or less but I have no interest in a TV at the moment and my monitor works just fine. Plan on connecting her future emubox's GFX card to the RCA TV through HDMI, then a couple USB gamepads with whatever emulator I decide on for each system (possible Hyperspin setup if I want to tear my hair out).

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Keyboard Kid posted:

luckily, this just came out (still being tested but its p nice): http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=89&products_id=212

if it turns out at least as good as the smtt tests, it will be trivial to just take this to your local best buy.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Keyboard Kid posted:

Unless you need RF, go for composite (at least), the cables shouldn't be more than $4 shipped.

Yeah but I don't even have that right now, not until the weekend. Wonder if I could find a wiring diagram for the thing, I could chop it up and hook it to a scrap composite cable (if that's possible anyway).

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Time to get a degausser. :getin:

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
I've used a magnet to drag the discolored spot off the corner of a CRT, but I don't especially recommend this.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

h_double posted:

I've used a magnet to drag the discolored spot off the corner of a CRT, but I don't especially recommend this.

:retrogames: If you care about retrogames, you will get a degausser. :retrogames:

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
I used to have one but now I need to find one :sigh:

Is the cheapest way to get s-video out of a Saturn those $6 things on eBay you need to solder in? Can't find no god drat s-video cables

E: man I can't believe I forgot I need to degauss things. I miss my old trinitron monitors with built in degaussers :(

Bing the Noize fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Dec 25, 2012

Southpaw Wusky
Oct 23, 2010

h_double posted:

Back in middle school a teacher showed a neat way to quickly degauss a screen by sticking at least two magnets (small, rectangular in this case) on the end of an electric drill and just going nuts near the discolored portion. They have to be parallel to the drill bit though.

StellarX
Aug 22, 2005

Mission Complete.
You are the greatest player.
Can anyone comment on how well these things work, or if there is a superior device available? I'd love to have some portable retro available on my Galaxy nexus.

https://www.thinkgeek.com/product/ecea/?srp=1#tabs

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

StellarX posted:

Can anyone comment on how well these things work, or if there is a superior device available? I'd love to have some portable retro available on my Galaxy nexus.

https://www.thinkgeek.com/product/ecea/?srp=1#tabs

At that point I would just use a sixaxis... I mean that thing isn't really retro either.

StellarX
Aug 22, 2005

Mission Complete.
You are the greatest player.
I guess it didn't click with me that you could basically use any bluetooth controller.

jannik
Oct 15, 2004

The Biggest Anime
I was just about to order a SD2SNES from stoneagegamer.com but it seems it went out of stock during the past couple of days.

However https://www.dragonbox.de/en/ got some in stock. When I checked last week the page displayed German VAT on top of the actual price, which made the whole thing very expensive. Today there was no tax, so I only paid $177 for the PCB and $6 for shipping. No idea if it's a mistake on their part or what's going on, but let's see.

Might be a good alternative if anyone's looking for a SD2SNES and can bear the shipping time from Europe, as no NA website has them in stock right now it seems.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Mine shipped from Ukraine and I paid no taxes

RipVTide
Jul 28, 2002

Run you jerk with an EYE FOR QUALITY you! Run!
Nap Ghost
gently caress this thread, this is going to be so expensive :(

Just started my hardware collection about a year ago, and I've been looking at the different solutions for RGB/SCART for a while now, this thread does really help. Other than trawling ebay/yardsales are there any other places to keep an eye on for games/systems?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

RipVTide posted:

gently caress this thread, this is going to be so expensive :(

Just started my hardware collection about a year ago, and I've been looking at the different solutions for RGB/SCART for a while now, this thread does really help. Other than trawling ebay/yardsales are there any other places to keep an eye on for games/systems?

Why do you think our signature smiley is a burning money icon?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Ineffiable posted:

Why do you think our signature smiley is a burning money icon?
This is true. Even for systems that have cheap software like the Dreamcast and PS2. Cheap games just mean that you buy more games.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

RipVTide posted:

Other than trawling ebay/yardsales are there any other places to keep an eye on for games/systems?

Buy big lots, as in, look on ebay/craigslist for people who are getting rid of their consoles and 10-20 games at a time, take what you want and resell the rest individually. It's a bit of work but it means that a) a lot of hardware and games go through your hands so you can cherrypick the best pieces and replace them if you come across better looking ones and b) you save a ton of cash.

Since I started collecting again this fall, I got about 400€ worth of SNES/GB games and hardware and I paid about 50€ for it because I kept buying and reselling. Do NOT do this if you have no idea what things are worth though!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I'm curious, and this may not be the best thread to post this in, but does anyone have any good game cataloging software? I use DVD Profiler to track my DVDs and Blu-Rays, it'd be cool to be able to export a list of all my video games.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

WendigoJohnson posted:

This is true. Even for systems that have cheap software like the Dreamcast and PS2. Cheap games just mean that you buy more games.

To complete the imagery, we probably need a burning clock and a burning shelf.

Because if there's one thing we can agree on that this hobby can suck up money, time and physical space.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
What everyone needs to do for Xmas is buy a optical modded SNES from Burgler, get a receiver that takes optical, and play FF6 with headphones on :aaaaa:

e: It's so nice to be back home with 75mbit internet instead of 1-2mbit. Also look at my gaming station. Look at that reflection.

Bing the Noize fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Dec 25, 2012

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
If the buying/reselling route isn't your choice. There's almost always auctions up at the early hours in the morning on ebay that are usualy just people trying to get rid of stuff. I built up the majority of my Dreamcast collection that way by checking at the early hours and seeing most CIB games go for less than 10 bucks each.

Ineffiable posted:

Because if there's one thing we can agree on that this hobby can suck up money, time and physical space.

True retro gamers go out of their way to make their game room resemble a Video Store of old. Back when families had to trek down 3 city blocks to rent a movie/game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsKVBZEx3Ck

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Dec 25, 2012

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Ineffiable posted:

Psh, it only sucks up time if you actually play them. :colbert:

Oh god, so many unplayed games in my collection. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Medullah posted:

I'm curious, and this may not be the best thread to post this in, but does anyone have any good game cataloging software? I use DVD Profiler to track my DVDs and Blu-Rays, it'd be cool to be able to export a list of all my video games.

rfgeneration.com is pretty nice. It also has an android and ios(?) app. You can export to excel.

• Locked thread