Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

slowbeef posted:

And while we're here, I bet his cooking loving sucks.

I should spoiler tag all that, because I am on the loving money.
Whoa now, let's not say something we can't take back! If anything, his behavior increases the odds he's a master chef: pop culture taught me they're always raging assholes.

Anyway, I'm enjoying the 'slow burn' thus far. The first game was brand new IP with something to prove, so it was vital they crank up the weird from the word 'Go.' This time around we know where it's going, at least in a general sense. I'm inclined to embrace the sense of creeping dread. (Also it's only been about 10 minutes of actual play time.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
Hanamura kind of reminds me of that guy that's present in nearly every group in history that tries to start a fight and goes "BRO HOLD ME BACK" because he's actually afraid of fighting and eventually ends up getting his rear end kicked. I think he's just a miniature frat boy. He's gonna be like, trying to bump into people to start fights but he's only gonna be able to bump into their knees or something. He's not shocking me as much as Yamada because hey, I think everybody knows or has heard of at least one guy who acts like that. Yamada was more out there, at least in the west. Gonna hold on calling him an actual creep until we talk to him more to see how serious he is, 'is what I'm getting at.

SingerOfW posted:

- I don't agree that the SHSL skills are just "there" in the first game. One way or another, each one of them did matter in some way, even if it's just Ishimaru being strict enough about the rules to challenge Mondo over it, which leads to their friendship and Ishimaru's breakdown. I suppose Celes and Hagakure's skills are close to being irrelevant, but the former made a huge gamble by having an accomplice, while the latter did make some accurate predictions.

Did Asahina's skill matter though? That's the one skill that comes to mind as being pretty useless in both character and plot last game. She could have been Super High School Level Pokemon Trainer and I don't think much would have changed.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Hanamura's appearance reminds me of the mascot from Bob' Big Boy restaurants actually. Also 'T-back' as a term for thongs or g-strings, is a reasonably popular term used by strippers/exotic dancers in the US. Or it least used to be...

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

I shall admit my wickedness.

Sherringford posted:

Did Asahina's skill matter though? That's the one skill that comes to mind as being pretty useless in both character and plot last game. She could have been Super High School Level Pokemon Trainer and I don't think much would have changed.
I don't think she would've been on such good terms with Sakura if they didn't share a common interest in sports. Sure, it could be any sport, but Aoi did mention that she was a member of many different sport clubs at her school.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
So a teenage boy is stuck with some of the most intresting women in the country, and his first thought is "I should probably try and bang one of 'em :quagmire:"?

This is an outrage, that's not how animes are supposed to act :colbert:

CrushedB
Jun 2, 2008

What is it with dudes named Hanamura and a complete lack of tact.

DapperDinosaur
May 27, 2012

This is what America's next drag super star does...

She works for a living.

orenronen posted:

...And we will stop you if we see it. Forcibly.

Nagito is great. I think he's my favorite character so far but that may be because we've seen more of him than anyone other than Hajime. I'm excited to see Nagito interact with Togami. Once they start interacting, I think it will be easier to speculate what's going on with both of them.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

SingerOfW posted:

I know it should be in the DR general thread, but everyone's been commenting on it here, so

Just for the record, Oren approached me for the podcast (after I off-handedly mentioned I'd gladly have him on.) I think he wanted to say something about DR2, and I asked him if he'd like it posted here when we were done talking.

My job is to keep this thread... I'll say "on track" and to that end, if there's stuff you might need to know about, in terms of fanservice and a greater emphasis on sexual humor, with the caveat that the characters are more well-rounded than they may first appear, I'm happy to oblige.

It's kind of why I'm saying "let's take things with a grain of salt." The game hasn't even fully set up, and I am worried about it going to hell if things go further in that regard. I do buy that DR2 is setting this stuff up to screw with us, based on the first game.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
With the speculation about Bedhead's SHSL ability, what if she didn't get in with a talent per se? What if she is just Super High-School Level Tits?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

What's really interesting is that we haven't had any SHSL repeats except for Luck. I was expecting at least one more, like maybe another SHSL Swimmer

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
I think Luck is just the only special one for research reasons maybe.
To get to the school you need to be the best in a particular skill so it would be kinda weird if there were repeats of skills because that would mean one of then was the second best.

windylion
Oct 9, 2012
Hanamura's favorite thing being his mom is so very, very telling. He's pretty creepy for now, but what I'm more worried about is this becoming "Hanamura is a creep so the girls beat him up a lot oh haha isn't that funny" which I think is way more annoying than him just being creepy.

Hopefully it won't go that route, but I guess all I can do is wait and see.

couwy
Nov 9, 2009

~just feels good~

orenronen posted:

Peko Pekoyama
Height: 172cm / Weight: 51kg / Chest: 85cm / Blood type: O
Birthday: June 30
Hates: Candy
Title: Super High-school Level Swordswoman

Just wanted to point out that that not only does Peko share Sailor Moon's VA, but her birthday and blood type as well. The fact that they're complete polar opposites makes it funnier.

couwy fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Dec 26, 2012

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

The bane of my existence.

Anoia posted:

I'm not sure what Hanamura's look is supposed to be reminiscent of, though.
I think Hanamura is supposed to be a mix of a stereotypical fast food mascot and Sanji, the womanizing chef from One Piece.

E: Christ, the Dangan Ronpa series is like the anime equivalent of a game my friends and I play called "Find the obscure reference in this Quentin Tarantino movie."

E2: Sanji hits on and flirts with women in the series, granted he might be more of a romantic than an actual pervert. I haven't kept up with the series in the last couple of years so my memory might be a little off.

LateToTheParty fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Dec 26, 2012

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.

LateToTheParty posted:

I think Hanamura is supposed to be a mix of a stereotypical fast food mascot and Sanji, the womanizing chef from One Piece.

I don't see where you got Sanji from :confused:

Anyway as silly as Hanamura seems to be right now I'd like to see what the game does with the character beyond the introduction before I advocate his death.
I'm with the camp that thinks he is just a big stupid dork that tries too hard.

Radian Angle
Oct 29, 2012

*Tress Bien Music*

Also it seems that one student here was living the dream of one from the previous game.

Son Conan posted:

:gonk:
Teruteru Hanamura: Super High-school Level Sexual Predator

Misread this as "Super High-school level Redditor".
*shudders*

Radian Angle fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Dec 26, 2012

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

So, we've got what, 3 introductions left?

I can't believe the best one is for last: Fatgami. (also I really just want to compare his official artwork to the DR1 one)

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Let's see what we've got here.

I seem to recall someone earlier describing the SHSL Princess as an "anti-Celes", and that assessment seems to be spot-on. Where Celes was a faux-foreigner with a reputation as the "Queen of Liars", Sonia seems to be naive and honest to a fault. I could see her easily getting tricked or manipulated by a potential murderer to obfuscate matters.

:stare:

Yep, that chef's a real horndog. Looks like we've got this game's Yamada, as in the creepy weirdo that everyone wishes would die first.

Like Yamada before him, I'm sure the Ultraspoon will overstay his welcome. Maybe he won't be as insufferable as the first impression makes him look, though.

Wyvernil fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Dec 26, 2012

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
I can't help but see an Ukobach when I see Hanamuras offical art, with his massive firespoon. Apparently Ukobach invented frying food.

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

The bane of my existence.

Wyvernil posted:

Like Yamada before him, I'm sure the Ultraspoon will overstay his welcome. Maybe he won't be as insufferable as the first impression makes him look.

Hanamura's specialty dish is SHSL chickencheese.

LateToTheParty fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Dec 26, 2012

Dralel
Dec 26, 2012
Seems to me like they wanted to have the SHSL Cook to be a character of stylised appearence, whilst reteaining his chubby body, it's quite a humerous mix and fits his role. I also think they want to throws us off with our first impressions about this guy because of the almost feminine look about him, which leads me to believe that this dude will again throw us off and perhaps have a role similar to Sakura-san.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Nagito posted:

...And we will stop you if we see it. Forcibly.

I'd say the chef wasworth it just for this line from Nagito. Chalk one up for the "not actually Naegi" since that dude isn't nearly assertive enough tot say anything like that.

I love how he has the "nonchalant" portrait while talking too.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
Foodgoon is the most realistic character we've met so far. Get a bunch of teenagers together and you inevitably eventually get an rear end in a top hat like him. :colbert:

I kinda guessed he'd fancy himself suave from the hair-combing animation earlier, actually. I didn't guess that he'd be a bratty jerk, but it's not especially surprising to me.

codeorange
Jul 11, 2012
Hanamaru's character is pretty drat believable to me, as I was once friends with someone in highschool who was just as perverted and immature when it came to woman as he was. We parted ways after year 9 when the school we were going to closed down. The last I heard of him that he literally tried to do anything to impress girls, including doing pushups in front of them and saying "ladies :smug:". He wasn't a bad guy at all however. And yes, he did obsess over his hair now that I remember it. Hanamaru would be the most pathetic character in the game if nothing else.

Now with Sonia Nevermind here, I wouldn't be surprised if she's the next Hagakure. Between her naivety and her interest in Japan and the occult, her contribution to cases would probably start with her demanding to know who the culprit is, and ending with her pinning the blame on witches or something because something as unsightly as a murder can't possibly happen in Japan!

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

codeorange posted:

Hanamaru's character is pretty drat believable to me, as I was once friends with someone in highschool who was just as perverted and immature when it came to woman as he was. We parted ways after year 9 when the school we were going to closed down. The last I heard of him that he literally tried to do anything to impress girls, including doing pushups in front of them and saying "ladies :smug:". He wasn't a bad guy at all however. And yes, he did obsess over his hair now that I remember it. Hanamaru would be the most pathetic character in the game if nothing else.

Yeah, people need to remember that guys like Hanamaru not only exist but are pretty common out there in the world. In general, goons gettin' mad about sex being mentioned at all is pretty distressingly par for the course.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I still say Yamada was great. :colbert: The chef guy seems entertaining too and just like his predecessor, he's obviously there as comic relief. I'm just unable to find fictional characters "creepy" unless they're actually written in a serious manner but some people really get worked up about this stuff every time.

Also the guy can increase the size of his eyebrows at will, now that's a SHSL talent.

The princess seems slightly dull, but then I suppose that's inevitable in a crew such as this. It was the same deal early on with some characters in the first game but they got better over time. Actually all the women seem relatively normal compared to Pervert Chef, Thunder God Coach, Babby Gangster and Sir Hamsterville.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Patware posted:

Yeah, people need to remember that guys like Hanamaru not only exist but are pretty common out there in the world. In general, goons gettin' mad about sex being mentioned at all is pretty distressingly par for the course.

I'd go a step further and say that goons are projecting their own awkward teenage selves onto Hanamaru. They immediately recognised Hanamaru as one them, didn't they?

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Dec 26, 2012

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

CHiRAL posted:

I don't see where you got Sanji from :confused:

Well, maybe the restaurant they're talking in is the lovely Restaurant.

But seriously he reminds me of some anime character and I can't put my finger on it.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Radian Angle posted:

*Tress Bien Music*

If he was Jean Armstrong, I don't think he'd be asking about Peko...

So yeah, SHSL Creeper kinda came out of nowhere. I was not expecting that personality from a prawn haired Pillsbury Doughboy. I also think the fire in his character art is a grease fire caused from him combing his hair over open flame.

Our princess seems far too nice and naive to stay alive for long, I fear.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I think Hanamura is going to have a complex with being a SHSL Cook rather than chef, thus causing him to try and make himself out to be more distinguished and suave than he really is. I like how he namedropped his hometown to prove his urban sophistication, but I hope it turns out he's actually from some Podunk town.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

quote:

Until he shows me otherwise, this guy is my favorite character, brazen creep that he is, he's just so stylish and slick. I have a feeling he'll be the main contributor of this script's humor, as crass as it may be in his case.

Now Sonia on the other hand, I hope she isn't as naive as these minutes with her have shown, otherwise she's setting herself up for disaster. Her sense of royalty reminds me of Celes' self-imagined sense of royalty and how it was more or less a cover-up for her morbid intentions, I wonder if this'll be the case with Sonia as well.

Very Notable
Oct 10, 2012

People who know fear are that much harder to kill.

orenronen posted:

Teruteru Hanamura
Height: 133cm / Weight: 69kg / Chest: 88cm / Blood type: A
Birthday: September 2
Hates: Junk food
Title: Super High-school Level Cook
For somebody who hates junk food he sure triggers the song a lot.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
Hell yes, I was crossing my fingers for SHSL exchange student, so pumped for the TL notes! That poo poo is one of my favorite animu running gags

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Very Notable posted:

For somebody who hates junk food he sure triggers the song a lot.

He hates the theme music for giving away his creepy intentions!

I think what bothers me the most about Hanamura in this update is actually the nosebleed sprite. I just hate the whole nosebleed trope and it makes his behavior look visually gross as well as sounding gross. But as a SHSL cook/chef, he's bound to have some other interesting things to talk about besides thongs. I just hope we get to that point soon.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Suspicious Cook posted:

Our princess seems far too nice and naive to stay alive for long, I fear.
Considering that Asahina and Hagakure survived the last game I wouldn't bet on it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I've only been skimming the thread, but has it been pointed out that Chef Boy-ar-dee has a corncob similar to Mondo's from the previous game?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I'd go a step further and say that goons are projecting their own awkward teenage selves onto Hanamaru. They immediately recognised Hanamaru as one them, didn't they?
Ain't no loathing like self-loathing.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
His hair is more like a shrimp.

I hope Hanamura is smooth as silk and charms Chiaki, to the disdain of the thread. :allears:

BioEnchanted posted:

With the speculation about Bedhead's SHSL ability, what if she didn't get in with a talent per se? What if she is just Super High-School Level Tits?

Hold that thought until the next update. :argh:

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
If the chef isn't the first one killed, then he isn't going to get killed for pretty much the rest of the game. That's my complete nonsense prediction. He has the potential to be a pretty funny character depending on how they play him.

Of course, considering his already clearly low moral values, I can imagine he'd also be very likely to kill someone. He's good with knives too, being a cook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Inch Bee
Apr 17, 2003
Damn you, Lyle, and damn your style.
At the risk of committing prematurely to my DR2 Is A Videogame About Videogames theory: the inclusion of a princess is interesting. Especially because of Hinata's immediate and all-consuming attraction to her. Granted, she's nice-looking, and "love at first sight" isn't unheard-of in any genre, much less high-school anime. But DR is twisty and genre-savvy enough that something about Hinata's instant infatuation seems suspicious. Especially since we have reason to believe someone's messed with his memories/identity.

So: Hinata is our blank-slate protagonist (players can certainly relate to him being a big fan of Dangan Ronpa Hope's Peak Academy) and now there's a princess who, if it came to that, he'd probably be inclined to try and save. Is someone trying to set up a traditional videogame narrative here?

• Locked thread