Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Mughe posted:

No. Flashing CM10/CM10.1 on the galaxy S3 can lead to losing IMEI/ERI information and basically dropping your phone from the network. Something about dummy information being loaded during boot up of the phone. It can thankfully be fixed but it's a long process.

This problem happens because the GS3 has a special area in memory that contains a backup of the IMEI, and it "restores" the IMEI from that space each time you flash. The issue is that Samsung are stupid and the space actually contains a null value out-of-the box. If you have root, you can use the console emulator to force a backup of your actual IMEI to that space, and then you'll never have an issue again.

Most of the current rooting howtos I've seen for the S3 include this backup as one of the steps before flashing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Anyone been using CM 10.1 on toro/Verizon Galaxy Nexus ? How is it? I'm hesitant moving from 10.0.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
I tried to root my Galaxy Nexus with the Nexus Root Toolkit. I've done it before with my previous phone (had to replace since USB quit working) but this time I broke something. Now it's stuck on the boot splash screen and recovery is hosed. Is there anything I can do at this point, or if not, is there any place out there that buys broken Android phones?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

TheReverend posted:

Anyone been using CM 10.1 on toro/Verizon Galaxy Nexus ? How is it? I'm hesitant moving from 10.0.

Using it right now, it is quite stable. The only hiccup I had was having to change the Mobile Data settings to match Verizons (LTE). I think that was mostly in part to flashing the very first nightly I could get.

Other than that it is great, I am on the 12-23 nightly and haven't had any complaints other than the stock Email app not obeying the vibration/notification settings, which I think is a bug in stock 4.2.1.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Is there any known fix to the bluetooth stack problem in the Nexus10? I heard using a version of CM would do it: does their mod for the N10 fix the bluetooth?

TheReverend posted:

Dunno if this helps, but I'm using it on toroplus (Sprint) and I've had no issues with the nightlies.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

TheReverend posted:

I've been running it, I got 12-23 on mine right now. Its just as fast as 10.0.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Did any of you who switched from 10 to 10.1 do a full wipe? I know in the phone thread (or was it here?) a couple people posted that they felt that doing an upgrade from 4.1 to 4.2 presented issues, while doing a clean install did not.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

hooah posted:

Did any of you who switched from 10 to 10.1 do a full wipe? I know in the phone thread (or was it here?) a couple people posted that they felt that doing an upgrade from 4.1 to 4.2 presented issues, while doing a clean install did not.

Nope. CM10 to CM10.1 should be an easy upgrade install. There are a few precautions though. Just do these steps:

1) Download the update using cmupdater, but do NOT install it using cmupdater.
2) Download the latest google apps from here: http://goo.im/gapps/gapps-jb-20121212-signed.zip
3) If you're using the expaned lock screen pattern rather than the default lock screen pattern, remove your lock or set it back to the default style.
4) Manually boot to recovery
5) do a full backup
6) Manually flash the CM10.1 zip downloaded from the updater
7) Manually flash the gapps zip you downloaded
8) If Clock is force closing manually clear the data for just the built in clock app. You'll have to remake all of your alarms.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

klosterdev posted:

I tried to root my Galaxy Nexus with the Nexus Root Toolkit. I've done it before with my previous phone (had to replace since USB quit working) but this time I broke something. Now it's stuck on the boot splash screen and recovery is hosed. Is there anything I can do at this point, or if not, is there any place out there that buys broken Android phones?

Can you still access the bootloader? It's volume down plus power instead of col nip plus power. If you can access that you should be able to flash a new recovery with fastboot commands.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

This problem happens because the GS3 has a special area in memory that contains a backup of the IMEI, and it "restores" the IMEI from that space each time you flash. The issue is that Samsung are stupid and the space actually contains a null value out-of-the box. If you have root, you can use the console emulator to force a backup of your actual IMEI to that space, and then you'll never have an issue again.

Most of the current rooting howtos I've seen for the S3 include this backup as one of the steps before flashing.
This is hilarious. I like that it's better than the SGS situation where the user could permanently delete their IMEI while still being completely broken and useless. :allears: Oh, Samsung...

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
You don't even need to be rooted to do it, if you've got ADB installed.

adb reboot nvbackup

or root + terminal emulator and running

su
reboot nvbackup

Will take care of fixing the built in backup. There's also another manual backup method if you want to be extra safe, can find details on both of these options here.

cregets
Nov 21, 2002

I've got a Galaxy Nexus(toro) which I just rooted and flashed with CM 10.0.0. the cell phone will charge, but will NOT connect to the computer. I have tried two different cables and on 3 different USB ports on two different computers. I have the Samsung drivers downloaded and installed. I did not have this issue before the unlock/flash of CM. Is this is a known issue? Is there anyway around it?

cregets fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Dec 27, 2012

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Ok, all updated to CM 10.1 on my Verizon Galaxy Nexus, but now I get very low cell signal. Is this something caused by a wrong setting on that phone debug menu?

NiVRaM88
May 19, 2009
I'm on the latest CM10.1 nightly on a Nexus 4 and seems to be having some sms/MMS issues (have noticed this for atleast the last 2 weeks of nightlies). Basically I tend to only receive maybe 30% of picture messages, with no indication of picture messages that are never received. I also seem to be receiving frequent duplicate sms messages sent immediately after each other. Is this a common issue and is anyone aware of a fix?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM
OG Razr Maxx Jelly Bean. Pretty drat nice so far. Totally not missing my Nexus at all now.

And keeping root? Bonus. So easy.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I've got a galaxy nexus on tmo, just updated from cm10 to cm10.1. Didn't bother wiping anything but cache. Everything seems to be going fine, but now I've got 2 calendar apps again. I used the gapps 4.2 when I was on CM10, so I suspect its lingering around from that.. but I can't find it.

I checked /system/apps and had no luck, so I tried :
#find / -name *alendar* -maxdepth 15
And still no luck finding more than just the 1 version. Any other ideas?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

deong posted:

I've got a galaxy nexus on tmo, just updated from cm10 to cm10.1. Didn't bother wiping anything but cache. Everything seems to be going fine, but now I've got 2 calendar apps again. I used the gapps 4.2 when I was on CM10, so I suspect its lingering around from that.. but I can't find it.

I checked /system/apps and had no luck, so I tried :
#find / -name *alendar* -maxdepth 15
And still no luck finding more than just the 1 version. Any other ideas?
Should be in /system/app/ and I think it's called GoogleCalendar.apk. Don't delete the transport or provider APKs.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I only see these:
/system/app/Calendar.apk
/system/app/CalendarProvider.apk
/system/app/GoogleCalendarSyncAdapter.apk
/data/app-lib/com.google.android.calendar-2

Where would the other cal app be? I guess I'm expecting to see 2 calendar applications...

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

deong posted:

I only see these:
/system/app/Calendar.apk
/system/app/CalendarProvider.apk
/system/app/GoogleCalendarSyncAdapter.apk
/data/app-lib/com.google.android.calendar-2

Where would the other cal app be? I guess I'm expecting to see 2 calendar applications...
The other should be in /data/app/ since it's now a Play Store app at /data/app/com.google.android.calendar-x.apk

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Oh hay.
Thanks. I didn't realize the app-lib was the market stuff. That did it.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Since flashing CM10 on my verizon gnex I haven't been able to "download" mms messages on either chompsms or my default app. Any ideas?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Lblitzer posted:

Since flashing CM10 on my verizon gnex I haven't been able to "download" mms messages on either chompsms or my default app. Any ideas?
Bad APN settings?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I've managed to root my 2nd gen Kindle Fire and it's been great so far. I'm still running the stock rom with the Apex UI over it and Google's apps installed.

However, I'm having a weird issue with Chrome. Once installed it runs absolutely perfectly, even syncing pages from my phone and PC. The problem comes whenever I reboot my tablet. If I do this, Chrome gives me an error on launch reading "Critical functionality required to run Chrome is missing. Either your Chrome installation is incomplete or not compatible with this version of Android."

The only way to resolve this is to navigate to system\app and reinstall the Chrome apk. Once I've done this Chrome works perfectly again until the next time I reboot. Anyone have any idea what the Kindle's doing on startup to knacker Chrome and how I can stop it? Chrome's installed as a system app and the permissions on the apk are rw- r-- r--.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Lblitzer posted:

I haven't experienced that. Are you on the latest nightly? I'm on 20121223

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Running 10.1 nightly on a TMO GSIII. Installed from recovery, then installed newest gapps, then wiped cache. I'm seeing a ton of crash notifications, and horrible Bluetooth quality, and no 4g signal. They're all known problems, I just have to decide if I should go back to 10 for now or stay out of laziness.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

jiggaman0204 posted:

Running 10.1 nightly on a TMO GSIII. Installed from recovery, then installed newest gapps, then wiped cache. I'm seeing a ton of crash notifications, and horrible Bluetooth quality, and no 4g signal. They're all known problems, I just have to decide if I should go back to 10 for now or stay out of laziness.
Why would you wipe cache after flashing? That's wholly unnecessary.

Also T-Mobile doesn't have LTE and CM doesn't use the (erroneous) 4G signal indicator. Your signal will be either G, E, 3G, or H.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

LastInLine posted:

Why would you wipe cache after flashing? That's wholly unnecessary.

Also T-Mobile doesn't have LTE and CM doesn't use the (erroneous) 4G signal indicator. Your signal will be either G, E, 3G, or H.

Sorry. I no longer get H.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

jiggaman0204 posted:

Sorry. I no longer get H.
Does it idle on 3G or does it always stay on EDGE? Did you try using the dialer code to ensure WCDMA is enabled and preferred?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Since I updated my Verizon Galaxy Nexus to CM10.1 a day or two ago, the built-in browser occasionally has this weird graphical glitch where the loading bar bleeds downwards a bit, and the menu bar (I think that's what it's called - the bar with the address field, tab icon, and overflow three dots) usually gets stuck at the top of the screen. When this happens, that portion stays put, even if I change the page. It will go away if I close out the browser. Here's a picture of the progress bar thing:

What's going on?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

hooah posted:

Since I updated my Verizon Galaxy Nexus to CM10.1 a day or two ago, the built-in browser occasionally has this weird graphical glitch where the loading bar bleeds downwards a bit, and the menu bar (I think that's what it's called - the bar with the address field, tab icon, and overflow three dots) usually gets stuck at the top of the screen. When this happens, that portion stays put, even if I change the page. It will go away if I close out the browser. Here's a picture of the progress bar thing:

What's going on?
My brother gets this exactly the same on his stock 4.2.1 GSM GNex, but I never saw it on mine. So that isn't much help but I can tell you it isn't specific to your model or ROM.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

rotaryfun posted:

I haven't experienced that. Are you on the latest nightly? I'm on 20121223

I downloaded the latest Nightly and it fixed that issue, however Chompsms force closes when downloading MMS's so I just uninstalled it and see how I like the default messaging app.

Also, my music seems to be stuck in limbo. I threw on a bunch of stuff via USB last week, installed CM10 and had no problems with playback but installing the latest nightly it seems to have vanished and my root folder is now storage/emulated/0. What?

Edit: More of a headache than I'd like to deal with right now, just going to move back to CM10 instead.

cage-free egghead fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Dec 28, 2012

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
Just flashed CM 10.1 on my ATT SG3 from 10.0. 10.0 worked fine but I cannot get any sort of mobile internet to work with 10.1. My apn settings have not changed from 10.0 but voice calls work.

I hosed up and did not do a nandroid backup so I know I deserve this mess I am in. Are these mobile internet connectivity issues a known issue? Any known workarounds?

edit: VVV yes I tried rebooting (no change), flashing 10.0 (did not work, stuck at spinning CM load screen). Weirdly enough, "clock" app crashes upon booting the phone...

madkapitolist fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Dec 28, 2012

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Sounds obvious but did you try rebooting the phone?

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

CM10.1 doesn't auto detect you network type on some devices, you'll have to that in the settings or via the dialer code. You also have to clear data for the clock app since the pre configured settings clash with one of CM's changes.

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006

Konjuro posted:

CM10.1 doesn't auto detect you network type on some devices, you'll have to that in the settings or via the dialer code. You also have to clear data for the clock app since the pre configured settings clash with one of CM's changes.

Care to elaborate? What settings are you referring to?

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

madkapitolist posted:

Care to elaborate? What settings are you referring to?

Settings > More... (under Wireless & networks) > Mobile Networks> Network mode

I'm not sure which is the proper network mode for att, but LTE/GSM/WCDMA should cover all your bases for now. If that doesn't work you can access the dialer menu with *#*#4636#*#* and choosing phone information.

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
Thanks. I just flashed the 10.1 nightly from the 24th and everything works perfectly! No crashes and 4g works fine. This will do in the mean while... Just to reiterate for anyone else experiencing this issue. Att sg3, use cm 12/24 nightly!

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

If you still want to go back to 10 you'll have to do a full wipe. I'd recommend putting the rom and gapps on a micro SD card so you have something to install from after and don't have to resort to using Odin.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
The latest nightly (28th) for d2att looks like it wiped out my cell networks, where I can't get a cell connection or make a call or anything. Has this happened to anyone else?

Also I am trying out CyanDelta for the first time and the automated install script doesn't work in the recovery that I have. Is this because of of the change in subdirectories in 10.1 or should I update my recovery (it is only a couple months old I think)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Goetta posted:

The latest nightly (28th) for d2att looks like it wiped out my cell networks, where I can't get a cell connection or make a call or anything. Has this happened to anyone else?

This happened to me when switching to 10.1 from 10.0 on my Verizon GNex (nightly from the 23rd). After a while it got some reception, but it was really low, and sometimes upon rebooting I get no reception. I'll try getting into the phone information using that dialer code and see if I can fix things.