Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SNOOP CATTE
Oct 14, 2012

Take that, you stupid cat!
I've been known to get drunk and try to teach attractive girls about nuclear weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BV
Oct 23, 2005

NO ITS FUNNY. FUCK YOU. TIA

Decrepus posted:

A cute girl asked me out one time but I turned her down to raid Molten Core.

How the gently caress are all you guys getting asked out? I don't play video games, watch anime, have long hair, wear a fedora, eat cheetos, or any of that poo poo and I have never even remotely been asked out in any fashion ever.

So I guess that's my nerdiest story.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

BV posted:

How the gently caress are all you guys getting asked out? I don't play video games, watch anime, have long hair, wear a fedora, eat cheetos, or any of that poo poo and I have never even remotely been asked out in any fashion ever.

Ladies and gentlemen, I present the "before" section of a later "oblivious to girls hitting on me" post.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

BV posted:

I've never been asked out, but a long time ago in a galaxy far far away I've had multiple random girls I've never met (good looking ones too) come up to me and start talking to me. As I was a goon at the time (have been since 2000) I obviously had no idea what was going on, so I guess they could have been trying to make a new friend...for their bed...because their boyfriend has a broken arm and needs help putting it together.

Edit: I've also had a pretty lady tell me she was thinking about me, and try to talk to me about things she was quite obviously not interested in that I am interested in, ask a co-worker about me, send me a non-naked picture :(, but she was not at all interested in me. :confused: I did read over the hive of stupidity known as Reddit that in a probably not scientific study that both men and women were were wrong 70% of the time about the interest of a woman in a man when they watched a speed dating thing, while they were only wrong about men 30% of the time. I probably nerded out too much and screwed it up, and being a nerd I have no idea what I did. Like all goons, a picture of myself will make babies cry, but in real life I look normal.

Also, I've been a goon since 2000 and this is my second account.

Splicer posted:

Ladies and gentlemen, I present the "before" section of a later "oblivious to girls hitting on me" post.
And here I am!

Yaos fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Dec 29, 2012

BV
Oct 23, 2005

Splicer posted:

I would love to flatter myself and think that this was the case. Unfortunately it is not.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

BV posted:

I would love to flatter myself and think that this was the case. Unfortunately it is not.
In a few years that one time a girl talked to you without being required to do so will be warped by your mind to make it seem like she was hitting on you.

Edit: Both times I've actually tried to ask a girl out I got dry mouth, sick to my stomach, the shakes, and the poops. Doing new things, even to see a movie by myself at a theater, gives me similar symptoms. I've not played any games on Steam for the past week because I get too nervous to start any of them. Since I also like nerdy things that makes me a nerd, because all nerds are shy. I've recently looked it up and this does not make me a nerd, this is an anxiety disorder. I even tried MoodGYM and got so worked up I had to stop. :( I am going to see a therapist on Monday though, maybe I can shake off this anxiety and depression.

Maybe I can be a Sperg Confession success story one day. :unsmith: It makes me wonder how many other "nerdy" people are the same way, only nerdy because they fit the description of what a nerdy person is and thinking it's normal. I have no idea why I've no problem talking to people online though, I can even talk to my co-worker that sits two feet away easier through a chat room while he's there and we're chatting about what we're chatting about. It's bizarre.

Edit: I've been editing this post to avoid playing Skyrim, and to avoid getting up to go out to the kitchen to eat or drink something. :smith: I wish I could talk to people in real life as easily as I can with people on the Internet. I've got no problem telling all the goons about my embarrassing and humiliating problems.

Edit 2: What's really bad is I always know what I want to say, but when it comes time to say it I stand there like a nerd not saying anything. So I know I want to ask a nice looking woman out, but when it comes times to do it I suddenly find a cure for constipation and an appreciation of random objects in the room.

Yaos fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Dec 29, 2012

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Yaos posted:

In a few years that one time a girl talked to you without being required to do so will be warped by your mind to make it seem like she was hitting on you.

Edit: Both times I've actually tried to ask a girl out I got dry mouth, sick to my stomach, the shakes, and the poops. Doing new things, even to see a movie by myself at a theater, gives me similar symptoms. I've not played any games on Steam for the past because I get too nervous. Since I also like nerdy things that makes me a nerd, because all nerds are shy. I've recently looked it up and this does not make me a nerd, this is an anxiety disorder. I even tried MoodGYM and got so worked up I had to stop. :( I am going to see a therapist on Monday though, maybe I can shake off this anxiety and depression.

Maybe I can be a Sperg Confession success story one day. :unsmith: It makes me wonder how many other "nerdy" people are the same way, only nerdy because they fit the description of what a nerdy person is and thinking it's normal. It makes sense for the description; people with social phobias will be attracted to non-social hobbies and jobs, and technology is a huge area.

I tried doing MoodGYM during the American election, and there was a big section of questions like "when was the last time someone made you very angry?" My every answer in that section was "Mitt Romney." I think it's seriously spergin' that I spend two hours a day following American politics, and less time on politics within my own country.

Krazie K
Aug 16, 2007

You can run but you cannot hide! Red & White is Worldwide!!!

When I was 15 I got fired for drinking ("...but it's lunch break!!!") on the job.

I was so naive, I honestly did not know that one was not permitted to drink (even for 'lunch') on the job site. Duh-huh-huh!

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

When i was 14 my cousin brought me to a whorehouse in south america, I had a deck of playing cards cause i really liked internet poker and playing spades. I had BCGs at the time and braces. The girl was real nice but she didnt seem to understand me trying to explain that all I wanted to do was watch cartoons and play spades. She started playing with my balls and I coldcocked that bitch. She started screaming and a big brolic colombian came inside the room. Long story short my cousin came in and got me out of there, I spent the rest of the night watching dragon ball z in spanish and drinking coca cola. Goku is the poo poo.

Negerlepper
Dec 4, 2012

by Lowtax
once... i did my homework

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp

BV posted:

Dude half the people talking about women being interested in them in this thread are delusional. If a woman ever talked to you, these people would consider that the equivilent to her rubbing your dick.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

asciidic posted:

Jesus Christ I hope this is the last thing I remember.

My friends and I used gamer lingo in regular, serious conversation, and not just with each other or other gamers. Saying "owned" and berating those who pronounced it "poned," calling people CAL-O/OGL scrubs, "leetsauce," "geegee," using "sixpool" to mean "assemble and quickly travel to the destination as a group," "zerg," "nub," "CAL-I AS gently caress!" etc.

gently caress you, thread. :suicide:

I used to do this too, but I look back on it fondly. That poo poo owned back then.

Well, maybe not just randomly in conversation, but me and my friends used to use that all the time in serious conversations.

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

No one gives a fuck about shit.
So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,
Cause shit's fucked anyway.
Shit is run in to the ground.

I don't wanna think about it,
I just wanna get down.

BV posted:

I'm on the line between attractive and unattractive and I get a lot of female attention, but it's always from women that I have no interest in. I guess I'm unattractive enough to look like a safe bet so I get all kinds of weirdo girls flirting with me in really obscene and awkward fashion. If I was slightly better looking I would probably be too intimidating to the kind of girls who walk up and shove their interest in my face.

I've never done anything with a girl who has initiated something like that and I've only regretted it once. It makes me feel pretty bad rejecting homely, creepy, awkward, or boring girls all the time! Usually I just change the subject so a lot of them think I'm gay now.

Blunt Force Trauma fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Dec 30, 2012

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax
I can name a nonzero number of professional Magic: The Gathering players.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

GottaPayDaTrollToll posted:

I can name a nonzero number of professional Magic: The Gathering players.

I can also do that. poo poo is that wrong? It's just like nerdier poker players right?

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

SNOOP CATTE posted:

I've been known to get drunk and try to teach attractive girls about nuclear weapons.

You know, this might actually get you laid if you work for the Pentagon. Do you work for the Pentagon?

Stormtroopman
Jan 28, 2009

Michael Jackson posted:

i played ADOM everyday for over 2 years. I joined an Adom fanfiction site and we talked adom strategies and content. I made a gnome farmer and maxed out all stats without savescumming. I have killed so many blue dragons. I even daydreamed playing adom with random dungeons and enemies when i wasnt playing it.

I used to print out my ADOM memorial files (think of it as a kind of after-action report after your character dies) and bring them to school and show them to my ADOM-playing friend. We never got much past level 15 or so because we were bad at games.

I still play that game.

Transcendent Man
Dec 23, 2012

"Death gives meaning to our lives. It gives importance and value to time. Time would be meaningless if there were too much of it." - Ray Kurzweil
I used to memorize Fallout 3 Item Codes. To help with memorization I'd sometimes carry a piece of paper with the codes on me.
I also used to quote Halo characters and make Grunt imitations.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."

Mezzanon posted:

I can also do that. poo poo is that wrong? It's just like nerdier poker players right?

Not only can I name a lot of professional Magic players, I used to play with one for years.

it's Conley Woods, and he's kind of a gigantic rear end in a top hat, even before he went pro

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Phthisis posted:

it's Conley Woods, and he's kind of a gigantic rear end in a top hat, even before he went pro

I'm not sure how the global magic community is, but the above describes most of the skilled magic players I know.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Krazie K posted:

When I was 15 I got fired for drinking ("...but it's lunch break!!!") on the job.

I was so naive, I honestly did not know that one was not permitted to drink (even for 'lunch') on the job site. Duh-huh-huh!

Same for me, I was a huge dork in middle school and got kicked out for having a bottle of Jameson. So nerdy ugh.

BV
Oct 23, 2005

tbp posted:

I was one of the best WCIII players at age 13 . I stopped but I'm incredibly nostalgic for the old days.

Did you ever know a guy named DeeZ?

mmj
Dec 22, 2006

I've always been a bit confrontational

SNOOP CATTE posted:

On the other hand, if you start saying that's a euphemism you become mind shatteringly awesome in no time flat

I've done the same things as a lot of the goons in this thread but the bad self esteem one led to the story my friends repeat the most. In middle school a pretty good looking girl asked me if I wanted to go see a movie with her. To my credit, I realized she was asking me out. On the other hand, my answer was "that's just mean" because I assumed it was the first part of a practical joke. I really liked that girl too.

Edit: I also did quiz bowl for three years. I was known for being one of the best mythology players in the country and my habit of getting hosed in half drunk the night before games. I would often answer questions when people thought I had passed out at the table. I still name my pets after mythological figures. My cat's name is Tez, short for Tezcatlipoca the Aztec god of war associated with the jaguar. I call him my godlet of war.

mmj fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Dec 31, 2012

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

I do remember from middle school a girl got one of her friends to ask me out. I said no, assuming it to be a joke, and a few minutes later the girl I turned down tried to punch me. At the time I made no connection between the two events, and now that I think about it I bet her friend gave her a fictional story about how I turned it down. Maybe this is why I am terrified to talk to women I am attracted to, or maybe I am crazy.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Oh, younglings and your Pokeymans...

I was a proto-nerd back in the 70's. I had all of the Star Trek stuff available at the time, which wasn't a lot. I had the Starfleet Technical Manual, which I took to school for weeks after I got it. I'd pore over the pages of diagrams, thinking how cool it would be if they could be real. I did go to a con, made my poor Mom drive me to Richmond, and sperged out over all the stuff in the dealer room that I had no money for. The best I could do was to buy the rank ribbon for a future, someday, maybe captains uniform. Maybe science officer. I even carved my own small phaser out of balsa, with working button. And I made some tribbles from fake fur.

I also got into LotR pretty heavily. I was on the bus home reading the Guide to Middle Earth when one of the hotter girls in the neighborhood asked what I was reading so intently. I recall being at least a little condescending in my reply. I once got in trouble for writing my name in Sindarin on the chalkboard. A cute girl actually clapped when I said it was Sindarin (Hey! Stupid teen me! Nerd girl alert! Dumbass!)

I actually had a girl ask me to the Ring Dance junior year. I had a spiffy three-piece, powder blue suit with a tie as thick as an arm. I basically ignored the poor girl the whole night, even at the party at a friends afterwards. Hmmm, for some odd reason we never went out again or even talked much...

My senior year I took a programming class - one crt and one thermal printer linked via an acoustic coupler to a mainframe in another town. I managed to find out the password to our arch-rival schools account, and left them a little present that would either tell them their school sucked or run a looped line feed to shoot paper out of the printer. Having a weird schedule I spent hours playing the text Star Fleet game.

College brought D&D for hours,a camo boonie hat with the side flipped up Aussie style and pinned with an ankh made of old square nails and copper wire. I founded a science fiction and fantasy club, and was elected "emperor". Our entry to the local Christmas parade was a Toyota pickup covered in foil, with me in a homemade semi-Star Wars-esque costume. At least I wasn't the ginger "barbarian" with the badly made prop sword and loin cloth marching behind...

Now as an adult (married, even), I have come to teaching, and am king of the dipshits at school. All the Star Wars, Trek, Adventure Time and general sciffy fanboys look up to me for some reason. Probably because they can tell I'm the only one on the staff who shares their interests. When I spoke for a student at graduation (a tradition at our school), I presented him with a Star Wars model I'd made.

So cheer up nerdlings! There is some hope of eventually getting girls! It even looks easier these days, with more girls getting into SF, fantasy and anime. You are, however, likely doomed to some degree of nerdality forever.

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice:
Aaah, I love my "sperg-thing" on December 31st.

In the Netherlands, everyone is allowed to use fireworks. And for some reason I can not explain, fireworks scare the poo poo out of me.

Heck, I am even making up excuses to not show up to party's tonight, because I can evade fireworks. I will probally show up anyways, because after 1 a.m. stuff usually calms down. But ugh.

For the people that own a dog. I am abit like that today. Skittery as poo poo.

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax

Thatim posted:

Aaah, I love my "sperg-thing" on December 31st.

In the Netherlands, everyone is allowed to use fireworks. And for some reason I can not explain, fireworks scare the poo poo out of me.

Heck, I am even making up excuses to not show up to party's tonight, because I can evade fireworks. I will probally show up anyways, because after 1 a.m. stuff usually calms down. But ugh.

For the people that own a dog. I am abit like that today. Skittery as poo poo.

Are you hiding under the table and done a crap on the floor already?

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice:

Limp Wristed Limey posted:

Are you hiding under the table and done a crap on the floor already?

I think in a few more hours.. yes. Yes indeed.

retromantic
Aug 10, 2008

just snackin' on banana twins

Fautzo posted:

Me too, except for me it was some awful disney mmo.

Hahaha, was it Toontown? I played the demo. I cut my teeth on Dark Age of Camelot when I was 11, so I was already too old to be playing that...

Psychlone
Sep 3, 2004

It's never straight up and down!
I've posted this is these threads before, so here it is again!

I'm thanked in the foreword for the Second Edition of the official Star Trek Encyclopedia for providing corrections to the First Edition.

CHUCK WAS TAKEN
Aug 1, 2004
this kid has heart
Back when I was a freshman in college, I was hanging out with my then-girlfriend and some goon at another friends house. My buddy and I, see we were real cool kids, so we started playing some chess. It got pretty tense, and somehow he stalemated a game that I TOTALLY SHOULDVE loving WON. I went into full blown nerd rage and threw such a tantrum in front of the host's younger siblings that my girlfriend made me send them a written apology for being a ridiculous manchild.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Wow, this just happened. Met girl on OKCupid, we talk, not my type. We have a date a couple days ago, she's seriously not my type. She keeps texting me, I text back, even though I'm not interested. I got home from work tonight, start watching Giant Bomb's quick look of Euro Truck Simulator 2, she wants me to come over. I kinda stall because I want to really watch this, I mean I'm laughing my rear end off and embarrassing myself with my roommate and her friends downstairs. She spells it out, I go over, there's still 30 minutes left on the quick look. I sleep with her and literally all I could think about is "gently caress, hurry up, I want to get home and finish that", didn't enjoy it. So I go home after we're done and I finish watching it. I really wish I would've just stayed home in the first place, I'm sorry Vinny :(

Fleshreaper
Sep 22, 2008
When I was in elementary school I made my friend film me beating every boss in the legend of zelda OOT. I have no idea why.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

uG posted:

Dude half the people talking about women being interested in them in this thread are delusional. If a woman ever talked to you, these people would consider that the equivilent to her rubbing your dick.

I love this thread just for all the "I once blew off my hot girlfriend to go play DnD with my friends. Then when I was skateboarding home I did a 180 double-backflip and this chick asked me out while I was in midair but I said nope I gotta go home and watch E-sports on my dialup connection :(" replies.

Rad ROM Max
Mar 10, 2011

by XyloJW
Okay, I admit it. baku is my normal account which is just a regular guy posting on the forums about current events, being creative with photoshop or just being helpful overall but then my dark side likes to come out and post sometimes as dark baku and he flames and trolls everyone with reckless abandon and then I always have to post as baku again trying to calm everyone down. I feel guilty about concealing the true identity of dark baku for so long but yes: it was actually me.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

CisMaleTheSensitiv posted:

When i was 14 my cousin brought me to a whorehouse in south america, I had a deck of playing cards cause i really liked internet poker and playing spades. I had BCGs at the time and braces. The girl was real nice but she didnt seem to understand me trying to explain that all I wanted to do was watch cartoons and play spades. She started playing with my balls and I coldcocked that bitch. She started screaming and a big brolic colombian came inside the room. Long story short my cousin came in and got me out of there, I spent the rest of the night watching dragon ball z in spanish and drinking coca cola. Goku is the poo poo.
I'm certain you just made this up, but I'll happily buy the next instalment of your fanciful tales.

Yaos posted:

Edit: Both times I've actually tried to ask a girl out I got dry mouth, sick to my stomach, the shakes, and the poops. Doing new things, even to see a movie by myself at a theater, gives me similar symptoms. I've not played any games on Steam for the past week because I get too nervous to start any of them. Since I also like nerdy things that makes me a nerd, because all nerds are shy. I've recently looked it up and this does not make me a nerd, this is an anxiety disorder. I even tried MoodGYM and got so worked up I had to stop. :( I am going to see a therapist on Monday though, maybe I can shake off this anxiety and depression.
A lot of guys think that because a girl smiles sweetly at you and asks how you are feeling, it is a sign of sexual interest and not extroversion and empathy.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Mar 3, 2013

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012
I once took 3 says off and slept on the floor next to my computer with my headset on and logged into chat trying to be the first cleric on my server to get my Cleric Epic (Rez Stick!) in Everquest. Two days was spent camping a stupid dragon and it sucked , it took 48 hours, and when he finally spawned we got KS'd. It turned into a massive poo poo-fest with people reporting each other and GM's showing up. I still ended up being first:smuggo:, and gods was having the rez stick useful for raiding.

basx
Aug 16, 2004

Sassy old man!

Smokewagon posted:

I once took 3 says off and slept on the floor next to my computer with my headset on and logged into chat trying to be the first cleric on my server to get my Cleric Epic (Rez Stick!) in Everquest. Two days was spent camping a stupid dragon and it sucked , it took 48 hours, and when he finally spawned we got KS'd. It turned into a massive poo poo-fest with people reporting each other and GM's showing up. I still ended up being first:smuggo:, and gods was having the rez stick useful for raiding.

When I played WoW, I always felt like my grandfather when I told younger players about Everquest horror stories. I could picture myself in front of the fire in my rocker. "In MY day, we didn't have ghosts and spirit rezzes! You had to run naked from Freeport to Sebilis, and if you lost your corpse, you lost everything! EVERYTHING! Oh, and money weighed something. And uphill in the snow both ways and blah blah blah..."

If it makes you feel better, I once did the same thing for the Eyepatch of Plunder. On an alt. God, I spent so much time playing that game it still makes me a bit ill.

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

The Man of Steel teaser makes me cry a little every time I watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaperJohnny
Dec 29, 2012
In elementary school I was the dragon kid.
I wore dragon shirts, I wore dragon jewelry, and I talked about them non-stop.
I even signed my homework with a lovely little dragon next to my name.
At one point I believe I also got into a fight with a friend over who was the real "dragon master." :suicide:

Bonus: When I was young my parents actually took me somewhere to have me tested for asperger's syndrome.
This was due in part to my tendency to stab other people with pencils when forced to socialize.
I do not have asperger's syndrome. :saddowns:

• Locked thread