Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Suicide Watch posted:

Yeah, this must be it. Thanks!

Is it weird if I use noise reduction and then add in artificial grain? Am I just bipolar?

depends what kind of grain you're adding. I'd rather shoot clean iso and add grain than to shoot at a high iso for the "grain" effect of noise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Did the new 4.3 update make LR weird for anyone else? Where it was running perfectly smooth in 4.1 and 4.2, all of a sudden it will nearly crash and sometimes freezes if I switch to Develop mode, takes much longer to load initially, and lots of other things now make it chug along.

Is there some setting I can change?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Is it even worth trying to close out the light source at the top of the frame? I didn't notice it when I took the shot and now it's really distracting me :sigh:

I've tried cloning it out a few times, each is a bit closer, but I'm just not very good at it. Any clone tool tips?

I guess I could just crop it a bit more and then clone out the rest.

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Dec 26, 2012

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Google Butt posted:

Is it even worth trying to close out the light source at the top of the frame? I didn't notice it when I took the shot and now it's really distracting me :sigh:

I've tried cloning it out a few times, each is a bit closer, but I'm just not very good at it. Any clone tool tips?

I guess I could just crop it a bit more and then clone out the rest.

This should be an OK clonejob as there's a strong set of horizontals to work with - if you set your clone point on the border of the blue and tan and then move the destination point horizontally and make sure the preview clone is level (this may only be in newer photoshop versions, you'll have to just eyeball it if theres no clone preview) you should be able to take out all the fitting in a few strokes. Make sure you 'stop and go' or the clone source will pick up the fitting as you pass over where it was originally, the brown bit at the top you'll need to do a lot of short strokes.

Literal 3 minute job:

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Dec 27, 2012

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
Make sure you create an empty transparent layer first, and have the tool of your choice sample "Current & Below".

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

While you're at it, can you clone that sandwich into my tummy?

It looks tasty.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

xzzy posted:

While you're at it, can you clone that sandwich into my tummy?

It looks tasty.

:D

So I spent a hour dicking around with cloning and working with a mask..then I tried the content-aware patch tool.

Took 15 minutes and imo more passable than the results I was getting before.

edit: How does the rest of it look? Colors/levels?

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Was going through some old photos and decided to try cleaning this one up. It was taken at a car show, there was a rope barrier at the top right and some people's feet/legs that I removed. The light source is awful I know, just wondering if it still looks obviously edited

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you

Google Butt posted:

:D

So I spent a hour dicking around with cloning and working with a mask..then I tried the content-aware patch tool.

Took 15 minutes and imo more passable than the results I was getting before.

edit: How does the rest of it look? Colors/levels?

The colors look good to me but I am on my laptop with a crummy screen. There is a hot spot that catches my eye on his top forehead and I personally would add some more contrast overall but otherwise it looks good. I would soften the patch work done on the upper right corner a touch, it looks too sharp.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

neckbeard posted:

Was going through some old photos and decided to try cleaning this one up. It was taken at a car show, there was a rope barrier at the top right and some people's feet/legs that I removed. The light source is awful I know, just wondering if it still looks obviously edited

It looks okay. Have you tried taking off some of the hot spots with clone tool to see what you end up with? I love how the light is picking up the gills it's just the top facing surfaces that are ruined.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Anyone in these parts use a dropbox-style "folder syncing" software with Lightroom?

I'm in the process of setting up a home cloud storage type deal, and one thing that would be cool to do is sync my Lightroom catalogs across multiple computers so I can process photos on any computer I own, and those edits will show up all my other computers.

I'm just not sure whether Lightroom will appreciate me doing this.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

xzzy posted:

Anyone in these parts use a dropbox-style "folder syncing" software with Lightroom?

I'm in the process of setting up a home cloud storage type deal, and one thing that would be cool to do is sync my Lightroom catalogs across multiple computers so I can process photos on any computer I own, and those edits will show up all my other computers.

I'm just not sure whether Lightroom will appreciate me doing this.

Should be OK as long as you make sure not to have Lightroom open on more than one computer at a time.

tsc
Jun 18, 2004
hostis humani generis
Same bird, I have no idea what I am doing, he;lp.

I guess I'm asking which way looks better, should I be cropping differently, what can I do to make it be better-looking period, etc. I wet print b&w, this is completely new to me.

dont hate the playa
May 12, 2009
Does anyone find the auto tone button in Lightroom 4 accurate or useful? Compared to what I consider a nicely exposed and balanced shot, Lightroom usually makes it look really blown out and overexposed.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
All autocorrect buttons on anything are someone else's idea of what your photo should look like, which is probably bad.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I have 2 monitors hooked up to my PC. A small 17" LG screen using generic drivers and a 23" Dell SP2309 using its "correct" drivers.

If I look at images in a browser on either monitor they look "right". If I look at images in Lightroom on the small LG monitor it looks "right". If I look at images in Lightroom on the larger monitor images end up looking more yellow and brighter.

LG monitor: browsers/Lightroom/photoshop

Dell monitor: Lightroom/photoshop

Can anyone help me with this? I'm sure it's related to colour profiles but damned if I know how the hell to fix it.

dont hate the playa
May 12, 2009
I was just messing with calibrating monitors yesterday and there is an option in windows 7 to calibrate them by adding or subtracting the levels of red blue or green. It basically gives you five shades of gray and you adjust them to make them look as neutral as possible. It helped me take out some of the yellow in my older monitor.

It was located under an "advanced" tab in the monitor properties.

dont hate the playa fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Dec 30, 2012

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I have a photoshop question that I've been unable to find an answer to.

A lot of my shots are processed like what you see in the picture below, where I've masked separate areas of the picture, grouped them via mask, and applied different processing to each masked area.

Now say I want to remove the branch that is covering part of my bird. Currently the only way I know to do this is to flatten all my layers and then start cloning, but is there a way to do this so that I don't need to flatten the image first (other than doing the cloning step first to get rid of the branch)?

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
Are you not using adjustment layers?

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

TheLastManStanding posted:

I'm not sure what those are so I guess not. In each mask group I have other layers in which I perform adjustments like sharpening, etc.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

InternetJunky posted:

Now say I want to remove the branch that is covering part of my bird. Currently the only way I know to do this is to flatten all my layers and then start cloning, but is there a way to do this so that I don't need to flatten the image first (other than doing the cloning step first to get rid of the branch)?

Create a new empty layer at the top of the stack. Set source mode of clone/heal/whatever to "current layer and below."

The catch you may run into is that because you've already sharpened, you're committed to working with that sharpened data. If you've made any color, contrast, or tone changes using dialog boxes rather than adjustment layers, you're also committed to those. If you decide down the road you don't like any of those things then you'll have to do the entire clone job again.

Ideally, you want your cloning at the bottom of the stack (just above the background), your adjustments on top, and then any kind of sharpening or other final touches at the top either layered or done on a merged layer. Sometimes it doesn't always work out that way (like, say, if you just now decided you don't like that branch), but it makes life easier when it works.

Looks like CS5 or CS6, in which case you don't get any choice in the matter unless you go excessively out of your way. Won't help with all the stuff he sharpened, but everything else is highly likely to be adjustment layers.

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jan 1, 2013

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
Rather than making permanent alterations to layers and then masking, you can make adjustment layers (the little black/white circle at the bottom of the layers palate) which are non destructive, can be changed at any point, and can each have individual masks: That way your image is only taking up one layer.

For this image, since you are already have everything set up like you do, you can select all (ctrl-a), then copy merged (crtl-shift-c), then paste: This makes a new layer that is basically a flattened version of your image, but without actually flattening it. That way you can clone however you want without losing your previous masks or layers. Also, if you hadn't found out already, you can merge selected layers (ctrl-e) rather than flatten: This can be useful if you want to merge your cloned edits back in at some point without losing other layers.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Rather than making permanent alterations to layers and then masking, you can make adjustment layers (the little black/white circle at the bottom of the layers palate) which are non destructive, can be changed at any point, and can each have individual masks: That way your image is only taking up one layer.
Most of my changes are done this way, but there are some layer actions that don't seem to work this way -- for example, sharpen. For that I have to copy the source image to a new layer and perform the action on it, unless someone knows a better way?

quote:

For this image, since you are already have everything set up like you do, you can select all (ctrl-a), then copy merged (crtl-shift-c), then paste: This makes a new layer that is basically a flattened version of your image, but without actually flattening it. That way you can clone however you want without losing your previous masks or layers. Also, if you hadn't found out already, you can merge selected layers (ctrl-e) rather than flatten: This can be useful if you want to merge your cloned edits back in at some point without losing other layers.
Thanks, this is what I was after.

Tamgerine
Jul 11, 2006

Fatty Fat Failure!
How is your muffin top, fatty?
Hope those cheetos were worth it.
So I'm having some considerable trouble with some photos I took today. I just got a t3i converted to infrared in which I have to manually set the white balance in camera for each lighting situation. However, when I view the photos in Bridge/preview it's completely jacked up. In my files the color is correct, in Bridge it's completely wrong, and when I view in preview or iPhoto they're way overexposed.

If I import it into camera raw in photoshop the white balance is "as shot" but I can't adjust the sliders to any resemblance of what it should be. It just gives me that at one end of the spectrum and crazy over-saturated at the other.

Any other raw photo with my MK II? Fine. This is the first time I have ever encountered this before. What in the hell is going on and how do I fix it?

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
The problem with bridge/preview is probably that the white balance is outside the limits of their converter (which wouldn't surprise me for preview, but seems odd for bridge). When I process my IR photos in lightroom the color temp slider is about two or three clicks from the left and it's extremely finicky; a click in either direction is pretty much full red or full blue. I generally have to type numbers in to get it where I really want it. But even then it doesn't matter two much since I end up using gradient maps to give the images false color, but the tiny color separation that I do get out of using a good color balance leads to a cleaner final image.

Are you not using a visible light filter?

Tamgerine
Jul 11, 2006

Fatty Fat Failure!
How is your muffin top, fatty?
Hope those cheetos were worth it.
I'm using the Super Color IR filter from Life Pixel: http://www.lifepixel.com/infrared-filters-choices

If the WB is outside the limits, is there another software I could be using? Even just to make it a jpeg at this point so I don't have to trash the photos?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
So I'm trying to do a photo-illustration using some images of money (bills), and Photoshop actually recognized this and locked me out of that file haha. That's a first for me.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Yea, PS has had that feature for a few versions.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

GIMP doesn't implement currency detection, if you really need to edit the image.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Eh it's not that big of a deal. Just made me laugh, is all.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
That's due to the EURion constellation, right?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EURion_constellation

Pretty cool I thought.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Squibbles posted:

That's due to the EURion constellation, right?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EURion_constellation

Black magic supplied as a black box to Adobe by a shadowy world banking consortium.

Izam
Jun 6, 2005

InternetJunky posted:

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Most of my changes are done this way, but there are some layer actions that don't seem to work this way -- for example, sharpen. For that I have to copy the source image to a new layer and perform the action on it, unless someone knows a better way?
If you want to some flexibility with filters you can always turn a layer or group of layers into a smart object. Any filter you can run on a smart object becomes a smart filter with its own flip down menu to show how they're stacked. They will also have a mask in case you want to pull back on the effects on various areas.

You may also want to use stamping (copying all visible content into a new layer) in your workflow. Its basically the same process quoted except as one keyboard command: Ctrl+Alt+Shift+E (Mac users naturally use Option instead of Ctrl)

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Molten Llama posted:

Black magic supplied as a black box to Adobe by a shadowy world banking consortium.

Wow, that is actually quite fascinating.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Squibbles posted:

Wow, that is actually quite fascinating.

I had a quick skim but I seem to be able to open currency images in my photoshop? How come?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

I had a quick skim but I seem to be able to open currency images in my photoshop? How come?

Yeah I'm not sure what exactly triggered it. Here was my process:

1) I found a couple currency images on google. They were of the new Canadian bills, and pretty clearly taken by someone & their home camera
2) I opened them in Photoshop, desaturated them, used them as background images in a couple illustration roughs
3) One of my roughs got locked out. The other didn't.

Not sure what triggered it in the one and not the other.

skram
Dec 15, 2005
I'm trying to achieve this look.

It's kind of a hazy/muted color effect I've seen in a lot of pictures, almost looks like a painting.
I havent had much luck replicating the effect.

Anybody have an idea of how to get this look?

skram fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jan 7, 2013

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001
It looks like a combination of low contrast and split toning.

In Lightroom, switch your tone curve to points, then drag the black point up say 1/5 of the way. This means that pixels that were black in the original are now 80% grey.

Then add an orange/yellow tone to the highlights, and maybe a little green to the shadows.

Instrumedley
Aug 13, 2009
Solid color fill layers set to exclusion will also do the trick.

Here's a quick example and the steps I took:

1. Duplicate background layer, set its blending mode to screen, and decrease its fill opacity to 75%

2. Use color balance tool to increase warmth

3. Use curves tool to create contrast

4. Create solid fill layer, set layer blending mode to exclusion, and choose a dark blue color

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you

Instrumedley posted:

Solid color fill layers set to exclusion will also do the trick.

Here's a quick example and the steps I took:

1. Duplicate background layer, set its blending mode to screen, and decrease its fill opacity to 75%

2. Use color balance tool to increase warmth

3. Use curves tool to create contrast

4. Create solid fill layer, set layer blending mode to exclusion, and choose a dark blue color

Instead of a solid color layer I find its better to use a flare shot on black set to screen mode and colorized. That way there is a gradient and light source, making it look more natural. You can shoot flare elements at home using a light source and a black card/floppy to get something like this. I like a basic gradient flare without the circles but sometimes they add to the image. Don't be afraid to stretch and warp the living poo poo out of it to position it just watch out for banding.

(I didn't shoot this)

raggedphoto fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jan 9, 2013

• Locked thread