Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Fair enough. Truth is that I'm extremely interested in seeing how the console fares in Europe, seeing as I've heard little to none marketing here.
How they expect to sell when people don't know what the item is, beats me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Nintendo Europe doesn't have a very good reputation, right? Compared to Nintendo America or Japan.

Brinty
Aug 4, 2012

Iacen posted:

Fair enough. Truth is that I'm extremely interested in seeing how the console fares in Europe, seeing as I've heard little to none marketing here.
How they expect to sell when people don't know what the item is, beats me.

From the sound of the number of units shipped for launch it seems Nintendo essentially sent all their units to the US and Japan, to avoid any problems with places being sold out.

I take it they planned to sell a smaller number of units in Europe for a while while concentrating on the other 2 regions and then ratchet up the European marketing at some point in the next few months.

Fits quite well with the rumours of there being some sort of manufacturing trouble somewhere along the line.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

greatn posted:

Nintendo Europe doesn't have a very good reputation, right? Compared to Nintendo America or Japan.

NOA has the worst reputation I think, don't exactly have a powerful urge to port great games to the US, even when they've been translated and ported to Europe.

They seem to be doing a lot better now though.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
NOE listened to fans and gave us Xenoblade and The Last Story, so they're okay in my book.

Ztrapper
Jan 8, 2011

Louisgod posted:

NOE listened to fans and gave us Xenoblade and The Last Story, so they're okay in my book.

So true.

I am in a unique position, as i'm living in Israel, where we don't got an official Nintendo importer, and the few stores that do import it asks unreasonable prices for the hardware and games. So it always was self-importing for me, and up until now, I kept importing my Nintendo consoles from America, thinking it's the "better" choice.

No more though! the last two years proved Nintendo Europe is doing a really good job now. the 3DS E-shop is much better in Europe (I got an American 3DS and always get upset when i see how much earlier the European store gets new releases), and the Europeans got the whole Xenoblade-Last Story-Pandora's Tower games early (Hey, PT isn't out on the US at all!). Not to mention importing games from Europe is usually cheaper for me.

So, when it was time to get a Wii U i went European this time. For now it seems like the most logical choice, and I just hope i won't regret it later.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Wow.. So they have U's in stock at a bunch of retailers here locally, even though the impression that I got was that they would be hard to find until March or so. I only skimmed the thread, but it sounds like there are a lot of issues with the system. I'm not a Nintendo fanboy by a longshot, the last system that I owned myself was the SNES. I bought Wiis for my mom and dad, and borrowed one when there was a game that I wanted to play, or just used my roommates when they had one. I was going to get a U, but I was too little too late on getting a pre-order, so I decided to wait until they were available, rather than pay some inflated price on eBay. What do you goons recommend for someone in my position? I'm really only interested in first party titles, as I'll probably end up getting a PS4 and a Xbox 720. Should I stay away for now, and wait until they get some of this crap ironed out?

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

Well aside from internet issues, which I'm willing to bet on my modem rather than the Wii U, I've had no problems with the console and have enjoyed it immensely.

Nintendoland is a fun distraction, some of the multiplayer games are great fun, same for the singleplayer, they're not all hits but that's my opinion.

NSMBU is god drat excellent, it's actually challenging and it looks fantastic, some of the levels are just downright beautiful. And the actual gameplay feels even more refined, which is impressive. So far it's an easy contender for my favourite 2D Mario platformer.

I also played the demo of Rayman Legends and that was brilliant, it looks loving amazing and the controls are tight and the animations are awesome, somehow better than Origins, looking forward to actually owning it.

I want to say ZombiU is another great game but I haven't played it yet, saving it for tomorrow. But either way, those 2 platformers are easily worth it in my opinion, Nintendoland would also be worth it if you were to play it with family/friends, a little less on your own but some of the games are great time sinks.

I'm looking at you, Crash Course.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

So far compared to the games I gave a shot to, I would say ZombiU is the best release title for the Wii U. I've been more compelled to dump loads more time into it than any other game, and I'm someone who doesn't exactly like Zombies. I feel the entire Zombie thing is played out, however the Survival Horror aspects of ZombiU are enough for me to keep on playing it.

I know I'm very much a minority opinion, but ZombiU is even better than NSMBU in terms of enjoyment I have gotten out of it. My only problem is that I wish they would have actually implemented the multiplayer aspect of the whole "control zombies with gamepad" into online play. That and the incredibly repetitive zombies.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I'll also chime in and say that I've had absolutely no problem with the console itself. However, it's absolutely not worth it right now if you're only interested in Nintendo's games. I can't speak for Nintendoland, but while NSMBU is good and by far the best of the NSMB series, it's not worth buying a console over. NSMBU, ZombiU, The Wonderful 101, Pikmin 3, maybe some other exclusives coming down the line? Maybe, but if you weren't 100% sold before launch, don't buy into it yet.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

marauderthirty posted:

Wow.. So they have U's in stock at a bunch of retailers here locally, even though the impression that I got was that they would be hard to find until March or so. I only skimmed the thread, but it sounds like there are a lot of issues with the system. I'm not a Nintendo fanboy by a longshot, the last system that I owned myself was the SNES. I bought Wiis for my mom and dad, and borrowed one when there was a game that I wanted to play, or just used my roommates when they had one. I was going to get a U, but I was too little too late on getting a pre-order, so I decided to wait until they were available, rather than pay some inflated price on eBay. What do you goons recommend for someone in my position? I'm really only interested in first party titles, as I'll probably end up getting a PS4 and a Xbox 720. Should I stay away for now, and wait until they get some of this crap ironed out?

I like my WiiU but there's nothing wrong with waiting a bit. Patience is a virtue that's rewarded when it comes to buying video games.

The technical problems at the moment aren't that bad. Obviously they exist, but we're not talking about an Xbox 360 scale fiasco here. More on the scale of the out of the box problems you see at every console launch. I wouldn't let that be a deciding factor in the purchase.

I guess it comes down to if you want to wait about two years. That's roughly when Nintendo will be looking at the first price drop on the system. If you think you'll want it sooner then pick up a WiiU when you have the money. Or wait, since it'll only get better for you if you hold off.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

If you had an SNES you had Super Mario World and if you really loved SMW you owe it to yourself to get NSMBU because it's as close to it as any 2D mario has come in the past what 20 years? And yeah I love ZombiU, it's the game that makes zombies scary again instead of fodder. The situations it puts you into will have you really tense and I luuuurve me some survival horror genre type stuff. Also if you dig Platinum they've got Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2 comin' out on it somewhere down the line and Pikmin and Monster Hunter by March as well. Pretty good haul for games you probably wont be able to get analogues for on the other consoles/pc.

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

For you, it was the last time you would ever post in YCS. But for me...it was Tuesday.
Nintendo customer service is the best. I took back my broken Deluxe today to Best Buy and they only had the basic ones in stock, so I figured what the hell and took the basic since this is my best window to actually play with it in the foreseeable future. I called Nintendo when I got home and told them my situation, and they immediately said they would send me the cradle, stand, etc that I missed out on by downgrading. As soon as I hung up the phone my e-mail had a shipping confirmation number too. Took about 1 minute total and it was just pleasant in general.

Let's hope this one doesn't brick...

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

Commissar Ken posted:

If you had an SNES you had Super Mario World and if you really loved SMW you owe it to yourself to get NSMBU because it's as close to it as any 2D mario has come in the past what 20 years?

I shouldn't be doing this right now, I'm putting in an offer on a house on Monday and I need to be frugal, but god DAMMIT this line does it for me. Super Mario World is my favorite game of all time. I think I'll leave it up to fate, if they have a black console to match my entertainment setup, I'm doing it. gently caress it, I have a change jar with about $600 in it if I really need it. My fiancé is a zombie nut, so she would probably like ZombiU also.

Also I lied, I have owned a Nintendo system since the SNES, I just completely forgot that I had a 3DS (two actually, one for the missus.) That's pretty much what I'm trying to avoid, having a piece of hardware that I never use. And I'm still bitter that SMW (or any SNES titles for that matter) isn't available on the eShop, I have to dig up my hacked PSP anytime I want to play it, which is actually fairly often.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

My system was powered down while Zombi U was downloading, but it was able to successfully download and install later with no issues. I'm really liking this game so far, although I died when a sneaky zombie ambushed me while I was trying to silently take out one outside Buckingham. Too much reliance on the radar killed me.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Artix74 posted:

I'll also chime in and say that I've had absolutely no problem with the console itself. However, it's absolutely not worth it right now if you're only interested in Nintendo's games. I can't speak for Nintendoland, but while NSMBU is good and by far the best of the NSMB series, it's not worth buying a console over. NSMBU, ZombiU, The Wonderful 101, Pikmin 3, maybe some other exclusives coming down the line? Maybe, but if you weren't 100% sold before launch, don't buy into it yet.

About Nintendo Land, it's a party game with friends of course, but the single-player (and co-op) attractions also feel a bit like old-school arcade games in a way where you have to be skilled (through talent and/or training) to really reap the rewards. It's kind of sad how Nintendo botched up their E3 presentation for the game, because for a game that primarily stars Miis, it can be quite hardcore and difficult.

marauderthirty posted:

I shouldn't be doing this right now, I'm putting in an offer on a house on Monday and I need to be frugal, but god DAMMIT this line does it for me. Super Mario World is my favorite game of all time. I think I'll leave it up to fate, if they have a black console to match my entertainment setup, I'm doing it. gently caress it, I have a change jar with about $600 in it if I really need it. My fiancé is a zombie nut, so she would probably like ZombiU also.

Also I lied, I have owned a Nintendo system since the SNES, I just completely forgot that I had a 3DS (two actually, one for the missus.) That's pretty much what I'm trying to avoid, having a piece of hardware that I never use. And I'm still bitter that SMW (or any SNES titles for that matter) isn't available on the eShop, I have to dig up my hacked PSP anytime I want to play it, which is actually fairly often.

Yeah, NSMBU is the closest a modern Mario game has come to Super Mario World, and it is also the best of the NSMB games (so if you only want to play one NSMB, go for the U). However, I'd say NSMBU shines in its content relative to the other NSMB games: Boost Rush is pretty cool and harder than it looks thanks to the forced scrolling, the Challenges are actually challenging (I tend to die or fail if I try a challenge for the first time, and I can't think of a challenge where I aced it on the first time either), and Coin Battle allows you to edit the placements of coins in the levels if you want to (so you can make things harder than normal or easier than normal).

I also believe that Nintendo is doing DLC for NSMBU, so we will likely get extra content along the way as well. I'm personally hoping for more Challenges as I loved those.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Random Stranger posted:

I guess it comes down to if you want to wait about two years. That's roughly when Nintendo will be looking at the first price drop on the system.
Not if the 3DS is any indication, which it well might be.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

marauderthirty posted:

And I'm still bitter that SMW (or any SNES titles for that matter) isn't available on the eShop, I have to dig up my hacked PSP anytime I want to play it, which is actually fairly often.
Well SMW is on the Wii's Virtual Console so that'll be an option as a last resort for now, or I guess the (also Wii) Super Mario compilation that came out a while ago, assuming I'm not just hallucinating that one's existence.

Folt The Bolt posted:

About Nintendo Land, it's a party game with friends of course, but the single-player (and co-op) attractions also feel a bit like old-school arcade games in a way where you have to be skilled (through talent and/or training) to really reap the rewards. It's kind of sad how Nintendo botched up their E3 presentation for the game, because for a game that primarily stars Miis, it can be quite hardcore and difficult.
That's why I like the single player stuff so much, well DK and Balloon Trip at least, Yoshi's up there too albeit not as arcadey feeling (feels more like a nice handheld puzzle release). Haven't tried Takamaru and F-Zero as much but found them fun enough, the gyro controls getting out of whack make them kind of hard to keep up in though.

quote:

Yeah, NSMBU is the closest a modern Mario game has come to Super Mario World, and it is also the best of the NSMB games (so if you only want to play one NSMB, go for the U). However, I'd say NSMBU shines in its content relative to the other NSMB games: Boost Rush is pretty cool and harder than it looks thanks to the forced scrolling, the Challenges are actually challenging (I tend to die or fail if I try a challenge for the first time, and I can't think of a challenge where I aced it on the first time either), and Coin Battle allows you to edit the placements of coins in the levels if you want to (so you can make things harder than normal or easier than normal).

I also believe that Nintendo is doing DLC for NSMBU, so we will likely get extra content along the way as well. I'm personally hoping for more Challenges as I loved those.
Yeah the Challenge mode is a big time sink for me. I think I played one of the speed runs for about an hour last night just trying to get a decent time. I like how it makes normal levels that might've been pretty simple in the regular game into a bitch cause a little objective.

...but like everything else with Nintendo it could really use leaderboards.

Not sure if this was posted in this thread yet, Nintendo put up a YouTube channel for NSMBU (spoilers and hints/tips ahead):
http://www.youtube.com/user/NewMarioUEN
If you don't want spoilers outside of the first level there's a crazy 1-1 super play.

japtor fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Dec 30, 2012

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

japtor posted:

Well SMW is on the Wii's Virtual Console so that'll be an option as a last resort for now, or I guess the (also Wii) Super Mario compilation that came out a while ago, assuming I'm not just hallucinating that one's existence.
That's the version of All Stars sans World, i.e. just Bros. 1-3 and Lost Levels.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Joramun posted:

Not if the 3DS is any indication, which it well might be.

The 3DS was a real aberration in historical console pricing. It's possible that Nintendo will repeat that but it's so unlikely that's it not worth talking about.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

After spending about thirty minutes on the phone with Nintendo Customer Support, I'm signed up for a repair/replacement of my WiiU. My system has a 50% likelihood of freezing while doing absolutely anything (nearly 100% from a cold boot), and I already did all the neat little tricks like setting the language to English-Only on all the software apps and so on.

This'll be only the second time I've ever had to send in a Nintendo product (my first time was in 2007, where my launch Wii had the corrupted GPU issue). If it weren't for the freezes, I was having a really good time with my WiiU. Ah, well. Gonna try again in a couple weeks, I suppose.

Danger Man
Jun 29, 2004

Someone is Liable to Get Hurt
Guess I shouldn't have bought the classic controller. Guy in the store told me I could play NSMBU with it, but I wasn't even able to plug it in without a wiimote. Guess I will have to get one of those too.

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Lack of electricity... is my destiny...
NSMBU isn't compatible with the Classic or Pro, anyway. Not entirely sure why not, given the Game Pad already has the necessary control schemes.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Mr. Onslaught posted:

Nintendo customer service is the best. I took back my broken Deluxe today to Best Buy and they only had the basic ones in stock, so I figured what the hell and took the basic since this is my best window to actually play with it in the foreseeable future. I called Nintendo when I got home and told them my situation, and they immediately said they would send me the cradle, stand, etc that I missed out on by downgrading. As soon as I hung up the phone my e-mail had a shipping confirmation number too. Took about 1 minute total and it was just pleasant in general.

Let's hope this one doesn't brick...

That's awesome, sucks you had a bad first impression but I think you will like the console a lot now that the unpleasantness is out of the way.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

The 3DS was a real aberration in historical console pricing. It's possible that Nintendo will repeat that but it's so unlikely that's it not worth talking about.
I don't think it's unlikely at all, considering the Wii U is currently just as overpriced as the 3DS was at launch, and a major UK retailer (who set their own prices, so you can be sure Nintendo is keeping a sharp eye on them to gauche if they should follow suit officially) is already dumping its stock of the Deluxe for ~$70 off the usual price.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Joramun posted:

I don't think it's unlikely at all, considering the Wii U is currently just as overpriced as the 3DS was at launch, and a major UK retailer (who set their own prices, so you can be sure Nintendo is keeping a sharp eye on them to gauche if they should follow suit officially) is already dumping its stock of the Deluxe for ~$70 off the usual price.

I still can't figure out why the gently caress people feel the Wii U is overpriced.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Mennonites Revenge posted:

NSMBU isn't compatible with the Classic or Pro, anyway. Not entirely sure why not, given the Game Pad already has the necessary control schemes.

NSMBU has segments that use motion controls towards the end so that's why.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I still can't figure out why the gently caress people feel the Wii U is overpriced.

Same here. It's a brand new HD-capable console. The 360 was 400+ when it came out and the PS3 was six-hundred before going down to five. People can expect similar wallet-killing prices out of Microsoft and Sony's next offerings if they intend to do half of what modern gaming computers do.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Bobnumerotres posted:

Same here. It's a brand new HD-capable console. The 360 was 400+ when it came out and the PS3 was six-hundred before going down to five. People can expect similar wallet-killing prices out of Microsoft and Sony's next offerings if they intend to do half of what modern gaming computers do.

Exactly. I was happy that the Wii-U Basic was only $300. Any more and it just wasn't a reasonable Christmas gift.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

After spending about thirty minutes on the phone with Nintendo Customer Support, I'm signed up for a repair/replacement of my WiiU. My system has a 50% likelihood of freezing while doing absolutely anything (nearly 100% from a cold boot), and I already did all the neat little tricks like setting the language to English-Only on all the software apps and so on.

This'll be only the second time I've ever had to send in a Nintendo product (my first time was in 2007, where my launch Wii had the corrupted GPU issue). If it weren't for the freezes, I was having a really good time with my WiiU. Ah, well. Gonna try again in a couple weeks, I suppose.

Nintendo always has amazing customer support. Anyone remember that 800 number you could call for help if you were stuck on a game back in the 90s? I called that number SO much and the people there obviously loved what they did, the only call center I can say where that's true. Plus, they really do ship things out lightning quick.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Lobster posted:

Nintendo always has amazing customer support. Anyone remember that 800 number you could call for help if you were stuck on a game back in the 90s? I called that number SO much and the people there obviously loved what they did, the only call center I can say where that's true. Plus, they really do ship things out lightning quick.

That was a 1-900 number and you probably cost your parents many :10bux:. :laugh:

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Danger Man posted:

Guess I shouldn't have bought the classic controller. Guy in the store told me I could play NSMBU with it, but I wasn't even able to plug it in without a wiimote. Guess I will have to get one of those too.
Wait, what? Why would you buy a classic controller if you didn't already have a Wiimote?

Random Stranger posted:

The 3DS also got its price cut because it wasn't selling well at $250. The Wii U is not repeating the Wii's success, but it's had a good launch so far.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

Detective No. 27 posted:

That was a 1-900 number and you probably cost your parents many :10bux:. :laugh:

Yeah wasn't it something like $2 or $3 a minute?

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Wait, we can't use the pro controller for NSMBU? Why the poo poo didn't the clerk tell me that? It's a good thing I have my mom's Wii on loan at the moment, otherwise I would be pretty upset.. Guess I'm gonna have to go find a used Wiimote.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

marauderthirty posted:

Wait, we can't use the pro controller for NSMBU? Why the poo poo didn't the clerk tell me that? It's a good thing I have my mom's Wii on loan at the moment, otherwise I would be pretty upset.. Guess I'm gonna have to go find a used Wiimote.

So you don't make the same mistake in the future, the back of every game case has illustrations that show the supported controllers.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

marauderthirty posted:

You can use the Wii U Gamepad though. It maps the spin jump to one of the shoulder buttons, and it can be used for the few motion sensory stuff that you're going to stumble upon.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

DarkHamsterlord posted:

So you don't make the same mistake in the future, the back of every game case has illustrations that show the supported controllers.

It's a good start, but it's not foolproof. Sonic Racing Transformed doesn't have a picture of the Pro controller, but you can use it.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Listings on the eShop have probably the most thorough breakdown of controller compatibility.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I'm about to transfer from my Wii to Wii U and was wondering, do I have to redownload all my VC and Wiiware titles to my Wii for it to transfer everything or will it transfer the licenses without redownloading?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

I'm about to transfer from my Wii to Wii U and was wondering, do I have to redownload all my VC and Wiiware titles to my Wii for it to transfer everything or will it transfer the licenses without redownloading?

It transfers the licenses so you can download them on the Wii channel on the U. Did it earlier and spent ages trying to redownload my stuff before giving up, and then finding out I didn't even need to.

• Locked thread