Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hojusimpson
Mar 30, 2011

Pharmaskittle posted:

Is there any chance of this going on Steam sale? I'm having trouble keeping from impulse-buying it before the sale is over, but I also know that it's super new and might not get discounted at all.

Is it worth fitty drat dollars? I loved the first one up until Trigens (and even then, I kinda liked the batshit crazy twist of "hey monsters, hipfiring your whole magazine is now a viable tactic"), and liked the second until it became clear how repetitious things were going to get.

I'm not an FPS fan (this is my first true one in years) yet still have 50 hours in this game, despite only recently hitting the second island. In addition to the gameplay itself, you can just mess around and cause -- or be witness to -- extraordinary levels of chaos. This is my favourite part, actually, as you never really know what's going to happen when a tiger, some cassowaries and/or some poorly-driving islanders are on the loose.

If you already enjoyed the previous releases in the series, it's probably a safe bet you'll like this. Just make sure you install the mods.

hojusimpson fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Dec 29, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Just finished the game and I captured every outpost. I never do things like this in sandbox games normally but it was just loads of fun doing it differently every time

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I easily got my money's worth out of the base game, and this was before modding was even a possibility.

Now we have some pretty sweet mods I'm going to be putting a lot more time into this.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Pharmaskittle posted:

Is there any chance of this going on Steam sale? I'm having trouble keeping from impulse-buying it before the sale is over, but I also know that it's super new and might not get discounted at all.

http://www.direct2play.com/lofdeal.php

Got mine here. Had no problems installing and playing. The only thing you miss out on is downloading from Steam.

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro
Just finished it this morning. Man, I really wish Sam was in more of the game. Hanging out with Sam is awesome and he's the only character that I liked. Well, Vaas is alright, but all the bad trips would probably get kind of old after a while.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
This game seriously owns. Just started the Buck missions, those are fun.
This whole game is fun!

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
As much as I love the game I can't help but feel like the co-op mode is a detriment to FC3 as a beautiful, smooth package. Enemies take multiple times more bullets than they normally do, there are swarms of them no matter if you have 4 players or 2, and it's a bugfest of all hell. It took me like 3 hours to beat 2 campaigns maily because of lags and glitches.

But the single player is nothing like that. (And I'm not sure how multiplayer is) but I really hope Ubi fixes co-op soon

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

Morter posted:

As much as I love the game I can't help but feel like the co-op mode is a detriment to FC3 as a beautiful, smooth package. Enemies take multiple times more bullets than they normally do, there are swarms of them no matter if you have 4 players or 2, and it's a bugfest of all hell. It took me like 3 hours to beat 2 campaigns maily because of lags and glitches.

But the single player is nothing like that. (And I'm not sure how multiplayer is) but I really hope Ubi fixes co-op soon

Yeah, I played through all the co-op missions yesterday and has all the same complaints. The matchmaking is poorly done as well, at least on the 360 version. Eventually I met up with a good group and we were able to plow through 4 of them pretty quickly, but the whole thing was just too much "push a button, now stay in this area and fight 5 waves of enemies" repeat ad nauseam.

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Wow this thread is starting to move fast just in one day's absence.

I'll upload the new compilation later today if I can. I held off a little because I was hoping there would be some good new mods to add but nobody made anything yesterday.
Since some people seem to be able to use the ULC content without issue I'll leave an optional version with it enabled but the main version will have it removed.
As for the "see the whole map after one tower unlock" it turns out it's a DLL edit. It's also apparently not working right at the moment so it's not going to be included.

Anyways I got contacted by the dude that runs the Nexus sites (yeah I know, now we're going to end up with animal-loving mods and whatnot). The site hasn't officially launched yet but you can preview it here while people start uploading files before it goes live: http://farcry.nexusmods.com/

No promises on when I'll update the compilation as my life is now becoming very busy.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I just got to the Buck missions, man what a hoot!

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Is there a mod or some other way to fix the driving controls on PC? I'm OK with using WASD to drive even though I use a different control layout otherwise, but half of the driving controls don't work at all with my current control settings; W does nothing and S is my use key so it just makes me jump out of the drat car. My remapped controls for forward and backward don't do anything when I'm in a car. A and D for steering seem to work (the wheel turns, at least), but that doesn't do much good if I can't move. I keep finding abandoned vehicles and all I can do with 'em is listen to the radio. :(

lethial
Apr 29, 2009

dennyk posted:

Is there a mod or some other way to fix the driving controls on PC? I'm OK with using WASD to drive even though I use a different control layout otherwise, but half of the driving controls don't work at all with my current control settings; W does nothing and S is my use key so it just makes me jump out of the drat car. My remapped controls for forward and backward don't do anything when I'm in a car. A and D for steering seem to work (the wheel turns, at least), but that doesn't do much good if I can't move. I keep finding abandoned vehicles and all I can do with 'em is listen to the radio. :(

Did you bind the vehicle control keys in the keybinding section? On the left column there are clickable "tabs": "layout on foot", "layout in vehicle", layout in MP.

It sounded like you didn't change the keybindings in the "layout in vehicle" section. (I had the same problem for the longest time :ohdear:)

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.
Finally picked up this game, and I'm going to be playing it for the first time a bit later tonight.

I was curious about mods: all the reviews I was reading love the game, but are saying that the beginning when the game is more about survival is more fun than later in the game when you're a walking one-man arsenal and everything is easy to blow up.

Any recommendations on a mod or two that makes the gun progression drawn-out a bit? Like, if I had a mod that unlocked guns but didn't give them away for free when you take a radio tower, and increased the price of all the weapons by quite a bit, that would suffice I think.

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Mental Midget posted:

Finally picked up this game, and I'm going to be playing it for the first time a bit later tonight.

I was curious about mods: all the reviews I was reading love the game, but are saying that the beginning when the game is more about survival is more fun than later in the game when you're a walking one-man arsenal and everything is easy to blow up.

Any recommendations on a mod or two that makes the gun progression drawn-out a bit? Like, if I had a mod that unlocked guns but didn't give them away for free when you take a radio tower, and increased the price of all the weapons by quite a bit, that would suffice I think.

There is a mod that does what you're asking, but I don't think it was ever updated to the latest patch. Anyways, it can be found here: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/734046-Mods-for-Far-Cry-3?p=8791085&viewfull=1#post8791085

Personally though if I were you I'd play the game first before deciding on playing any mods, and for a first playthrough I would try and avoid all compilations and maybe at most go for the attachments mod.

Although mods/modding is fun I'd hardly call any mod or compilation with perhaps the exception of Gibbed's attachments mod as "essential" for a first playthrough. It's pretty good out of the box.

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.

Swartz posted:

There is a mod that does what you're asking, but I don't think it was ever updated to the latest patch. Anyways, it can be found here: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/734046-Mods-for-Far-Cry-3?p=8791085&viewfull=1#post8791085

Personally though if I were you I'd play the game first before deciding on playing any mods, and for a first playthrough I would try and avoid all compilations and maybe at most go for the attachments mod.

Although mods/modding is fun I'd hardly call any mod or compilation with perhaps the exception of Gibbed's attachments mod as "essential" for a first playthrough. It's pretty good out of the box.

Cool, thanks for the tips. I did find this one linked in a PC Gamer article, but I'm wondering if it would be too harsh for my first go-round. Also there doesn't seem to be any installation instructions in the readme for it. I'm guessing I just replace the files in the data_win32 folder in the main game files. (after backing up the originals of course)

Danyull
Jan 16, 2011

So before I bought this game I torrented it to see how it ran on my computer. I was getting around 45 FPS on High settings. I bought it for myself for Christmas, and now even on Medium settings it runs like poo poo. Is there an explanation for this or should I just uninstall my legit copy and go back to the torrented one?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS

I believe it's against the rules to talk about pirating software/games on these forums so you'll probably want to fix your post.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
Does anyone know if the Steam version of FC3 automatically updates with the most recent patches, or do I actually have to download those separately?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Welp, finally beat the game. Still don't know how to properly land with the wingsuit. :v:

Don't know if it was a bug I could never activate the parachute on my own. Sometimes it would activate, sometimes I would smash into the road, and sometimes I got lucky to smash into the water where there is no damage.

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa

nickhimself posted:

Does anyone know if the Steam version of FC3 automatically updates with the most recent patches, or do I actually have to download those separately?

It's automatically updated. And just like everything else now on Steam it makes using mods a bit of a hassle since you can't run things that have had an update pushed out for them without it forcing you to run the update. I don't know why they did this, previously you could choose to ignore the update. So if mods remotely interest you make sure you go to the game's properties and choose not to automatically update (just so you can fix up the files to vanilla before running the update process - otherwise you might end up downloading a lot more fresh files than you need to).

Unless there's some way of loading games without Steam wanting to download updates that I don't know about..

Zaphod42 posted:

SSAO stuff.

I'm really surprised they haven't fixed it in a patch yet. Maybe they have, and I just haven't tested it. Or maybe video card drivers have fixed it now.

I started to play the game in SSAO mode and I wondered why the opening looked absolutely nuts as far as shadows and colours go. It actually kind of added to the atmosphere but also made the game look horrible at night. So no, they still haven't fixed it. HBAO was autodetected, though, even though that looks horrible too.

Running in HDAO on nVidia seems fine for me, I don't know how much performance I'm meant to lose but it doesn't seem noticeable, maybe a few frames?

Harmonica fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Dec 30, 2012

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Welp I am terrible at the multiplayer in this game. Not too surprising since I get lost really easily. Co-op missions are pretty great though.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Mental Midget posted:

if I had a mod that unlocked guns but didn't give them away for free when you take a radio tower, and increased the price of all the weapons by quite a bit, that would suffice I think.

Swartz posted:

There is a mod that does what you're asking, but I don't think it was ever updated to the latest patch.

How could you not post your own mod? Surely it does just what he's asking, plus more!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Harmonica posted:

It's automatically updated. And just like everything else now on Steam it makes using mods a bit of a hassle since you can't run things that have had an update pushed out for them without it forcing you to run the update. I don't know why they did this, previously you could choose to ignore the update. So if mods remotely interest you make sure you go to the game's properties and choose not to automatically update (just so you can fix up the files to vanilla before running the update process - otherwise you might end up downloading a lot more fresh files than you need to).

Unless there's some way of loading games without Steam wanting to download updates that I don't know about..

Lol, there totally is. I already have automatic updates turned off for Farcry3, for steam just disable updates for any games you mod. Its totally painless.

Right click on the game -> properties -> Updates tab -> Change the dropdown to "Do not automatically update this game"

I have that set for several games, such as STALKER. You can always flip it back if you want to update later.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

:3:

Danyull posted:

So before I bought this game I torrented it to see how it ran on my computer. I was getting around 45 FPS on High settings. I bought it for myself for Christmas, and now even on Medium settings it runs like poo poo. Is there an explanation for this or should I just uninstall my legit copy and go back to the torrented one?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

What? Why? I think 45 fps is fine I don't know why you'd need any more than that. People obsessing over fps faster than their eyes can register seems like just pointless wankery to me that wouldn't make any bit of a difference unless you're like a super competitive counterstrike nut or something.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Hatbox Ghost posted:

What? Why? I think 45 fps is fine I don't know why you'd need any more than that. People obsessing over fps faster than their eyes can register seems like just pointless wankery to me that wouldn't make any bit of a difference unless you're like a super competitive counterstrike nut or something.

He was saying that it ran at 45 FPS once and now it runs worse than that on medium.

Smashlampjaw
Aug 16, 2008
So I'm just wondering If there Is a console thread for this just to see if people are playing co-op, or multi-player?

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Ak Gara posted:

How could you not post your own mod? Surely it does just what he's asking, plus more!

I didn't suggest my own mod because like I said I don't believe people should be playing any big compilations on their first run-through. My intention is for my mod compilation to be considered a New Game+ of sorts.

*Edit* Regarding it's update status: I'm too busy today so I'll try hard to release it tomorrow.

Swartz fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Dec 30, 2012

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

Lol, there totally is. I already have automatic updates turned off for Farcry3, for steam just disable updates for any games you mod. Its totally painless.

Right click on the game -> properties -> Updates tab -> Change the dropdown to "Do not automatically update this game"

I have that set for several games, such as STALKER. You can always flip it back if you want to update later.

Right but if an update exists for the game, it won't let you run the game until you actually update. For example I had Borderlands 2 set to not update since I used some CheatEngine tables that got broken every time there was a patch. Every time there was a patch BL2 would be listed as "Update Available" and any attempt to run the game would update it first. I think the only real way to stay behind a revision (useful for modded games) is to basically enable that setting and put steam in offline mode. It is completely backwards logic and a long running complaint about Steam with modded games.

They may have fixed this in a recent client update but that was the behavior as of a month or two ago.

beanbrew
Jan 3, 2011

the way is not in the sky

the way is in the heart
:siren:Far Cry 3 25% off on steam!:siren:

That makes it $37.49.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Just got this game for 360 and I'm loving it. I loved the original Far Cry and couldn't stand Far Cry 2. I bought this game after reading all the accolades for it. I love the open worldness of it, the exploration aspects. I don't like the pretty bad story but I'm not really playing it for the story. After beating it the first time I want to go back and do a bow only, no capture the outposts run. Has anyone done that and is it even possible?

EDIT: Having never played any of the Crysis games, given my love of this game, will I like Crysis?

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

SalTheBard posted:

Just got this game for 360 and I'm loving it. I loved the original Far Cry and couldn't stand Far Cry 2. I bought this game after reading all the accolades for it. I love the open worldness of it, the exploration aspects. I don't like the pretty bad story but I'm not really playing it for the story. After beating it the first time I want to go back and do a bow only, no capture the outposts run. Has anyone done that and is it even possible?

EDIT: Having never played any of the Crysis games, given my love of this game, will I like Crysis?

Given your love for this game? No idea, it is literally nothing like crysis and has 0 connection to it. Given your love for Far Cry 1? Probably.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I never played past the first Crysis, but it really does have a lot in common with the first Far Cry. Also they were made by the same company, so.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Mid-game question!

How come when Vaas stabs Jason, I end up in some hallucination, and then wake up back at Citra's like nothing ever happened? Did he stab me with some drug-laced knife? Is this talked about later, or am I just this invincible warrior?

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

BoyBlunder posted:

Mid-game question!

How come when Vaas stabs Jason, I end up in some hallucination, and then wake up back at Citra's like nothing ever happened? Did he stab me with some drug-laced knife? Is this talked about later, or am I just this invincible warrior?

The whole game happens at the doctors house where he tries different drugs on you.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

The story is really poorly told and you should just consider it dressing for letting you run around and murder everything.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

I know I've said it before, but this game is bloody gorgeous. I'd love it if the engine (Dunia 2) was used on more games.

The thing about the DMR sniper rifle

Is that it's explosive rounds can penetrate multiple targets.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Gonkish posted:

The story is really poorly told and you should just consider it dressing for letting you run around and murder everything.

Yeah, I'm not very far in (just met Citra) but the storytelling is kind of garbage. I still really enjoy the story missions though because they're great scripted sequences, and I like all of the characters to varying degrees except for the PC himself (although that seems intentional).

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Does C4 make a sound when it drops? I'm sure I've had it alert enemies, which makes it pretty pointless for laying traps when being sneaky.

baNteXKaa
Jun 2, 2006

Why so serious?
I actually liked this game, but many of my friends didn't.

Some stuff were kinda repetive, but so is the AC-series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

baNteXKaa posted:

Some stuff were kinda repetive, but so is the AC-series.

I've just started the 2nd island part after you kill Vaas and jump out of a plane to go after Hoyt and I feel like I'm starting back at square 1 all over again.

• Locked thread