Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Niwrad posted:

Great news, Attack from Mars is a favorite of mine. Never heard of Genie and won't be buying it. How do they decide what machines to make? Can't wait for Dr. Dude to get released.

I think you're going to buy Genie.

But at least you'll get Attack From Mars for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

The Kins posted:

Xbox 360: Finalizing contract with new publisher, which as been complicated due to the previous publisher going bankrupt. The game's "re-launch" will be submitted to Microsoft in January. Twilight Zone and Star Trek will be available at re-launch, and all previous DLC purchases will still work. Aiming to have 40 tables released on 360 by the end of 2013.

40? Holy poo poo.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

FishBulb posted:

I think you're going to buy Genie.

But at least you'll get Attack From Mars for free.

Ahhhh...I'm an idiot. Well at least I'll have another game on my iPad.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

MichiganCubbie posted:

40? Holy poo poo.
I poorly re-worded that, I meant 40 tables available on the 360. Which is pretty achievable - 20 tables have been released on iOS in this first year - as long as there's no problems with Microsoft. But since this is Farsight, you can probably wish in one hand and poo poo in the other.

The Kins fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Dec 29, 2012

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

I used to love playing pinball arcade but then I went and bought a new TV. Now I apparently have catastrophic lag when playing this game. It's only minute, but enough to let me know that the flippers are not flipping when I want them to.

I may have to try and get it on a different platform now.

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

When I shit I like to scream "WORSHIP THE GOD EMPEROR ON HIS GOLDEN THRONE." Mom hates it.

There's usually a pre-set 'game' mode with minimal latency. Look deep in the menus.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
40 tables on 360? Thats loving insane, we have, what, 8 just now.

Mind you, if trash like Genie is coming out then I'm far less excited, I was playing that last night on Gottlieb pinball classics and it's a straight up boring table.

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

I dunno, I like Genie for the same reason I like Gorgar, it's a fairly open table with simple goals. It makes for a few good warmup games at least.

Now if more tables like Central Park or Jive Time are what's in the pipeline, then I'd be worried. Those are only good for maybe one or two playthroughs just because of their weird gimmicky designs.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Out of curiosity, what's the consensus on Revenge From Mars, the Pinball 2000 sequel? It has a fun theme, obviously, but the modes all feel really samey to me. And the bank of targets you need to hit for those modes is perfectly laid out to send poo poo straight son the middle.

Edit: holy poo poo I just looked at my local pinball place and the guy got a Cirque Voltaire! :swoon: everyone come to Southern Illinois.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Dec 29, 2012

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
Revenge From Mars was really only designed to be a showcase for the platform. Gomez has said that he intentionally made it a bit simpler for that reason.

For what it is, it's pretty good. I just am disappointed Lawlor's Wizard Blocks never saw the light of day.

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!
Just wanted to say pinballz in austin is amazing they have just about all the big name SS tables and ems i knew from tpa like gorgar. Took me too long to find whitewater or I would've blown more tokens on it instead of embarrassing myself on totan and tom. As an aside tpa really spoils you on how easy it is to hit the fireball loop on totan compared to the live table.

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

XenoCrab is the least important character in the Alien movie franchise. He's not even in the top ten characters.
I'm glad to hear from the latest PA newsletter that the Wii U version is "in Nintendo's hands," but I think it's loving ridiculous that I'll be playing PA on a console that I didn't intend to buy until a month ago before I play it on my PC. I can't believe how badly they've handled the PC version and that they haven't realized that if they want to get the PC version Greenlit then releasing it (or even just a one table demo) anywhere else would get them a ton more votes.

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

Pan Ache posted:

Just wanted to say pinballz in austin is amazing they have just about all the big name SS tables and ems i knew from tpa like gorgar. Took me too long to find whitewater or I would've blown more tokens on it instead of embarrassing myself on totan and tom. As an aside tpa really spoils you on how easy it is to hit the fireball loop on totan compared to the live table.

Yeah Pinballz is one of my favorite places to hang out at on a day off. Actually managed to get the #2 score on Theatre of Magic last time there.

warptail
Jul 14, 2004

LOAD “*”,8,1

Boxman posted:

Out of curiosity, what's the consensus on Revenge From Mars, the Pinball 2000 sequel? It has a fun theme, obviously, but the modes all feel really samey to me. And the bank of targets you need to hit for those modes is perfectly laid out to send poo poo straight son the middle.

Edit: holy poo poo I just looked at my local pinball place and the guy got a Cirque Voltaire! :swoon: everyone come to Southern Illinois.

It's fairly simple and would be repetitive, but the screen is a gimmick that works well.. plus it's a pretty funny game. That makes it good for newbies, as long as they understand to aim for the video dudes and not try to actually hunt for the ramps back there in the dark.

Still haven't completed all of the modes yet, but think it's genuinely fun and it's one of my current favorites. Haven't really had a problem with it kicking my balls (lawl) SDTM though.

FWIW, there's two in Seattle that I know of.. one in Shorty's and one in the Seattle Pinball Museum. The one in the museum is right under an overhead light though, which washes out the video some. :/ They also have a Star Wars Episode 1 machine right next to it (with the same video gubbins), but I haven't spent time with it yet.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

Tsietisin posted:

I used to love playing pinball arcade but then I went and bought a new TV. Now I apparently have catastrophic lag when playing this game. It's only minute, but enough to let me know that the flippers are not flipping when I want them to.

I may have to try and get it on a different platform now.

Definitely turn off any post-processing options. That will lag like mad.

I was having a similar issue on the PS3 version, but after some experimentation I decided to limit the res to 720p (was set at 1080i, but the TV I use would just downres it). Once I did that the PS3 version became a lot more playable. I might end up buying some of the newer tables there until the 360 catches up.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

purkey posted:

Yeah Pinballz is one of my favorite places to hang out at on a day off. Actually managed to get the #2 score on Theatre of Magic last time there.

Just out of curiosity, does it ever seem like all of their tables lean in one direction? I want to like the place but every time I'm there it just seems like they're off somehow. Does anyone know if the re-level them on a regular basis? Or has PA just upped my expectations for working tables (save for maybe flipper strength)?

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Farsight uploaded a video of the Wii U version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USR5zzi2XOg

The DMD on the controller screen is a neat idea, despite it being stretched vertically.

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

ReverendHammer posted:

Just out of curiosity, does it ever seem like all of their tables lean in one direction? I want to like the place but every time I'm there it just seems like they're off somehow. Does anyone know if the re-level them on a regular basis? Or has PA just upped my expectations for working tables (save for maybe flipper strength)?

I haven't really noticed that, but I don't get to play much live pinball so I'm not the best person to ask. My main complaint is that the flippers on Twilight Zone seem pretty weak, but I don't know if the machine is meant to be like that since I hadn't played it since I was a kid.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I just looked up Pinballz and I wish I lived in Texas. That place looks absolutely incredible. It looks like the machines are kept up nicely.

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
I've been to Pinballz, and it was awesome. All the games are better than mint, tricked out with bright LED lights and other stuff. Circus Voltaire was pretty much a fireworks display.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
Godamnit all these new TPA tables are just frustrating me: T2 and Addams Family now please!!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

ROFLBOT posted:

Addams Family now please!!
I wouldn't hold your breath.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Imma just go on record right now and say that I think Pat Lawlor is grossly overrated.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

Sizone posted:

Imma just go on record right now and say that I think Pat Lawlor is grossly overrated.

You and me both. Many of Lawlor's tables are too busy and have a lot of stop'n'go play that I'm not too big on. I like tables that flow and you can make lots of ramp and loop shots. Lawlor likes to have a lot of eject holes and things to grab the ball. Also he has a lot of shots that can only be made from an upper play field flipper. The super jackpot on Ripley's and I think the player piano on TZ are almost only accessible from the upper play field flippers.

Another problem was that many designers were beginning to emulate Lawlor's playfield complexity after TAF and TZ. Just look at Cirqus Voltaire and TOTAN. Crazy rule sets and tons of complicated shots though John Popadiuk does know how to create a flowing table with lots of loops to keep the ball in action.

Not to say he's a bad designer but I agree that a lot of pinball nerds just absolutely go hog wild over his designs when there are plenty of great, overlooked designers like John Trudeau and George Gomez.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

The Kins posted:

I wouldn't hold your breath.

If they can get something like Star Trek what's so much more complicated about Addam's Family?

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

FishBulb posted:

If they can get something like Star Trek what's so much more complicated about Addam's Family?

Raul Julia's estate have forbidden any further use of his likeness, in accordance with his final wishes as stated in his will. They'd have to scrub the photo of him off the backglass, which the other license holders won't allow. It simply isn't going to happen, guys. FarSight have stated this numerous times. Stop asking.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Beelzebozo posted:

Raul Julia's estate have forbidden any further use of his likeness, in accordance with his final wishes as stated in his will. They'd have to scrub the photo of him off the backglass, which the other license holders won't allow. It simply isn't going to happen, guys. FarSight have stated this numerous times. Stop asking.

Ah I see, that makes sense even if its a little dissapointing.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
Speaking of Gomez and Popadiuk, Stern's new Avengers table would be great if it weren't such a blatant ripoff of TOTAN.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Beelzebozo posted:

What?! Burn the Julia estate to the ground :argh:

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Beelzebozo posted:

Raul Julia's estate have forbidden any further use of his likeness, in accordance with his final wishes as stated in his will.

Was he really that embaressed about this M. Bison portrayl?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Ramagamma posted:

He probably just doesn't want to be dancing with a vacuum 30 years after he died.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Ramagamma posted:

All those Bison Dollars. :negative:

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

Jay Dub posted:

Speaking of Gomez and Popadiuk, Stern's new Avengers table would be great if it weren't such a blatant ripoff of TOTAN.

Stern seems to have a habit of aping designs. Look at X-Men and TRON Legacy side-by-side and they're pretty much mirrored. The eject hole and jet bumper cluster are in the same locations albeit opposite sides of the play field. There's a specific ramp/loop shot with the third flipper. magneto and the recognizer from TRON are in the same spot.

Someone mentioned to me that the TRON play field is similar to Funhouse. Looking at the two play fields side-by-side shows a LOT of similarity. Just replace some ramps with loops. They even share the same eject hole/bumper cluster location with a shot through the cluster as well as the 5 lane outlanes.

I've always considered John Borg a poor man's Lawlor seeing as he had a lot of the same trademarks as Lawlor but designed for Data East instead of Bally/Williams. Though his TRON design is a little too similar to Funhouse...

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Der-Wreck posted:

You and me both. Many of Lawlor's tables are too busy and have a lot of stop'n'go play that I'm not too big on. I like tables that flow and you can make lots of ramp and loop shots. Lawlor likes to have a lot of eject holes and things to grab the ball. Also he has a lot of shots that can only be made from an upper play field flipper. The super jackpot on Ripley's and I think the player piano on TZ are almost only accessible from the upper play field flippers.

Another problem was that many designers were beginning to emulate Lawlor's playfield complexity after TAF and TZ. Just look at Cirqus Voltaire and TOTAN. Crazy rule sets and tons of complicated shots though John Popadiuk does know how to create a flowing table with lots of loops to keep the ball in action.

Not to say he's a bad designer but I agree that a lot of pinball nerds just absolutely go hog wild over his designs when there are plenty of great, overlooked designers like John Trudeau and George Gomez.

I get what you're saying. I do think he gets a bit overrated and others are not given the credit they deserve. But I'm also a huge TZ fan and enjoy stop'n'go games. The complicated shots take a long time to get good at, but once you do, there aren't more rewarding tables than his.

It always comes down to what you want out of a game. I think Lawlor's tables are crappy if you're a casual player, but great if you're someone who is going to hammer away at a machine for a long time. I think that's why they are so popular now among homeowners.

By the way, does anyone have some feedback on Avengers? Was tempted to go up to the burbs and play it the other day but interested to hear what others have to say about it first.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Niwrad posted:

By the way, does anyone have some feedback on Avengers? Was tempted to go up to the burbs and play it the other day but interested to hear what others have to say about it first.

Like I mentioned above, the playfield is pretty much X-Men meets Arabian Nights. You have to collect your Avengers by hitting each Avenger's target four times; Hulk is by far the easiest one to collect, as is the Hulk multiball (though more often than not your ball will get stuck under one of Hulk's fists. I haven't played it much, but aside from ripping off TOTAN, it's a fun table. I'd say it's a better table than X-Men. Go check it out.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
From the final day of Farsight's "12 days of TPA" facebook thing:
  • Centaur was voted as the first fan-choice table in their Facebook poll. It'll be out in "May or June". More table voting will happen this year.
  • iOS and Android versions will be having a sale on Pro Versions of tables this month.
  • The free table of the month in the next pack will be Medieval Madness Pro Version.
  • While they still want to use Steam instead of anything else, folks who paid $500+ during one of the Kickstarters will be getting a special PC version containing the original four release tables and the two Kickstarter tables, and everyone who asked for a PC version when choosing their platform will be getting a PC version of their chosen table soon.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
So who am I supposed to contact to get my Kickstarter table? I tried contacting them a few times through the Kickstarter page itself but apparently no one checks that.

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

Yodzilla posted:

So who am I supposed to contact to get my Kickstarter table? I tried contacting them a few times through the Kickstarter page itself but apparently no one checks that.

Have you tried - support@pinballarcade.com

I had a question about my password and they responded, took 4 days, but they did respond

Alternatively you could get an account on pinballarcadefans.com and message this guy:
http://pinballarcadefans.com/member.php/1498-Rob-Mann - he's the "User Community manager"

If your interested in who's who at Farsight, what the office looks like, here's an posting on it, how they get any work done is beyond me
http://pinballarcadefans.com/showthread.php/2992-An-Afternoon-At-FarSight-Studios

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Jay Dub posted:

Like I mentioned above, the playfield is pretty much X-Men meets Arabian Nights. You have to collect your Avengers by hitting each Avenger's target four times; Hulk is by far the easiest one to collect, as is the Hulk multiball (though more often than not your ball will get stuck under one of Hulk's fists. I haven't played it much, but aside from ripping off TOTAN, it's a fun table. I'd say it's a better table than X-Men. Go check it out.

Sweet. All the videos I've seen of it make it look stunning. Love the lighting on it. Someone on Pinside posted this which gives a nice view of gameplay as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yraVwcA2z-I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Beelzebozo posted:

I wonder about that. I swore that I read that it was using his likeness in new properties. It's sneaky, but the pinball machine isn't a new property.