Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

wwweh posted:

Hello and let's play a test post of Metal Slug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3ePF-xTYDM

Everyone older that 15 know what Metal Slug is so I'll save you a copy paste from wikipedia. Critiques on sound and content on this are super appreciated. Am I too irish for americans? Am I too unconfident a speaker that you don't know what I'm babbling about. Did I mess up the audio too much?

Your commentary audio is pretty poor in quality, you sound really hollow and there's a lot of clicking/hard-hissing when you speak which makes it hard to understand what you're saying. I assume it's your mic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
Hey, one thing I'm curious about. Is Hypercam generally regarded as the best free recording software there is, or are there better alternatives?

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Fionordequester posted:

Hey, one thing I'm curious about. Is Hypercam generally regarded as the best free recording software there is, or are there better alternatives?
To put the kibosh on some joking comments about Unregistered Hypercam, no :v: A basic workflow (on PC) is using FRAPS, editing in AviSYNTH/Premiere/etc, then encoding in something like MeGUI. There are some things in the Tech Support thread's opening posts that'll explain the gist of it.

Edit: Oh, free. Well, I guess that nixes FRAPS.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
I see. I did ask about it twice in the Tech Support thread, but nobody really got back to me on that, so, I figured they might've overlooked it or something. Anyways though, is Hypercam the best you can do without spending money?

wwweh
Apr 3, 2012

judge reinhold posted:

Your commentary audio is pretty poor in quality, you sound really hollow and there's a lot of clicking/hard-hissing when you speak which makes it hard to understand what you're saying. I assume it's your mic?

Yeah, it is. I cleaned it up in audacity but it kinda artifacted the audio and while it was better than it was it still ended up bad. I guess too bad. I've adjusted my mic settings for noise cancellation and volume boosting and I think that helped. I'll try re-recording it tomorrow and encode the video better next time too while I'm at it.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
Yeah the commentary sounded promising, but the audio was just unworkably bad

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Fionordequester posted:

I see. I did ask about it twice in the Tech Support thread, but nobody really got back to me on that, so, I figured they might've overlooked it or something. Anyways though, is Hypercam the best you can do without spending money?

The thing about free software is that you can try all of it and find what works best for you. Recording software in particular can be temperamental, so you're better off just experimenting and finding what works best for your workflow and gives good results instead of worrying about what's "the best."

I usually use virtualdub, for example, but I think there's something wrong with me.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

Cybershell posted:

Fun fact, the account is named "poo poo Particles" after a line from the greatest Mario fanfiction ever written. This is technically the first VLP I ever made, and I'd love to remake it starring someone with a much less irritating voice. If you happen to be Research Indicates or have a silky smooth voice send me a PM with yourself reading a sample of this and maybe we can collaborate on a SMW LP which reads the whole fanfiction, because believe me this poo poo goes on waaaaay longer than you'd hope.

Paging pins to the sandcastle.

Tendales posted:

The thing about free software is that you can try all of it and find what works best for you. Recording software in particular can be temperamental, so you're better off just experimenting and finding what works best for your workflow and gives good results instead of worrying about what's "the best."

I usually use virtualdub, for example, but I think there's something wrong with me.

Virtualdub's screencapture isn't half bad but it's a little annoying to set up since you have to tell it the coordinates you want.

There's Camstudio, but I've never gotten camstudio to work right. Either the video file it gives me is corrupted or it stops responding and when I kill the process my monitor starts going crazy flickering all sorts of colors.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
I used OBS a couple of weeks ago, which worked okay after setup, but it produces an already-compressed file (about one hour was 160MB, I think?).

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
I've been messing around with OBS's local only recordings and I can't figure out why it has audio desync when if i stream AND save a local recording it doesn't. Doesn't make any sense to me.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Haven't tried streaming; and since the recording was for a race, I didn't actually record audio, so I can't speak for that.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!
Thanks for the feedback on Keroro RPG. I've posted the thread, and I'll try to keep up the quality.

wwweh
Apr 3, 2012
Rerecorded and slightly better audio this time. Would still welcome critique though. Not as happy with the content of the commentary this time on it though, but would like to know if the audio is "bearable." Regardless I think I'll just have to bite the bullet and get a fancier mic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c07PZ1YvRsw

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Fionordequester posted:

MSI Afterburner's recording feature. It's free and from testing I've done looks to be really really good. It's mentioned in the Tech Support Fort OP if you want a link.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
^^^^^^^^
edit: The one negative I've seen from MSI Afterburner is that the recording function is only part of the beta version and that's not always available, or sometimes the functionality will have some set date that it will decide that a trial is up. Otherwise, it does fit the bill for an adequate free recording program.

wwweh posted:

Rerecorded and slightly better audio this time. Would still welcome critique though. Not as happy with the content of the commentary this time on it though, but would like to know if the audio is "bearable." Regardless I think I'll just have to bite the bullet and get a fancier mic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c07PZ1YvRsw
Just out of curiosity but what all are you doing to 'clean up' the audio in Audacity? Noise removal or are you doing something more to it? Would you maybe be able to upload to Tindeck what it sounds like without you doing anything to it in Audacity? Cause it does still sound tinny, but that might be due to you doing something in Audacity and not just your mic.

Onto the actual video, is there any reason that the video is only in a 240 resolution? Not sure which version you are playing but I assume all of them should be in an emulator that can get above that resolution and maybe look a little better on youtube. Secondly for your commentary you took almost four minutes into the level to start talking about the game. What does the H pick-up do? Who are these bearded guys with magic tricks? Why not tell us about the game play and plot (as thin as it is) before explaining who made it?

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Dec 31, 2012

Snugglecakes
Dec 29, 2008

:h: :glomp: :h:

Betrayal at Krondor Test Post http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=9754 (includes updates 1 and 2)

Thanks for the advice so far. I reworked the initial update that I had, and also posted in the second update with the game's first combat. I'll be happy to hear any comments out there about either the images or gameplay before I start an actual thread on the forum.

wwweh
Apr 3, 2012

Niggurath posted:

Just out of curiosity but what all are you doing to 'clean up' the audio in Audacity? Noise removal or are you doing something more to it? Would you maybe be able to upload to Tindeck what it sounds like without you doing anything to it in Audacity? Cause it does still sound tinny, but that might be due to you doing something in Audacity and not just your mic.

Onto the actual video, is there any reason that the video is only in a 240 resolution? Not sure which version you are playing but I assume all of them should be in an emulator that can get above that resolution and maybe look a little better on youtube. Secondly for your commentary you took almost four minutes into the level to start talking about the game. What does the H pick-up do? Who are these bearded guys with magic tricks? Why not tell us about the game play and plot (as thin as it is) before explaining who made it?

I was doing amplifying it and noise cleanup, now I'm just doing that in the mic control panel and amplifying it when editing. With the raw capture, without a boost it's very quiet and with it the hiss is very loud.

Here's the source audio for the second vid: http://tindeck.com/review?id=vzau

As for the video stuff, it's 240 cause I record it at native resolution (320x224) and upload that. I guess I should upload at a higher resolution and filter to get better quality?
I guess I took the game stuff as a given. Maybe I should have started with the basic game stuff first. I go on about development cause that's what interests me and what I think is the more interesting part of it, cause after all it's a pretty simple 2d run n' gun. But that can be done afterwards and fill in the quiet parts later on...

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Niggurath posted:

^^^^^^^^
edit: The one negative I've seen from MSI Afterburner is that the recording function is only part of the beta version and that's not always available, or sometimes the functionality will have some set date that it will decide that a trial is up. Otherwise, it does fit the bill for an adequate free recording program.

Huh, wasn't aware of that. I tend to go with the updates the program says are available when I start and so far the recording function has worked without a hitch. v:v:v

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

wwweh posted:

I was doing amplifying it and noise cleanup, now I'm just doing that in the mic control panel and amplifying it when editing. With the raw capture, without a boost it's very quiet and with it the hiss is very loud.

Here's the source audio for the second vid: http://tindeck.com/review?id=vzau

As for the video stuff, it's 240 cause I record it at native resolution (320x224) and upload that. I guess I should upload at a higher resolution and filter to get better quality?
I guess I took the game stuff as a given. Maybe I should have started with the basic game stuff first. I go on about development cause that's what interests me and what I think is the more interesting part of it, cause after all it's a pretty simple 2d run n' gun. But that can be done afterwards and fill in the quiet parts later on...
Listening to the unchanged audio, yea, that might be as good as you can get it with your mic. I mean, it's not awful or unbearable.

In regards to the video quality and resolution, do the other versions of Metal Slug 1 have any graphical improvements or is there any reason that you're going with what I assume to be the Neo Geo version? I was just taking a look of the video for an LP someone did of Metal Slug back in '09 and it does look marginally better to yours (http://www.labtanner.com/videos/video.php?videoid=60&quality=normal). Not totally sure why. And while it may be a simple run'n'gun, it still might be good to cover some basics to those that haven't played it, like myself.

Cooked Auto posted:

Huh, wasn't aware of that. I tend to go with the updates the program says are available when I start and so far the recording function has worked without a hitch. v:v:v
Maybe that stopped doing that then; I haven't used the program in maybe seven or eight months.

wwweh
Apr 3, 2012

Niggurath posted:

Listening to the unchanged audio, yea, that might be as good as you can get it with your mic. I mean, it's not awful or unbearable.

In regards to the video quality and resolution, do the other versions of Metal Slug 1 have any graphical improvements or is there any reason that you're going with what I assume to be the Neo Geo version? I was just taking a look of the video for an LP someone did of Metal Slug back in '09 and it does look marginally better to yours (http://www.labtanner.com/videos/video.php?videoid=60&quality=normal). Not totally sure why. And while it may be a simple run'n'gun, it still might be good to cover some basics to those that haven't played it, like myself.

I'll try uploading with a doubled resolution and see if that helps. I assume it's the youtube upload/transcodering hurting me. Viewing that video has certainly hurt my pride as it's just so much more clearly thought out and paced. I might try another game next time as I'm pretty tired talking about metal slug. Thanks for the help!

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

wwweh posted:

I'll try uploading with a doubled resolution and see if that helps. I assume it's the youtube upload/transcodering hurting me. Viewing that video has certainly hurt my pride as it's just so much more clearly thought out and paced. I might try another game next time as I'm pretty tired talking about metal slug. Thanks for the help!
:( it wasn't meant as discouraging; I think you should still go through with it and try, especially if you're going to do more of the series other than just the first one. But just keep in mind that there's no rush and that it's rarely perfect for the initial time effort of making an LP.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Zain posted:

Hey Kids! Drugs are fun! Let's Play the Galerian series

What the hell is this?
Galerians as a series is a bit weird. Originally classified as a survival horror, it's hard to really say yes this fits said genre. The Resident Evil style tank controls probably didn't help it's original classification. I guess you can classify it as a survival horror because there's a way to dick yourself over in the game. Considering the tech they use in this game you could probably go and say it's a cyber-punk style. The game was made by Polygon Magic. Haven't heard of them? Well no surprise cause Galerians and Galerians: Ash are really their only original game. They apparently do solical gaming and gambling games mostly.

The Story
Oh god this is quite the mess of a story, Galerians is very much a dystopian place. We fallow the main character Rion, in attempts to regain is lost memory. Waking up in a strange room with no memory and strange powers. And that's about where the plot stops making sense. Everything else spirals into a void of nonsense and psychic abilities and strange happenings. I'd say more, but I feel like it would ruin what great writing the developers had.

The Videos
Galerians Part 1

So any critiques and the likes of that?

Didn't see anyone reply to this yet, so here's my two cents. I think it looks pretty good. I'm pretty sure I finished this back in the day, but I remember jack poo poo about it. I found it closer to Parasite Eve than Resident Evil, but that's really here nor there. LP-wise, I'd say this is good to go. Old-school survival horror is slow paced, so I think the 20 minute video length is good. The game audio is a little low, but it's audible enough, and I doubt a game this old had subtitle options for cutscenes. I like how you're explaining mechanics as you go, but I honestly don't remember, so correct me if I'm wrong...doesn't this game give you most of your powers early on?

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

pignition posted:

Didn't see anyone reply to this yet, so here's my two cents. I think it looks pretty good. I'm pretty sure I finished this back in the day, but I remember jack poo poo about it. I found it closer to Parasite Eve than Resident Evil, but that's really here nor there. LP-wise, I'd say this is good to go. Old-school survival horror is slow paced, so I think the 20 minute video length is good. The game audio is a little low, but it's audible enough, and I doubt a game this old had subtitle options for cutscenes. I like how you're explaining mechanics as you go, but I honestly don't remember, so correct me if I'm wrong...doesn't this game give you most of your powers early on?

2/3rd of them Nalcon and Red. We have to go to disk 2 and do an annoying knocking puzzle in order to get that and it's not at all good.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Zain posted:

2/3rd of them Nalcon and Red. We have to go to disk 2 and do an annoying knocking puzzle in order to get that and it's not at all good.

Oh yeah, I remember that now! gently caress that puzzle. This game was mostly pretty linear and then had some weird gently caress off puzzles near the end.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Zain posted:

It's good against certain enemies, but Nalcon's your go-to for a good 60% of the enemies.

Going to second the game audio thing. Could stand to be a touch higher.

Also, I saw you used the word 'series': does this mean you're actually taking on Ash as well? Because, while I've seen a good few YT LPs of the first game, no one seems to have even heard of the sequel.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

It's good against certain enemies, but Nalcon's your go-to for a good 60% of the enemies.

Going to second the game audio thing. Could stand to be a touch higher.

Also, I saw you used the word 'series': does this mean you're actually taking on Ash as well? Because, while I've seen a good few YT LPs of the first game, no one seems to have even heard of the sequel.

Well I do own Ash, and yeah I'm going to try to get to that eventually. I haven't finished that one though because of first PS2 game problems (Dodge that does gently caress all, and weird controls)

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Zain posted:

What the hell is this?
Galerians as a series is a bit weird. Originally classified as a survival horror, it's hard to really say yes this fits said genre. The Resident Evil style tank controls probably didn't help it's its original classification. I guess you can classify it as a survival horror because there's a way to dick yourself over in the game. Considering the tech they use in this game you could probably go and say it's a cyber-punk style. The game was made by Polygon Magic. Haven't heard of them? Well no surprise cause Galerians and Galerians: Ash are really their only original game. They apparently do solical social gaming and gambling games mostly.

The Story
Oh god this is quite the mess of a story, Galerians is very much a dystopian place. We fallow follow the main character Rion, in attempts to regain his lost memory. Waking up in a strange room with no memory and strange powers. And that's about where the plot stops making sense. Everything else spirals into a void of nonsense and psychic abilities and strange happenings. I'd say more, but I feel like it would ruin what great writing the developers had.

The Videos
Galerians Part 1

So any critiques and the likes of that?

I don't have any critiques about the video itself, but I noticed a few typos in your OP. Might want to iron those out so spergs like me don't bother you about it.

Tsym
Dec 30, 2012
Hello! I've decided to try my hand at this LP thing.

I swear this game is totally doable! Let’s Play Touhou 10-13!

Touhou?
The Touhou project is probably one of the more (in)famous things to spawn out of Japan, which is fairly impressive given how much stuff Japan seems to inundate the rest of the world in. The project itself is primarily composed of fairly tough shoot ‘em up (shmup) games, with a general emphasis on bullet density. This places them squarely within the realm of bullet hell, meaning that often times the screen is near completely covered with bullets that will all one shot you. The games themselves aren’t exactly the toughest shmups out there, but they do have a reputation among those familiar with the games as being decently tough.

Aside from the core shmup games, there’s also a ton of other “official” stuff for the game, including as of this writing, three fighting games, two photography games, books, comics/mangas, and music CDs. This isn’t even including all of the “non-official” fan produced works, which at this point must have become essentially uncountable.

Oh, did I mention that the vast majority of stuff in the official series (including music, programming, art, lore, etc) are all done by one person?

One guy spawned all of this stuff?
Yup that’s right. The games are produced by Team Shanghai Alice, but its only member is ZUN. Frankly it’s nothing short of incredible.

Yeah, yeah, that’s nice and all, but why does anyone care about this thing?
This question has been asked by many a person, and there really is no satisfactory answer as to why this series has blown up as much as it did. As for the games themselves, I can tell you that they have a very unique aesthetic that really can’t be compared with any other game. Aside from that, the games themselves are extremely fun, engaging, and offer a rather cohesive package of lore, wit, humor, and cultural references if you care for that stuff, and extremely tough gameplay, wonderful music and stage design, and of course the ability to easily and cheaply practice stages and compare results. That last one may not sound like much, but most popular shmups were actually made for the arcade, and you can’t save replays there to show your skills to friends, nor the ability to compete with other people on a grander scale. So there’s that.

I’ll give a special nod to the music though. It’s catchy and thematic, and an absolutely huge number of people make remixes of the music because they like it. With a heavy emphasis on “huge”.

I’ll say! I just googled “Touhou fan works” and I’m completely overwhelmed and there’s so much stuff on Youtube and I’ve lost myself for days in TVTropes because the page is so big an-
The whole thing is very intimidating to take in all at once, so you should just relax and take things slowly. For all stuff related to Touhou, go ahead and check out the Touhou megathread in ADTRW or the useful/miscellaneous links at the bottom of this post. Or don’t. Whatever you like.

Alright… So then what’s the deal with this LP?
I will be starting from game 10, Mountain of Faith, and going through 11 (Subterranean Animism), 12 (Undefined Fantastic Object), and 13 (Ten Desires) as they make a sort of “thematic arc” in the series (well, not so much number 11, but it’s on the way and it’s pretty drat fun like all the games in the series so I’m doing it!). This will be a Hybrid LP, with videos of the stages and boss fights, and screenshot updates with the dialogue/plot/extras. I do rather like the setting and plot/fluff of the series, so while I’m not particularly well versed in Japanese culture, I’ll try to give explanations for the stuff that I do know.

Fluff? Boring! I want to see you get wrecked instead!
Well I’m not exactly the best at these games, but I’m good enough that I’ll be showing most stuff off at Lunatic (the hardest) difficulty, and I might go down in difficulty level to show some different stuff off or some card differences if people care enough about that. I think I’m good enough to show off a fair amount of stuff in the games, but while I have cleared all these games on Lunatic already, I won’t spend an inordinate amount of time or delay updates trying to do something crazy.

So then what will the update schedule be like?
Videos of the run itself will be posted on weekends (either Saturday or Sunday), and fluff updates like boss profiles and spell card names/references will be posted on Wednesdays. And any Extra stuff will come whenever. There might be a few busy weeks when I take breaks though.

So I found this neat fanart and music from those links! Can I post them?
Seeing as how the series does get a ton of energy from its fans, go ahead and post stuff you find about any game we’ve seen in the thread. However, a few caveats. First, follow the forum rules as always. Second, do note that this is not the Touhou megathread, so under no circumstances should this turn into a second megathread. Keep stuff relevant, and keep it classy. There certainly are rather… unsavory elements to the fandom (not only limited to the obvious sex related stuff), so please keep that stuff out of the thread.

Hm? Hey wait a sec. The question above mentioned the links again, then I scrolled down and they’re not here! You forgot the miscellaneous links!
Well I’m only human. I’m sure I’ll be making quite a few mistakes, so definitely feel free to call me out on those. Anyway, here you go:

---------

Links!
ZUN’s official blog
The English Touhou wiki. It’s where I get a lot of info and pictures.

Other Touhou LPs!
Zorak’s archived LP of Touhous 1 through 6
Rising Grandpa’s LP of Touhous 7 through 9 (Requires Archives)

---------

Updates!
The Dummy's Guide to Touhou and Shmups
Mountain of Faith Introduction
Mountain of Faith Stage 1
Mountain of Faith Stage 1 Boss Profile and Spell Cards
Mountain of Faith Stage 2
Mountain of Faith Stage 2 Boss Profile and Spell Cards

---------

I've seen how somewhat perfectionist the forums can get, so if I'm doing something blatantly bad, totally call me out on it. A few things that I'm a bit concerned about though, other than the usual (mic/game audio levels, video quality, etc):
1) Commentary in videos. I feel as though I'm a bit too dry. The pattern is essentially "this is how you do this. Oh hey look a new pattern." Repeat ad nauseum. Am I talking too much?
2) Formatting. More spaces between pictures and text I'm guessing? Or is there a better looking way of doing it?

And things that I am planning to fix but not now because I want to get feedback on videos and content primarily:
1) Standardization of the tiny dialogue image portraits. I couldn't tell that they weren't transparent after I cropped with IrfanView, so I'll go back, redo them, and make them all the same dimensions because that slipped my mind the first time.
2) There are some titles that I forgot to bold. I'll do that later.
3) Shizuha's and Minoriko's portraits are flipped.
4) I do realize that the portraits have some color issues going on. This is because the cut-ins used are darkened as they appear in the background. Should I switch to the actual color portrait versions? I guess I'll just add them in for explaining some stuff like Shizuha's two left feet.
5) Uploading the music to Tindeck or something. I don't think the Youtube versions will go down anytime soon but I'm not too sure.

Thanks in advance!

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

Tsym posted:

I swear this game is totally doable! Let’s Play Touhou 10-13!

You use a lot of jargon, and while you explain the biggest offender (streaming), you don't explain a lot of others. Try to make a little glossary of terms you'll be using that aren't immediately obvious, and don't worry about feeling like you're dumbing it down. You obviously don't have to explain what dodging means, and aimed shots are only a bit of jargon (they're specifically aimed at you), but stuff like 'static' isn't obvious at all. I know these terms because I play Toho, but not only should you expect an audience that doesn't know anything about Toho, you should expect an audience that knows about Toho fanstuff but nothing about the games.

I'm a bad person to ask about video quality, but it looks good to my eye. Your voice is fine and commentary-wise I'm really glad you're explaining how you work the cards/patterns as you go through them, as it's extremely helpful to people who haven't seen them before. Toho is 90% memorization but your audience is only seeing one take, so explaining a lot helps so long as it's constructed well, and I can say I understand you fine as someone who does play Toho at least.

I'm excited to see the games wrapped up by a Lunatic playthrough, especially with UFO and SA being notoriously hard. There won't be something easy for me to contribute like Last Words in RG's Imperishable Night playthrough, but I might try to throw in extra stuff for fun and get myself playing the games again.

If anything, I'd suggest making a stricter "no image dumps" rule, because even with a mention of that in the last thread people still found excuses to dump out their fifty pictures of their favorite characters and act really weird about them.

Rising-Grandpa
Aug 4, 2010

My god, what are you doing?!

Tsym posted:

Touhou

I like this a lot. The biggest thing I have to say is good luck. You're doing a lot of work for this, and it's obviously appreciated. Honestly this is much better than what I did, in my view. I wanted to do a lot more for my LP but I was basically limited by the fact that every update took me forever to make, so I gave up on some things I had initially planned to do. You'll probably have less of an issue because you're a lot better at the games than I am so the actual playing part won't be so much of a grind. But my advice is to take your time. I wouldn't necessarily bother keeping a strict update schedule. I found that setting hard deadlines for myself just made me burn out quicker.

But yeah, this is quite good. Video and audio quality are fine. I'm looking forward to the thread.

Also I second what sentrygun said. Image spam tends to quickly get out of hand if you don't try to curb it initially.

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag
Before I start this new LP test post, I am aware that I have made a Jumping Flash test post earlier without fixing the problems. There are two reasons for this: a) I am having a lot of problems playing with my copy of Jumping Flash on an emulator, and I don't want to fix it because b) I really don't feel like playing that game. Perhaps in the future, when I feel like buying a Dazzle, I'll get back to that game. In the other hand, this game I plan to do an LP on will never get boring to me, so y'all shouldn't be worried about me abandoning this LP no matter the circumstances. Maybe it'll take a while for me to get the thread to go live, but I'll make sure to make the thread if everything's OK as well as complete the LP. Now, without further ado...

------------------------------------

This Let's Play Shall Be Engraved Upon Your Souls! (A Valkyrie Profile Hybrid LP)

About the game

Valkyrie Profile (:Lenneth if you're playing the PSP port) is a turn-based Japanese RPG with an emphasis on platforming during the dungeon crawling parts of the game. This game, as well as the sequel Valkyrie Profile: Silmeria and spin-off Covenant of the Plume, were developed by tri-Ace who were also responsible for Star Ocean series as well as other games including Radiata Stories and Resonance of Fate. This game tells of Lenneth, one of the three goddesses of fate, and her duty to find human souls to serve Odin as warriors to fight in the war of Ragnarok. Other than the pretty good story this game offers, one of the best things about this game is that a lot of the characters you are able to recruit in this game have some pretty interesting backstory as well as each of them having quite a bit of personality that really make them quite interesting.

Format of LP

Since this game is heavy on the story, a good percentage of this LP will be screenshot oriented. However, the other parts of this game, the dungeon crawling, the spiritual concentrations. battles and a couple other things, will be presented in videos. I feel that those portions of the game, including the dungeons (in which are platformers) are best displayed in video format.

As we move on with this game, I will, from time to time, drop some basic facts about Norse Mythology. More importantly, I will compare the Norse Mythology we have in the real world to tri-Ace's definition of Norse Mythology. I, myself, am not exactly a Mythology expert, but I will still drop some basic facts and let you people discuss about it in more detail (that is, if you want!). Heck, by the time I finish this LP, I, myself, might learn quite a bit about Norse Mythology!

Characters

Lenneth

One of the three goddesses of fate, her job in this game is to watch people die, snatch their souls, and use them to serve in Odin's army to fight during the end of the world (or in other words, Ragnarok). In battle, not only she is required to be in every party formation, she is able to equip both short swords and bows. As far as short sword-users go, she holds well compared to the others. However, she is among one of two best bow users in this game. Throughout the playthroughs, Lenneth will alternate between swords and bows depending on the party composition.

---

Valkyrie Profile Test Post

Yeah, this test post is sorta lacking, but all I really want, in terms of feedback, for now is if this is the acceptable resolution/picture quality for this game. Pretty soon I'll update this test post to be a real first update.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Zain posted:

I know you're doing what you're doing, so I'm sorry this is kind of an rear end in a top hat post - but I just really wish this was a screenshot LP. That kind of game is so much better digested like that, with that story and the pre-rendered backgrounds.

well HECK Phil
Feb 25, 2010
Toilet Rascal

Thwack! posted:

Yeah, this test post is sorta lacking, but all I really want, in terms of feedback, for now is if this is the acceptable resolution/picture quality for this game. Pretty soon I'll update this test post to be a real first update.

You do need to show gameplay, though. We can gauge some portions of the opening cinematic, however, you need to show gameplay screen shots to see if they'll be viable for us to follow.

Furthermore, you should also provide a sample of how you're going to present dialog in game. I get you want to have it acceptable to view before you get in the game as these types tend to have a lot of opening dialog, but you should provide more, get it all situated right before going into a LP.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Okay, I got a quick question for those that say game audio is quiet. Is that overall? I did auto duck that audio and boosted the audio slightly for Cutscenes. I can boost it all in as a whole though.

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW

VagueRant posted:

I know you're doing what you're doing, so I'm sorry this is kind of an rear end in a top hat post - but I just really wish this was a screenshot LP. That kind of game is so much better digested like that, with that story and the pre-rendered backgrounds.

Thing is there was already a screenshot LP done of this game, I'm thinking by Dark Id but I can't remember. Myself, I would much rather a video LP than another screenshot one, as I usually get bored with the effort to read through them and stop bothering after a few updates (unless they're completed and in the archive).

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Zain posted:

Okay, I got a quick question for those that say game audio is quiet. Is that overall? I did auto duck that audio and boosted the audio slightly for Cutscenes. I can boost it all in as a whole though.

Yeah, I thought it seemed quiet overall. Cutscenes were slightly louder to me, but it wasn't that much of a difference.

TheWanderingNewbie
Oct 12, 2007

Gotta Get Dem Cheevos
Welp time to throw this to the dogs, please read the whole post before making a response, I made some notes at the end.

I’m a Warrior, he’s a Mage, we fight Demon: Let’s Play Demon’s Souls

What is Demon’s Souls
Demon’s Souls is a Third Party action RPG game developed by From Software that is known for being incredibly difficult. The game focus more on thinking you moves out and executing them rather than running headlong into fights. The game also has a unique Online system, where players can leave behind messages for other players as hints, since the game does very little to inform you itself. You can also see the bloodstains of players who die, showing you how exactly they perished. Other players can also join your world as either a Blue, helpful, or Black, antagonistic, Phantom. The combination of all these features results in a very unique experience.

Wait a minute Newbie there was already a PRETTY complete LP of this by Squint
Ya, I know. However I’m aiming to show off a number of the features that Squint passed over, mainly online. I will be joined in my Demon hunting journey by my good friend Taoto. He will be summoned as a Blue Phantom in every video and we will co-op our way through the game. On top of this, we will be playing through on NG++++, which involves buffing the enemies to being 76.4% stronger than they are in a normal play through. The last is, since this is a NG++++ play through I have EVERYTHING, and I will be letting the thread vote on how I go into each battle. Reference the second post for a list of unique weapons and their properties.

Okay what else is there to go over
Well other than trying to show off everything, I will also be making this a more or less 100% run. I will be showing where to find every Ring and Unique Weapon. We’ll also be trying to give strategies for different situations. I will throw around the terminology of “BLANK DASH BLANK” a lot, Demon’s Souls is split into 5 worlds each world in parts. When I say World 3-2 I am referring to World 3 Part 2.

Videos
Test Post Video – This is the Test Post, due to the nature of Demon’s Souls this was done on 1-2 on NG+++. Also yes I’m aware I said Dark Souls in the video, you’d be surprised how easy it is to say the wrong game titles when they’re so similar.

A couple things of note, I have already run this video past some people and got a bit of feedback on it already. There are a couple of things I know that I need to fix already such as:

1. We need to slow down a bit, not so much move through the level slower just actually stop and explain some important things as they come up. Example, we say nothing about the dog ambush which is one of the main points of 1-2. Also maybe have Taoto not spamming Firestorm everywhere.

2. We need to bounce off each other more commentary wise, there are times when one of us says something and the other doesn’t acknowledge it because there is something else they want to spit out but this goes along with the slowing down. BUT it is a thing we need to work on and is worth mentioning, we don't need to focus so much on being informative, there’s a whole LP on that.

3. Maybe joke a little. It’s not terrible.

4. Taoto at times seems out of place in conversations, like I’m explaining everything and he’s just along for the ride. Will be fixing this by having Taoto talk and explain Spells to counter mine talking and explaining Weapons.

Any other feedback will be welcomed, it’s my first time doing, well most of the things in this LP, HD video, live commentary, cooperation. I would really like to know how those points came across as well.

Taoto
Oct 22, 2010

Hehehe... Everything's going according to plan, right?

TheWanderingNewbie posted:

I will be joined in my Demon hunting journey by my good friend Taoto.

This is a dumb idea and you should get rid of this jerk. He clearly isn't worth anything.

Krakentime
Dec 31, 2012

I'm so cool.
The Legend of Dragoon

About This Game
This is a JRPG developed and published by Sony for the original PlayStation and released in Japan on December 2, 1999, North America on June 11, 2000, and in Europe on January 19, 2001. In many aspects, this game plays very similarly to games from the Final Fantasy franchise, with some differences. The one major difference is the combat system, which uses QTEs (Quick Time Events) to add interactivity to the combat, whereas otherwise the combat is essentially identical to any turn-based JRPG.

Why This Game is Special to Me
I first played this game eight or nine years ago on the original PlayStation. This game was the very first JRPG that I played, and I immediately fell in love with this game and the JRPG genre. Since then, I have replayed this game about two or three times and enjoyed every minute of it. For this reason I felt that I wanted to share this game with others through the medium of Let's Play.

Update
Part 1 - I am aware of the issue with the terrible black border problem on this video and am currently uploading a fixed version.
Part 2 - The black border problem isn't nearly as pronounced in this video for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wwweh
Apr 3, 2012
Lets try this again.

My other car is a submarine: Let's play a Metal Slug Retrospective!

About the series
Metal Slug is a 2d run and gun originally developed by the Nazca Corporation. It's known for it's difficulty, detailed "hand drawn" art style and humor. It requires quick reflexes and persistence!

About the LP
This will be a video Let's Play going through most (if not all) iterations of the game including precursors and off shoots (yes, maybe even the 3d ps2 game). First of all we'll be playing through Metal Slug precursors like In The Hunt and Gunforce 2 and then move on to the main series.

Test post In The Hunt:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppilpTTOa94

Improvements on last test posts:
Less retardation! Clearer audio! Actually explaining what the game is rather than a brain dump of facts!

wwweh fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 31, 2012

• Locked thread