Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Naoto's skill list is confusing now. There's still Megidolaon and Mind Charge and the full instant kill selection. Vorpal Blade is still powerful, but Myriad Arrows has more accuracy and more potential damage if all three hits connect, but the physical skills are still pretty easy to exclude entirely. There's now Invigorate 3 and Angelic Grace begging for slots, and the dynes really are a different can of worms all together. Heat Riser is a cool spell especially with the change to buffs. And of course Shield of Justice is a great panic button and a surefire answer to charges. I'll probably have to sit down with a couple of notebooks and graphs to figure it out.

It's probably pretty justifiable now to completely remove any trace of the instant kill spells and gear Naoto more towards Mind Charge abuse and support. Probably what I'd do, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Nate RFB posted:

Mid to low seventies seems to be quite a bit too low to me. I mean it doesn't sound like you were going out of your way to be underleveled, so I'm assuming you're playing on Hard or just didn't really have much luck with golden hands. I didn't really do that much grinding at all (two trips to each dungeon, the second time for the optional bosses) and I hit the 70's in November. I mean, you can't even fuse Yoshitsune yet! And that's just not right.

It's kind of hard to get to the final dungeon in the mid to low seventies in P4G unless you're actively avoiding Golden Hands (or they just don't spawn), but in the PS2 that was the level I was at and I didn't feel underleveled for the boss at all.

It's pretty doable at that level, just follow the advice posted already, conserve your SP in the first round and don't be afraid to toss out a Soma or two.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Naoto has no weaknesses, good stats, an excellent selection of skills, multiple possible roles she can play, and looks good in a suit. Clearly she is the best character in the game, better than the Kanji and the Teddie combined. :colbert:

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Pollyanna posted:

Naoto has no weaknesses, good stats, an excellent selection of skills, multiple possible roles she can play, and looks good in a suit. Clearly she is the best character in the game, better than the Kanji and the Teddie combined. :colbert:

Well to be perfectly honest, Teddie's clearly the game's weakest character. His unique ability sucks, his healing and damage-dealing are all easily topped by Yukiko, and while he's a handy source of buffs and the like, he doesn't really do any role better than anyone else, and he doesn't get Heat Riser or Debilitate or anything comparable. I used him instead of Yukiko this most recent playthrough and while he's perfectly adequate (all of your party members are pretty awesome at what they do) he's just not good at anythng that someone else isn't better at.

Hell, Yosuke's a better choice in basically 90% of all scenarios.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Teddie's thing is that he can do a lot of things in one party slot. This made him really good in the original game, but now that every character can do more he kind of lags. He used to be the only dedicated buffer in the party.

TenaCrane
Sep 14, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'm pretty early in the game, just failed the courage check with asking for Chie's number which is a shame because I wanted to see her reaction. :saddowns:

Are there any courage boosting things I should watch out for? The only one I really remember is checking the fridge for food.

e: Never actually played persona 4 myself, but I basically know the story from others.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

TenaCrane posted:

I'm pretty early in the game, just failed the courage check with asking for Chie's number which is a shame because I wanted to see her reaction. :saddowns:

Are there any courage boosting things I should watch out for? The only one I really remember is checking the fridge for food.

e: Never actually played persona 4 myself, but I basically know the story from others.

Defeating bonus bosses gives you some courage boosts. There are also books you can read to increase the stat. Also, I think there are some dialogue choices that raise it as well, but they aren't that common.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

TenaCrane posted:

Pretty sure you can't make that check anyhow on the first playthrough.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
My problem with Naoto is that she's actually a bit too diverse. She's good in a number of things, but not great in any one particular area. About the only thing she excels in above all others is defense, as she has no weaknesses and can get Angelic Grace if you devote enough time to her (which is a problem in of itself). Her -dyne spells are pretty much useless without being Ma- versions and without Amp skills. Hama and Mudo skills aren't really useful without their corresponding Boosts, and I doubt anyone is going to spend the skill slots for them. Not to mention they are a waste against bosses. She has a good buff, but only for one party member. And on top of all of this, realistically she will not be viable until December, meaning if you were going to use her you'd have to drop someone who would likely be at a higher level and with better equipment. The only thing I would have considered her as a shoo in for was Mind Charge and Megidolaon, but apparently the damage output from that is lacking.

I actually kind of like Teddie, but his S. Link kills it for me. You should have max personas by September where as he won't have it until December.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

TenaCrane posted:

In addition to the bosses and dialogue choices, working as a janitor in the hospital will increase your courage as well. There's a book you can read (the ghost stories one) that will let it increase faster.

Jackoff Pastorius
May 16, 2010

TenaCrane posted:

There's a book that raises courage (The Lovely Man) that comes out on 4/20, so you should definitely get that. Aside from that, keep eating food from the fridge, go to Aiya on rainy days and fight the bonus bosses. I think that it's actually impossible to take that choice outside of NG+ anyways, so don't take it as a sign of being behind on social stats or something.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

RentCavalier posted:

Well to be perfectly honest, Teddie's clearly the game's weakest character. His unique ability sucks, his healing and damage-dealing are all easily topped by Yukiko, and while he's a handy source of buffs and the like, he doesn't really do any role better than anyone else, and he doesn't get Heat Riser or Debilitate or anything comparable. I used him instead of Yukiko this most recent playthrough and while he's perfectly adequate (all of your party members are pretty awesome at what they do) he's just not good at anythng that someone else isn't better at.

Hell, Yosuke's a better choice in basically 90% of all scenarios.

I'd argue Chie's the weakest character. Power Charged God's Hand doesn't do a whole lot of damage especially when Rise's throwing out free charges every once in a while. (In the final boss fight, after getting a free charge, Chie did about 1200 points of damage. With Boost + Amp, Yosuke and Teddie did ~2300). Agneyastra misses too goddamn much and doesn't do that much damage. Her ice magic caps out at Mabufu/Bufula if you don't want to waste time with bike dates. Dragon Hustle is too expensive to be cast more than once, unless you for some reason put a Chakra Ring on her. Revolution's handy when I'm running a physical specialized team, but the difference isn't really that noticeable.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Strange Quark posted:

unless you for some reason put a Chakra Ring on her.
It's not a bad idea in theory, but it would be a viable strategy for all of one dungeon. Pretty much the only thing Chie has over Kanji is Twin Dragons.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
How do you get the bud-catching kid's net back?

TenaCrane
Sep 14, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ohtsam posted:

Pretty sure you can't make that check anyhow on the first playthrough.

I thought so, I mostly don't want to miss any future choices.

Forgot about the janitor job raising courage, thanks. I'll keep an eye out for books too, especially with one so close.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Bogart posted:

How do you get the bud-catching kid's net back?
In early June when he says it's gone missing, you have to give a Red Goldfish to the woman in white at the shrine at night.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Nate RFB posted:

My problem with Naoto is that she's actually a bit too diverse. She's good in a number of things, but not great in any one particular area. About the only thing she excels in above all others is defense, as she has no weaknesses and can get Angelic Grace if you devote enough time to her (which is a problem in of itself). Her -dyne spells are pretty much useless without being Ma- versions and without Amp skills. Hama and Mudo skills aren't really useful without their corresponding Boosts, and I doubt anyone is going to spend the skill slots for them. Not to mention they are a waste against bosses. She has a good buff, but only for one party member. And on top of all of this, realistically she will not be viable until December, meaning if you were going to use her you'd have to drop someone who would likely be at a higher level and with better equipment. The only thing I would have considered her as a shoo in for was Mind Charge and Megidolaon, but apparently the damage output from that is lacking.

I actually kind of like Teddie, but his S. Link kills it for me. You should have max personas by September where as he won't have it until December.

While I agree that Naoto is mediocre for bosses, her Mamudo/Mahama skills are fantastic just for crawling through the dungeons, especially considering how many enemies are weak to either in the later ones. It's nice to be able to clear out out half the enemies in one go, especially if there's reinforcements.

I've also never noted the need for the hama/mudo boosts. It's not uncommon for her to drop everyone even without them.

I think her strongpoint is really that she's a character with useful skills in every single encounter. She's never just flat out weak in bad match-ups or require -Breaks in order to work. That plus her invigorate abilities make her the most user-friendly of the characters.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
That basically summarizes her in the original as well, minus invigorate anyway. She was always good on trash, mediocre on bosses. Now she has heat riser so she has a place if people want to bring her.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Nate RFB posted:

It's not a bad idea in theory, but it would be a viable strategy for all of one dungeon. Pretty much the only thing Chie has over Kanji is Twin Dragons.

She has a better magical stat than Kanji, but that's negligible because of her low-tier spells. Chie also has a multi-enemy, multi-hit attack that can be pretty useful.

Kanji's a better physical attacker though. His strength stat is a lot higher, capping off around 90 when he's level 99. Power charge + primal force > power charge + God Hand.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
Chie is a great random-encounter killer before you get Naoto.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Thundercracker posted:

While I agree that Naoto is mediocre for bosses, her Mamudo/Mahama skills are fantastic just for crawling through the dungeons, especially considering how many enemies are weak to either in the later ones. It's nice to be able to clear out out half the enemies in one go, especially if there's reinforcements.
That's the thing though, Yosuke, Yukiko, and Teddie can do that as well by opening up the battle with a Ma-dyne Boost+Amp spell. Anything that gets reflected back is absorbed, and any SP used up would be instantly recovered by Rise after the battle.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Nate RFB posted:

Hama and Mudo skills aren't really useful without their corresponding Boosts, a

This isn't true at all, this isn't Persona 3.

They hit more often then not, and if the enemy is weak to them they're guaranteed to hit.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Nate RFB posted:

In early June when he says it's gone missing, you have to give a Red Goldfish to the woman in white at the shrine at night.

Oh, bugger that, then. I hate the fishing minigame. Thanks, though!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I can't imagine you'd have any trouble catching a couple of Red Goldfish (need one for a Hermit link as well), they just about impossible to not catch. It's worth it doing it as soon as possible too, since the bug minigame doesn't use up time so you can collect a huge amount over the course of the year if you get it early.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Finally finished at 143 hours, 16 minutes. Was slightly overleveled for the vast majority of the game, including the final boss, but it was still fun as hell.

Now to decide whether I want to start up NG+ immediately, or take a break and do another run through of P4 Arena's story mode...

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Nate RFB posted:

That's the thing though, Yosuke, Yukiko, and Teddie can do that as well by opening up the battle with a Ma-dyne Boost+Amp spell. Anything that gets reflected back is absorbed, and any SP used up would be instantly recovered by Rise after the battle.
Isn't that sort of the point though? I thought the idea of all the rebalancing was that anyone can take anyone and feel like they're getting something unique out of their choices, but functionally speaking you're pretty much doing the same thing with any party arrangement if you dig past the mechanics.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

W.T. Fits posted:

Finally finished at 143 hours, 16 minutes. Was slightly overleveled for the vast majority of the game, including the final boss, but it was still fun as hell.
That's...pretty crazy. I'm guessing this was a Hard run?

Rascyc posted:

Isn't that sort of the point though? I thought the idea of all the rebalancing was that anyone can take anyone and feel like they're getting something unique out of their choices, but functionally speaking you're pretty much doing the same thing with any party arrangement if you dig past the mechanics.
Well, sure. I was just saying that they could do that as well, on top of being nominal characters against bosses.

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

After the war of great troll, he only stands. He now returns to the legendary city to seek revenge on the death of his village. Episode 1: "Legendary School Girl Bubble Gum! Will Senpai Notice Me!?"
As great as Golden is, the game is heavily unbalanced in favor of the player, even on the harder difficulties. I mean, shuffle time, the golden hands, the new party-member abilities, and the ability to chose what moves you party knows, as well as what skills your Persona can inherit, all make this game easy to plow through. I was level 99 by Naoto's dungeon. I guess you can always limit yourself on what opportunities you take, and I know this sounds selfish, but I dislike not taking advantage of the opportunities the game hands me. While I wouldn't want all these new features removed from P5, I think they need to be nerfed or re-balanced.

Pistol Packin Poet
Nov 5, 2012

Everyone needs an
escape goat!
Sorry if this was asked before but, who is the Voice Actress for Marie?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Dr Pepper posted:

This isn't true at all, this isn't Persona 3.

They hit more often then not, and if the enemy is weak to them they're guaranteed to hit.

On top of which, with Rise doing Full Analysis for you a lot of the time you actually know when something is weak to Light or Dark. That's maybe the biggest change for me on Hama and Mudo -- in vanilla P4 I'd never bother to burn the SP to figure out if something was weak to either when you do no damage on a miss. But knowing right off the bat that something is weak in that regard just hands you instakills on a lot of dungeon trash.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Nate RFB posted:

That's...pretty crazy. I'm guessing this was a Hard run?

Nope, Normal. I just took my time with it because I enjoy the game and didn't feel in any big hurry to beat it.

Pistol Packin Poet posted:

Sorry if this was asked before but, who is the Voice Actress for Marie?

Eden Riegel.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Naoto is pretty quick too. More often than not, she'd have the first turn and could Mahamaon at the start of battle and kill everyone. At the very least, she had a better chance of hitting a weakness right off the bat with Light, Dark, Fire and Wind.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Bogart posted:

Oh, bugger that, then. I hate the fishing minigame. Thanks, though!

They're wrong, you don't need to give the woman anything. She will ask for a Red Goldfish, but if you don't have one she'll still give you the net, just not the normal reward of a jewel in addition.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Nessa posted:

Naoto is pretty quick too. More often than not, she'd have the first turn and could Mahamaon at the start of battle and kill everyone. At the very least, she had a better chance of hitting a weakness right off the bat with Light, Dark, Fire and Wind.

Her speed really bears mentioning, she's easily the fastest party member or close enough to, and considering how her attacks are laid out, she can often single-handidly wreck encounters with a mind/charge and a megidolan before the enemy has even attacked.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Pretty sure Youske is the fastest party member. Though Naoto is probably second fastest.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I forget, does weapon strength actually factor into persona physical special attack damage or is that just keyed off of strength and the ability?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Captain Oblivious posted:

I forget, does weapon strength actually factor into persona physical special attack damage or is that just keyed off of strength and the ability?

The latter, though strength factors into normal attack damage.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Weapon matters, I just tested. Yosuke did about half his normal attack damage with a Bash at level 19, but if weapon didn't factor in he'd be doing more like a fifth or a tenth (he's got a 360 strength weapon).

EDIT: OK, I guess now I have to buy him a cheap weapon and test again with that...
E2: Yeah, OK, I'm wrong. I underestimated how much damage he did.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jan 1, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

MrAristocrates posted:

They're wrong, you don't need to give the woman anything. She will ask for a Red Goldfish, but if you don't have one she'll still give you the net, just not the normal reward of a jewel in addition.
Are you sure? I'm fairly sure I talked to her and she asked for a Red Goldfish and just ended the conversation there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Question about early Jan: its like 1-2 or 1-3 and I'm supposed to talk to all my social links, is this the time when I don't go home despite it wanting me to? I tried to go to Junes but nothing seems to be available. Just worried about missing stuff haha

• Locked thread