Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

converge posted:

Do they have Herman Miller office chairs at Design Within Reach?

Yes, go check it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005
I finally got my Embody today! I'm so pleased. I was in touch with Workscape (Herman Miller's main distributor in the UK) right up to the delivery and they put me in touch with the Herman Miller driver too to make sure everything went smoothly. Couldn't recommend their service more.

The chair itself looks amazing (I went for all black with mulberry fabric) and it's really comfy. It took a short while to adjust and it came with a little pamphlet telling you how to adjust everything and in what order. I've only sat it in for a couple of hours... at first I was a little unsure but now that I'm used to the feel, it feels really supportive and fits me really well, especially around the middle back. Having my arms free at the sides because of the narrow back is amazing. I'm finding I'm constantly in a slightly reclined position which I rarely am with other chairs, and it means the chair's always free to move back and forth which is pretty freeing.

Bottom line: I'm loving it so far, but only time will tell once I've spent a (long) while sitting in it. I'm also expecting the reclining mechanism and the seat will wear in a bit over time and become very slightly less resistive, which is what the sales rep told me when I tried theirs in the showroom.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

I just received my Aeron Basic large and I find the edge of the seat really digs into my thighs. It's remarkably uncomfortable, bordering on painful.

I don't think I'm going to get used to it. The Ikea Markus was much better, to be honest.

Extremely disappointed, what a waste... and now I can look forward to dealing with craiglist morons to get rid of this thing.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

smooth jazz posted:

I just received my Aeron Basic large and I find the edge of the seat really digs into my thighs. It's remarkably uncomfortable, bordering on painful.

I don't think I'm going to get used to it. The Ikea Markus was much better, to be honest.

Extremely disappointed, what a waste... and now I can look forward to dealing with craiglist morons to get rid of this thing.
There will be a piece of padding that resides on that edge, you can reach under the seat and simply pull it out and it'll make it a lot better.

So I'd suggest doing that before you try to re-sell it.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

cliffy posted:

What is everyone's opinion on the Embody? I just saw one pop up on my local craigslist for ~$500. I don't have any experience sitting in one. I currently have an Aeron which is mostly comfortable, and I like it, but extended periods can still be detrimental for my back.

I understand that sitting is not good for long periods anyway, but life as a programmer dictates some sedentary time.

Should I snatch it up? I'll definitely sit in it before making a purchase, but it's difficult to gauge the experience without sitting in it for long periods.

Yes, the Embody is awesome. I like it better than the Aeron, but you should sit in it to see if you do. Great deal though.

cycleback
Dec 3, 2004
The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources
Is $150 for a first generation used Steelcase Leap 462 series a decent deal?

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/bfd/3461744280.html

I think this is the first generation of leap chairs. I desperately need to get a new computer chair.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I have terrible posture. Like I caught myself almost lying down in my big comfortable chair typing this.

Does anyone here use a stool to force themselves to sit up straight? Just wondering how this works on a long-term basis. I'm thinking about implementing this both at home and at the office so I guess basically a "giving up chairs for stools" sort of thing.

I'm just using a cheap costco $100-something chair which has zero lumbar or lower back support and basically almost forces me to lean back unless I want to not use the backrest.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
All sitting is pretty bad for you. Using a standing desk is ideal but if you can't then one of the used chairs people talk about in here are your best bet. You'll probably still slouch using a stool.

I had a lovely chair and I got a used Steelcase Leap, my hip at the back was just constant pain and within about a month of having this chair it's gone. When I sat down in my old chair the pain would get worse, it never happened in this one. This chair and doing a bunch of stretches probably contributed to getting rid of it. My upper back posture is still pretty lovely though, chair can't do anything about that.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Martytoof posted:

I have terrible posture. Like I caught myself almost lying down in my big comfortable chair typing this.

Does anyone here use a stool to force themselves to sit up straight? Just wondering how this works on a long-term basis. I'm thinking about implementing this both at home and at the office so I guess basically a "giving up chairs for stools" sort of thing.

I'm just using a cheap costco $100-something chair which has zero lumbar or lower back support and basically almost forces me to lean back unless I want to not use the backrest.

I will occasionally use a stool/backless chair for a while, but it's not something that's comfortable for me all day. If I could find a cheap one, I would love to give a Swopper a try.

I've also had luck with chairs that I can adjust so that the seat tilts forward a bit. It makes me sit more upright and slouch less.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

smooth jazz posted:

Just don't do what I did and give yourself Sciatic nerve problems (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nervus_ischiadicus) from sitting on a chair that just doesn't fit properly.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

ILikeVoltron posted:

Just don't do what I did and give yourself Sciatic nerve problems (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nervus_ischiadicus) from sitting on a chair that just doesn't fit properly.

Yeah, I had some pretty bad lower back pain pain that radiated all the way down my left leg due to sciatica a little while back back and my cousin (a physical therapist) told me it was because my home office chair was poo poo (and I exacerbated the issue with my constant biking). Took about 3 weeks for the pain to subside after some therapy, but man, I never want to experience the pain caused by sciatica again; getting out of bed was like the worst loving thing ever. I've since thrown out my previous lovely $60 office chair and got this big rear end thing for ~$300 from Amazon that is comfortable as gently caress.

Veinless
Sep 11, 2008

Smells like motivation
Can anyone identify this Steelcase?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Veinless posted:

Can anyone identify this Steelcase?

Dunno the name, but I have one that my grandmother found used. It's horribly uncomfortable and broke after a couple of months. It's more of a "sell in bulk to corporations" chair than anything like the Leap.

Veinless
Sep 11, 2008

Smells like motivation

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Dunno the name, but I have one that my grandmother found used. It's horribly uncomfortable and broke after a couple of months. It's more of a "sell in bulk to corporations" chair than anything like the Leap.

Boo. Thanks for the quick reply, going to pass on this one.

Lbeuol
Aug 19, 2006

Washing my hands since 2002
I have pretty bad back problems and have been on the lookout for an Aeron/Mirra/Leap but I haven't found a single one in my area on craigslist/etc in decent shape with its warranty, all of them have also been $400+. In the meantime my back and legs are killing me so I need a temporary solution. I've tried a wide range of staples/store office chairs but they have all been very uncomfortable, I'm wondering if anyone's had http://tinyurl.com/ad8p4cr or if anyone has any suggestions?

Well there is a Humanscale Freedom in my area for $500 but...

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Lbeuol posted:

I have pretty bad back problems and have been on the lookout for an Aeron/Mirra/Leap but I haven't found a single one in my area on craigslist/etc in decent shape with its warranty, all of them have also been $400+.
That's pretty normal. You're better off saving the money you'd be spending on a conga line of Office Depot chairs and putting it towards that. In the meantime, take breaks often when you've been sitting for long periods, and try to do some standing working if you're able to.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

I just got a great deal on a used HÅG H04 4600. I didn't see them mentioned in the first page or so that I read here, but I went to the local "backcenter" and sat in a bunch of chairs and this one was sweet as hell. You adjust the height of the lumbar support and the forward-back position of the seat and then the whole thing stays locked in place but it kind of rocks front and back just under your hips. Felt great on the day and feels great today, too. Well chuffed with it.

johnnyXcrane
Aug 16, 2011
I got the Herman Miller Mirra for like half an year now.
And now im getting problems with my butt and my legs. The cushion is too hard for me and my legs are getting numb because of the edge i guess.

Does anyone know a good cushion i could put on the chair? Maybe these cushions for wheelchairs?

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

johnnyXcrane posted:

I got the Herman Miller Mirra for like half an year now.
And now im getting problems with my butt and my legs. The cushion is too hard for me and my legs are getting numb because of the edge i guess.

Does anyone know a good cushion i could put on the chair? Maybe these cushions for wheelchairs?

Don't, throw the drat thing away. See my post on this page for reference.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
I just got my basic Mirra chair ($360 open box at AllModern.com) and holy crap this is a huge upgrade from my old Ikea chair with two broken casters. Given that it still includes the 12 year warranty, I'd say that I got a heck of a deal.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Lbeuol posted:

I have pretty bad back problems and have been on the lookout for an Aeron/Mirra/Leap but I haven't found a single one in my area on craigslist/etc in decent shape with its warranty, all of them have also been $400+. In the meantime my back and legs are killing me so I need a temporary solution. I've tried a wide range of staples/store office chairs but they have all been very uncomfortable, I'm wondering if anyone's had http://tinyurl.com/ad8p4cr or if anyone has any suggestions?

Well there is a Humanscale Freedom in my area for $500 but...

Dropping by to say that six months later my Freedom still rocks. $500 is a bit steep though - I picked mine up for £200 (~$300), and it was in perfect condition in every way but the paint on the casters.

johnnyXcrane
Aug 16, 2011

ILikeVoltron posted:

Don't, throw the drat thing away. See my post on this page for reference.

That fuckin char costs me 1200$, drat it.
I read that you can remove the front cushion on the Aeron and that makes it better. Maybe that would work on the Mirra too?

drat FUCKIN CHAIRS

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

johnnyXcrane posted:

That fuckin char costs me 1200$, drat it.
I read that you can remove the front cushion on the Aeron and that makes it better. Maybe that would work on the Mirra too?

drat FUCKIN CHAIRS

Is it possible you just didn't get the right size? I used a hand-me-down in the office and found after months of sitting in it how bad it was for me, it could have been related to the size but I honestly think that chair is the devil. I got a steelcase criterion now and love it.

johnnyXcrane
Aug 16, 2011
The Mirra only comes in one size and I'm 5'11, so totally average height.
It really pisses me off, here in Germany all the known chairs like Miller, Steelcase etc are sooo expensive. :(

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

johnnyXcrane posted:

The Mirra only comes in one size and I'm 5'11, so totally average height.
It really pisses me off, here in Germany all the known chairs like Miller, Steelcase etc are sooo expensive. :(

The Mirra comes in one size, but it also has adjustable seat depth as a standard option. If the front edge of the seat digs into your knees then you need to shorten the seat - assuming some cheapskate didn't remove the option.

Also, if you paid $1200 for a Mirra you were savagely ripped off. Showroom price in the UK is only about $1000 equivalent. I got mine online for $850 equivalent.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jan 5, 2013

johnnyXcrane
Aug 16, 2011

Jedit posted:

The Mirra comes in one size, but it also has adjustable seat depth as a standard option. If the front edge of the seat digs into your knees then you need to shorten the seat - assuming some cheapskate didn't remove the option.

Also, if you paid $1200 for a Mirra you were savagely ripped off. Showroom price in the UK is only about $1000 equivalent. I got mine online for $850 equivalent.

I already got the front edge on the shortest setting.I don't even think its the hard plastic edge that fucks up my legs, The mesh front itself is just somewhat harder and higher than the rest.
And yes in Germany you get ripped off for chairs. That was the cheapest i found after two weeks of searching. You should see the prices for a Aeron or a Steelcase Leap..

johnnyXcrane fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jan 6, 2013

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
I've found the most comfortable way to sit in the Mirra chair is feet flat and sitting all the way back in the chair, or quite a bit forward on the seat and reclining back a little bit. Your legs should not be placing pressure on the front edge of the chair, and since you're the same height as me don't use the highest height setting. How long are you sitting in the chair every day? When possible you should stand up and not sit, at work and at home I've been doing that and it's really been making my legs feel better. Here's a quick article on the health hazards of sitting too much. http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/news/fullstory_130280.html

I'm starting to think I should get an adjustable height desk so I can use it while standing, rather than when I'm just watching movies or TV. This actually looks pretty nice http://www.versatables.com/products/versa-center/, it appears that you can set it to any height as I don't see any screw holes. I can't tell how difficult it is to actually move the pieces around though. It uses screws and friction to hold the parts onto the supports, so you probably have to get a screwdriver to change the height of the desk.

Edit: Push pin model, only up to 36 inches. :mad: http://www.versatables.com/products/deluxe-height-adjustable-computer-table/

Yaos fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jan 6, 2013

johnnyXcrane
Aug 16, 2011
Now i got a blanket on the seat. That seems to help right now.
I'm still not sure what the right height is for me, but yeah i was lookin for a height adjustable desk too.
My desk got a height of like 29.5 inches. So i need to sit pretty high on the chair to reach the mouse/keyboard.

The Ikea Galant desks are height adjustable and are pretty cheap. Anyone got one?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

johnnyXcrane posted:

My desk got a height of like 29.5 inches. So i need to sit pretty high on the chair to reach the mouse/keyboard.
Get a footrest. That should allow you to sit at the correct height for your desk but keep the front edge of your chair from cutting off circulation. A cheap one is fine, just as long as you can adjust the angle.

Height adjustable desks and keyboard trays are also an option but footrests are way cheaper and easier.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT
Well, this sucks. The Herman Miller Aeron B with PostureFit I bought from Design Within Reach came in on Thursday, and after sitting in it for two days I'm pretty sure the drat thing is giving me more back pain than when I was sitting in a rigid wooden dining chair. I'm about 5'6" and 160 lbs, so I'm pretty sure that the B is the correct size for me — my back just feels sore after I get out of the chair. I don't know if I should keep messing with the adjustments and try to find a good fit, or if there's something in my posture that causing the pain, or if I should just say "gently caress it" and see if I can return it or sell it on Craigslist.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Rasamune posted:

Well, this sucks. The Herman Miller Aeron B with PostureFit I bought from Design Within Reach came in on Thursday, and after sitting in it for two days I'm pretty sure the drat thing is giving me more back pain than when I was sitting in a rigid wooden dining chair. I'm about 5'6" and 1 60 lbs, so I'm pretty sure that the B is the correct size for me — my back just feels sore after I get out of the chair. I don't know if I should keep messing with the adjustments and try to find a good fit, or if there's something in my posture that causing the pain, or if I should just say "gently caress it" and see if I can return it or sell it on Craigslist.
drat that does suck. I received an aeron b for christmas and it is amazing (although I use one at work and knew I liked it). I'm a little heavier/taller though. Have you fiddled with the lumbar support or is the problem happening to a different area of your back?

e: just realized I do not know what posturefit means. To the internet!

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

TheDK posted:

drat that does suck. I received an aeron b for christmas and it is amazing (although I use one at work and knew I liked it). I'm a little heavier/taller though. Have you fiddled with the lumbar support or is the problem happening to a different area of your back?

It's mostly the upper back and shoulder area where I'm feeling the discomfort.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

My current chair is destroying my back since I started working from home and realized that sitting in it all the time that is sucks.

What is a good cheaper choice? I have looked through the thread and while I appreciate the value in $500 chairs, I don't have that kind of money.

Would it be a good bet just to go to Ikea or some department store and sit in some chairs and pick one?

I think my current one, the lack of padding is killing me. But at previous jobs I've had no problem with the generic rolly type office chair.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
do you guys have any recommendations for cheap, decent standing desks that can accommodate a computer / screen of some sort? my back still feels terrible after spending ungodly amounts of money on an embody, I think the real solution is just to move around more and not sit hunched over at my desk all goddamn day long.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Rasamune posted:

It's mostly the upper back and shoulder area where I'm feeling the discomfort.

This could be related to the height of the desk/arm rests/keyboard. Try adjusting the chair so your shoulders are relaxed when you're typing.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

mindphlux posted:

do you guys have any recommendations for cheap, decent standing desks that can accommodate a computer / screen of some sort? my back still feels terrible after spending ungodly amounts of money on an embody, I think the real solution is just to move around more and not sit hunched over at my desk all goddamn day long.

http://lukethomas.com/100-dollar-ikea-stand-up-desk/

You can pick a different top if you need to, the Galant tops are pretty big. Go wild.

He's a bunch more. I love Ikea! (but don't buy their chairs, their poo poo padding can't support a proper robust goon-rear end)

http://lifehacker.com/5934906/standing-desks-on-the-cheap-the-ikea-guide

maniacripper fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Feb 5, 2013

Sackmo
Oct 13, 2004
I really like that idea of making a standing desk from Ikea parts. I've been pondering doing something similar for a reading desk. The only problem with that one, however, seems to be the short legs. I'm only 5'8", and I figured somewhere around 44" would be good for a desk for myself. Those legs are a bit stubby at 35". I've read you want the desk top to be fairly level with your elbows.

I wonder if these legs would work better since they at least go up to 43":

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/84609085/

Edit: There's also this, which is a cool way to convert a desk you already have.

http://iamnotaprogrammer.com/Ikea-Standing-desk-for-22-dollars.html

Sackmo fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Feb 5, 2013

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

maniacripper posted:

http://lukethomas.com/100-dollar-ikea-stand-up-desk/

You can pick a different top if you need to, the Galant tops are pretty big. Go wild.

He's a bunch more. I love Ikea! (but don't buy their chairs, their poo poo padding can't support a proper robust goon-rear end)

http://lifehacker.com/5934906/standing-desks-on-the-cheap-the-ikea-guide

I love it!

Ikea was the first place I went looking for a standing desk, but I was really disappointed with what they had pre-made. I never even thought about hacking one together. I'll probably end up doing this, thanks.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Sylink posted:

My current chair is destroying my back since I started working from home and realized that sitting in it all the time that is sucks.

What is a good cheaper choice? I have looked through the thread and while I appreciate the value in $500 chairs, I don't have that kind of money.

Would it be a good bet just to go to Ikea or some department store and sit in some chairs and pick one?

I think my current one, the lack of padding is killing me. But at previous jobs I've had no problem with the generic rolly type office chair.

I bought two of those generic rolly-type office chairs on Craigslist and had great experiences with both. They were used Steelcase Criterion chairs. One was $30 and the other was $35, I think. I see them up all the time. I like them a lot for working from home, and my wife digs the adjustable armrests for when she does long bouts of sewing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000
Steelcase is currently having a 15% off sale across the board until Feb 18th, good opportunity to snag some chairs from them.

Regarding desks, if you're willing to spring for an electric sit-to-stand variety, the best option I've seen is combining an Ikea table top with this base from Ergoprise. Still pretty pricey, but you save a bundle compared to full sit-to-stand desks like the GeekDesk, UpDesk, NextDesk, or Humanscale Float.