Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EdgeryWorthy
Oct 5, 2012

So what's your type? You're a herbivore guy, so do you prefer a carnivore girl?

SgtKirby posted:

I think he was talking about what is going to happen in the game, not in the light novel.

I'm pretty sure during the last thread he mentioned that DR Zero had a scene that was really disturbing to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

If you think I'm that easily disturbed, you have the wrong person.

DR/Zero is just beginning, you know.

King Christmas
Oct 17, 2012

I fell out of a plane crash because you need to stop.

orenronen posted:

How many chapters does the book have? Sorry, I'm just kind of OCD about book length, in that I like to have an estimate of how long something's going to be before starting.

King Christmas fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jan 1, 2013

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

orenronen posted:

Eeek! :gonk:

All the same, I wonder how it's going to end. It's far too late for me to stop now.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

orenronen posted:

I faintly heard my unconsciousness yelling at me to stop

Should this be "subconscious mind" or something?

SusanosWrath
Jan 3, 2012

This Unit Will Self-Destruct Upon Termination of Target
The recent DR/Zero event certainly is pretty drat bad, it makes you wonder what exactly is being planned here. Then again, possibly the only goal is to try and make Ms. Forgetful despair despite her natural cheerfulness. I mean, why else would she be targeted?

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
If you wanted to make her Despair you could just take away her notebook. She will forget the murder anyway.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

pumpinglemma posted:

Probably.

Vyxzuw
Oct 16, 2012

Please stop shitposting in the Let's Play Dangan Ronpa thread!
I don't think she was targeted. I think she is being used to target someone else.

Maybe this is an attempt to blackmail Matsuda or something.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
So far the thing I like the most about this is the mixing of different characters.
Naegi + fortuneteller = Naegi 2.0.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
His name is Nagito.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
I bet the really disturbing scene is when the novel goes into every sigle detail on how the 14 students were killed in that classrrom, probably in the form of a flashback of the killer's point of view, or maybe in the comatose student point of view.

Of course there is still the most despairing event so that could also be it if it's shown in the novel. All I know if this last update gave these reactions, I can't wait until we reach that scene!

IceBorg fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jan 2, 2013

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Suspicious Dish posted:

His name is Nagito.
In the sequel, an expy of a protagonist has a name. His name is Nagito Komaeda. His name is Nagito Komaeda. His name is Nagito Komaeda.

4th Asclepiadean
Feb 18, 2012

orenronen posted:

That's what I thought.
Oh boy! :allears:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

pumpinglemma posted:

No. Unconscious is the appropriate term, though "unconsciousness" does sound a little off. Unconscious mind would be, I guess most accurate.

Dr. Psychobabble
Jun 14, 2009

pumpinglemma posted:

Actually, regardless of how accurately she's using the term, if she meant to invoke the psychoanalitical term it is in fact unconcious. Subconcious implies a process that goes "below" conciousness, a low priority primal process, while Freud chose to use unconcious because their processes are just as important as the concious ones yet they are simply unavailable to the concious mind.

E:f,b

Soo... yeah. Now the truly scary part of having no memory comes. Losing your extended memory storage. I just wish she'd stop talking so much about her crush, it's a bit tiring.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

No. Unconscious is the appropriate term, though "unconsciousness" does sound a little off. Unconscious mind would be, I guess most accurate.

"Subconscious" is one of those odd and somewhat annoying words that kinda means everything and therefore doesn't really mean anything - at least, not academically, anyway. In popular usage, however, it is near-universally understood to refer to the unconscious mind/the id/that place you repress things to/that voice in the back of your mind that tells you stuff.

I might have preferred subconscious if this story did not have a SHSL Neurologist as a character. So, yes, Unconscious mind is probably the best bet here.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Just caught up on the thread and something's been bothering me.

Why are all the reds incredibly pixelated? This doesn't happen with any other colors. The game is definitely hi-res enough for this to not happen, so I'm wondering what's going on here. And it doesn't seem that the pixelating happens with red eyes (Peko's) or red mouths (pretty much every character with an open mouth). It might just be a thing with ascots, but Ibuki's hot pink ascot is HD.

Also notice that Usami's magic stick goes from a super pixelaty gem to pretty clear here:

The only other example of over-pixelation I could find is on Souda's chest badge here:

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

The bane of my existence.

pumpinglemma posted:

I think Ryouko may just be using the wrong terminology, because she is an airhead.

FighterKnuckles
Apr 17, 2010

The truth is in sight!
A minor thing I noticed from the most recent DR0 update is that you can't go out to the courtyard between 10pm to 7am. These are the same hours as Night Time from DR1. I dunno why, but I think that's pretty cool, that this has some consistency.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Brannock posted:

Why are all the reds incredibly pixelated? This doesn't happen with any other colors.

It happens. Red doesn't compress as well as other colours. If you've used a Wii U, you'll notice that Mario's clothes are much like that whereas Luigi and the Toads look fine. I really really really don't think it's a hidden thing about DR2's story.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

RefinedUndefined posted:

If that's the case, then why did he bring rope with him, or are you saying he left to get rope rather than just wait for her.

What, you don't keep rope on you? It's really helpful, whether it's pulling someone out of quicksand or tying up armed terrorists that you wrestled into submission.

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Just burn everything, that'll solve your problems.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

What, you don't keep rope on you? It's really helpful, whether it's pulling someone out of quicksand or tying up armed terrorists that you wrestled into submission.

Can't say that such events will happen to me but good point none the less.

Mersenne
Oct 9, 2012

Prime Suspect

"Oh...? How amusing. Do try to keep me entertained, ehehe..."

orenronen posted:

According to my map, Hope’s Peak Academy’s campus is shaped like a large diamond. It’s divided into four quarters - East, West, South and North, each the size of a full-scale regular high-school. The East quarter - through which I walked now - was the heart of the academy, where the buildings and facilities used by the main school are located. Many of its buildings were still under construction, but there were also several magnificent, envy-inducing research buildings for various fields, much like Matsuda-kun’s Biology Building. In addition, it seems this quarter is also home to the staff building, which students are forbidden to enter.

(...)

Then there’s the north quarter, which is apparently currently vacant. The only thing left there is the old school building, which was still in use until just recently. For the time being it seems it’s been left neglected, so naturally entrance is forbidden. In other words, there isn’t much to say about it.

Finally, at the very center of the campus, surrounded by the four quarters, is the “central plaza” - a large park-like space overgrown with trees. It’s often used as a relaxation area for the students, but it appears entry is forbidden between 10 at night and 7 in the morning.

...Well, that certainly leaves ample room for some really shady poo poo going on in those places, eh? Not to mention the school's essentially run by half of NERV; at this point I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they have entire secret areas full of classified/military-oriented activities, or maybe SHSL Despair set up shop right under everyone's noses. Or both :tinfoil:

orenronen posted:

“Dear Ms. Super High-school Level Pitiful Forgetful Girl,
I have taken all the precious “past memories” you have so meticulously chronicled.
There are a lot of them, and they all chronicle your past with Yasuke Matsuda.
That’s the entire weight of your past right there, isn’t it?
Isn’t it? Isn’t it?

Oh, 'sup Junko :haw:

orenronen posted:

I saw a man wearing a suit. His hair was white and his neck covered with countless deep wrinkles.

Suddenly, a gust of wind came blowing by.

Sway, sway.
Sway, sway.

The man’s figure swayed feebly in the wind.

I felt cold shivers all over my body. They felt as if someone touched the back of my neck with an icy hand. I faintly heard my unconsciousness yelling at me to stop, but my feet moved on their own accord as I approached the man and looked at his face.

Our eyes met.

My eyes met the bloodshot red eyeballs bulging out of the man’s wide open eyes.

His face was pale, and the dark blood-vessels on it made an eerie pattern. A tongue that looked like a rotting sea slug hanged down from his mouth, reaching the nape of his neck.

He was not standing on the ground.

He was hanging from a rope around his neck.

That rope was now swaying slowly in the wind.

It was a sight that, just by witnessing it, could snatch every bit of heat from your body -- but this is not the time to write flowery descriptions in my notebook! I should run away! This has nothing to do with me!

Drip. Drip.

Instead, my eyes dropped to the source of a strange sound. Drops fell from the man’s tiptoes and gathered in a small puddle under him.

For some reason there was a notebook lying in the puddle.

The moment I saw it, I felt intense electric currents running through my brain.

On the notebook’s front cover, in blurry yet clear letters, was written “Ryouko Otonashi’s Memory Notebook.”

I don't think she's necessarily being set up for murder. Perhaps the hanging corpse is actually her father, and that memory notebook contains just the right information for her to connect the dots and cause her to fall into despair once she realizes the truth. For that matter, who's to say the memory notebook in the puddle is even real? Junko could've easily planted a fake, or at least write some despair-inducing things of her own before leaving it there for Ryouko to find.

ultrakirby64
Dec 30, 2012
It might be fake. I mean since this is her only way to remember things, why would she hide it where she'd never remember to find it?

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.

orenronen posted:

You're running the Dangan Ronpa thread, aren't you?

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
This is a DR1 thing but it also involves this game so I don't think I can post it in the DR1 thread so I will post here.

About the DR1 free time events that are left I mentioned, in the DR1 thread, that I was looking forward to Fukawa's ones but thinking about it more I think I want to see Togami's more now because it would be better to see more of his character considering that he is in this game and maybe some nice character connections could be found(like the liking tea thing his profile says). .

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Brannock posted:

Why are all the reds incredibly pixelated?

I'm assuming this is a YV12 colorspace issue, which would mean oren records his game footage at 1x in YV12. Don't do that. Either record at native with RGB, or record at 2x.

kirbysuperstar posted:

It happens. Red doesn't compress as well as other colours. If you've used a Wii U, you'll notice that Mario's clothes are much like that whereas Luigi and the Toads look fine. I really really really don't think it's a hidden thing about DR2's story.

PNG is lossless, so this shouldn't happen just due to image compression -- except, of course, if my YV12 guess is correct.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

I opted to change the unconsciousness line to a somewhat more literal translation of the original.

As for the reds, it's not supposed to be plot-related, and is probably a side effect of the way I record, like Admiral H. Curtiss is guessing. I'll look into it, though any changes will only apply once the first chapter begins.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I'm assuming this is a YV12 colorspace issue, which would mean oren records his game footage at 1x in YV12. Don't do that. Either record at native with RGB, or record at 2x.

PNG is lossless, so this shouldn't happen just due to image compression -- except, of course, if my YV12 guess is correct.

Most CFW captures screenshots in BMP with no configuration options (aside from a key-combo to trigger it), and if he's using RemoteJoyLite for the video.. well I don't remember any config for that either, save for some debugging options. So, I dunno if there's anything that can be done.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

kirbysuperstar posted:

Most CFW captures screenshots in BMP with no configuration options (aside from a key-combo to trigger it), and if he's using RemoteJoyLite for the video.. well I don't remember any config for that either, save for some debugging options. So, I dunno if there's anything that can be done.

I don't use RJL's built-in video capture (I used to, but it didn't work very well on my machine). I'm using Fraps.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
For some reason, I don't think the slug-tongue person is working for SHSL Despair. Junko doesn't strike me as the kind of person who use underlings, and seeing Mukuro's demise, Junko will probably just kill them off at random.

IceBorg posted:

About the DR1 free time events that are left I mentioned, in the DR1 thread, that I was looking forward to Fukawa's ones but thinking about it more I think I want to see Togami's more now because it would be better to see more of his character considering that he is in this game and maybe some nice character connections could be found(like the liking tea thing his profile says). .
In DR1, Togami likes Kopi Luwak as a gift, but I am not sure if it is for the price or the coffee itself.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Jeek posted:

For some reason, I don't think the slug-tongue person is working for SHSL Despair. Junko doesn't strike me as the kind of person who use underlings, and seeing Mukuro's demise, Junko will probably just kill them off at random.

In DR1, Togami likes Kopi Luwak as a gift, but I am not sure if it is for the price or the coffee itself.

I think you're misremembering; Kirigiri is the one that likes that. Unless it's actually a super-nice gift for Togami and she just so happens to like it as well.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

I think you're misremembering; Kirigiri is the one that likes that. Unless it's actually a super-nice gift for Togami and she just so happens to like it as well.

Kopi luwak is in the "best gift" category for both Kirigiri and Togami.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

I don't know if they're going for Big Brother: Tropical survivor edition.

The only thing I can think of is from I think the Dark Tower book series where a group were placed in a perfectly normal empty island with facilities, buildings etc and managed to turn it into a living hell in the space of a year.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

orenronen posted:

I don't use RJL's built-in video capture (I used to, but it didn't work very well on my machine). I'm using Fraps.

FRAPS should record in a lossless RGB colorspace, which should be fine.

It could just be that the videos / textures on disk are YUV, in which case there's nothing we can do.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Fraps does not have lossless capture as a default since 3.0 I think. Strong red colors get captured already slightly blurry with the standard fraps codec. If you turn on the lossless one the file size goes up a lot but at least the red gets captured fine.

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004

orenronen posted:

That page was packed with sketches of a boy’s face. My heartbeat... wasn’t as fast as it could be but increased slightly in speed.

These are probably portraits of Matsuda-kun. But, since my heart isn’t beating that fast, they’re probably not very good likenesses. Maybe I should try to make some amendments?

“Hmmm... I think the nose is all wrong. No, maybe it’s the eyes...?”

I can’t really remember what Matsuda-kun’s face looks like, but I used my heartbeat as a measure and carefully took to redrawing the sketches. That’s probably how bomb disposal personnel feel when they go searching for land mines. No, I guess it’s a little different

And so, after messing with the portrait for a little bit, I felt my heart beating a little bit faster than it did before.

“I did it...”, I couldn’t wipe the smile off my face. If I just continue fiddling with the sketch little by little, I’m sure it will eventually look just like the real Matsuda-kun. I probably did the exact same thing before -- I just don’t remember it.

Suddenly, a strange feeling descended upon me. Is that what they call a feeling of loss? Until now, that kind of feeling was unfamiliar to the forgetful me. I’m sure people who learn to live with a small wound have to always endure a certain amount of pain, but that wasn’t the case for me. I had no idea how to deal with this new pain I currently felt.[/quote]

I'm really liking DR0. This update was especially interesting because it seems like they've put a good deal of thought and research into what it might be like to lose all your memories and the ability to make new ones. Memento is one of my favorite movies, so I guess it's not surprising that I'd be interested in this section, but it's still pretty neat. The idea of trying to draw someone's picture using only your emotions to help tell you if you're getting closer is such a neat idea. And my bet is that she isn't drawing Matsuda but someone else, possibly the escaped student from the incident.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't realize it was that long after I cut out the sections

Cyrai fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jan 2, 2013

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
Is it really necessary to quote the whole drat story to make general comments about it? It makes scrolling past all of the comments slightly more bothersome. How rude.

Also before we got to the spooky bits this girl said some weird-rear end things to her #1 crush :catstare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

I found a pair of Dangan Ronpa cosplayers in a collection of pictures from the Comiket 83 last week.
orenronen approved this picture, the left person isn't a spoiler

Tamba fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 2, 2013

• Locked thread