Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Macaluso posted:

So reading the OP, it sounds like I need to A) buy an SD card to transfer all my poo poo over and B) have to have both the Wii and WiiU at the same time to transfer everything? Is that right or am I a big dummy or doesn't know technology? I'd really like to get a WiiU, and I could afford it a lot easier if I could trade in my Wii to pay for part of it.

I don't know if this helps you any, but some Gamestops are apparently being OK to people in this situation? I'm not sure exactly what they are doing but I've heard of them at least letting you know about the issue and about a hundred or so pages back one goon said something about how his Gamestop, like, let him scan in the Wii to their system or something, but take it back home so he could do the transfer, then bring it back same day? Something like that. It never hurts to ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Go to one of the GameStops that has the large cabinets full of tablets and headsets and ipods, they should have WiFi set up now so you can do the transfer there in the store (same if anyone's upgrading from 3DS to XL).

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

The gamestop near me just lets you come back within a few days and redo the transaction with the trade in.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
That's interesting, that hadn't even occurred to me. I'm gonna have to ask my local Gamestops if they'll do that. Thanks for the help all!

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

For me and my family, the Wii U has been a hit. Even my jock of a brother who goes out partying every day and his friends love it. I think they might like it more than I do, and I've adored Nintendo since I was 4.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
Late December firmware update my rear end

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Late December firmware update my rear end

I haven't experienced any crashes in a long time. Maybe it's just luck though.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Bobnumerotres posted:

I haven't experienced any crashes in a long time. Maybe it's just luck though.

I was thinking of the loading time improvements they talked about.

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

AngryCaterpillar posted:

I was thinking of the loading time improvements they talked about.

I think that turned out to be a mistranslation.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yeah, people conflated two separate things from one of the DQ10 videos hosted by Iwata.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

ascii genitals posted:

I think that turned out to be a mistranslation.

Wow that's terrible. Well I hope they do mean to reduce these loading times more and streamline the menu.

I really think I should have instant access to my friendlist+messages the second I press the Home button, not have to go to a separate menu and poo poo. That's how it is on the PS3 and 360.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

This Nintendo Land music is amazingly catchy.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Bobnumerotres posted:

Wow that's terrible. Well I hope they do mean to reduce these loading times more and streamline the menu.

I really think I should have instant access to my friendlist+messages the second I press the Home button, not have to go to a separate menu and poo poo. That's how it is on the PS3 and 360.

I'm sure they do. But so far all we've actually heard on it is Iwata apologizing for them. Which pretty much means they're on it, right?

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

The Lobster posted:

I'm sure they do. But so far all we've actually heard on it is Iwata apologizing for them. Which pretty much means they're on it, right?

Surely. They really can't admit to it and then do nothing about it.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yeah, a fix is definitely coming, there's just no ETA.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

The Lobster posted:

Which pretty much means they're on it, right?

You'd think so, but this is Nintendo.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

kirbysuperstar posted:

You'd think so, but this is Nintendo.

The fact that they've acknowledged it at all indicates that they're already working on a fix. They have a pattern on this sort of thing that stretches back a little while.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Yeah, a fix is definitely coming, there's just no ETA.

Haha, don't worry, we'll find out two days ahead of the patch, possibly through a Nintendo Direct!

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

The Lobster posted:

Haha, don't worry, we'll find out two days ahead of the patch, possibly through a Nintendo Direct!

Which will be announced five minutes before it goes live.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I doubt the loading time issues are easy fixes either. They probably have to make a lot of changes to a lot of core parts of the software, which necessitates a lot of testing. I don't think it's something they're sitting on their rear end about, I think it's just not an easy thing to fix and may take a couple months.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
So what's the cheapest way to get a new Wiimote Plus? It looks like I missed out on the Flingsmash thing everyone was using before, since Amazon/Walmart/ToysRUs are all sold out or have it priced at $50 now.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Bobnumerotres posted:

Which will be announced five minutes before it goes live.

Oh don't be so pessimistic. We usually get about six hours' warning!

I love Nintendo Directs, though. Can't believe they are so recent. :3: Leave it to Nintendo to do something so adorable and fun.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

Chinston Wurchill posted:

You need an SD card, both consoles hooked up, and both consoles connected to the internet.

Worth mentioning is that you don't need both consoles hooked up and connected at the same time. You can hook up your Wii U, run it, disconnect it, hook up the Wii, run it, disconnect it, and hook up the Wii U again.

Don Octavion
Oct 17, 2003

Rabble-Rouser

mancalamania posted:

So what's the cheapest way to get a new Wiimote Plus? It looks like I missed out on the Flingsmash thing everyone was using before, since Amazon/Walmart/ToysRUs are all sold out or have it priced at $50 now.

If you're lucky like me, Walmarts in my area were putting Wii Play Motion in bargain bins and selling it for 15 dollars back in early December. It may not be possible to find a month later, but it would be worth trying just for the chance of getting a remote and a bundle game for so little.

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

For you, it was the last time you would ever post in YCS. But for me...it was Tuesday.
There is pretty much no chance of this ever happening, but if they patched online play into Nintendo Land it would probably be in my top 10 favorite games of all time.

Maybe instead of Nintendoland 2 they will just sell new attractions a la carte through DLC, and at that time online play could be integrated...:pray:

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Mr. Onslaught posted:

There is pretty much no chance of this ever happening, but if they patched online play into Nintendo Land it would probably be in my top 10 favorite games of all time.
I'm not saying it isn't possible to do so - it is certainly possible - but I think that it's a more difficult problem than you'd expect, and the designers have to answer a ton of questions, here's just the ones I thought of in a minute for just Luigi's Mansion -

1. If 3 players are at house A and 1 player is at house B playing as ghost, do we put the other player's screens on his television or leave it blank?

2. Who gets to decide which player gets to be ghost next round? (Currently, any player can choose to switch things, but that's not gonna work for online)

3. What do we do if everyone but one player disconnects? If two houses disconnect when 3 are playing?

4. If house A has no Wiimotes but House B has 2, what do we do when House B wants to play as ghost?

5. Is the game even viable when there are potentially multiple non-ghosts at different locations? Yelling "Ghost is near purple" doesn't help if the person is 2 states away

6. Do we randomly change levels or allow them to fight - if they fight, what system do we use to allow them to do so?

7. Is this game even fun when the players are not in the same room?

Now, I'm not saying that these questions cannot be answered - but some are not simple answers (picking who gets to be ghost/what level to do is something a designer has to sit down and hammer out), and all of them require time to think through carefully, plus design time, plus discussion between the designers and the programmers about what the programmers actually can't do, plus small amounts of art assets for messages and new selection screens and stuff.

It's a non-trivial (possible significant) amount of work to play the game in what might be a poor version of the games, would complicate the interface that's already honestly more difficult than it should be if they're trying to make the new Wii Sports, and wouldn't probably increase sales of the title. Not to mention that resources are finite, and any work to add online functionality would take away from programmers working on new levels for Mario Chase and Animal Crossing: Sweet Day, which is what they should be working on all day everyday, because I need my fix.

edit: I hope I didn't come across as insulting - obviously, I would like the functionality to be there, I just don't think the cost/benefit is going to fall that way for Nintendo. I could be wrong, but I strongly suspect that adding online to Nintendoland isn't going to be a priority for Nintendo.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Oh wow, they really would have to make simple design decisions before considering online play. The horror.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

theflyingorc posted:

4. If house A has no Wiimotes but House B has 2, what do we do when House B wants to play as ghost?

Is the answer C?

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Louisgod posted:

Is the answer C?

I just drew a picture of a fire truck.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

greatn posted:

Oh wow, they really would have to make simple design decisions before considering online play. The horror.

No, they're not simple decisions, and they require significant investment and coordination from multiple departments, and there's a significant concern over player confusion when doing stuff over the internet. But sure, guy who doesn't know anything about the game design process, its probably really easy and they can just throw it together whenever.

edit: And the correct answer was D - WiiU is for babies get a real system you baby. Study harder next time guys.

theflyingorc fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jan 3, 2013

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I'm a software developer. The decision tree you listed is literally something out of a freshman level engineering class.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

greatn posted:

I'm a software developer. The decision tree you listed is literally something out of a freshman level engineering class.

Uh, maybe for a handful of them. Have you worked on non-asynchronous game situations before? Making something functional for usage is an entirely different beast from making it idiot-proof and fun. Either way, with a non-embarrassing development pipeline, you're looking at months of time to delay the thing, constant input switching on the user's part, and, as I said, new art assets.

I didn't say it was impossible, but making gameplay decisions where you coordinate input from different sources isn't as easy as your standard 1-user software development, and I'm still talking about adding a ton of systems that aren't currently supported.

I'll bite on a small one - You're playing the Zelda game that requires the Tablet and Wii Motion+ for all other players. One player has a Motion+ and the other doesn't.

Do you:
Not allow them to match at all?
Allow them to match but only the one player can use the tablet?
Allow them in even if there are no WiiMotion+ currently connected, in the hopes that one of them will connect one after they join?
How do you effectively communicate the situation to both players in a way that they will actually read and understand, and won't simply make them more frustrated than if the feature never existed at all?

Yes, you can come up with answers (it is unlikely they will be CORRECT answers - going either way has positive and negative repercussions). You still have to implement a rather complicated design flow, then send it through QA and back a couple of times. You might have to dig down into the bones of the system and change things that can cascade outward and break other things. My guess would be that it's too large a change and going to inevitably be too confusing to the user for Nintendo to go for it.

theflyingorc fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jan 3, 2013

Zomodok
Dec 9, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So whats your experience in this hypothetical situations so we know going forward if we are going to ignore you or not

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Zomodok posted:

So whats your experience in this hypothetical situations so we know going forward if we are going to ignore you or not

Game Programmer at a smaller company (not indie work-in-your-own-home small or anything), almost all experience in online multiplayer games both turn-based and synchronous (gameplay programming mostly, some frontend and backend work, no netcode). Also served as designer on a handful of major systems.

Been in industry since about 2 months after I joined SA. :)

edit: And again, my point is not that it's impossible, but a lot of the design considerations don't have "correct" answers and that if they're not going to make enough money on it to justify the extra cost, it is really unlikely to happen.

theflyingorc fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jan 3, 2013

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I think all of us can at least agree that implementing online multiplayer into a game like Nintendoland after the fact would 1) lead to a huge patch for the game and 2) would not come until way, way down the line. Nintendo's decision to not include online multiplayer was more than likely dependent on cost, time it would take to implement it relative to having it ready for launch, and encouraging people to play together locally to capture the same 'magic' that Wii Sports had.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Louisgod posted:

I think all of us can at least agree that implementing online multiplayer into a game like Nintendoland after the fact would 1) lead to a huge patch for the game and 2) would not come until way, way down the line. Nintendo's decision to not include online multiplayer was more than likely dependent on cost, time it would take to implement it relative to having it ready for launch, and encouraging people to play together locally to capture the same 'magic' that Wii Sports had.

Completely agree, with the small addendum that the general frustration of multiple types of input from location to location might also weigh down Nintendo's desire to do so. I'd have to think it through from top to bottom to see if that was completely avoidable.

One note on NintendoLand's "magic" - It's no Wii Sports for "Grandma loves it immediately". The rules of all the games are significantly more complex than anything in Wii Sports - all my friends will play it, but Mom and Dad took some convincing and explaining, especially the ghost game. If you "get" games I think it is clearly the superior product, but I'm not sure Nintendo will be able to pull in literally everyone and their mother this time.

theflyingorc fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jan 3, 2013

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

The Mario Chase game is about the easiest thing ever to explain, on the other hand! I think that another thing NintendoLand has going for it is the more cooperative style games. I know that lots of my friends/ family refuse to pick up a controller because they "know they'll get destroyed".

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Chieves posted:

The Mario Chase game is about the easiest thing ever to explain, on the other hand! I think that another thing NintendoLand has going for it is the more cooperative style games. I know that lots of my friends/ family refuse to pick up a controller because they "know they'll get destroyed".

I actually had difficulty explaining Mario Chase to a friend's Mother-in-law. However, I think the real problem wasn't that she wasn't capable of understanding it, but that she was so convinced that she wouldn't be able to understand it that she was certain it would be beyond her, rather than it actually being difficult to understand.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

theflyingorc posted:

I actually had difficulty explaining Mario Chase to a friend's Mother-in-law. However, I think the real problem wasn't that she wasn't capable of understanding it, but that she was so convinced that she wouldn't be able to understand it that she was certain it would be beyond her, rather than it actually being difficult to understand.

This is my dad in a nutshell. My dad who was present for Spacewar!. Hopefully one day I'll be able to play Nintendo Land with more than one player... :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Isn't Mario Chase basically a game of tag? Like, how is that difficult to explain? Mario is "it," and the Toads try to hunt him down because he's "it."

• Locked thread