Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
Nah, it's not worth turning back the clock on that unless you're really getting pushed to the wire by the difficulty. Morale penalties are pretty meaningless after a few battles anyway (as units get cheered up ever time they kill something or watch something die, and the bonus persists after the battle. It's not unusual to have experienced armies with plenty of troops in mid-20's morale even after penalties) and Sorcerors look pretty badass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
yep -1 and -3 are nothing. It's when you start getting -7 that morale penalties might start mattering. You recieve a significant stat penalty at 5 or lower, units will panic at 0, and a stat boost at 15+. It stands out with thieves and brigands who have base 6 morale, but I'm guessing a sorcerer's morale is base 10 like most units.

Apparently, what little skill I thought I had at this game was me being deluded now that enemies have a better tech tree or whatever. I'm getting curbstomped, again, and again, and again, and again, on shard after shard after shard. Every single time, I rush as fast as I can, explore as fast as I can, grind as fast as I can, usually am trapped in a little area surrounded by lethal, unbeatable independents (cyclops, medusas with giant slugs) only for suddenly the AI to barrel through them no problem with a level 18-22~ commander or scout and just kick the poo poo out of my level 12-14 heroes, with his assassin or thug spam (I never have guardsmen because I NEVER HAVE IRON). I'm getting my rear end kicked by a LOCAL LORD for chrissake.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jan 2, 2013

The Quake
Nov 1, 2006

So letting Inquisitors punish sinners in a province is considered evil right? Honestly I'm just going to let them do it because having to deal with any province being invaded at any time is annoying.

Just lost about 2 hours on a shard because I forgot Inquisitors can invade your stronghold and I lost it.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

The Quake posted:

Just lost about 2 hours on a shard because I forgot Inquisitors can invade your stronghold and I lost it.

Always keep a unit in the stronghold. A lot of nasty events can instakill you while your hero is away if you don't do that.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Jesus christ - I was surrounded by provinces filled with orcs, ogres, and trolls and Stenriya just waltzes in and captures them one by one before even turn 60! How the hell is she doing this? The heroes of masters seem to become godly after a certain point in the campaign. She just took out a troll swamp with six trolls! How can I possibly win? :smith: She doesn't even need to rest/restock between provinces and she's a goddamn Commander!

Edit : Holy poo poo - my Warrior just had a 4200 gold repair bill (he's a level 24 in godly gear)

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jan 2, 2013

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
No kidding. I am earlier yet than Wolpertinger, fighting Beleth and the Barbarian dude. They were fighting me, no problem, but he's take a few provinces in a row. Then they would BOTH have guards on them. How does he do that? He managed to have all the provinces built up with guards and buildings on them all in the same turn. I'm very confused as to how this is happening.

One thing that I learned, and it may not be obvious to others because it wasn't to me...if you're going back and forth, I found the best thing to do is get your outpost/fort up and put one single cheap unit in there. The AI will siege you and that will give you 3 turns to get there and take it back. I figured this out after I kept having to siege my own province back when there were no guards...he'd just put one unit there and I would have to wait a few turns to take it back. The flip side is, if you are putting a siege HIM, 9 times out of 10 he'll attack no matter the odds. This means you can usually get the victory that way.

Just something I've noticed.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Jastiger posted:

No kidding. I am earlier yet than Wolpertinger, fighting Beleth and the Barbarian dude. They were fighting me, no problem, but he's take a few provinces in a row. Then they would BOTH have guards on them. How does he do that? He managed to have all the provinces built up with guards and buildings on them all in the same turn. I'm very confused as to how this is happening.

One thing that I learned, and it may not be obvious to others because it wasn't to me...if you're going back and forth, I found the best thing to do is get your outpost/fort up and put one single cheap unit in there. The AI will siege you and that will give you 3 turns to get there and take it back. I figured this out after I kept having to siege my own province back when there were no guards...he'd just put one unit there and I would have to wait a few turns to take it back. The flip side is, if you are putting a siege HIM, 9 times out of 10 he'll attack no matter the odds. This means you can usually get the victory that way.

Just something I've noticed.

It is possible to bribe guards on provinces without an outpost - this causes them to stick around as guards - it still doesn't explain just how many guards they manage to have though, heh.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
How am I so bad at this game?

I can't even beat a single shard past the tutorial. I grab an archer hero, go for swordsmen/xbows or swordsmen/archers supported with a healer and I get my hero up to level 11 or so poking around the nearby territories.. only to have the AI's level 15 warrior hero march in with an unstoppable army and devour me. Are there any early game tips? Should I be expanding a lot? Should I be aggressively seeking out the enemy and denying them income? Should I be exping my hero more by exploring my territories?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

nucleicmaxid posted:

How am I so bad at this game?

I can't even beat a single shard past the tutorial. I grab an archer hero, go for swordsmen/xbows or swordsmen/archers supported with a healer and I get my hero up to level 11 or so poking around the nearby territories.. only to have the AI's level 15 warrior hero march in with an unstoppable army and devour me. Are there any early game tips? Should I be expanding a lot? Should I be aggressively seeking out the enemy and denying them income? Should I be exping my hero more by exploring my territories?

If you're playing the campaign (on Beginner), pick a Warrior. The other classes are a lot more reliant on the existence of the other Tiers, with the Mage being poo poo without his high-level magic and the Commander being poo poo without his high-level troops and the Scout being squishy and only killing one enemy per turn. The Warrior though? The Warrior needs nothing. You just waddle him into the throng of the enemies and let them break against him.

The build order should be Library then the School of Whatever Gives You Magic Arrow (stop your Warrior's exploration, give him the arrows, send him to conquer something easy and profitable next door). Then, while your Warrior is taking the provinces around the stronghold, you should build the hunters building (buying the prereq first. I think it's 'Sawmill' or 'Carpenter's Shop' or something like that), Forge, the Swordsmen or Pikemen building, the Altar and the Healers' building. Then just keep taking provinces in the next concentric circle and building mills/sawmills/mines there.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jan 2, 2013

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I recommend getting Haste for your warrior at the same time you get plate, otherwise you'll have a hard time with multiple mages even when no other low level unit can touch you

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
For when you do use a scout, make sure to always always always be an Archer - an archer with a decent bow/arrow using doubleshot is the only way to take down an enemy badass like a high level warrior without having a warrior at an even higher level than him. They're pretty much the ultimate single unit assassins - the problem is they can only doubleshot 2-4 times per battle tops until level 20, when it's only limited by your ammo - even then, you can only doubleshot once per round, REALLY nasty enemies with like 80+ hp require 2 or more doubleshots, and you can only ever kill one enemy per round maximum. An archer can kill a single dragon way earlier than a warrior, but a truly geared up high level warrior will eventually be able to kill multiple dragons at once while an archer never would be able to.

I eventually, finally won that shard, because Stenriya had cornered me in, and looked like she was getting ready to declare war and crush me, when conveniently L'Anshar rushed in and stabbed her in the back. Cue stalemate between the two of them for 300+ turns while Stenriya forgot about me. I was surrounded, so L'Anshar couldn't get me (the local lord was killed in the crossfire between stenryia and l'anshar) I did, however, have enough provinces to level up a warrior who became a Dark Knight to 30, and getting a Scout to 25ish. When the warrior hit 30, he donned his legendary cuirass of poison flesh (anyone who melees him gets poisoned, like a slug), his agility (no counterattacks) sword, and his pile of ridiculously good buffs with level 3 concentration to make them last longer, including the tier 4 spell Invincibility I found in a cave somewhere, and I declared war and proceeded to mow through about 15+ provinces to reach Stenriya's demesne, repaired up, attacked her, soloed TEN stone golems at once (my weapons and armor broke and I ended up punching them to death naked), sieged her castle (naked) and killed all 6(!) of her heroes that rushed back to kill me (naked) including the level 27 commander. Level 30 Death Knights are terrifying - you don't need armor or weapons when you have Flame Blade, Invincibility, Stoneskin, Magic Armor, Word of Life, Haste, and Magic Weapon stacked on you, when you naturally regenerate health, and when you gain 6 hp every time you kill something! His repair bill was around 5000+ by the end, though. Heh.

Stenriya is a huge bitch, though, and I'm seriously tempted to wipe her off the map and invade her world even though she's not evil as far as I can tell (neutral? maybe like unscrulpulous?). She backstabs and extorts me every single game - she's the least trustworthy AI as far as I can tell. Hell, I left Beleth and L'Anshar alive, but Stenriya is just obnoxious.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jan 2, 2013

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I was browsing around earlier and I came across this neat military quarter build tree. Unfortunately, the translation left something to be desired: it's literally a one-page diagram with 18 pages of endnotes.

Since I really wanted something useful, I whipped up a knockoff with pretty pictures and labels I could understand. If any of you folks think you'd have a use for something like that, you can find it here

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010
Agreed she's obnoxious. In my game, she declared war about two turns after making contact, giving me some fluff about running out of patience. After she lost a few provinces, she sued for peace, which I foolishly accepted. Cut to turn 120 where I've been BSing around with my first warrior, who is now a lvl 30 dark knight, and my other hero is a mostly ignored lvl 6 scout.

Warrior has been charging around the map, and now its time to take her stronghold. Which has some hydra/manticore/spider/other stuff guard. Which webs me. While manticores stack 6 damage poisons on me.

gently caress.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Big Sean posted:

Agreed she's obnoxious. In my game, she declared war about two turns after making contact, giving me some fluff about running out of patience. After she lost a few provinces, she sued for peace, which I foolishly accepted. Cut to turn 120 where I've been BSing around with my first warrior, who is now a lvl 30 dark knight, and my other hero is a mostly ignored lvl 6 scout.

Warrior has been charging around the map, and now its time to take her stronghold. Which has some hydra/manticore/spider/other stuff guard. Which webs me. While manticores stack 6 damage poisons on me.

gently caress.

Any province guard force that includes two or more spiders can never be taken by a solo hero (even one that's level 30 and stacked to the gills with legendary artifacts), since the spiders will chain-web your hero while the other guards tear him apart without even the risk of being counter-attacked.

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Jan 2, 2013

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Doctor Schnabel posted:

I was browsing around earlier and I came across this neat military quarter build tree. Unfortunately, the translation left something to be desired: it's literally a one-page diagram with 18 pages of endnotes.

Since I really wanted something useful, I whipped up a knockoff with pretty pictures and labels I could understand. If any of you folks think you'd have a use for something like that, you can find it here

Awesome, thanks for doing this

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Big Sean posted:

gently caress.

How the hell did you get level 30 in 120 turns - it took me 300! Then again, I was cramped in a little corner and had to explore until I found stuff to kill.

And wow - that's a nice chart. Helps you appreciate the complexity of the tech tree.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Jan 2, 2013

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Finally got into Tier 2 units. Replacing Healers with Monks is a no-brainer thanks to their ranged heals and bonus magic attack, but for you Commander-users out there: do you prefer stacking the Tier 1 rank with Swordsmen/Pikemen as meatshields or Crossbowmen/Bowmen for more ranged firepower? I can see the latter being more useful later in the game since the Commander's ranged skills scale better with more Crossbowmen shots while T2 Guardsmen can go toe-to-toe with big attackers, but I can see a melee-oriented Commander doing well with a Swordsmen line and Ballistae picking at vital targets.

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010

Wolpertinger posted:

How the hell did you get level 30 in 120 turns - it took me 300! Then again, I was cramped in a little corner and had to explore until I found stuff to kill.

And wow - that's a nice chart. Helps you appreciate the complexity of the tech tree.

Lots of + EXP from wisdom and equipment, and f10ing my way through a lot of merc / men of war enemy guards.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Hahaha, I just hatched my first phoenix egg - being able to find one (in this case, a travelling merchant for 1500 gold), and hatch one at a monstrologist's guild is pretty much an 'I win' - the one problem is the 400 gold/turn upkeep. Good thing he was attached to my commander with -60% upkeep costs (extra 10% from amulet). Once I got him I pretty much just took out both masters in under five minutes - almost every single guard just fled instead of fought, and autobattle won vs all that didn't, and heroes, and the 8 stone golem guard on Oinor's castle.

Of course, immediately after I win, L'Anshar invades my homeworld (since I said 'no' to the 'exterminate all life' ritual). I hate defending - hard work and no reward.

Edit : Huh - Vianta hates L'Anshar so much that she's sending me hundreds of gold occasionally and keeps filling my garrison with free fairies. Nice.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jan 2, 2013

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Finally beat the game where they had a billion guards on every province. I wonder how he keeps getting the Thug guard. That one is a bitch with the bowmen on hills and the Thugs out front. Stupid AI using good army comp.

As far as heroes, how many heroes does everyone generally get? I usually go for three, Scout, Mage, then Warrior but usually only after I get some epic items to equip him with. The AI HAS to be doing something fishy to get 6 heroes. He had two scouts, a mage, a commander, and a warrior (Slayer) with fully stocked armies and would repeatedly throw himself into my provinces. There is no way he can pay for that upkeep AND have most of his own provinces 100% explored, AND have all the T2 guards he does AND have all the money to replish his army after a guard takes out one or two units.

I really wish I could see how they do it like you could in Age of Empires/Starcraft/Civ after a game is over and watch how they build.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Jastiger posted:

Finally beat the game where they had a billion guards on every province. I wonder how he keeps getting the Thug guard. That one is a bitch with the bowmen on hills and the Thugs out front. Stupid AI using good army comp.

As far as heroes, how many heroes does everyone generally get? I usually go for three, Scout, Mage, then Warrior but usually only after I get some epic items to equip him with. The AI HAS to be doing something fishy to get 6 heroes. He had two scouts, a mage, a commander, and a warrior (Slayer) with fully stocked armies and would repeatedly throw himself into my provinces. There is no way he can pay for that upkeep AND have most of his own provinces 100% explored, AND have all the T2 guards he does AND have all the money to replish his army after a guard takes out one or two units.

I really wish I could see how they do it like you could in Age of Empires/Starcraft/Civ after a game is over and watch how they build.

It's the escalating difficulty that kinda puts me off the game, really. You can't really sit tight, build up your provinces, and explore/dungeon-dive each of them to 100% because it doesn't pay as well as conquering large swathes of land. You can't always count on finding natural chokepoints to pin enemies down either, since they eventually get powerful enough to take down the harder provincial guards and peaks are rare.

Not everyone's cup of tea of course, but I like the development aspect of the game compared to aggressive play and killing enemy lords/Masters since the tech tree is pretty deep and the potential upgrades your units can get are pretty cool.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 2, 2013

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

Jastiger posted:

Depends on the timeframe really. How long are you taking to engage the AI? I mean, most likely yeah the computer is getting free money from somewhere but I get best results against the computer when I find and engage it quick, allowing my fine, quick-firing human synapses to shine in tactical combat. Waiting a hundred turns or so before throwing the first punch means it's had that much time to develop its empire with all the perfect, cold logic of a machine.

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

Jastiger posted:

One on tiny shards, three on large, two on small or medium.

I'll sometimes hire more, but usually it's not wise to split up the xp too much, especially if it means taking away from your army/spell progression. I've played games where the AI has had four heroes to my one (as a consequence of a swamp start), and I've just barreled through them to lock them down in their home province. Of course, if you have enough gold for more heroes and nothing to spend that delicious gold on, hire some more dudes, sure.

However, if you're not hiring either a scout or a warrior first (or perhaps a wizard if you're evil as balls and have plenty of mana around, though that's rare) and beelining straight towards the other side of the map, relentlessly hunting your enemies as you go, you deserve to lose. If you can't punch through a province, you should grind your hero only until you can break through, or alternatively switch up your army composition to make victory more likely. Hiring a bunch of one-move melee units on a hilly area against elves is obviously going to make you lose.

I agree with Toaster here to some extent - the game has so much exploration and building to do, it seems like a shame that it's relegated to a desperate struggle for xp and gold as opposed to a leisurely stroll through troll-infested caves. It makes the strategy more interesting, but I feel it makes the game lack thematically.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

occipitallobe posted:

I agree with Toaster here to some extent - the game has so much exploration and building to do, it seems like a shame that it's relegated to a desperate struggle for xp and gold as opposed to a leisurely stroll through troll-infested caves. It makes the strategy more interesting, but I feel it makes the game lack thematically.
There's no shame in playing on beginner. I do it, and I'm a naked bronze statue on the internet. Or...or are you saying that beginner gets tough as balls later as well? :ohdear:

Also, speaking of building, I've heard a few folks here complaining about the 1x/turn restriction on provincial development. Now, while I understand that there are balance reasons for this, I happen to chafe under those limits as well, so I cooked up a solution.

There are two flavors to choose from: Regular slowly ramps things up, giving you two extra construction and recruitment opportunities when you build a fort, two more when you build a citadel, and another two when you build a castle. Since the Military Academy and the Master Builder Guild give an extra recruitment and construction opportunity, respectively, the Regular option should leave you with a total of 8 each per turn in the endgame.

If, like me and China, you're crazy about infrastructure projects, you can opt for Unlimited, which just gives you 99 each the second you build a workshop, for an effectively limitless 100 construction/recruitment opportunities per turn.

You can find the zip here. Extract the inner_build.var from either Regular or Unlimited into the game's /var/ subdirectory, but make sure you backup your original. I did only the quickest of tests; it should work, but I have no idea what the brutal Russian AI will make of this brave new world.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Can anyone explain how guards work exactly? When you're buying/looking at the description, all the info I can seem to get is that some have higher initative than others. Is there any way to get a more detailed breakdown of the units each guard sticks in you're province, or at least a better idea of how good they are compared to the rest?

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Doctor Schnabel posted:

There's no shame in playing on beginner. I do it, and I'm a naked bronze statue on the internet. Or...or are you saying that beginner gets tough as balls later as well? :ohdear:

Also, speaking of building, I've heard a few folks here complaining about the 1x/turn restriction on provincial development. Now, while I understand that there are balance reasons for this, I happen to chafe under those limits as well, so I cooked up a solution.

There are two flavors to choose from: Regular slowly ramps things up, giving you two extra construction and recruitment opportunities when you build a fort, two more when you build a citadel, and another two when you build a castle. Since the Military Academy and the Master Builder Guild give an extra recruitment and construction opportunity, respectively, the Regular option should leave you with a total of 8 each per turn in the endgame.

If, like me and China, you're crazy about infrastructure projects, you can opt for Unlimited, which just gives you 99 each the second you build a workshop, for an effectively limitless 100 construction/recruitment opportunities per turn.

You can find the zip here. Extract the inner_build.var from either Regular or Unlimited into the game's /var/ subdirectory, but make sure you backup your original. I did only the quickest of tests; it should work, but I have no idea what the brutal Russian AI will make of this brave new world.

There are seriously terrifying balance issues with this, dude. The AI already has enough guards without being able to re-guard every province simultaneously - you won't even be able to attack from two directions at once any more. Plus, being able to hop up multiple steps on the tech tree, and build a building that it unlocked, all on the same turn... It's a big part of the game's strategy. It feels like letting you research all of the available techs simultaneously in civilization, or something..

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Wolpertinger posted:

It feels like letting you research all of the available techs simultaneously in civilization, or something..
Does it really play out that way, though? Granted, I've yet to actually finish a shard with unlimited building modded in, but in my current map I still find myself fairly constrained. I mean, I do still need the money to actually build this stuff.

I am a little skittish about encountering the AI, though. I hope I haven't created a monster for myself

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I managed to find a Hand Balista and Griphon Arrows at the same time, and I don't have a scout. :argh: I've started thinking about firing my warrior to get one, since this is literally the best ranged setup I've seen yet.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
So while I obviously like digging under the hood with this game, I'm not very far along in the campaign yet. I already see that monks and guardsmen (and ballistae I guess?) are keepers, but what are everyone's thoughts on the higher tiers? What would an effective endgame army look like if I'm a good guy?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Ugh that Lashuun guy invaded me. Even though I can see the whole map he still out expands me and has 3 heroes to my two! How do you beat the computer like this? Should I build up my own lands or rush to expand first? Money is an issue of course, but jeez, how does he expand so fast with such huge armies?!

That makes Three Return to the Astrals.. He'll just take one province and put like 10 Centaurs on it on like turn 3 and it's over for me. Why does his thing say Expert anyways. I'm playing on Noob or whatever.

Jastiger fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jan 3, 2013

The Quake
Nov 1, 2006

This is what happens when you have a lone level 8 warrior vs 15 or so high level Stone Gargoyles. I was on the last gargoyle, my armor was broken, my weapon was broken, and I had just recovered from 1000 stacks of blunt weapon.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Doctor Schnabel posted:

So while I obviously like digging under the hood with this game, I'm not very far along in the campaign yet. I already see that monks and guardsmen (and ballistae I guess?) are keepers, but what are everyone's thoughts on the higher tiers? What would an effective endgame army look like if I'm a good guy?

There's three basic tier 4 units - Paladins (good) War elephants (neutral) and Warlocks (evil). There's more from other methods (phoenixes, manticores, dragons, hydras, devils, vampires) but tier 4 monster eggs are incredibly rare. So your ultimate unit would be a paladin - extremely resilient cavalry with smite evil and powerful healing. In tier 3, there's Knights (good aligned tanky cavalry) and Clerics, who are essentially super-Monks that hit harder, heal harder, have bigger range and better heals, as well as the ability to cast dispel, and when leveled up, Exorcism. Plus, at tier 3 you get the Resurrection spell in sacred magic, and Reincarnation in tier 4, which resurrects and prevents dying respectively, to keep your tough units going longer even if you can't heal them. In the mean time, evil never gets a healer, as far as I know - ever. Only ones I know of is the vampirism buff to make one unit leech life, and life drain which heals the caster for damage done. Sacred also gets mass heals, great buffs, White Magic which heals all your units and hurts all of his.

I've never actually seen a paladin or war elephant or warlock in any real combat situation as anything other than a guard, so I don't know how badass they are but I can only guess considering how amazing other T4 units have been - especially if leveled up. I've never seen a computer beat a paladin - ever. The one time I fought one I hit autoattack (I wasn't looking, it was a inquisition battle who are usually pushovers) - curbstomped my level 18 hero and his whole army essentially alone.

I ended up skimming through the campaign dialogue var - there's a surprising numbers of different ways to win, including becoming Beleth's bitch and giving him everything, culminating in letting him absorb your world so you can become his lieutenant, which is the most completely pathetic way I can imagine winning. You can also buddy up with L'Anshar, and annihilate all life in the universe so Chaos has nothing to work with on the now unified dead husk of the world.

There's also a surprising number of secrets in the game and different routes you can take with the various characters by acting in certain ways at certain times - getting all of the Keys of Knowledge for a win is pretty tricky, for one. Or finding out your original identity.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jan 3, 2013

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I am in the IRC, Wolpertinger. Acknowledge meeeee.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
I'm here, but now you aren't any more.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
There's an IRC?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
We're in #eador on irc.synirc.org. We started it because someone on the MotBW beta forums asked for one, though. So there might be non-goons. Eventually. Maybe.

Autarkeia
May 24, 2005
He's whittlin' on a piece of wood. I've got a feeling when he stops whittlin'... Somethin's gonna happen.
Wow, this game is what I've been waiting on for a number of years. Wasted a lot of $$ trying out sub-par products along the way. What everyone has said so far is true, specially how difficult your first few tries might be even on the easiest difficulty. I actually cackled with glee my first turn of the campaign, after the tutorial, when I took my scout and starting army up against 2 Barbs and a Shaman and splatted spectacularly. Since then I have learned quit a bit and was whooping rear end on the first master you contend with for shards. Since that was to easy I figured I am ready to graduate the the middle levels and started over at Expert. Uhm, that didn't go so well. I was beat quickly and resoundingly of the first shard by local lords. Your strategy has to change when you move up the difficulty. I dialed it back to Competent level and am enjoying some very fun tense games. I am holding my own but find myself really putting much more thought into deciding which responses to choose on the events which pop up. How badly do I need gold? Is the risk vs. the reward potentially worth it? How happy is my population and can I abuse them a bit so I can immediately field another army if I was to power through a heavily guarded province?

I find myself choosing the Scout as my favorite hero to start with. I enjoy the mobility too much. Being able to quickly respond across the main map or why yes I can move that horseman through the swamps and over the hills in 1 turn to kill your sorcerer is my current 1 dimensional play style. I really need to branch out and try other ways of playing, build up the diplomacy or try for a straight up shooty Scout. Early on I found myself going heavy Lawful on the moral choices. I wanted to keep a happy countryside so I wasn't worried about rebellions and I liked having a heavy shield wall in front of me to shoot safely from behind. Now that I have more building options which help raise mood I've been branching out in choices I make or troops I employ. I've been trying some tier 1 strategies of Pikes in front, Barbs back one and on the flanks and a shaman to help focus down any particularly tough critter. As a scout I can plunk away to take out enemy ranged units to start with, Pike to absorb the initial brunt and do decent counter damage, Barbs to quick strike in for higher damage then shaman or Scout to either weaken of finish enemy units. I've had 4-5 critters just moving back and forth in front of my pike wall not attacking because they would die to first strike before dealing any damage allowing me to take them out at leisure, read get in a few cure spells before ending combat.

A personal strategy I've started employee is building to potential 2nd tier mercenary hires quickly. You get here faster and cheaper than building for your regular tier 2 troop(s) and if you are lucky you could pick up a guardsman several turns sooner than you would normally be able to buy one. Last shard I fought for was a tiny swamp map where I got behind early, I had decent gold production but wasted on a few resurrects with difficulty expanding to the 3rd land circle. The enemy was fielding province guards I couldn't beat till I got lucky with the RNG and was offered up a horse archer and sorcerer. Lucky drops from a few encounters gave me the spells web and magic weapon then a Nomad bow. With those not only could I take on the inquisition and drop their tier 3 Executioner with no damage to myself but I could beat that freaking warrior which kept driving into my lands till he ran out of troops to back him. Although where the commander (no troops) I had trapped on a single proving surrounded by my lands got 4 harpies from all of a sudden, I don't know. I had been leaving him there because I didn't want to waste the gold to replace my armies fighting through the province guard to get to him. But instead of an almost standstill which I felt I was steadily losing those two units the bow and those spells made me indomitable for transitioning from the early to mid-game on that map. I very quickly killed his heroes, drove to his castle and won.

I have heavy just one more turn -itis for this game, several nights of about 4 hours sleep.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

The Quake posted:

This is what happens when you have a lone level 8 warrior vs 15 or so high level Stone Gargoyles. I was on the last gargoyle, my armor was broken, my weapon was broken, and I had just recovered from 1000 stacks of blunt weapon.

It's annoying but the alternative is battles that literally last forever because both sides have too much regen/armor to kill each other

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Autarkeia posted:

Although where the commander (no troops) I had trapped on a single proving surrounded by my lands got 4 harpies from all of a sudden, I don't know.

If there was a harpy nest in the province, he could have recruited them.

EDIT: Man, beginner may be too easy, but it's hilarious to see enemies stuck in their swampy demesne for 50 turns because they're surrounded with uber-indeps. How does it feel to be on the receiving end of that, eh? :smug:

my dad fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jan 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autarkeia
May 24, 2005
He's whittlin' on a piece of wood. I've got a feeling when he stops whittlin'... Somethin's gonna happen.

my dad posted:

If there was a harpy nest in the province, he could have recruited them.

EDIT: Man, beginner may be too easy, but it's hilarious to see enemies stuck in their swampy demesne for 50 turns because they're surrounded with uber-indeps. How does it feel to be on the receiving end of that, eh? :smug:

Yep, I made the mistake of thinking he was neutralized and I didn't have to bother fighting through the province guard. I haven't tried negotiating much with encounters in the province encounters usually kill. I wonder if that is a viable means to getting some tougher troops while your still getting your main castle built up...

• Locked thread