Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I really loved this until I saw that little t-rex being all :v: in the corner, now it's just funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Jedit posted:

Exactly. I used to have a couple of movie posters on my wall, but I didn't buy them for the art. I bought them because they reminded me of the movie and of cinemas. Fake posters don't, can't do that because they lack all resonance. You don't buy them because you love cinema, you just want something that looks cool. It's style over substance and I have no patience for it, sorry.

You didn't buy them for the art? So what, you're really into substance at the expense of style? :v:

(e: the following isn't actually directed at you specifically, Jedit. just to clear that up)

I understand people's frustration with Mondo, etc... as the majority of their stuff is truly awful. But there also seems to be a lot of "ugh NERDS, I'm not one of those nerds" which is really just snobbery towards people whose taste apparently isn't as refined as your own.

No, fake posters aren't part of a film's promotional history (unless you count posters made for recent screenings), they're essentially fan art. But who cares? If it's done well, it can still be a nice art piece. And as someone else asked, what if a film you love only has hideous posters?

I went to modest lengths to get the Mondo map poster of The Creature from the Black Lagoon. Why? Because I like cartography and I thought it was neat. I'd never pay the ridiculous after market price, but $50 for a lovely print on high quality stock seemed fair.

The idea that fan posters are presumptious on the artist's part is interesting, but perhaps no more so than a cover of a song is. Either way, I think the legacy of Jurassic Park or 2001 can survive a couple of crappy poster knock offs.

By all means, criticise the aesthetics, but raging against the merits is tiring. People know they're not real. Also: Hipsters!, Nerds!, etc... Who cares?

Basically I think - if it works, it works :)

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jan 4, 2013

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Wendell posted:

I really loved this until I saw that little t-rex being all :v: in the corner, now it's just funny.

I didn't see that either. Terrible.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
If they'd just left the gates and T-Rex out it'd be a nice representation from a very sweet moment in the film. A shame.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I don't hate the concept of doing these posters (and like a few of them), but the vast majority of them are just completely awful. Completely, completely awful.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

It doesnt burn my soul that fan posters exist. That said, this thread seems to be getting to the point where most of the traffic consists of mondo posters with the associated coos of pleasure and grunts of disgust. Might as well finish it off with deviantart and mspaints.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Geekboy posted:

I don't hate the concept of doing these posters (and like a few of them), but the vast majority of them are just completely awful. Completely, completely awful.

I think we can all agree on that.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
Yeah, a lot of them are bad but they get get snapped up by collectors anyway. It doesn't have to be good as long as it has a big name attached to it.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

See, I loving hate this one simply because the text is borderline illegible. "Can I get a ticket for Twassic Pank please?" It's like that Mondo Lord of the Rings poster from earlier in the thread.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

Vagabundo posted:

See, I loving hate this one simply because the text is borderline illegible. "Can I get a ticket for Twassic Pank please?" It's like that Mondo Lord of the Rings poster from earlier in the thread.

Same artist, Aaron Horkey

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Vagabundo posted:

Didn't realise there was another Parker film coming out.

I have no idea why they didn't just directly adapt the awesome Parker comics.

Period pieces must do poo poo enough not to think of bothering anymore.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Wait, are you telling me Payback was based on a comic?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Kingtheninja posted:

Wait, are you telling me Payback was based on a comic?

Darwyn Cooke adapted a bunch of Richard Stark novels - The Hunter, The Outfit and The Score - into graphic novels. That's what Teenage Fansub was referring to.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Mondo puts out some good poo poo. I have their Mummy poster from October, and it's loving beautiful.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

I have no idea why they didn't just directly adapt the awesome Parker comics.

Period pieces must do poo poo enough not to think of bothering anymore.

Hmm, looks familiar. :nws: http://i.imgur.com/QNY2d.jpg :nws: (Marv and Goldie from Sin City)

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

scary ghost dog posted:

Hmm, looks familiar. :nws: http://i.imgur.com/QNY2d.jpg :nws: (Marv and Goldie from Sin City)

Show it to penismightier in General Chat, maybe he'll put it on his website.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Cacator posted:

So is it an extension of the "last" exorcism in the previous film or is it an all new exorcism, because there surely can't be TWO last exorcisms!
It's clearly Part II of the same exorcism, somehow...?

As for Jurassic Park: the important thing about the original poser, which none of those Mondos capture in the slightest, is that the park itself is presented as the antagonist. This could easily be a diegetic advertisement for the park, approved by John Hammond. The t-rex isn't depicted as a dangerous killer, but a dead object - a skeleton backit by a massive yellow sun. The rex's pose is neutral and nonthreatening. It's thoroughly abstracted from the actual, fleshy creature. (By contrast, the film revels in blood, poo poo and snot when the park breaks down, and the characters go 'behind the scenes'.)

The backlighting is the crucial part: the sun is beaming life into the skeleton. Its eye is aglow, like the rest of it. Hammond is clearly equating himself to God, and the shadow-puppet effect is allusive to theatre and cinema - which the film is absolutely 'about' in its rumination on special effects showmanship. (The key 'flea circus' scene was written specifically for the film). The title, with its 'primitive' font (actually designed in 1920s Germany), is superimposed over the rex, like a barrier. It resembles a censorship bar, and no effort has been made to disguise the trademark symbol. It's colonialism imagery, in keeping with how the film opens with dominican amber miners visited by a dude in what's uncomfortably close to a plantation suit. Note how the dark jungle at the bottom of the logo is totally dwarfed. Note also the extremely prominent red border, encompasing the logo and separating the darkened exterior (the audience) from the spectacle.

Everything in the image evokes the dominance of the park's creators, their power to create and control. The dinosaur is relatively unimportant, on purpose.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jan 4, 2013

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It's also a near-perfect brand logo, which plays into the whole idea of the park being a consumer attraction. It's something they can easily slap it on a plastic lunchbox and sell it. (Pounds table) You're selling it.

Honestly that period in time was some kind of peak for graphic design in movie poster art- they achieved this nice balance of minimalist yet detailed enough to evoke something.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I remembered loving that logo so much when I was young, that I recreated it in MS-Paint pixel by pixel. At the time, I didn't even know how to paste the original in there and trace over, I just started blocking out the simple shapes first, and then based the Rex dimensions off of where each bit of it lined up with one of the letters, or edge of the border, or whatever. It turned out almost picture perfect too, but it took me ages to create it. My teacher in art class gave me an A in the class right then because to her I was also performing some sort of computer-art voodoo magic.

This was also the time she told me to save it as a GIF image, because GIF images were short for "gift", and I could gift the image to her.

:ughh:

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
You guys should watch this. The man who designed the Jurassic Park logo first used for the book cover explains the process behind its creation.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

This was also the time she told me to save it as a GIF image, because GIF images were short for "gift", and I could gift the image to her.

That's adorable, you grinch.

Renoistic posted:

You guys should watch this. The man who designed the Jurassic Park logo first used for the book cover explains the process behind its creation.

Speaking of adorable :3:

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Finally caught up with this thread, and saw a lot of good and bad posters on the way. Something I do miss from the early pages is the posts where it shows the teaser poster for a movie (Safe for example) that keeps showing more and more revised versions, slowly losing the girl the title is talking about and just becoming a straight action movie poster.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Renoistic posted:

I love Chip Kidd. The video of him talking with Neil Gaiman about the 20th anniversary of Sandman is one of the best sit down interviews I've seen.

WeX Majors
Apr 16, 2006
Joined for the archives
Interestingly enough, The Mondo staff apparently picked their favorite posters from 2012, and they're perfect examples of what you guys have been talking about for the last few pages. Some of them are quite good, most are just a nice painting of a bad pop culture reference.

http://blog.mondotees.com/2012/12/31/mitch-putnams-top-10-posters-of-2012/
Mitch here only manages to get one decent poster on his list. The rest is obscure poo poo, either a reference or the movie it's based on myself.

This might be the worst image ever associated with Adventure Time.

http://blog.mondotees.com/2013/01/01/rob-jones-top-10-posters-of-2012/
Rob's list actually manages to show off some of the decent poo poo they did this year. Looper, the Foghorn Leghorn one, The 20,000 leagues poster is pretty drat good. Hell even The Bride poster I kinda dig.

http://blog.mondotees.com/2013/01/02/justin-ishmaels-top-10-posters-of-2012/
Justin's list might be the one most of us will agree with. I know there was a better Black Lagoon poster than the one he picked, but that one certainly isn't bad. He picks the Psycho, Under The Sea and Cabin In The Woods, but most importantly, he showed off a poster I haven't seen yet:

I think I like this one better than the original poster. Maybe. Let's face it, it's kinda hard to make a bad Iron Giant poster. You'd have to put some effort into it.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

WeX Majors posted:

Interestingly enough, The Mondo staff apparently picked their favorite posters from 2012, and they're perfect examples of what you guys have been talking about for the last few pages. Some of them are quite good, most are just a nice painting of a bad pop culture reference.

http://blog.mondotees.com/2012/12/31/mitch-putnams-top-10-posters-of-2012/

Holy poo poo, that Q one is so loving bad. Why would you want anything but the incredible original poster anyway?

WeX Majors
Apr 16, 2006
Joined for the archives
Jesus, that's a perfect example of why some of these are poo poo. I've never heard of Q before, and that Subway poster didn't even let me figure that out. Only now do I get that they were trying to reference The Q Subway line.
So one poster represents a movie with a dude spraying graffiti over a bunch of subway sines.
The other:

Hmmm...which is better...

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!
That Dune one is loving awesome. I don't know much about Dune but the poster makes me assume the story takes place in some sort of surreal techno-religious society.

"I have no idea what any of this means, but we gotta see this!"

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Wendell posted:

Holy poo poo, that Q one is so loving bad. Why would you want anything but the incredible original poster anyway?

What does this have to do with Star Trek?

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The best part is that I guarantee you that most of the people buying these pandering, lazy nerdbait posters are also the exact same people who never shut up about how floating head DVD covers are lazy and pandering. But it panders to a different demographic so that makes it bad :tvtropes:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Farbtoner posted:

The best part is that I guarantee you that most of the people buying these pandering, lazy nerdbait posters are also the exact same people who never shut up about how floating head DVD covers are lazy and pandering. But it panders to a different demographic so that makes it bad :tvtropes:

All dvd covers should be works of art like the Clifford poster.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Rirse posted:

Finally caught up with this thread, and saw a lot of good and bad posters on the way. Something I do miss from the early pages is the posts where it shows the teaser poster for a movie (Safe for example) that keeps showing more and more revised versions, slowly losing the girl the title is talking about and just becoming a straight action movie poster.

D'awww someone likes a post of mine :3:

I don't know, those are super fun but there just aren't that many movies that come out with a cavalcade of posters and teaser posters that so perfectly illustrate the thought that went into trying to appeal to as many people as possible, step by step.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Farbtoner posted:

All posters are pandering. Some are pandering to get your rear end in a seat to see the movie, while others are pandering to get you to plunk down the cash to buy it and hang it on your wall.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Speaking of bad alternative posters:

Which fails to notice that the original poster already did this concept, and did it way better and more subtle (with an hourglass).

Also, here's David Lynch's EraserElf:

gently caress it, here's the site.

http://www.alternativemovieposters.com/

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jan 4, 2013

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

WeX Majors posted:

http://blog.mondotees.com/2013/01/01/rob-jones-top-10-posters-of-2012/
Rob's list actually manages to show off some of the decent poo poo they did this year. Looper, the Foghorn Leghorn one, The 20,000 leagues poster is pretty drat good. Hell even The Bride poster I kinda dig.
Fan-made posters aren't my thing, but I kind of like the King Kong one.

But the worst part of that page is this line from his gushing about the They Live poster:

quote:

If you don’t like the work of WBYK, then to paraphrase from Lux Interior, “you’re a turd.”

What a swell guy.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Ugh now you've done it. I mean gently caress.

"Come at me bro!"

I kinda like this one in a really dumb way.

e: oh wait i found the worst one

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Yodzilla posted:

Ugh now you've done it. I mean gently caress.

It's a wonderful cavalcade of poo poo, isn't it.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I looked through that site and here's what I found:

This one is pretty loving awesome. :911::hf::black101:

Indy looks pretty stoned.

I think I found the most low effort Jurassic Park fan poster:

Kaiju Cage Match fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jan 5, 2013

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I looked through that site and here's what I found:

This one is pretty loving awesome. :911::hf::black101:

Well doesn't that cut the entire film into a nice visual metaphor. I like.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Yodzilla posted:

e: oh wait i found the worst one

What on earth is this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Poster for Green Lantern, not that any normal person or even a casual nerd who saw that garbage movie would have any idea what it's supposed to be.