Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

For all the faults that this one has, I am really loving it:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Farbtoner posted:

The best part is that I guarantee you that most of the people buying these pandering, lazy nerdbait posters are also the exact same people who never shut up about how floating head DVD covers are lazy and pandering. But it panders to a different demographic so that makes it bad :tvtropes:

Wait, what demo are floating heads for? Turk and JD?

Yodzilla posted:

Poster for Green Lantern, not that any normal person or even a casual nerd who saw that garbage movie would have any idea what it's supposed to be.

Well it is literally a green lantern, so I think some people can work it out.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jan 5, 2013

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Terminal Entropy posted:

For all the faults that this one has, I am really loving it:

The idea of this one is better than it's execution, but it's not awful.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I actually like this one a bit:

It captures the feel of the film, even if it's a little "busy", and the artwork is really well done.

However, this one is lame and lazy, and they got the Warriors gang color wrong:

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I think I found the most low effort Jurassic Park fan poster:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AERwgNvgMmc

Tewratomeh posted:

It captures the feel of the film, even if it's a little "busy", and the artwork is really well done.
Those posters are cool until you've seen like 50 of them and realize it's the same thing every time. Like generally a movie's poster should suit that movie... a bunch of floating heads/figures suits every movie equally well. It's cool if you're a huge fan of the movie and want to see all the characters crammed into one poster, sometimes multiple times.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I love Chip Kidd. The video of him talking with Neil Gaiman about the 20th anniversary of Sandman is one of the best sit down interviews I've seen.
Here it is btw for anyone curious https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ei9OQkQ2BU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Tewratomeh posted:

Is this actual "artwork" or are those just stills from the film with some photoshop filters thrown on them?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Yodzilla posted:

Poster for Green Lantern, not that any normal person or even a casual nerd who saw that garbage movie would have any idea what it's supposed to be.

Weirdly that does sum up Green Lantern: stupid bullshit that assumes you are already way into Green Lantern and makes no accommodation for anyone who doesn't know and doesn't care by default.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

TheJoker138 posted:

Is this actual "artwork" or are those just stills from the film with some photoshop filters thrown on them?

And why does Swan look ancient?

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

casa de mi padre posted:

Those posters are cool until you've seen like 50 of them and realize it's the same thing every time. Like generally a movie's poster should suit that movie... a bunch of floating heads/figures suits every movie equally well. It's cool if you're a huge fan of the movie and want to see all the characters crammed into one poster, sometimes multiple times.

And if, in the case of Swan, you want to see them with 50 years tacked on.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
I'm eagerly awaiting the Jurassic Park fan poster that's just a cheap drawing of a dude holding onto his butt.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I demand a Mr. DNA Jurassic Park poster.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Yodzilla posted:

If your average person saw it they'd probably think it was for a Big Bang Theory movie.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Can I get a print?

tmfool
Dec 9, 2003

What the frak?

tmfool fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Oct 3, 2015

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
My only real issue is that do subway maps have the years printed on them? If not it seems like a clumsy way to establish the time period. As it is though that image would've served as a great teaser poster.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It'd be a great teaser for a remake, as it stands yeah it's a bit off to have the year stated. Aside from that I'd love to have a print, although I'd never conflate it with anything other than junk art.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Tewratomeh posted:

Funny you should say that...

The original movie poster is the same "bunch of characters gathered together" concept, but I would say it's way more evocative of the film then that one.

tmfool
Dec 9, 2003

What the frak?

tmfool fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Oct 3, 2015

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Which fails to notice that the original poster already did this concept, and did it way better and more subtle (with an hourglass).

My mind went to the masturbation scene before the whole cutting off his arm thing.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

rodbeard posted:

My mind went to the masturbation scene before the whole cutting off his arm thing.

I was just wondering why they were referencing Manos. Oops.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Challenge:

Does anyone dare to contest the perfection of the Jurrasic Park poster? Is there another that you believe tops it in terms of message and design?

I've tried and nothing comes close (apart from Clifford, obviously).

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

This comes close.

Mister Chief fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jan 5, 2013

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

DrVenkman posted:

My only real issue is that do subway maps have the years printed on them? If not it seems like a clumsy way to establish the time period. As it is though that image would've served as a great teaser poster.

Especially considering the movie follows the subway line like the Odyssey.

Thanks, Joe Bobb Briggs.

edit:

9 minute mark...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9WwDcs3_vk

kiimo fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jan 5, 2013

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Mister Chief posted:

This come close.

It's a good one, but the only message I'm really getting is BATMAN! But maybe that's all you really need to know.

The cut off edges are interesting and I've wondered how it would look not cropped. The answer is "boring". It loses its sense of immediacy.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jan 5, 2013

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Lizard Combatant posted:

Challenge:

Does anyone dare to contest the perfection of the Jurrasic Park poster? Is there another that you believe tops it in terms of message and design?

I've tried and nothing comes close (apart from Clifford, obviously).

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

TheJoker138 posted:

It looks hand-painted to me, but then it could also be traced-over. I don't think they're stills with filters though.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Lizard Combatant posted:

It's a good one, but the only message I'm really getting is BATMAN! But maybe that's all you really need to know.

The cut off edges are interesting and I've wondered how it would look not cropped. The answer is "boring". It loses its sense of immediacy.

Someone mentioned in another thread that the cropped edges resemble how we see the logo on Batman's chest the sides are covered by his cape.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

By the same token, the Ghostbusters 2 poster gets across the message that its fundamentally the same as the first movie, except worst in every way.

To move away from things that are logos, the classic Metropolis poster fits the film perfectly:

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Another classic. I really love that the 'no' symbol is off-centre, a lesser designer would have tried to centre it or rework the ghost.

Interesting that both the examples given are simple logos on black that predate Jurrasic Park. JP really feels like the pinnacle of this style, it just says so drat much about the film.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

I was going to save you all these, but since we're posting horrible fan posters I suppose I have no choice...

Terrible, makes no sense unless you've seen the movie:

Brutally terrible, makes no sense even if you've seen the movie:

Compare those to what I think is a pretty fantastic poster that draws people in:

But I love Logan's Run so perhaps I'm biased.

[edit] Seriously, how intriguing is this art?

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jan 5, 2013

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Yeah pretty much. It's been a while since I've seen Logan's Run and I have no goddamn clue what the first two posters are supposed to be.

Dopefish Lives!
Nov 27, 2004

Swim swim hungry

Yodzilla posted:

Yeah pretty much. It's been a while since I've seen Logan's Run and I have no goddamn clue what the first two posters are supposed to be.

I think the first one's supposed to be about the colour-coded uniforms that the people in the story wear depending on their age, but it's pretty much unreadable. Second one, I have no idea.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

scary ghost dog posted:

I'm eagerly awaiting the Jurassic Park fan poster that's just a cheap drawing of a dude holding onto his butt.

How about a poster that just shows the big pile of Triceratops poo poo. Maybe even have "that's one big pile of poo poo" as a tagline, but that's too much effort and fans should get it anyway.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Mister Chief posted:

This comes close.

'89 Batman = Best Batman

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

This poster (it is two posters) was hanging around my childhood house for years so maybe I'm a little biased, but I think it does an alright job. Draws you in with the camel, directs you to the important info about the film, (stars, title, etc.) and works both as an evocative image, and after you've watched Ishtar, as a pretty good joke.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
I'm guessing your eyes are supposed to go Camel > Rope > figures ^ Logo ^ Warren Beatty's billing. Which I suppose is a clever way to solve the Hoffman / Beatty billing issue by having Beatty's been tied in better with the design but Hoffman's on top.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

WebDog posted:

I'm guessing your eyes are supposed to go Camel > Rope > figures ^ Logo ^ Warren Beatty's billing. Which I suppose is a clever way to solve the Hoffman / Beatty billing issue by having Beatty's been tied in better with the design but Hoffman's on top.

Everything about it also evokes Arabic, which would make Hoffman's name first if read right to left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendell
May 11, 2003

That Ishtar poster is pretty hideous with the camel/men somehow floating above the sand and the half-assed gradient used as a sky. I mean, sure, it reflects the film's quality, but that's not exactly praise-worthy!