Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Frys has ATV3's on sale right now for $79....gotta pickup and 1 is the limit. Good deal if you are near one.

http://www.frys.com/product/7021051;jsessionid=+nLYtzYTtSnrpi8CooRh5w__.node4?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Is there any way to normalize the volume? Watching Drive on Netflix and the dialog is quiet but the engine noises, etc, is deafening. I turned on "sound check" and it didn't do a thing.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

please respond posted:

Is there any way to normalize the volume? Watching Drive on Netflix and the dialog is quiet but the engine noises, etc, is deafening. I turned on "sound check" and it didn't do a thing.

Are you listening to it in stereo or surround? What kind of TV do you have?

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Suqit posted:

Are you listening to it in stereo or surround? What kind of TV do you have?

Just coming out the TV speakers. I don't own a TV it wasn't mine, but its some Sony thing. The sound was loud, startling.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

It's a 5.1 mix playing thru stereo speakers. The dialog should be coming from the center speaker but that's not happening because you don't have one. You can probably tell the atv to play as stereo but I don't have one so can't comment.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Laserface posted:

It's a 5.1 mix playing thru stereo speakers. The dialog should be coming from the center speaker but that's not happening because you don't have one. You can probably tell the atv to play as stereo but I don't have one so can't comment.

Nope, not true. The audio track on the home release of Drive is just hosed. Same goes for Captain America and a few other recent releases. The only way I've found to fix this is to watch them on a loving computer with a compressor program (or VLC, as it can do it on it's own) balancing stuff out. It's a really lovely trend in home releases, and needs to be fixed.

Stutes
Oct 13, 2005

Tonight's the Night
Has anyone had to deal with watching 25fps content on a US Apple TV? I currently have a bunch of videos that were recorded at 25fps, and when I try to watch them they're a juddery mess. So far I've tried changing the video output setting to 50hz (which seems to work well, but is a huge pain and pretty user unfriendly), and attempting to re-encode the videos to 29.97fps using Handbrake (with mixed results). These are the only two solutions I've been able to come up with, and I'm not really happy with either - hopefully there's a solution I haven't thought of yet.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Anyone having issues with their aTV outputting 5.1 surround sound?

Everything was fine until one of the last updates and my aTVs are downmixing all my surround channels to stereo.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
Is it set to 5.1 in settings?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
As in forced Dolby Digital, yup.

Edit: well poo poo, it's working again. Maybe a reset was needed. Probably a gremlin.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jan 4, 2013

Stephen Harper
Apr 13, 2011

Canada is a Northern European welfare state in the worst sense of the term, and very proud of it.
I got an ATV for Christmas and I want to import videos into iTunes. Are there any good Windows programs for adding metadata, cover art, etc?

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

MetaX is worth the $10 in my opinion, but there is free trial to try it.

Use Handbrake to covert to m4v; there's a ATV3 profile out of the box. Every now and again it fails or only converts a portion, but 90% of the time it works. Can hardcode subs too, so check subscene to get the "foreign language parts only" subtitles if you don't have them.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

The Aphasian posted:

Use Handbrake to covert to m4v; there's a ATV3 profile out of the box. Every now and again it fails or only converts a portion, but 90% of the time it works. Can hardcode subs too, so check subscene to get the "foreign language parts only" subtitles if you don't have them.
Handbrake will reencode the video, which isn't ideal if it's already h.264. Assuming you're getting x264-encoded files in an MKV container, you just something to remux the content into an Apple TV-friendly container and maybe reencode a DTS audio track to AAC. I can't speak for Windows solutions, but I'm sure they exist.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Handbrake will reencode the video, which isn't ideal if it's already h.264. Assuming you're getting x264-encoded files in an MKV container, you just something to remux the content into an Apple TV-friendly container and maybe reencode a DTS audio track to AAC. I can't speak for Windows solutions, but I'm sure they exist.

MkvToMp4 does the job on windows most of the time - changing the container and re-encoding the audio if needed. It occasionally works with other files as well (I've had it work with AVI files encoded as XViD and MP3)

edit: poo poo, missed the part about metadata and coverart - no idea for that sorry mate.

Thwomp posted:

Actually, mkvtomp4 will add all the metadata too. It'll also check if iTunes has the movie and pull all the iTunes metadata and art.

Well poo poo, didn't know that. Cheers.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Jan 7, 2013

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

MkvToMp4 does the job on windows most of the time - changing the container and re-encoding the audio if needed. It occasionally works with other files as well (I've had it work with AVI files encoded as XViD and MP3)

edit: poo poo, missed the part about metadata and coverart - no idea for that sorry mate.

Actually, mkvtomp4 will add all the metadata too. It'll also check if iTunes has the movie and pull all the iTunes metadata and art.

I actually just used handbrake because mkvtomp4 couldn't successfully convert some file. Then I ran mkvtomp4 to add all the metadata. It only took 2 minutes to run through so both programs can be useful.

Stephen Harper
Apr 13, 2011

Canada is a Northern European welfare state in the worst sense of the term, and very proud of it.

The Aphasian posted:

MetaX is worth the $10 in my opinion, but there is free trial to try it.

Thanks, I think I'll give MetaX a try.

djbaseball24
Nov 27, 2006
Anyone know why when watching Tv shows on netflix, it doesn't go to the next episode right after the current one finishes? On my xbox it would say "10 seconds till next episode starts" and just auto play it.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=appletv+netflix+auto+play+next+episode&l=1

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
If you're going to make a snarky answer like that it might help if the resultant website doesn't say it doesn't work on the Apple TV.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Choadmaster posted:

If you're going to make a snarky answer like that it might help if the resultant website doesn't say it doesn't work on the Apple TV.

LMGTFY was run into the ground and stopped being funny years ago, but I don't understand what you mean by this. The answer is that it doesn't work on Apple TV.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Diabolik900 posted:

LMGTFY was run into the ground and stopped being funny years ago, but I don't understand what you mean by this. The answer is that it doesn't work on Apple TV.

I was assuming that djbaseball24 was aware that this particular implementation doesn't work on Apple TV, given that he pointed out pretty much exactly what the article said: it's available on consoles but not ATV. It seemed to me he was hoping for ANY method that might work - there are plenty of times things are not officially supported but are still doable through some clever workaround, making a single article claiming no official support not particularly helpful. If there are no known workarounds to his issue, "there's no way to do that yet" is a reasonable answer to a reasonable question.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
I didn't know you could hack the Netflix app on devices to provide additional functionality.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

dutchbstrd posted:

I didn't know you could hack the Netflix app on devices to provide additional functionality.
The auto-play is an officially implemented function. It's just not on the ATV app.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Is it a bug or a feature that my ATV3 can't airplay to multiple speakers like my macbook, iPad, etc. can?

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

FreakyZoid posted:

Is it a bug or a feature that my ATV3 can't airplay to multiple speakers like my macbook, iPad, etc. can?

I wasn't even aware that it could send audio to any speakers. I always considered it the receiver of the airplay content as opposed to the sender.

vvvvv Ah, I did not know that!

Legdiian fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 7, 2013

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Legdiian posted:

I wasn't even aware that it could send audio to any speakers. I always considered it the receiver of the airplay content as opposed to the sender.
The update in September added AirPlay-sender functionality to the Apple TV.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

Minidust posted:

The auto-play is an officially implemented function. It's just not on the ATV app.

That's my point.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

So if have an Apple TV 2 that I never plan to jailbreak I should just eBay it, buy an Apple TV 3 and pocket the £70-ish profit right?

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Yes.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Thwomp posted:

I actually just used handbrake because mkvtomp4 couldn't successfully convert some file. Then I ran mkvtomp4 to add all the metadata. It only took 2 minutes to run through so both programs can be useful.

Thank you for this, I was doing a lot of the work manually and, well, that was just being stupid.

e: Unrelated question for anyone... with Hulu Plus, is there a way to prevent shows in your favorites from adding episodes to the queue from past seasons/already watched? It's kind of annoying to have a show like South Park add 14 new episodes to the queue randomly.

WHOOPS fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jan 10, 2013

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

DangerKat posted:

Thank you for this, I was doing a lot of the work manually and, well, that was just being stupid.

e: Unrelated question for anyone... with Hulu Plus, is there a way to prevent shows in your favorites from adding episodes to the queue from past seasons/already watched? It's kind of annoying to have a show like South Park add 14 new episodes to the queue randomly.

I'm not sure exactly why Hulu Plus does that. I believe it has something to do with how they re-add/classify old episodes but I'm not positive.

I do agree that it's really annoying.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Raffles posted:

So if have an Apple TV 2 that I never plan to jailbreak I should just eBay it, buy an Apple TV 3 and pocket the £70-ish profit right?

Holy poo poo, I didn't realize they were worth so much. I knew they were worth a bit more than the 3, but not double. I saw your post and put mine up on amazon, sold for $199 basically instantly. Turned around and went to the Apple Store and bought a 3. Yay!

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
I sold my ATV2 for $170 about 3-4 months ago when the jailbreaking community had admitted that they weren't near a jailbreak anytime soon.

The way I look at it, I got paid to upgrade to a 1080p ATV since I found that I almost never used the jailbroken part of the device.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I sold an Apple TV 1 for 85 bucks on eBay. Pretty sweet. I never jail broke it or anything (don't even know if you can). Seemed too good to be true.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Ok so I've got my ATV 2 ticking away on eBay, hopefully I'll make a tidy profit. The question is though, should I hold off in the ATV 3. It came last March and Apple seem to be moving everything to yearly update schedules. Have there been any rumblings of an Apple TV refresh this spring or is common wisdom pointing towards the next ATV being an actual TV set?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Honestly, I don't think anyone has a clue what to expect with Apple TV. It's never been on an annual update schedule like Apple's other products, and if anything it seems like they could be moving away from following such a regular schedule. There have been all kinds of TV rumors over the past year, but nothing solid. I wouldn't expect anything soon, but really no one knows at this point.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

There's no obvious upgrades for the current Apple TV. They could treat it like the Airport Express... upgrade the wireless occasionally and then redo the case design every five years or so, while updating the software much more regularly.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
It's a $99 box and hasn't been upgraded with a great amount of regularity. I wouldn't try to "time" this purchase. Just get one and enjoy the glory that is AirPlay.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Raffles posted:

Ok so I've got my ATV 2 ticking away on eBay, hopefully I'll make a tidy profit. The question is though, should I hold off in the ATV 3. It came last March and Apple seem to be moving everything to yearly update schedules. Have there been any rumblings of an Apple TV refresh this spring or is common wisdom pointing towards the next ATV being an actual TV set?

AppleTV is definitely not a yearly update project, it's still considered a "hobby" by Apple in all respects.

Apple TV (1st generation)
January 8, 2007
Apple TV (2nd generation)
September 1, 2010
Apple TV (3rd generation)
March 7, 2012

I honestly don't see a refresh at all this year. The major revision for the 3rd gen was just pushing the resolution from 720p to 1080p and they're not going up any higher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Thanks for the info I guess I'll just pick up a 3rd gen box this weekend.

• Locked thread